Author Topic: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey  (Read 18473 times)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Re: How to cook a steak with Gordon Ramsey
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »
Gordon Ramsay and Piers Morgan needs to be slapped by Evander Holyfield at the same time

goomba420

• Getbig III
  • It could always be worse. Positivity is key.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »
generation nothingness brainwashed by TV and a fast speaking chef

try my version and within a few months you will never go back to steak fried in oil and butter.

Are you kidding me? I am hardly brainwashed. I have grilled many steaks and while they are good, I feel that pan frying a steak w/ butter and sticking in the oven produces a much more flavorful dish.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:55 PM »
Are you kidding me? I am hardly brainwashed. I have grilled many steaks and while they are good, I feel that pan frying a steak w/ butter and sticking in the oven produces a much more flavorful dish.
naturally foods have great taste .. your numbed taste buds forgot this  ;)

goomba420

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:40 PM »
naturally foods have great taste .. your numbed taste buds forgot this  ;)

8)

I guess I just enjoy cooking a steak in it's own fat.. a grill just vaporizes it all.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
A lotta food elitists in this thread.  :D

I enjoy wild caught sashimi in its most basic simplistic form.

But I also enjoy a big ass fried bacon double cheeseburger with a sourdough bun and big ass steak fries.

There's too much enjoyable food on this earth to only eat one set way and never deviate.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:29 PM »
I am also a fan of fresh raw fish filet, sashimi style.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:50 PM »
I am also a fan of fresh raw fish filet, sashimi style.

You've seem my personally caught stash before  8)

goomba420

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:25 AM »
A lotta food elitists in this thread.  :D

I enjoy wild caught sashimi in its most basic simplistic form.

But I also enjoy a big ass fried bacon double cheeseburger with a sourdough bun and big ass steak fries.

There's too much enjoyable food on this earth to only eat one set way and never deviate.

Now i'm craving a big tub of wings.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
Now i'm craving a big tub of wings.

that's why you look like a tub of wings  ;D

goomba420

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:46 AM »
that's why you look like a tub of wings  ;D

:P

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »
As annoying as he is, I prefer Jamie Oliver's way of cooking steak - turns it over every minute and once cooked lets it rest for two minutes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:09 AM »
I`d rather eat pulled pork and cole slaw than a steak.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »
Indeed.

I hate that he perpetuates these cooking myths that are nothing but old wives tales.

Some on here aren't amongst the sharpest tools in the kitchen.

No pun intended.
®

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 02:21:28 AM »

And finally, the best of them all:

With this recipe I have cooked best stakes I have ever eat. Easy, fast and perfect results. Nothing more to say  ;D

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 02:44:12 AM »
Its a fact he is wrong.  Science proves Gordon wrong.  He loves to spout myths.

Saw his how to cook scrambled eggs and toast vid... Ramsay said you can measure a cooks skill by how he cooks scrambled eggs and toast.

Then he burns the toast and his eggs are runny.

A

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 05:43:28 AM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

I am with Adam...I don't flip just once.  I have a nice cast iron pan, flipping steak ever 20 seconds, then finish off in oven

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:16 AM »
You've seem my personally caught stash before  8)

Yes. THAT is true food .. all else is mere froth.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: How to cook a steak
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
I rub with olive oil, season with cracked pepper, sea salt, and various other spices depending on mood, pan fry for 3 min/side at med high, and then throw in the oven (in the same cast iron skillet i fryed it in) at 425* for 2 min.

best steaks evar.

Almost the same here, except only about a minute on each side.

Still want to try TA's homemade sous vide suggestion, but haven't gotten around to it.
Y

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
Dumb ass Bro-Cooking Gordon is also WRONG about steaks at room Temperature before cooking.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Myth #1: "You should let a thick steak rest at room temperature before you cook it."

The Theory: You want your meat to cook evenly from edge to center. Therefore, the closer it is to its final eating temperature, the more evenly it will cook. Letting it sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes will bring the steak up to room temperature—a good 20 to 25°F closer to your final serving temperature. In addition, the warmer meat will brown better because you don't need to waste energy from the pan to take the chill off of its surface.

