Author Topic: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey  (Read 18469 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
haha! I've always wanted to dine at The Adonis Plantation!! I'm in

I believe that True Adonis would be a warm and gracious host. He would teach us about the finer things in life. I would not mind learning about wine. I am sure TA has some excellent wine at his home. He needs to refine my palate.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »

haha, when did I say I would not like the Sous Vide steak? Where? Show me.

It may be wrong, but my taste buds are subjective.

It doesnt mean because its cooked the correct way that I will or anyone else will like it that way.

You are correct, according to science.

But I dont care what science says is the best way to cook it if I don't like it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »
I have a one cubic foot lunch box I use. There's no better way to cook a steak. I then burn that mother fucker (the steak) for about 45 secs per side on a HOT cast iron skillit.

I learned this from TA who posted it last year I think.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »

::face palm::

True Adonis, you are definitely the best troll on this forum.

I admit defeat.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »

::face palm::

True Adonis, you are definitely the best troll on this forum.

I admit defeat.
You didn` t lose anything though, you gained.  You learned that you actually like Sous Vide and that Gordon Ramsay uses it in his restaurants and you enjoyed the steak you ate at their restaurant.  I don`t see this as a bad thing and I certainly didn`t win anything.  I probably look like a bigger jackass than you to most people if one were to read this exchange, so I probably lost more than anyone here.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
You didn` t lose anything though, you gained.  You learned that you actually like Sous Vide and that Gordon Ramsay uses it in his restaurants and you enjoyed the steak you ate at their restaurant.  I don`t see this as a bad thing and I certainly didn`t win anything.  I probably look like a bigger jackass than you to most people if one were to read this exchange, so I probably lost more than anyone here.

If I ever visit your state, I will make sure to come over for some steak.  8) 8)
X

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: How to cook a steak
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »
I do, but its not necessary at all if you have a thermometer and a beer cooler.

The Perfect Steak:

1. Fill your Beer Cooler with hot water from the tap-hot as you can get it, and also boil some water in a pot.  What we want is water around 125-130 degrees for your Beer Cooler.  The boiled water can help you get to 125-130 and if you go over by mistake, just add some cooler water.  Once you get used to it, it only takes a second to hit your range in like 5 minutes or so.

2. Season Steak salt and pepper on both sides.  Get a Ziplock Bag, Freezer bags also work very well, put the steak in the bag. Now we want to vacuum seal it.  Here is a video on how its done.  Its very simple.  Just don`t get any water in the bag. 

Its very simple to do.  Just lower it in the water and the air will come out as you lower it and seal as you go, careful to not get any water in the bag.  The video will show you how.  Its simple.

3.  Leave steak in for an hour or you can just leave it in there longer until you are ready to eat.  The meat will be perfectly cooked and the temperature obviously will not rise above 125-130 resulting in perfectly cooked meat every single time.

4.  Now we want to sear the meat.  Put about 2 teaspoons of oil in a cast iron skillet or a skillet that can take high heat.  Heat your skillet just until it smokes.  As SOON as it starts put the meat in.  We only want 45 seconds-1 minute no more on each side.  So 45 seconds on one side, flip and 45 seconds for the other.

5. Let meat rest about 10 minutes to the juices absorb into the meat and you are now ready to eat. 

This results in a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time with no work really involved.  If you can measure the temperature of water, you can have a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time.  This is how the Most Expensive restaurants cook their steaks.  Its called Sous Vide.  They use machines that costs thousands of dollars but you can get the EXACT SAME results with just a beer cooler.  Its the ONLY way I ever cook steak because it comes out PERFECT every time.  Restaurant quality.  The other good thing is, you can have them in the cooler in the water bath for a long time and whenever you are ready, you can just sear it in the pan and BOOM, its done!

Give it a try, you will be shocked that you just made better than Restaurant Quality once you get it down perfectly.  Easiest thing you will ever do.

interesting... i never gave sous-vide a chance because i thought the vacuum sealing sounded like a pain.  that ziplock technique looks great though.

what machine do you use, adonis?  thinking about giving this a try. also, what is a "beer cooler"... ???  is that just a regular cooler?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
interesting... i never gave sous-vide a chance because i thought the vacuum sealing sounded like a pain.  that ziplock technique looks great though.

what machine do you use, adonis?  thinking about giving this a try. also, what is a "beer cooler"... ???  is that just a regular cooler?
Yeah, just a regular cooler.

