Author Topic: Old Garage condemned & destroyed.garden shed less than 200sqft no permit needed  (Read 810 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'

City of Houston condemned my freestanding double garage...Made me have it taken down.

I went by some shed dealers and they told me that if your garden shed is less than 200 square feet...you don't need any permits to build it. 

What do you guys think of the idea of building two garden sheds next to each other and use them for garages?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Build a real garage and get permits.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
yes...but each one smaller than 200 square feet...

IroNat

• Getbig V
Why did they condemn your garage?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
The lot my parent's old house sits on doesn't drain properly any more  (one acre lot...inside the city)...There was a water department well just down the street and the land has subsided some...and the small ditch that previous drained down the side of the lot doesn't drain where the  garage was and so the water after heavy rain slowly  degraded the thing...But the reason listed on the nastygram was the hole in the roof that I never noticed...

IroNat

• Getbig V
I'd go talk to the department that deals with this and feel them out about what you can do.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
The garage is gone...I am going to check...but I have heard from several others that if your planned shed is less than 200 square feet...no permits are needed.  I was thinking of a prefab.

IroNat

• Getbig V
The garage is gone...I am going to check...but I have heard from several others that if your planned shed is less than 200 square feet...no permits are needed.  I was thinking of a prefab.

In my town you can put up a shed without permits as long as it's not on footers, i.e. not a permanent structure.

Better check with your building dept.

Dave D

• Getbig V
What do you want to use the space for?

Storeage? Or are you parking cars inside?

Let that help you make your decision.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
I believe you can do what you want with two sheds, but i know sometimes they classify things as a total and not separate building space.

Dealing with the City is a major pain in the ass, but there are some helpful people there.

I wouldn't trust the shed dealer, reach out to someone in building permits.

https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/

sync pulse

• Getbig V
What do you want to use the space for?

Storeage? Or are you parking cars inside?

Let that help you make your decision.

Both...190 square feet is roomy for a vw golf and with lots left over for other things.

and right now I have zero storage space for outdoor equipment (Lawnmowers and the like)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
I believe you can do what you want with two sheds, but i know sometimes they classify things as a total and not separate building space.

Dealing with the City is a major pain in the ass, but there are some helpful people there.

I wouldn't trust the shed dealer, reach out to someone in building permits.

https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/

A nice clerk at the Neighborhood Department was great with me...He suggested strongly that a local developer wanted to motivate me to sell that lot for cheap...

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
A nice clerk at the Neighborhood Department was great with me...He suggested strongly that a local developer wanted to motivate me to sell that lot for cheap...

Is this in the Heights?

I might know that developer. ;D

I worked in residential and commercial land development for 15 years.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
Is this in the Heights?

I might know that developer. ;D

I worked in residential and commercial land development for 15 years.

Near Parker Rd and North I45...Not far from Mattress Mack's place...Gentrification is just now setting in...

That conversation with that guy with the city made me decide to never sell to someone who approaches me...

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Sync pulse be a man dig into clay a good foot n a half set ur 6x4's in there with concrete atleast one at each corner cut roots with sawzall , use treated wood  very simple basic strong enough
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Leave the slab of the existing garage and rebuild off of that. Save money by not having to pour a new slab, and also not have to worry about any new setbacks on existing lot lines.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Near Parker Rd and North I45...Not far from Mattress Mack's place...Gentrification is just now setting in...

That conversation with that guy with the city made me decide to never sell to someone who approaches me...

Ahh, I know that area well!

Yeah, there are a lot of developers trying to poach properties.

At least your value is going up.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
Leave the slab of the existing garage and rebuild off of that. Save money by not having to pour a new slab, and also not have to worry about any new setbacks on existing lot lines.

There is no slab...the floor of the garage was originally oyster shell...That used to be common close to the Gulf Coast...Anyway the building demolition company hauled almost everything away.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
There is no slab...the floor of the garage was originally oyster shell...That used to be common close to the Gulf Coast...Anyway the building demolition company hauled almost everything away.
mix some concrete very easy boy
A