Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 295382 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: IroNat
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2018, 05:08:23 AM »
Do you work out at home or a commercial gym?  Have you always trained with such abbreviated routines?

I train at home.  Haven't belonged to a commercial gym since '94.  I have a very adequate home gym.  Mainly free weights with just a few basic machines like a lat pull, seated calf, leg curl/extension.

Nothing against commercial gyms though and I've casually thought about joining one for the social aspects.  The whole chain gym thing kind of turns me off frankly.  Getting on the credit card deduction thing doesn't appeal to me.  In my town there are several chain gyms.  I've only been in a Golds one time in the early 1980s when they were first franchising.  There is a big one about 2 miles from me.  Other chains and Crossfit gyms nearby too.  Only one garage type gym but it is a sports training/personal training place the son of an acquaintance of mine owns so it would not be right for me.

As far as routines I've done them all.  Full body, splits, HIT, etc.  All depends on the goal.

I'm doing my current routine because I'm trying to regain strength.  I'm getting older (60) and want to have more strength.  Hopefully to retain as much strength as I can.  So the best way to do that is low reps and long rest periods (4 minutes) between sets so you can lift heavier.  Even though only a few exercises it takes me 1.5 to almost 2 hours.

For example on a squat day I do maybe 8 warmup sets and then 8 more work sets.  So that takes well over an hour just for that.  Then I do calves which is fast (3 sets) and maybe curls and some abs.  So it takes almost 2 hours!  

To get stronger requires a progressive system of training.  There has to be a method by which you progressively increase the weight lifted.  It doesn't have to be complicated but there has to be some methodology.  Bodybuilding is different since it focuses on pumping the muscle with higher reps and using a variety of movements.  Not as conducive to maximal strength gains.

The way I am training currently I have to forget about getting pumped and all that bodybuilding mentality.  Bodybuilding is good.  "Building the body".  

Bodybuilding as it practiced is unhealthy.  

Kwon3

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
Dang, you're old. But in good shape and taller than me, so good for you @ that training regimen. It's not for beginners.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
Dang, you're old. But in good shape and taller than me, so good for you @ that training regimen. It's not for beginners.

I am "old".  It really sneaks up on you.  I remember being 16 or so and thinking how old 40 would be.  It was inconceivable.

It's a bit scary and it sucks.  Time seems to go by much faster too the older you get.  There is no nobility in being old.

Another unsettling thing is people in your generation you know start dying or getting seriously ill.  That's not cool.

I just hope when I go it's quick.  None of this dying slowly in a hospital crap.  

Don't get old and be poor too.  Save and invest to avoid that double whammy.

Whatever you make save 15% and invest it wisely.  Eat crackers if you have to.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2018, 07:40:04 AM »
10/21

Squats - 4x3 and 4x2
Calf Triset - 3 sets

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
10/22

Muscle clean & press - 5x3 and 3x2  then 5,5,9 with less weight
Bench press - 5,5,5,4,4
Weighted leg raises - 3x12
Stomach vacuums - 2 x 1 minutes

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
I train at home.  Haven't belonged to a commercial gym since '94.  I have a very adequate home gym.  Mainly free weights with just a few basic machines like a lat pull, seated calf, leg curl/extension.

Nothing against commercial gyms though and I've casually thought about joining one for the social aspects.  The whole chain gym thing kind of turns me off frankly.  Getting on the credit card deduction thing doesn't appeal to me.  In my town there are several chain gyms.  I've only been in a Golds one time in the early 1980s when they were first franchising.  There is a big one about 2 miles from me.  Other chains and Crossfit gyms nearby too.  Only one garage type gym but it is a sports training/personal training place the son of an acquaintance of mine owns so it would not be right for me.

As far as routines I've done them all.  Full body, splits, HIT, etc.  All depends on the goal.

I'm doing my current routine because I'm trying to regain strength.  I'm getting older (60) and want to have more strength.  Hopefully to retain as much strength as I can.  So the best way to do that is low reps and long rest periods (4 minutes) between sets so you can lift heavier.  Even though only a few exercises it takes me 1.5 to almost 2 hours.