The cooler will give you the same results as a Sous Vide machine if done correctly.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
Time to get a cooler :D

Charcoal is not cheap.
all drugs - TPPIIP

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2014, 11:16:51 PM »
heating up the water yourself sounds like a pain in the ass, though...

how much meat can i cook in one of these 11.2 liter machines?

http://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Supreme-PSV-00144-Cooking/dp/B007P25A38/ref=sr_1_3/179-3986710-8982706?ie=UTF8&qid=1390288418&sr=8-3&keywords=sous+vide

Can you do a whole chicken?  Pork shoulder?  Standing rib roast? :D

edit: nvm, just got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Controller-DSV/dp/B0088OTON4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390290117&sr=8-2&keywords=sous+vide

will test it out with an old crock pot first

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »
haha! I've always wanted to dine at The Adonis Plantation!! I'm in

TA feverishly awaits, to tickle your tastebuds!   :D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »

ad literam

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:20 AM »
I do, but its not necessary at all if you have a thermometer and a beer cooler.

The Perfect Steak:

1. Fill your Beer Cooler with hot water from the tap-hot as you can get it, and also boil some water in a pot.  What we want is water around 125-130 degrees for your Beer Cooler.  The boiled water can help you get to 125-130 and if you go over by mistake, just add some cooler water.  Once you get used to it, it only takes a second to hit your range in like 5 minutes or so.

2. Season Steak salt and pepper on both sides.  Get a Ziplock Bag, Freezer bags also work very well, put the steak in the bag. Now we want to vacuum seal it.  Here is a video on how its done.  Its very simple.  Just don`t get any water in the bag. 

Its very simple to do.  Just lower it in the water and the air will come out as you lower it and seal as you go, careful to not get any water in the bag.  The video will show you how.  Its simple.

3.  Leave steak in for an hour or you can just leave it in there longer until you are ready to eat.  The meat will be perfectly cooked and the temperature obviously will not rise above 125-130 resulting in perfectly cooked meat every single time.

4.  Now we want to sear the meat.  Put about 2 teaspoons of oil in a cast iron skillet or a skillet that can take high heat.  Heat your skillet just until it smokes.  As SOON as it starts put the meat in.  We only want 45 seconds-1 minute no more on each side.  So 45 seconds on one side, flip and 45 seconds for the other.

5. Let meat rest about 10 minutes to the juices absorb into the meat and you are now ready to eat. 

This results in a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time with no work really involved.  If you can measure the temperature of water, you can have a PERFECTLY cooked steak every single time.  This is how the Most Expensive restaurants cook their steaks.  Its called Sous Vide.  They use machines that costs thousands of dollars but you can get the EXACT SAME results with just a beer cooler.  Its the ONLY way I ever cook steak because it comes out PERFECT every time.  Restaurant quality.  The other good thing is, you can have them in the cooler in the water bath for a long time and whenever you are ready, you can just sear it in the pan and BOOM, its done!

Give it a try, you will be shocked that you just made better than Restaurant Quality once you get it down perfectly.  Easiest thing you will ever do.

Not true at all.  There are barely any fine steak houses that use sous vide.  Most just use super hot broilers.  Sous vide makes for a mushy interior.  It is good for low quality meat but for high quality, all it takes is high heat and a few minutes.  Troll on smeagol.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:38 AM »

Shall we call the servants from out of their quarters for this occasion?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
Not true at all.  There are barely any fine steak houses that use sous vide.  Most just use super hot broilers.  Sous vide makes for a mushy interior.  It is good for low quality meat but for high quality, all it takes is high heat and a few minutes.  Troll on smeagol.
Do you really want to go down this route?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »
Do you really want to go down this route?

Which top steakhouses use sous vide for their steaks?  Don't name these gastronomy guys like Achatz or Ardia, but name a true steakhouse.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »
You are a complete moron.  Sous Vide is specifically for EXPENSIVE cuts of meat that need to be cooked to perfection each and every time.

Mushy interior?  Explain to me how keeping the internal temperature at a perfect 130 degrees will make it mushy?  That doesn`t even make sense.  I am all ears.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »
I like this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

The Food Lab: 61-Day Dry-Aged, Sous-Vide, Torched-and-Seared Bone-in Ribeyes (AKA The Ultimate Steak)

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »
  I am all ears.

You are all ears. You look like an elf!  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »
You are all ears. You look like an elf!  ;D
So?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
I like this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

The Food Lab: 61-Day Dry-Aged, Sous-Vide, Torched-and-Seared Bone-in Ribeyes (AKA The Ultimate Steak)

You'd have to be the worst chef in america to fuck up a 61-Day Dry-Aged steak.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
You'd have to be the worst chef in america to fuck up a 61-Day Dry-Aged steak.

Looks tasty to me.   :D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
Shall we call the servants from out of their quarters for this occasion?

We can get the band together after we eat.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »
So?

Why doesn't dry aging spoil a steak? Any other time you couldn't keep beef that long without freezing it?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Why doesn't dry aging spoil a steak? Any other time you couldn't keep beef that long without freezing it?

no.  it draws out moisture which give the meat a richer taste. remember, they don't dry age steaks, they dry age the roast, then the outside become inedible so they trim a bit off the ends then slice it into steaks so you don't actually eat the spoiled part.

There are some steak houses that prefer a wet aging like Peter Luger's.