Author Topic: Making an active choice: Justifying your own beliefs  (Read 7078 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Making an active choice: Justifying your own beliefs
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:34:38 PM »
Different people, different faiths all over the world.

The one thing that I have difficulties with, are those people who never makes an active choice of faith.

They simply claim to believe in God, Allah, Buddah or whatever. Or not at all.

Ask yourself why you're a Jew instead of a Christian. Or a Christian instead of a Buddhist or Muslim. Did you make an active choice?

Or are you just following family and society tradition?

Sometimes when you ask a Christian person about his or her faith, like events from the Bible, the answer soon becomes something like: "I haven't thought much about it, I just know there is a God, and that is all I need to know"

I'm like: WTF?

Why are you Christian then? You may as well be Muslim, Jew or Wicca?

How many of you has made an active choice of Faith?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Making an active choice: Justifying your own beliefs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43:51 PM »

I would like to think I'm not just a sheep, but the truth is I haven't strayed too far from the fold. 

Most Americans who are Christians are probably in the same boat . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »
I was raised in a Christian home, so that's how I was introduced to it.  But I've spent a lot of time reading about other religions.  I'm very comfortable with the way I was raised and what I currently practice.  So much of what I believe and practice makes perfectly good sense, religion or no.  For example, the last six of the Ten Commandments can really keep you out of trouble and build great character (honoring your parents, no murder, fidelity, no stealing, tell the truth, and no hating  :)).  The book of Proverbs is loaded with great commonsense advice (e.g., staying out of debt, self-control, hard work, good judgment).  There is good financial advice (tithing), which I believe works.  Good advice for raising children (don't spare the rod).  Tons of great stuff, much of which can be applied to practical, every day living.   

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »
I made an active choice.  My family is one religion, and due to experiences in my own life, I have found my strength, comfort, and humility with another.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07:08 AM »
Different people, different faiths all over the world.

The one thing that I have difficulties with, are those people who never makes an active choice of faith.

They simply claim to believe in God, Allah, Buddah or whatever. Or not at all.

Ask yourself why you're a Jew instead of a Christian. Or a Christian instead of a Buddhist or Muslim. Did you make an active choice?

Sometimes when you ask a Christian person about his or her faith, like events from the Bible, the answer soon becomes something like: "I haven't thought much about it, I just know there is a God, and that is all I need to know"

I'm like: WTF?

Why are you Christian then? You may as well be Muslim, Jew or Wicca?

How many of you has made an active choice of Faith?

YIP
Zack

Choosing not to choose a traditional faith may not mean their faith in god is any less strong than someone who does.  It may indicate one of two things:

1.  They think organized is religion is BS and are turned off by it.
2.  They are so casual about their belief in god they se no reason to go to a church over it.

Most are in the 2 catagory i think. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:27:54 AM »
i made an axtive choice.

hense i dont believe in God at all.
carpe` vaginum!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:52:04 AM »
i was forced into my choice by drinking the blood of my sacrifice at a midnight mass, before we consumed his flesh....

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
I made an active choice.  My family is one religion, and due to experiences in my own life, I have found my strength, comfort, and humility with another.

which are?

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:05:02 PM »
I'm not here to push beliefs and feel that everyone has a right to choose etc.  Don't count me in with the God squad on here, cause trying to sway others is not my thing.

But to answer your question, I did not believe in Jesus before, now I do.  Nuff said.  ;)
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
ok, just curious.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:55 PM »
I'm not here to push beliefs and feel that everyone has a right to choose etc.  Don't count me in with the God squad on here, cause trying to sway others is not my thing.

But to answer your question, I did not believe in Jesus before, now I do.  Nuff said.  ;)

jesus is magic...:)

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »
I don't know if I would use the word magic, but I know what you mean.  The power of prayer certainly could be considered magical that's for sure. 
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »
I don't know if I would use the word magic, but I know what you mean.  The power of prayer certainly could be considered magical that's for sure. 

sorry actually i was making a attempt at a joke..new sarah silverman dvd...not everyone i do is a winner. but bump for serious answer and yes i think your right.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »
sorry actually i was making a attempt at a joke..new sarah silverman dvd...not everyone i do is a winner. but bump for serious answer and yes i think your right.

i guess i never really prayed so not sure about its magic.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
i was forced into my choice by drinking the blood of my sacrifice at a midnight mass, before we consumed his flesh....

What's really scary about your comment is: I can't tell if you're simply joking or not.  :-\
w

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 03:57:03 PM »
What's really scary about your comment is: I can't tell if you're simply joking or not.  :-\

thats the appeal of me edgy and sexy and dangerour all wrapped up in one.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33:17 PM »

Yes, I made an active, informed choice.  Although I believe in the Judeo-Christian God (the Father), I also believe that Jesus is the Messiah which precludes me from being a Jew.  I also can accept and am grateful for living in "Grace" as Jesus has provided for me.  If I were a Jew I would believe that the Messiah had not yet come and that I should follow many laws (some of which are impossible to keep).

Having read the bible (and continuing to re-read it), I am informed of fulfilled prophecies concerning Jesus' coming, His life, His death and historical events.  I also see the "stage set" for as of yet unfulfilled prophecies that are stated in the bible.

As far as I know, Christianity is the only one that teaches us that we are not good enough (nor ever will be good enough) on our own or through our own efforts to obtain and keep salvation and spend eternity with God. 

