Author Topic: Chest Training  (Read 45311 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Chest Training
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:59 AM »
Man did chest earlier this week and decided to do some different stuff at least a different order of excersises.  Did mainly machines and more presses than usual.

Smith incline press: 5x9-12 reps  Got up to 270lbs on the bar for 11 for my best set.

Forgot who makes this vertical chest press but I like it, its plate loaded and the handles adjust in and out for a good ROM 4x10-12, will get the name when I go back today.

Hammer wide chest: 4x10-12  This is a good machine, its almost a flying movement and you can really sqeuezze hard at the top on it, plus it gives a good stretch!  It has a real long ROM

Last was Free Motion flys:  I use the free motion chest machine and put one of those stability ball thingys on the seat behind my back for a full ROM, without it the ROM is too short and you cant get a good stretch.  These are a great move and they feel great, kind of an incline fly  8)

Dat was it, got pretty sore and I kept my body guessing, plus it helps keep things fresh and fun.

Off to eat some oats, PB and shake and some other goodies  ;)  Thinking Im gonna start a comp diet thread since im in the middle of it.

I don't think I have any of those machines at my gym!  We have a hammer strength chest press, but it's not real wide that I can tell...they must have two different ones.  And we don't have any Free Motion machines at this gym.

I still haven't gotten a chest workout in this week...but my shoulders are nice and sore from Tuesday.  I'm doing some research on structuring workouts for benching, so I am gonna try to get some baseline numbers on my next workout, but I want to make sure my shoulders and arms are not sore at all.

Oats, PB, and a shake sound good right about now lol.  Do you mix it all together?   :P
I'd love to read your contest diet thread...eel free to include lots of eye candy for the ladies.   :-*

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »

I don't think I have any of those machines at my gym!  We have a hammer strength chest press, but it's not real wide that I can tell...they must have two different ones.  And we don't have any Free Motion machines at this gym.

I still haven't gotten a chest workout in this week...but my shoulders are nice and sore from Tuesday.  I'm doing some research on structuring workouts for benching, so I am gonna try to get some baseline numbers on my next workout, but I want to make sure my shoulders and arms are not sore at all.

Oats, PB, and a shake sound good right about now lol.  Do you mix it all together?   :P
I'd love to read your contest diet thread...eel free to include lots of eye candy for the ladies.   :-*

Yes it is a different one, I have seen 5 different hammer chest press machines, incline, decline, regular chest press, supine chest press (which I love and we don't have  >:() and the wide chest (thats what they call it)  There may be more LOL.

You know I usually eat those things separately cause I like to chew food when I can, but have mixed it all up before and it is very good  :)

Well more pics will be coming soon as I'm starting to shape up already baby and I have just begun!!!  :-*

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
I have started a thread about my bench press training on the Powerlifting Board.  Once I get the bugs out of it and get into a routine that works for me, I will post some updates in this thread.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=166468.0

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »

-I will either do decline bench press OR close grip bench press, depending on what mood I am in.  Three sets of whichever I choose.

Why declines? As a guy, I wouldn't want my lower pecs overdeveloped. I would think this would be the case to an even greater extent for a woman vis a vis "Droopage."

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »

Why declines? As a guy, I wouldn't want my lower pecs overdeveloped. I would think this would be the case to an even greater extent for a woman vis a vis "Droopage."

HMmmm I never thought about droopage lol.  But wouldn't training your lower pecs help in that department?  maybe perk things up a little?   :D

I don't know, I usually strive to hit all aspects of the muscle group when I train, so I do declines for the lowers and inclines for the uppers.  I really only decline about once every other workout, it's not one of my primary chest exercises.  And if I train for the bench press competition, I don't think that I will be declining much at all.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »

But wouldn't training your lower pecs help in that department?  maybe perk things up a little?   :D

In theory that sounds right, but gravity is a helleva force. Lower pec mass tends to get pulled towards the center of the earth, hence droopage.

I usually do presses at at a moderate angle, 30 degrees or so. That hits the upper and middle pecs, and for the lower pecs, I stick to isometrics.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 03:55:45 AM »
In theory that sounds right, but gravity is a helleva force. Lower pec mass tends to get pulled towards the center of the earth, hence droopage.

I usually do presses at at a moderate angle, 30 degrees or so. That hits the upper and middle pecs, and for the lower pecs, I stick to isometrics.

What do you mean by isometrics for the lower pecs?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 04:58:55 AM »

What do you mean by isometrics for the lower pecs?

Pretty much flexing and holding the contraction for a few seconds, and doing a few sets of those. Keeps the area conditioned but not overdeveloped.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
Pretty much flexing and holding the contraction for a few seconds, and doing a few sets of those. Keeps the area conditioned but not overdeveloped.

