Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > History - Stories - and Memories

Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends

<< < (229/231) > >>

mcluvin:

--- Quote from: noworries on August 24, 2009, 07:27:53 AM ---Ray was 295 in 1986.  He was HUGE.  HIs legs and arms were just unreal.  And, Podda was a nut and an asshole at the same time

--- End quote ---

This has been a fantastic thread to read. Took me a few days to read it from begining to end and I enjoyed every page.

I always thought Ray sort of took a back seat to Mike's popularity. From a lot of things I read later on, I am led to believe Ray was bigger than Mike and one of the strongest bodybuilders at Golds. 296 lbs back in 1986 was unbelievable. I started competing in 84 (midwest) and we had just gone through all the smaller Olympia winner years.... Zane, Dickerson, Columbo, Samir (but ripped) and leading into the mass years of Haney.

Somewhere in the begining someone asked about a low budget movie made about a bodybuilder who travels to the Mecca, lives in his van, and meets a girl. For some reason I remember that damn movie and I think the bodybuilder was Tim Kimber (or something like that)? Wasn't he also an owner/employee of  Golds in the early 80's?
      I only made 2 treks to Golds. The first was with my dad when I was 15 (77' 78'?)and he took a photo of me in front of the windows. It's the same windows of the photo of Ron Tueful and girlfriend. I think that was the 2nd Golds gym location? I met Charles Glass (thought he was Robbie, he laughed), Mike Menzer was there with those sick viens and huge arms. About 3 years later I made the trip with friends and Golds was at the 3rd location. All I remember was big overhead garage doors in the back. This time (80' or 81') I met Bill Grant (he signed my Pumping Iron book) and a ton of HUGE guys I didn't know. Some of them sent me over to World Gym and told me the champs often train at both. Remember, we didn't have computers back then and the only info we got was from muscle mags!!  I walked down to World and got Ferrigno's autograph after he finished. This was the World Gym that was upstairs and the windows looked out onto the street. Tiny parking garage under it where Ferrigno parked. All we ever dreamed about was getting big and moving to the Mecca to train. Only one guy ever left our humble midwest gym. He packed up his crap and his wife one day and said I'm gone there is nothing for me here. He went west to Golds and we only got letters or phone calls from him on occasion. His name was Bob Sears and until this thread I never knew what happened to him. I'm glad to hear he lived his dream and someone even compared him to Arnold. I'm also sad to hear he fell on hard times, I thought he and his wife would be together til the end. I've been trying to get ahold of our old training partners to update them on Bob and any further would be appreciated. Sorry to ramble on needlessly but I really want to thank the guys that started and kept this thread going.....Only, Sunt, 619 and all the others. Bodybuilding was A small family compared to some sports and full of unique people in the 70's and 80's.
         Thanks again !

dj181:
Does anybody have any stories about Arthur Jones? From some of the things I've read about him, mainly from one of Ellington Darden's writings, he was a very interesting and brillant guy.

Howard:

--- Quote from: dj181 on May 20, 2010, 01:38:14 PM ---Does anybody have any stories about Arthur Jones? From some of the things I've read about him, mainly from one of Ellington Darden's writings, he was a very interesting and brillant guy.

--- End quote ---
I actually went to his gym, back in the early 80's in Deland FL. It was run by El Darden and I got put thru an orginal full body naut workout. Unreal, and as hardcore as you want to be. Dr Draden was pretty adament about straying for the original Naut ideals.
Place was clean but sparse and no AC on or available expcet his lil' office as I remember.

dj181:
Yeah, those full-body circut routines of the nautilus training program are a great conditioning tool, but one can basically get the same conditioning effect by performing interval training on a stationary bike.

Powerlift66:

--- Quote from: wes on March 24, 2005, 03:34:57 PM ---Here`s a story I was reminded about because of the talk about wrestlers............... ...I had just started one of my zillionth comebacks to the gym after having some personal problems,must have been late 1980`s.......not too sure.

All the WWF wrestlers were in town at the Civic Center, and a lot of them stopped in to train at the gym I worked out at................Mr. America and Mr. Universe winners Jeff King,and Matt Dufresne trained there, along with Mr. World Richard Roy, and a host of other animals that competed on a regional,local,or national level in bodybuilding,powerlifting,and arm-wrestling.

Well I went in one night to train, and I saw "Black Jack" Mulligan who was huge,as well as Virgil who was billed as the bodyguard, for I beleive his name was Ted Dibiasi the "Million Dollar Man" or some shit like that !!  LOL

These guys were huge like Mulligan, but Virgil and a few of the others looked like kids standing next to King or Dufresne.........now for the highlite of the story........Ted Arcidi was also present, and the gym owner who was a pretty good powerlifter, knew him from some contests or something........anyway,I saw Arcidi doing skullcrushers with a curling bar and three 45 pound plates perside, plus a few smaller plates to boot..........incredibly strong, and did reps with this weight with ease.

After he got done training, he asked some young kid who was there, if he would go get him a milkshake and a hero sandwich...........he gave the kid a $100.00 bill and the kid went up the block to get Ted his food...........he came back with the food and Arcidi tells him to keep the change..........I couldn`t beleive it..........I woulda` went if I knew I could have made about 90 bucks doing it!!  LOL  :)

--- End quote ---

Great story. I hang around with Ted, and I tell you, he really is that generous. A great guy and friend...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version