A lot of people take offense to the fact that they can't control or do what they need to in order to reach heaven.  Sometimes people take offense in being told they are sinners.  We are ALL sinners.  No one is perfect, not one of us humans.  And not one of us is any better than the next. 

Gratefully, Jesus Christ extends His Grace to us, that if we but accept the free gift of forgiveness, we are "saved."

These are my feelings and beliefs.  So yes, I feel I've made an "active" choice. :)

R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 07:33:20 AM »
Yes, I made an active, informed choice.  Although I believe in the Judeo-Christian God (the Father), I also believe that Jesus is the Messiah which precludes me from being a Jew.  I also can accept and am grateful for living in "Grace" as Jesus has provided for me.  If I were a Jew I would believe that the Messiah had not yet come and that I should follow many laws (some of which are impossible to keep).

Having read the bible (and continuing to re-read it), I am informed of fulfilled prophecies concerning Jesus' coming, His life, His death and historical events.  I also see the "stage set" for as of yet unfulfilled prophecies that are stated in the bible.

As far as I know, Christianity is the only one that teaches us that we are not good enough (nor ever will be good enough) on our own or through our own efforts to obtain and keep salvation and spend eternity with God. 

A lot of people take offense to the fact that they can't control or do what they need to in order to reach heaven.  Sometimes people take offense in being told they are sinners.  We are ALL sinners.  No one is perfect, not one of us humans.  And not one of us is any better than the next. 

Gratefully, Jesus Christ extends His Grace to us, that if we but accept the free gift of forgiveness, we are "saved."

These are my feelings and beliefs.  So yes, I feel I've made an "active" choice. :)

There is only one sin that cannot be forgiven. And that is to not believe in God,the holy spirit and Jesus as God's only son. The trinity.

So in essence, if you're a Christian, you will never have to worry about ending up in hell. Because the very premise that you believe in the religion, makes you a believer. And thus, will take you upstairs, and not downstairs.

But this is not something the Chrissies seems to get. They babble about Team Jesus, and refuses to even try reading the bible themselves, instead letting others interpret it for them during Bible Studies on Sundays in Church.

Just like Muslims have their imams interpreting sura's...

Let's hope more people start using their minds.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 08:27:09 AM »
There is only one sin that cannot be forgiven. And that is to not believe in God,the holy spirit and Jesus as God's only son. The trinity

This is only according to the "Bible." 

Which by that logic dooms 4-5 billion people.

So in essence, if you're a Christian, you will never have to worry about ending up in hell. Because the very premise that you believe in the religion, makes you a believer. And thus, will take you upstairs, and not downstairs.

This kind of logic causes more "sin" than anything among christians.

Let's hope more people start using their minds.

If more people used their minds they would see the fallicy in this.  Instead what most pastors and ministers want is blind acceptence.   Don't question God, he works in mysterious ways!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 09:34:11 PM »
I'm an re: deleteist.  i was rasied catholic, but as i got older i came to my realization that there isn't one right religion.  I guess i am more spiritual than religous. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:50 PM »
There is only one sin that cannot be forgiven. And that is to not believe in God,the holy spirit and Jesus as God's only son. The trinity.

I disagree.  Any sin can be forgiven.  The only ones that aren't are the ones you don't confess and turn away from.  And that only happens when (1) you know it's wrong and (2) continue to do it anyway, so much so that you can no longer hear the "voice" (i.e., your conscience) telling you it's wrong.  For instance, I think that's why some people who commit heinous crimes, like serial killers, don't have a "conscience," because they can no longer hear the voice telling them that murdering people is wrong. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 11:45:14 PM »
I disagree.  Any sin can be forgiven.  The only ones that aren't are the ones you don't confess and turn away from.  And that only happens when (1) you know it's wrong and (2) continue to do it anyway, so much so that you can no longer hear the "voice" (i.e., your conscience) telling you it's wrong.  For instance, I think that's why some people who commit heinous crimes, like serial killers, don't have a "conscience," because they can no longer hear the voice telling them that murdering people is wrong. 

if you're speaking about christianity, you're wrong and Hedgehog's right.  blaspheming the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. But i'm still uncertain as to why this is so.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »

Well, your reason looks good to me.

But it sure ain't Christianity.

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is to not be a believer in God as the only god and Jesus as his son.

As long as you believe that, you'll go to heaven. Doesn't matter how many sins you commit.

God will love you just as much as if you would've been perfect down here.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:57 AM »
Back to making active choices:

Maybe one of the reasons people have difficulty making active choices about their faith (or non-faith) is because it's often so wrapped up in family culture. You may not believe in Christ, but still enjoy Christmas celebrations with family/friends etc. So (and speaking from personal experience) even if you're agnostic/atheist/humanist, you often still tend to be either a "Christian atheist" or "Muslim atheist" etc., depending on upbringing, family culture. A percentage of people also make active choices based on insincere reasons, as in intermarriage (usually the "stricter" religion wins out Christian > Muslim, Christian > Judaism, Protestant > Catholic).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »
if you're speaking about christianity, you're wrong and Hedgehog's right.  blaspheming the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. But i'm still uncertain as to why this is so.

How do you define "blaspheming the Holy Spirit?"

Also, this isn't about who is right or wrong.  These are just opinions.