Author Topic: Are bodybuilders overfed????  (Read 16364 times)

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
Re: Are bodybuilders overfed?????????????????????????????????????
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 05:39:27 AM »
Don't be delusional with your protein.  Excessive protein lowers test levels, which hurts your gains and recovery even more than inadequate protein intake!

Can you direct me to any studies or scientific literature that back that up? I don't doubt that excessive protein (or excessive anything, for that matter) can be harmful, but I would like to know how much protein is enough to consistently lower test levels in a given sample population of bodybuilders / weight trainers. And I would certainly hope that any such study would take reasonable measures to rule out any other possible causes of lowered test (drug use, etc) in the subjects.
Greed is good!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »

Why ask Milos? Apparently he had Dennis James on 580 g of protein leading up to the contest in his first training video.

All I could think was 600g of protein a day!!!!! Say good bye to your kidney function.

Exactly why it would be interesting to see what Milos think today. And if he still feels 500+ grams are cool... 8)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 05:57:11 AM »
i saw a piece on fox news today... ppl that eat 1000 calories per day could in theory, by blood comp algorithms, live 50% longer than those of us who eat much more.

I dunno if weighing 120 pounds can really be considered 'living', though.

you need to get out more

RHINO290

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »
when you read about the amounts of food that some of these guys eat you have to wonder this, i mean most of the time all these guys are doing is lifting weights for an hour is 500 grams of protein really necessary, i think this is the main reason for the bloated stomachs on most of these guys nowadays.

You know, this is a good point, because I find, eating less, I llok better. I am not sure either, whether it is neccessary or not. I also think alot of guys are full of shit about what they eat. I think they exaggerate......

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:49 AM »
Well after you get sick of eating the normal stuff to get your "suggested" protein intake when following the 1.5-2 grams per bodywieght, you need to "supplement" the remainder of what ever number of grams of protein left with a protein shake. Protein shakes are made by companies that advertise in BB magazines, thus BB magazinse write articles on nutrition tell the reader that in order to look like this you need to eat this many grams of protein. Then they go on further to show an example with the shakes included ..

ie Muscletech.com

Jay's Sample Contest Diet

“This is the contest diet I followed as I prepared for the 2004 Arnold Classic. Please note that I eat every 2˝ hours unless otherwise noted.”

Wake Up

Cardio: One hour (stairmill)

Meal 1: 10 egg whites with 2 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, and 1 serving of NITRO-TECH® protein powder

Meal 2: 8 oz. fish (sole), broccoli, asparagus, and ˝ cup cooked brown rice

Train: Weight training

Supplementation: Two servings of NITRO-TECH protein powder

Meal 3: (One hour later) 10 oz. turkey breast, 1 cup cooked oats

Meal 4: 10 oz. fish (sole), broccoli, asparagus, and 1 serving of NITRO-TECH protein powder

Meal 5: 12 oz. fish (sole) and 1 cup cooked brown rice

Cardio: One hour

Meal 6: 12 oz. fish (sole) and a large salad with balsamic vinegar

Its all about making a NEED in the MARKET for the CONSUMER to PURCHASE more SUPPLEMENTS.

Then there are guys like Sergio Olvia who ate like crap and enjoyed Pizza and Coke and became monsters.
Danny Padilla only comsumed like 90 grams a day.

Hmmmmm Why is it when I get ISOPURE which has 40grams of protein , it meets 80% of what I need in a balanced diet ??
L

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 07:12:53 AM »
Well after you get sick of eating the normal stuff to get your "suggested" protein intake when following the 1.5-2 grams per bodywieght, you need to "supplement" the remainder of what ever number of grams of protein left with a protein shake. Protein shakes are made by companies that advertise in BB magazines, thus BB magazinse write articles on nutrition tell the reader that in order to look like this you need to eat this many grams of protein. Then they go on further to show an example with the shakes included ..

ie Muscletech.com

Jay's Sample Contest Diet

“This is the contest diet I followed as I prepared for the 2004 Arnold Classic. Please note that I eat every 2˝ hours unless otherwise noted.”

Wake Up

Cardio: One hour (stairmill)

Meal 1: 10 egg whites with 2 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, and 1 serving of NITRO-TECH® protein powder

Meal 2: 8 oz. fish (sole), broccoli, asparagus, and ˝ cup cooked brown rice

Train: Weight training

Supplementation: Two servings of NITRO-TECH protein powder

Meal 3: (One hour later) 10 oz. turkey breast, 1 cup cooked oats

Meal 4: 10 oz. fish (sole), broccoli, asparagus, and 1 serving of NITRO-TECH protein powder

Meal 5: 12 oz. fish (sole) and 1 cup cooked brown rice

Cardio: One hour

Meal 6: 12 oz. fish (sole) and a large salad with balsamic vinegar

Its all about making a NEED in the MARKET for the CONSUMER to PURCHASE more SUPPLEMENTS.

