Author Topic: Google Employees Call Term ‘Family’ ‘Deeply Homophobic'  (Read 655 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :-\

Google Employees Call Term ‘Family’ ‘Deeply Homophobic'
By Alexander Hall | January 30, 2019

A Google executive sparked backlash from LGBT- supporting  employees after using the term “family” in an internal presentation.

The Daily Caller exposed a 2017 incident where Google was in uproar over a “family”-oriented product aimed at children. LGBT-sympathetic employees disparaged the term as “offensive, inappropriate, homophobic, and wrong” because it denies that non-traditional arrangements, such as childless couples, are families.

One angry employee’s memo, which was well-received by Google’s community, read “‘family’ as a synonym for ‘with children’ has a long-standing association with deeply homophobic organizations.”

About 100 other Google employees have upvoted this post, some of whom wrote sentiments like “Thanks for writing this. So much yes.”

“It smacks of the ‘family values’ agenda by the right wing, which is absolutely homophobic by its very definition… As a straight person in a relationship, I find the term ‘family’ offensive because it excludes me and my boyfriend, having no children of our own.”

Another employee added, “My family consists of me and several other trans feminine folks, some of whom I’m dating… Just because we aren’t a heterosexual couple with 2.5 kids, a white picket fence, and a dog doesn’t mean we’re not a family.”

The post also proposed that the term family can only be palatable if it is wholly redefined,

“This does not mean we should not use the word ‘family’ to refer to families, but it mean[s ] we must doggedly insist that family does not imply children.”

Google Engineering Vice President Pavni Diwanji has since acknowledged that use of the term “family” has been problematic enough to raise “concerns”

“Hi everyone, I realize what we said at tgif might have caused concerns in the way we talked about families. There are families without kids too, and also we needed to be more conscientious about the fact that there is a diverse makeup of parents and families,”

While the incident originally occurred in March 2017, it did not become an issue until The Daily Caller broke the story in mid-January.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/techwatch/alexander-hall/2019/01/30/google-employees-call-term-family-deeply-homophobic

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Google Employees Call Term ‘Family’ ‘Deeply Homophobic'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Not even going to bother reading that.  Headline says enough.

I wonder how disgusted they are when they have a nervous break down or get into a health situation where they have to utilize the FAMILY Medical Leave Act to keep their job?

"I'm sorry H.R., I can't sign that homophobic document to take time off to get better, and protect my career.  I guess I'll just deal with it or quit, and you can hire me back when I'm ready to come back to Google"   ::)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
We knew back in the 90's where this shit was heading.  Slippery slope.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
One day soon these companies are going to become so poisoned by victim mentality that they will no longer operate.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:25:30 PM »
One day soon these companies are going to become so poisoned by victim mentality that they will no longer operate.

I pray to God the first companies to go are FB, Twitter, IG, and Google!

I bet when the dust settles on all that's going on right now, that 10 years or so down the road these years since social media rose to the level it is now is going to likely be one of the most researched topics in all fields of health and wellness along with prescription usage.

I hope GB is still around then.  It would be fascinating to be here, and search through some of these posts no matter which direction 2020 takes us.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
Sooner or later the Asians in these companies are going to start speaking up. They’re not this liberal and value family. I guess a lot of these people still remember coming from countries where speaking out against the government or a big organization can get you disappeared.