The Reality: Let's break this down one issue at a time. First, the internal temperature. While it's true that slowly bringing a steak up to its final serving temperature will promote more even cooking, the reality is that letting it rest at room temperature accomplishes almost nothing.

To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

You can increase the rate at which it warms by placing it on a highly conductive metal, like aluminum,* but even so, it'd take you at least an hour or so to get up to room temperature—an hour that would be better spent by, say, actively warming your steak sous-vide style in a beer cooler.

*protip: thaw frozen meat in an aluminum skillet to cut your thaw time in half!

After two hours, I decided I'd reached the limit of what is practical, and had gone far beyond what any book or chef recommends, so I cooked the two steaks side by side. For the sake of this test, I cooked them directly over hot coals until seared, then shifted them over to the cool side to finish.* Not only did they come up to their final temperature at nearly the same time (I was aiming for 130°F), but they also showed the same relative evenness of cooking, and they both seared at the same rate.

*Normally I'd start them on the cool side and finish them on the hot like in this recipe, but that method would have obscured the results of this test.

The cooking rate makes sense—after all, the room temperature-rested steak was barely any warmer on the inside than the fridged-steak, but what about the searing? The outer layer of the rested steak must be warm enough to make a difference, right?

It takes five times more energy to convert a single gram of water into steam than it does to raise the temperature of that water all the way from ice cold to boiling hot.

Here's the issue: Steak can't brown until most of the moisture has evaporated from the layers of meat closest to the surface, and it takes a hell of a lot of energy to evaporate moisture. To put it in perspective. It takes five times more energy to convert a single gram of water into steam than it does to raise the temperature of that water all the way from ice cold to boiling hot. So when searing a steak, the vast majority of energy that goes into it is used to evaporate moisture from its surface layers. Next to that energy requirement, a 20, 30, or even 40 degree difference in the temperature of the surface of the meat is a piddling affair.

The Takeaway: Don't bother letting your steaks rest at room temperature. Rather, dry them very thoroughly on paper towels before searing. Or better yet, salt them and let them rest uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a night or two, so that their surface moisture can evaporate. You'll get much more efficient browning that way.

x2

I concur. Marinate that stuff overnight in the fridge and then take the steak out a couple hours prior to grilling.

Thirty minutes is not enough time for thick steak to warm up.
all drugs - TPPIIP

dustin

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »
I flip a few times. I tried flipping just once but I never liked the results so I just went with what works. Glad to see people exposing culinary bullshit.

Just do whatever works and trust your palette, sense of smell, your vision, etc. I do like Gordon but I never listen to people who talk in absolutes. There are always exceptions to any rules. But he teaches a lot of great basic techniques which can change your life. Some people don't know how to fry an egg or cook a steak and it's a travesty. I don't know how people don't know how to cook. You have to eat to live, right? How can people not know how to cook? ???

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
A brofessional cook.  Wow.  I find him annoying in the same way a fly is.  They both eat shit and bother people and have no place in a civilized home. 

Including on my TV.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
Almost the same here, except only about a minute on each side.

Still want to try TA's homemade sous vide suggestion, but haven't gotten around to it.
Now THAT will be the best steak you can ever eat as you have total control over it.  No guessing games involved and you can have it ready whenever you want.  Sometimes I have mine sitting in a water bath for 6 hours and when  I feel like having it, I just take it out for the 30-40 second sear on each side and done- a perfectly cooked steak at optimal temperature every time.

I do it with chicken as well.  If bodybuilders discovered Sous-Vide, their life would become 1000 times easier.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
Now THAT will be the best steak you can ever eat as you have total control over it.  No guessing games involved and you can have it ready whenever you want.  Sometimes I have mine sitting in a water bath for 6 hours and when  I feel like having it, I just take it out for the 30-40 second sear on each side and done- a perfectly cooked steak at optimal temperature every time.

I do it with chicken as well.  If bodybuilders discovered Sous-Vide, their life would become 1000 times easier.
enlighten me. Im interested.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
actually I have 4.

dick.

Just going for the lols here :)

I bet you cook better than me

dustin

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »

I think I already asked you before, but do you have a sous vide machine or do you do this using some other ingenious method? The prospect of having a perfectly done steak and simply needing to sear it before eating is VERY enticing.