For example on a squat day I do maybe 8 warmup sets and then 8 more work sets.  So that takes well over an hour just for that.  Then I do calves which is fast (3 sets) and maybe curls and some abs.  So it takes almost 2 hours!  

To get stronger requires a progressive system of training.  There has to be a method by which you progressively increase the weight lifted.  It doesn't have to be complicated but there has to be some methodology.  Bodybuilding is different since it focuses on pumping the muscle with higher reps and using a variety of movements.  Not as conducive to maximal strength gains.

The way I am training currently I have to forget about getting pumped and all that bodybuilding mentality.  Bodybuilding is good.  "Building the body".  

Bodybuilding as it practiced is unhealthy.  

The commercial gym I'm training in is a hard core dump with a lot of very old equipment. Most of the machines are 30 years old. He doesn't require a contract so no credit card deductions. Pay $99 for 4 months. When it's over it's over. The super gym a mile away.  It has the latest and greatest equipment. No chalk allowed or deadlifts. Maybe has 30 treadmills and other cardio equipment. The beautiful people train there in their perfect workout clothing. A lot of hot women in those panty hose work out pants. The commercial gym I go to the people never has a fashion show. It's either old people or hard core people working out.

I have a nice set up in my basement. I built the house with 9 foot ceiling in the basement so I can lift over head. For all the decades of working out at home and work gyms I found my recent love of working out in this commercial gym such a nice change of pace. So many serious workout guys come to this place. Again it's a collection of old people, cops, firemen, convicts and some others.

A few pictures of my basement gym.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
A few more. Really hard to see it all. Not as dark as the pictures show. I got satellite radio down there. The music is always what I like.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Last pic for now.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »
That's an excellent home gym you have.  Very nice equipment.

And $25/mo for the commercial gym you go to is a great deal.

I wish my basement ceiling was higher so I could lift overhead in it.  If I do that I have to go in my garage.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
That's an excellent home gym you have.  Very nice equipment.

And $25/mo for the commercial gym you go to is a great deal.

I wish my basement ceiling was higher so I could lift overhead in it.  If I do that I have to go in my garage.

When I had my stuff in a low ceiling basement I did my presses seated. Wasn't a bad situation.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »
10/24

Squats - 5x3 and 3x2 then 5x5 at reduced weight
Calf Triset - 3 sets
Dumbbell side bends - 3x12

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
10/24

Squats - 5x3 and 3x2 then 5x5 at reduced weight
Calf Triset - 3 sets
When you squat do what style do you use? Is it a  power lifter style, Olympic lifter or bodybuilder style? I define it like this. Power is very low trap placement. Generally a very wide stance and bending at the waist going slightly more than a half squat. I think Mike Bridges the power lifting great called it a hip lock.  Olympic is high trap placement with a medium leg stance with the knees outward. Upright stance and really sinking it. I define a bodybuilder squat as a cross between the two. Looking at the way Franco and Arnold squatted defined it's form me. Some what high bar placement. Narrow stance going deep but not all the way like an Olympic lifter.  I use the the third method most of the time now when I bar squat.

My biggest addition to my lifting routine is adding a few select body weight exercises. I've gotten some really good feed back from adding one  set of body weight squats at the end of my weight leg workout. Try it sometime. Do 50 reps of deep moderate cadence body weight squats. I think you'll agree it was worth it. The pump is fantastic and the next day you will feel the results in the form of soreness. Having good feed back too over doing single leg calf raises with the leg locked. Most guys using big numbers with a standing calf machine are surprised they can't get 15-20 good reps.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2018, 04:20:51 AM »
I always used what you call the bodybuilder squat.

While I have varied it at times I generally used a very narrow stance, like only about a handswidth and went to parallel.  I thought this would hit my quads more.

In my early 20s I used to go pretty heavy and used ace bandages for knee wraps.  My knees got pretty sore.  I don't use wraps now.

