Author Topic: The Exodus  (Read 37657 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The Exodus
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:10 AM »
See! there you go! this is the kind of information I was looking for...you actually managed to find some 'other' historical references outside of the bible! I'm proud of you!

Actually managed? You talk as if this was supposed to be difficult. Heck, if you watched The Ten Commandments, you'd see Cecil B. DeMille's references to those extra-biblical sources, documenting the Exodus, along with more references listed during the opening credits. And that movie is at least 50 years old.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
Actually managed? You talk as if this was supposed to be difficult. Heck, if you watched The Ten Commandments, you'd see Cecil B. DeMille's references to those extra-biblical sources, documented the Exodus, along with more references listed during the opening credits. And that movie is at least 50 years old.

I wouldn't be wasting keystrokes on Captain Equipoise if I were you.  After all, this is the same guy who thought you could look like Alfonso Del Rio without much gear.  
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=220550.msg4712375#msg4712375  
 ::)

Even his onetime ally in that thread Ursus now agrees they were delusional.

BTW can I fully hold my head up and admit to my epic delusion back in 08.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
I wouldn't be wasting keystrokes on Captain Equipoise if I were you.  After all, this is the same guy who thought you could look like Alfonso Del Rio without much gear.  

Just setting the record straight, regarding the documentation of the Exodus.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »

You bitter little twink! you must be so crushed that someone thinks it's possible to look like the muscle men you jack off over  ::)  ::)

like someone posted in the other thread: inject, eat, train, repeat.

It might take someone much longer to turn pro then it would a genetically superior person (like Coleman, etc.) but it's still possible for MOST people.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
Three years ago in this thread I talked about seeing "pillers of fire" during California wild fire season.  Fire tornados were recently caught on camera in Brazil!

http://hot.aol.com/2010/08/25/fire-tornado-caught-on-camera/?icid=main|main|dl8|sec1_lnk2|166082

Looks like Cecil b. DeMille wasn’t so far off! :o

PROBOUND

• Getbig II
  • What's Good To Ya, Might Not Be Good For Ya!
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »
I admit, I’ve always been fascinated with the Exodus story: the 10 plagues brought on Egypt because Pharoah would not free the children of Israel, the pillar of fire, and the parting of the red sea.  The last one is pretty incredible (more on that later), but I have personally seen a pillar of fire big enough and hot enough to block an attack as mentioned in Exodus and dramatized in the movie the 10 Commandments. 

Fire pillars can occur when intense heat warps weather patterns and form a kind of tornado.  Essentially what you get is a small tornado made of fire.  Several of them formed during the recent fires in southern California!

To refresh your memory the 10 plagues are as follows:

1.  rivers and other water sources turned to blood or blood red.  Exodus 7:14-25
2.  the city overrun with amphibians (frogs).  Exodus 8:1-15
3.  the city overrun with lice or gnats.  Exodus 8:16-19
4.  the city overrun with flies or beasts.  Exodus 8:20-32
5.  a disease killing Egyptian--but not slave--livestock.  Exodus 9:1-7
6.  boils on the Egyptians--but not the Hebrews.  Exodus 9:8-12 
7.  hail mixed with fire.  Exodus 9:13-35
8.  locusts.  Exodus 10:1-20
9.  darkness on the Egyptians--but not the Hebrews.  Exodus 10:21-29
10.  death of the firstborn--for the Egyptians but not the Hebrews.  Exodus 11:1-12:36

What do you make of the 10 plagues?  Do you think they or some version of them happened?  Do you think they were natural disasters, divine intervention, or all made up?  Skeptics and science writers have noted and explained in some detail that there are natural explanations for all of the plagues.

Think about it like so. If God created all things (which would include weather systems, laws of physics, gravity, etc, etc, etc), He would/could easily manipulate those same said systems to His advantage at will. 

Bright Future Ahead!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
If one incidence (or a series) of natural phenomenon happens once in your lifetime, once in a millennia, or just plain once in recorded history it can seem miraculous to those who witness it or impossible to those who don’t witness it.  For example these mammatus cloud formations.  The clouds take on a bubble-like shape, and appeared in the skies above Regina, Saskatchewan in Canada following a thunderstorm on June 26.  Have you ever seen this before?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »
If one incidence (or a series) of natural phenomenon happens once in your lifetime, once in a millennia, or just plain once in recorded history it can seem miraculous to those who witness it or impossible to those who don’t witness it.  For example these mammatus cloud formations.  The clouds take on a bubble-like shape, and appeared in the skies above Regina, Saskatchewan in Canada following a thunderstorm on June 26.  Have you ever seen this before?
Wow, what could have caused that?

