Author Topic: Top 3 Rock Bands  (Read 10891 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Top 3 Rock Bands
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
gotta agree with you here, theyre becoming a nostalgia/sarcastic act... theyre music is pretty "blah" anyway,, just more terrible 80s pop rock...

Don't get me wrong, I really dug them in the 80s. In fact, Pyromania was one of the first cassettes I ever owned, and I played the shit out of it. Even saw them live when I was in high school. But to put them up there with the legends, or any of the hair bands for that matter, is just outrageous.

I liked a lot of silly hair bands back then; in hindsight, though, I had questionable taste.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I really dug them in the 80s. In fact, Pyromania was one of the first cassettes I ever owned, and I played the shit out of it. Even saw them live when I was in high school. But to put them up there with the legends, or any of the hair bands for that matter, is just outrageous.

I liked a lot of silly hair bands back then; in hindsight, though, I had questionable taste.
agreed
 Its fun to play some hair metal and rock out... but you always know how terrible it is and how dumb you were as a kid... hahah

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
agreed
 Its fun to play some hair metal and rock out... but you always know how terrible it is and how dumb you were as a kid... hahah

Yes, definitely a guilty pleasure, though some of it I'd actually consider good (Crue, Faster Pussycat, Skid Row come to mind). But the real rockers were listening to Maiden and Metallica back then. I didn't catch up 'til later.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
P
Yes, definitely a guilty pleasure, though some of it I'd actually consider good (Crue, Faster Pussycat, Skid Row come to mind). But the real rockers were listening to Maiden and Metallica back then. I didn't catch up 'til later.
SLAYER!

Im a 90s kid, but I grew up with 80s shit thanks to my sister... Crue, wbitesnake, etc. But I was secretly listening to Slayer and Metallica..
 Now days im into melodic metal/death metal/black metal/ brown metal/metally metal/etc

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
SLAYER!

Im a 90s kid, but I grew up with 80s shit thanks to my sister... Crue, wbitesnake, etc. But I was secretly listening to Slayer and Metallica..
 Now days im into melodic metal/death metal/black metal/ brown metal/metally metal/etc

Brown metal? Mariachi headbangers?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Shock, I actually saw Slayer in the early 80s, before I was even into rock really. Some chick took me to it on a date. Her brother played drums for the opening band, which was kind of a hair metal outfit. Then Slayer came on and people went nuts, scared the shit outta me. They covered Number of the Beast by Maiiden and I was convinced they were devil worshipers. Ha. I definitely wasn't ready for that shit.

This was in La Puente, CA in maybe '82/'83 at a Knights of Columbus Hall. Just a weekend gig for an up and coming LA band. I would have been so into it if it were 20 years later, but I was a f'n dork back then.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
Brown metal? Mariachi headbangers?
it was a joke, seeing as there is so kany forms of metal now days.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
it was a joke, seeing as there is so kany forms of metal now days.

Ah, very good. F it, it's all rock n roll to me. I hate the different boxes they stick bands in.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »
Oh, shit, I LOVE Ty. Been a huge King's X fan since Gretchen. Own all the albums and all Tabor's solo stuff, including website-only demo CDRs. Nice call.
King's X, hell yeah. I've seen them a dozen times...back in the day.

It's hard to name 3, but KISS is one of the worst bands musically ever.  The fact they've sold over 100 million albums is a testament to how gimmicks can work,..if driven enough.

Metallica is pretty strong their first 5 albums, Floyd, Pantera, Muse, Sting, list goes on and on.
In the end, it's subjective...except for KISS...worst band ever.
N

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
  • Women fall all over me and Pumpster is FUGLY.
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »
Easy.

What impresses me most about the clip you posted is the way the guitarists sing the backing vocals without moving their lips. Very impressive.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2013, 06:28:39 AM »
Pain of Salvation
Redemption
Opeth

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
Def Leppard writes catchy rock pop tunes that they think will sell.
other bands like Zep,Beatles...write what they want to write sometimes regardless of what will sell or has mass appeal.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
According to MSN, Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven is a cover of song originally recorded by Neil Sedaka in 1960. LOL

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
What impresses me most about the clip you posted is the way the guitarists sing the backing vocals without moving their lips. Very impressive.

You're just making shit up. That was live as they recorded the album. Crowes have never relied on studio magic, they're the real deal.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »

It's hard to name 3, but KISS is one of the worst bands musically ever. 

Kiss Alive is a great record.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
You're just making shit up. That was live as they recorded the album. Crowes have never relied on studio magic, they're the real deal.
Have seen the Crowes live, they are an excellent live band!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
Have seen the Crowes live, they are an excellent live band!

I've seen them several times, and you're right.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

Notice anything strange at 1:13? Watch again and this time keep your eyes focused on the guitarists' lips. It's a studio recording by a bunch of 70s style hippies. LOL

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
Notice anything strange at 1:13? Watch again and this time keep your eyes focused on the guitarists' lips. It's a studio recording by a bunch of 70s style hippies. LOL

I've seen it a million times, I have the dvd. There's a live audience. You're reaching.

Man, I'm debating a Def Leppard fanatic on the merits of music? I think I should stop.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »
I've seen it a million times, I have the dvd. There's a live audience. You're reaching.

Man, I'm debating a Def Leppard fanatic on the merits of music? I think I should stop.

Just admit it, they are lip-synching and doing it pretty badly like this band:

At least Def Leppard's live albums are real.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
rush
the guess who
van halen

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
Just admit it, they are lip-synching and doing it pretty badly like this band:

At least Def Leppard's live albums are real.

You're right, they are lip-synching, and they suck pretty bad. Leppard rules, buddy, don't know what I was thinking. Pour some sugar on me.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:01 AM »
You're right, they are lip-synching, and they suck pretty bad. Leppard rules, buddy, don't know what I was thinking. Pour some sugar on me.

Sarcasm = the lowest form of wit. You can laugh all you want about Def Leppard, but I find their music way more exciting and uplifting than The Black Crows' and most other rock bands. It's not their fault that by the end of the 1980s almost every American "hair metal" band had stolen their sound. Ask Brian May what he thinks of Def Leppard and also ask Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga what they think of them.

"Lyrically they write terrific songs, they have great hooks, great melodies. I think most other bands would love to do Leppard cast-offs if they could."

Steve Rosen, American music journalist

"They are regarded rightfully so as one of the key acts to come out of the eighties".

Eddie Trunk, American DJ/presenter

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2013, 06:23:10 AM »
You have to look at the band's complete body of work, not just a few songs, or an album. With that in mind, no other ROCK band can hang with this:

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »
Sarcasm = the lowest form of wit. You can laugh all you want about Def Leppard, but I find their music way more exciting and uplifting than The Black Crows' and most other rock bands. It's not their fault that by the end of the 1980s almost every American "hair metal" band had stolen their sound. Ask Brian May what he thinks of Def Leppard and also ask Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga what they think of them.

"Lyrically they write terrific songs, they have great hooks, great melodies. I think most other bands would love to do Leppard cast-offs if they could."

Steve Rosen, American music journalist

"They are regarded rightfully so as one of the key acts to come out of the eighties".

Eddie Trunk, American DJ/presenter

Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift used as support your opinion in a rock thread?  Yikes!