Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > History - Stories - and Memories

Rheo Blair Protein/Supplement Evolution

(1/21) > >>

pac-man:
Is was wondering if anyone on here had used Rheo Blair's protein supplement back in the day?  From what I read it seems to have a reputation of being pretty inovative for the industry at the time.

Also were there any supplements worth taking back in the 60s or 70s?  Just curious how supplements were percieved back then.

Montague:
Pac,
I wasn’t around for it, but I’ve conversed with several people, including JPM, and have done some reading on my own.
Here’s some of what I know, and bear in mind, I’m going from memory here.

Rheo Blair, like Vince Gironda, was ahead of his time.
I believe his real name was Irvin Johnson – not sure why he changed it. He was born in 1921 and became a nutritionist some time in the 1940’s. Blair was also heavily involved in bodybuilding nutrition, which was quite unusual, as bb was a rather obscure activity in those days.

Sometimes called “The Original Dr. Adkins,” Blair was the first authority on the matter to advocate a high fat/low carb diet – even for his bodybuilders.

He produced a line of supplements, the most popular of which was his protein mix.
The powder consisted of a blend of egg and milk proteins. Blair recommended mixing it with heavy whipping cream or half & half. The addition of the cream supposedly created an amino acid profile and fat:protein ratio that closely resembled human breast milk, which Blair believed was a superior growth formula.
The powder was on the pricey side, but people who used it SWORE by its effectiveness.

Blair also made some kind of amino tablets or capsules, of which guys took PLENTY. Dessicated liver tablets were quite popular back then, and I believe Rheo also had his guys taking those as well.

Part of the effectiveness – I believe – of Blair’s instruction was nutrition timing, and literally being in a constant anabolic state. Between the shakes, meals, and pills, he had those guys consuming “something” throughout the day. The tablets made it easy to keep aminos in the blood without the need of eating a solid meal every hour.

If interested, many guys today who add protein powder to whole milk or cream report better gains. Beef liver tablets are, well, beef liver. You know the importance of red meat in building muscle, and liver tabs are still popular with many trainers today.
Amino acids? Look at Milos’ pre, intra, and post workout drinks – lots of aminos in those.
Blair was onto a lot of things that didn’t become popular for another 50 years, and you can see their presence today.

Definitely worth reading and learning more on your own.

Montague:
FYI:

If you’re really interested in the whole “Mother’s Milk” concept, you ought to investigate to find the amino & fat composition of actual breast milk. Find as much specific info as you can, and then compare it to other brands, particularly Muscle Milk’s formula, as they like to tout their protein as being closest to boob juice.

Then report your findings to your good buddy Monty so he doesn't have to do the research.
 :)

pac-man:
Good info, thanks Montage.  Ya from what I've read some guys were downing literally one hundread aminos per day.  

It seems they had some great supplements but Weider had a better ability to market his own supplements through his magazine, endorsements and so on.  

Oh and I believe he changed his name for marketing purposes.  

pac-man:

--- Quote from: Montague on May 16, 2009, 08:39:22 AM ---FYI:

If you’re really interested in the whole “Mother’s Milk” concept, you ought to investigate to find the amino & fat composition of actual breast milk. Find as much specific info as you can, and then compare it to other brands, particularly Muscle Milk’s formula, as they like to tout their protein as being closest to boob juice.

Then report your findings to your good buddy Monty so he doesn't have to do the research.
 :)

--- End quote ---

I have actually read up on the protein.  Many of todays' protein Muscle Milk, Syntha 6, ect..have formula's that are comparible to Blair's protein.  Slower digesting proteins such as casein are similar.

I run a small sports nutrition store.  I see how things are marketed today and was curious on how things were done 30 or 40 years ago. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version