Then there are guys like Sergio Olvia who ate like crap and enjoyed Pizza and Coke and became monsters.
Danny Padilla only comsumed like 90 grams a day.

Hmmmmm Why is it when I get ISOPURE which has 40grams of protein , it meets 80% of what I need in a balanced diet ??
exactamundo.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

RHINO290

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 07:17:54 AM »
Ditto.....
yeah the diet they've got listed for you on the nutrition board sounds right for a guy your size, 11 or 12 eggwhites, 2 and a half or three pounds of meat and a couple of shakes per day and even that sounds like a lot but you've got like 245-250 pounds of lean mass to feed.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 07:19:47 AM »
Shari eats some meals at mc donalds.

RHINO290

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 07:20:41 AM »
yeah the diet they've got listed for you on the nutrition board sounds right for a guy your size, 11 or 12 eggwhites, 2 and a half or three pounds of meat and a couple of shakes per day and even that sounds like a lot but you've got like 245-250 pounds of lean mass to feed.

right, and some days, I can't even eat that....It's real work. I'm telling you.

On mayhem, they are talking about Gary Strydom saying he used to eat 1000 calories per meal, 7 times a day. Well that is bullshit, because I used to eat with him, all the time when I lived in venice. He lived across the street from the firehouse, and I personally have seen him eat, many, many meals that were less that that.

considerably less.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »

On mayhem, they are talking about Gary Strydom saying he used to eat 1000 calories per meal, 7 times a day. Well that is bullshit, because I used to eat with him, all the time when I lived in venice. He lived across the street from the firehouse, and I personally have seen him eat, many, many meals that were less that that.

considerably less.

Gary also said that he liked the wind blowing in his hair after a long day of doing Back exercises ... and we know how much truth there is to that !!
L

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 07:24:57 AM »

considerably less.
yeah, i don't believe Strydom ate anywhere near that much, have you ever seen the amounts that Massive G says he eats, i don't know if you and him are friends but that dude is the biggest liar i've ever seen on any board.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 07:30:08 AM »
i actually got the BI tag over there because i posted what i ate for breakfast which was 10 eggwhites, 2 yolks a cup and a half of oatmeal and fruit and one of Massive g's butt buddies Razorsharp came on and said that was a small meal so i disagreed with him and i got the tag.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

RHINO290

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2006, 07:32:55 AM »
yeah, i don't believe Strydom ate anywhere near that much, have you ever seen the amounts that Massive G says he eats, i don't know if you and him are friends but that dude is the biggest liar i've ever seen on any board.

Massive has always been good to me. Very respectful and well, you know.

As far as your beef with him, I don't know about any of that, so i will stay out of it.

You have been cool with me also, which I apreciate.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 07:35:01 AM »
Massive has always been good to me. Very respectful and well, you know.

As far as your beef with him, I don't know about any of that, so i will stay out of it.

You have been cool with me also, which I apreciate.
the thing i don't understand about that guy is that if you disagree with anything him or Roxi, Mike, Ski or any of his buddies say they give you the tag, it's stupid.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2006, 07:36:50 AM »
I have a feeling they live together.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 07:47:05 AM »
That's not classy at all, shame on you.
Exactly Mars, some of these kids here simply don't get it......showing blatant disrespect to a Squad founder like Sarcasm shows a complete lack of class!!

RHINO290

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 07:49:34 AM »
the thing i don't understand about that guy is that if you disagree with anything him or Roxi, Mike, Ski or any of his buddies say they give you the tag, it's stupid.

Yeah, I hear you bro.... do your thing here. like I said, they are all big Rhino supporters, but you should do your thing as well, just do it here.

don't sweat it, listen, I did not undrstand you and the squad at first, but after a while, I got it, I was willing to take what I had to, most are not....

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
Actually the "IAF" aka visceral fat is the first to be metabolized on a diet. It's the first fat to go.

I was thinking that too. It doesn't make any sense that you could get your subcutaneous fat down to nothing yet still have a ton of visceral fat... the body doesn't work that way.

Somebody should do a CT scan or MRI on a couple of these "bellybuilders" and find out once and for all what these monster GH guts are made of. My guess would be enlarged organs.
Ron: "I am lazy."

