Author Topic: explain the theory of incline pressing for upper chest from human kinetics POV  (Read 5725 times)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
If I had to theorize (and that's all I'm doing), I'd guess it's because the clavicular head inserts a little differently on the humerus versus the sternocostal head of the pec major. And when you externally rotate the humerus, you put that clavicular head in a position of stretch. And we know when you put a muscle in a position of stretch during a movement, you can preferentially recruit it (sort of like the way the outer head of the biceps is preferentially recruited when the shoulder is in extension, like in an incline DB curl).

But again, just theorizing.

And no, not smart enough to work in kin or chiropractic or physiotherapy. I did do quite a few courses in neurophysiology and human physiology (not enough to minor in...fell a few credits short), but that was a long time ago! Now I'm an armchair physiologist. Just enough left in the old noodle to make me a danger to myself!

Bullshit. Im certain you posess a higher intellect than I do by the things you post about and how well you articulate them.

Either way, you're a damn good armchair physiologist. I wasn't aware of that EMG activity with humoral external rotation. Keep bringing the truth bro  8)

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
And no, not smart enough to work in kin or chiropractic or physiotherapy.*snip*

I actually doubt that.  I know some chiros quite well, and I'm willing to bet you're at least as smart as they are ;)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
I actually doubt that.  I know some chiros quite well, and I'm willing to bet you're at least as smart as they are ;)

Yes huffing paint is part of the curriculum.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
conclusion of this thread???:

*incline presses is effective for people who want to put less tension on the lower chest but will not build upper chest more than flat press

*dumbell presses with hammer/doublefist grip BUT wide execution is best for chest activation

correct?

myosaurus

• Getbig III
IMO the concept of incline for upper pecs came from concept of gravitational pull(90 degree to the floor) and the muscle that are aligned directly to the effective line of pull or path of motion, that is if you're pressing the weight straight up like smith press. inclines done with wide grip and bar directly in line with the neck or collar bone does seem to emphasize upper pec a lot more(like that Jason Huh video).
take a look at 5 different people doing inclines in the gym, chances are they're all doing it different somewhat. those who mastered posing(MMC) like high level bodybuilders will have best chance of doing it right, or optimum I'd say.