Lately I've been trying to increase my flexibility and doing more of an olympic style going below parallel.  For these I use a wider stance.  I set the safety pins below parallel and go down until the bar rests on the pins, pretty much as low as I can go.  A slight pause and then back up.

I'm being as careful as possible.  They don't bother my knees so far.

Never did low back squats like powerlifters.

For calves I do my standing raises with a barbell in a power cage using a 2x10 for a block.  Usually around 8-15 reps per set.  I could never get many reps with heavy weights.  Right now I'm using 250 lbs. and get 10-15 reps with a pause at the bottom.  Superset with front calf raises (no weight for about 30 reps) and seated calf raises for 12-15 reps.

Here's an interesting pic of the stress on the knee at various angles.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
10/25

Muscle clean & press - 6x3 and 2x2
Standing behind neck presses - 5x5 light weight
Bench press - 4x5 and 1x4

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
10/2

Squats - 6x3 and 2x2
Calf triset - 3 sets

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
10/28

Muscle clean & press - 7x3 & 1x2
Behind neck press - 5,4,4,4
Bench press - 5x5
Wide grip barbell curls - 2x20

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Thinking about going to a whole body routine instead of a split. I just can't figure out how to split my workout time between my lifting and running. I find it really tough to do a double in the same day.  Years back I did a whole body routine twice a week and spent the other days  running. Made incredible progress with my running times doing that. Also thought splitting the body in half then lifting a day and running a day. Haven't decided. I see all my friends who are good runners never lift. All the ones doing great with strength training either do no cardio or a joke of a cardio session. Months away from 60 and I'm still trying to figure out training.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »
Train full-body with weights 2-3 days a week and run on off days.

or

Run on same days you train and rest completely on off days

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2018, 06:40:39 AM »
10/31

Squats - 7x3 & 1x2
Calf triset - 3 sets
Wrist roller - many sets between other exercises

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
11/1/18

Muscle clean & press - 8 sets of 3 (8x3)
Bench press - 1x5 & 4x4
Wide grip barbell curls - 3x12
Wrist roller - Up and down twice x 3 sets

I'm going to do 2 days on and 2 days off and see how I feel.

So taking tomorrow and next day off.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »
11/4

Two days off felt like a LONG time.  Did I notice any positive effects?

Not really.  I felt pretty sore on the second day.  Soreness is usually worse on the 2nd day off.

Was I noticeably stronger with the extra day off?  No.

I'll see what happens tomorrow with pressing.

Today:

Squats - 8x3
(Did not do a triset of calves today but did each exercise separately which takes longer.  I think doing the triset is more efficient.)
Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 10-12
Reverse calf raise - 3 sets of 30 (bodyweight)
Seated calf raise - 3 sets of 10-15
Wrist roller - 3x12

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
11/4

Two days off felt like a LONG time.  Did I notice any positive effects?

Not really.  I felt pretty sore on the second day.  Soreness is usually worse on the 2nd day off.

Was I noticeably stronger with the extra day off?  No.

I'll see what happens tomorrow with pressing.

Today:

Squats - 8x3
(Did not do a triset of calves today but did each exercise separately which takes longer.  I think doing the triset is more efficient.)
Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 10-12
Reverse calf raise - 3 sets of 30 (bodyweight)
Seated calf raise - 3 sets of 10-15
Wrist roller - 3x12

I find it weird that I rarely feel sore from training. I get stiff from running but I think I have been lifting for so long I never get sore from lifting. Maybe if I went to volume it would be a shock to the muscles and I would get sore.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »
11/5

Muscle clean & press - 1x3 and 7x2
Bench press - 5,5,4,4,4
Wrist roller - 3x12

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
11/7

Squats - 1x3 and 7x2 (added 10 lbs and begin new cycle)
Calf triset - 3 sets
Wide grip barbell curls - 5 sets of increasing weight with reps of 10-12
Wrist roller - 3 sets of 3 times each set
Grip machine - 3x12

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
11/8

Clean & press - 2x3 and 6x2