Now, about your comments concerning the exodus, all the events that took place could be a coincidence like you said but 1 that can not be explained using your logic is all the first born that died, nothing in nature can distinguish to take the life away of only the first born, how would it know who the first born was? has to be the work of an intelligence and not a random act.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
It has been theorized that the first born (newborns?) could have been been killed by the poisoning or contamination of a food product that would only be fed to newborns.  It stands to reason that the diet available to the Egyptians was different/better than the diet available to the Hebrews, hence the Hebrews first born did not eat the contaminated food.  That's just one theory.

My primary point in this thread is that I believe some version of these events did in fact happen.  It may not have happened in the way that it has come down to us through literature, history, or Hollywood, but the outlines of the narrative correspond too well with what we know from modern science.  The order in which the plagues occur supports the veracity of the story; what may have seemed impossible or miraculous to previous generations can now be explained as rare but natural phenomena that we now all understand--like the cloud formations above!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
It has been theorized that the first born (newborns?) could have been been killed by the poisoning or contamination of a food product that would only be fed to newborns.  It stands to reason that the diet available to the Egyptians was different/better than the diet available to the Hebrews, hence the Hebrews first born did not eat the contaminated food.  That's just one theory.

My primary point in this thread is that I believe some version of these events did in fact happen.  It may not have happened in the way that it has come down to us through literature, history, or Hollywood, but the outlines of the narrative correspond too well with what we know from modern science.  The order in which the plagues occur supports the veracity of the story; what may have seemed impossible or miraculous to previous generations can now be explained as rare but natural phenomena that we now all understand--like the cloud formations above!

But, that's under the assumption that only infants and toddlers were killed. Scripture says the firstborn, which isn't limited to children. Firstborn males (20 or older) were often leaders of their households, when their fathers died or were too old to run the family business or lead their clans.

Remember the scene in The Ten Commandments, when Pharoah Rameses is planning the strike on the Hebrews and the angel of death shows up. The general says that he's known battle for 30 years but has never known fear until this night. Rameses orders another soldier to muster the troops and prepare to attack Israel.

The mist surrounds this soldier and he drops. With his dying words, he pleads to Pharoah, "Let the Hebrews go, great one. Or we are all DEAD MEN!" The general holds this soldier as he dies. Rameses asks him, "Is this your son?"; the general sadly replies, "....my firstborn!"

It is then that Rameses remembers the words of Moses and rushes to his son's room to see his queen at the bedside of their dying boy.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
But, that's under the assumption that only infants and toddlers were killed. Scripture says the firstborn, which isn't limited to children. Firstborn males (20 or older) were often leaders of their households, when their fathers died or were too old to run the family business or lead their clans.

Remember the scene in The Ten Commandments, when Pharoah Rameses is planning the strike on the Hebrews and the angel of death shows up. The general says that he's known battle for 30 years but has never known fear until this night. Rameses orders another soldier to muster the troops and prepare to attack Israel.

The mist surrounds this soldier and he drops. With his dying words, he pleads to Pharoah, "Let the Hebrews go, great one. Or we are all DEAD MEN!" The general holds this soldier as he dies. Rameses asks him, "Is this your son?"; the general sadly replies, "....my firstborn!"

It is then that Rameses remembers the words of Moses and rushes to his son's room to see his queen at the bedside of their dying boy.
Good post, now I feel like watching the movie  :)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »

I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.
I have read the Bible front to back multiple times. The Bible is very clear when it talks about the first born, in over 30 versus firstborn is mentioned in regard to an adult some even in their 60's and 70's, first born to an Israelite is a title you have till the day you die. In fact this goes even further back to all Hebrews.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »
I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.

Moses wasn't the firstborn. His brother, Aaron, was about three years older than he. And, he had an older sister, Miriam. The edict that Moses escaped applied to newborn males not firstborn males.

I used the movie, to make the point about firstborn not being limited to infants. That's also demonstrated in Scripture. Remember that Isaac wanted to give the birthright to Esau, the older of his twin boys. But, God instructed that the younger (Jacob) was to get it.

That's what makes the firstborn so valuable and why widespread DEATH of the firstborn was a major curse. It's not limited to babies.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2022, 05:12:24 AM »
Any of you ever been to Santorini?

This documentary mentions the 1500BC Santorini explosion theorized to cause the first biblical plague in Exodus.  That discussion begins at 28:00. 

It also identifies by name the Pharaoh who contended with Moses.  The Bible never names him but a combination of historical records and mummified remains identify him as Ahmose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmose_I

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2022, 09:39:18 AM »
Any of you ever been to Santorini?

This documentary mentions the 1500BC Santorini explosion theorized to cause the first biblical plague in Exodus.  That discussion begins at 28:00. 

It also identifies by name the Pharaoh who contended with Moses.  The Bible never names him but a combination of historical records and mummified remains identify him as Ahmose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmose_I

Then where did Cecil B. DeMille (and others) get the name, Rameses?