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2006, 08:11:57 AM »
It's not necessarily the food you take in.  Common seance tells you that eating 300+ grams of protein in food will make you fat.  The key is utilizing the protein.  If inadequate protein is taken in, it's like building a house without the materials.  The anabolics are the carpenters, but without the wood (protein) they would actually be breaking down muscle.  That's the beauty of a good protein supplement.  Kidney damage has never been attributed to an athlete using 1-2 grams per lb. to build.  When anabolics come into play, the bodybuilder thinks He muse eat like a horse to add lean mass, when a couple of protein drinks, without all the saturated fat, cholesterol and the other things that make eating flesh protein too often the problem.  The smart bodybuilder knows his body better than anybody.  Having regular liver function tests and kidney profiles are the safest way to put on muscle and stay healthy.  The problem is that not enough bodybuilders see Dr's. usually till it's too late.  Regardless, protein is a must in building muscle, you must be smart in the choices of protein you take in.  Eating 5 lbs of red meat daily  will give you plenty of protein, but also give you more bad fats and all the other things associated with eating too much meat.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2006, 08:39:50 AM »

i actually got the BI tag over there because i posted what i ate for breakfast which was 10 eggwhites, 2 yolks a cup and a half of oatmeal and fruit and one of Massive g's butt buddies Razorsharp came on and said that was a small meal so i disagreed with him and i got the tag.

Hymen's a collection of pussies....I eat less than that and continue to grow year after year....you don't have to eat a ton you just need to eat smart.   BB is an activity of with physical illusion, but it definitely contains a ton of mental delusion as well.

Chico_Holiday

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2006, 08:42:35 AM »
The body can only digest about 30g of protein in one sitting/meal.  Take for example a bodybuilder who eats 6 meals a day and takes in 300g of protein or 50g per meal.  Their body is only really digesting and utilizing 180g of protein, 120g is wasted.  Also, too many people get caught up in the 2g per pound idea.

The RDA is .8g per pound of lean body mass, but the RDA doubled the actual recommendation of .4 (to cover any deviation, and be on the safe side).  So, even at the published RDA you are still above the maintenance level and can build muscle.

RHINO290

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »
It's not necessarily the food you take in.  Common seance tells you that eating 300+ grams of protein in food will make you fat.  The key is utilizing the protein.  If inadequate protein is taken in, it's like building a house without the materials.  The anabolics are the carpenters, but without the wood (protein) they would actually be breaking down muscle.  That's the beauty of a good protein supplement.  Kidney damage has never been attributed to an athlete using 1-2 grams per lb. to build.  When anabolics come into play, the bodybuilder thinks He muse eat like a horse to add lean mass, when a couple of protein drinks, without all the saturated fat, cholesterol and the other things that make eating flesh protein too often the problem.  The smart bodybuilder knows his body better than anybody.  Having regular liver function tests and kidney profiles are the safest way to put on muscle and stay healthy.  The problem is that not enough bodybuilders see Dr's. usually till it's too late.  Regardless, protein is a must in building muscle, you must be smart in the choices of protein you take in.  Eating 5 lbs of red meat daily  will give you plenty of protein, but also give you more bad fats and all the other things associated with eating too much meat.

Problem is, even I have pro/top amatuers telling me they are eating 650-700 grams of protein per day, and getting lean(also eating 700 grams of carbs) I guess I just have a hard time beleiveing this.... If I eat that much, I get friggin fat.

irejistirred4deena

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2006, 09:17:37 AM »
The body can only digest about 30g of protein in one sitting/meal.  Take for example a bodybuilder who eats 6 meals a day and takes in 300g of protein or 50g per meal.  Their body is only really digesting and utilizing 180g of protein, 120g is wasted.  Also, too many people get caught up in the 2g per pound idea.

The RDA is .8g per pound of lean body mass, but the RDA doubled the actual recommendation of .4 (to cover any deviation, and be on the safe side).  So, even at the published RDA you are still above the maintenance level and can build muscle.

Show me scientific proof of this please.  And Arnold's Encyclopedia (as great as it is for beginners) doesn't count.

Chico_Holiday

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2006, 10:24:51 AM »
Show me scientific proof of this please.  And Arnold's Encyclopedia (as great as it is for beginners) doesn't count.

Never read Arnold's Encyclopedia, never plan to.  As far as proof; ask any doctor, ask a registered dietician, take a nutrition class at your local college, or just pick up a nutrition textbook and read.  Its not some big secret, its common knowledge.