I do alot of this kind of stuff when I am contest prepping.
How do you do that specifically for the lower pecs?    Just do it with your arms pointed downwards, or do it on a decline bench?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »

I do alot of this kind of stuff when I am contest prepping.
How do you do that specifically for the lower pecs?    Just do it with your arms pointed downwards, or do it on a decline bench?

Sorry for the slow getback.

Notice the direction of the lower pec muscle fibers. They run diagonally downward from the upper arm to the ribcage. So, to specifically contract those fibers, you'd want to bring your elbows down and in and then hold the contraction.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 03:57:40 AM »
Sorry for the slow getback.

Notice the direction of the lower pec muscle fibers. They run diagonally downward from the upper arm to the ribcage. So, to specifically contracts those fibers, you'd want to bring your elbows down and in and then hold the contraction.

Sweet.  I need to get me one of these anatomy books.    8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:15 AM »

Sweet.  I need to get me one of these anatomy books.    8)

I have seen them at Barnes and Noble, I think I will pick one up this week.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38:24 AM »
I have been on the road for three days, finally going home tonight.  I skipped my chest workout Monday morning because I was running late to hit the road, so I haven't trained at all in four days and am starting to feel shitty.
I am going to get back into the gym tomorrow and start with a mean chest workout.  My numbers are still lower than I want them to be, and I have not completely adopted the powerlifting program yet, but I will be into that within a few weeks.
I DID order my bench press shirt, it should arrive in the next week or so, and I am PSYCHED to try it out.   8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 04:14:11 AM »
I finally gave the PL workout a try....went for Workout #1 on a heavy week yesterday.  Maybe because it was something different, but I really enjoyed the workout.  from this point forward (until Feb), my shoulder work will be incorporated into my first chest workout of the week.  I am going to try to do chest again Sunday.

-4 sets x 5 at 145. 
-3 sets x 3 negatives at 185.  First time I have ever done these.  These were HARD and worked the shit out of my front shoulders, more than I expected.
-3 sets dumbell inclines.  first set 50 x 6 no spot, second set 55 x 3 no spot (much heavier than I expected), and then 55 x 5 with a spot and a little help on the last couple. 

Then I did some not-too-heavy shoulder work. 
3 sets front raises x 8, 15 pounds
3 sets side raises bent arm x 8, 20 pounds
3 sets reverse pec deck x 10, 65 pounds

I actually don't think I need the incline DBs, at least not on the day that I do the negatives.  I can't believe how much the negs burned the fronts of my shoulders.  I will be replacing those on this workout day with incline DB flies.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 04:05:49 PM »
I finally gave the PL workout a try....went for Workout #1 on a heavy week yesterday.  Maybe because it was something different, but I really enjoyed the workout.  from this point forward (until Feb), my shoulder work will be incorporated into my first chest workout of the week.  I am going to try to do chest again Sunday.

-4 sets x 5 at 145. 
-3 sets x 3 negatives at 185.  First time I have ever done these.  These were HARD and worked the shit out of my front shoulders, more than I expected.
-3 sets dumbell inclines.  first set 50 x 6 no spot, second set 55 x 3 no spot (much heavier than I expected), and then 55 x 5 with a spot and a little help on the last couple. 

Then I did some not-too-heavy shoulder work. 
3 sets front raises x 8, 15 pounds
3 sets side raises bent arm x 8, 20 pounds
3 sets reverse pec deck x 10, 65 pounds

I actually don't think I need the incline DBs, at least not on the day that I do the negatives.  I can't believe how much the negs burned the fronts of my shoulders.  I will be replacing those on this workout day with incline DB flies.

Well damn Rip is getting pretty darn strong these days  ;D

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
rip, whats your max squat?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
whatever it is i'd like to see it.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »

I'm not a really big squatter because my legs grow just fine with lighter weights, and I am scared of injury.   I've never actually tried to see what my 1 rep max is on squats.

I usually squat between 155 and 175 for my working sets (8-ish reps), maybe 185 if I am feeling saucy.  I've done sets of 3-4 with 225 before, but not in a long time.  I don't go ass to grass unless I am using a Smith Machine.  I slipped a disk in my back a few years ago (deadlifting) and have been kind of a chicken ever since.

My strongest exercise is definitely my bench press.   8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2007, 04:43:17 AM »
whatever it is i'd like to see it.

no kidding, that would be teh awesome...

it would take youtube by storm

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »

no kidding, that would be teh awesome...

it would take youtube by storm

I have promised a youtube video IF I master the glute/ham drops. 

I also will promise a video of my bench press when I set the new record.   8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2007, 04:28:14 PM »
rip, post a video of you squatting too. deep and in some cute pink tights   ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 05:36:58 PM »
lol I'll see what I can do.   :)

Btw my bench shirt arrived in the mail this weekend...I'm psyched!  gonna try to put it on tomorrow.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2007, 06:49:04 PM »
lol I'll see what I can do.   :)

Btw my bench shirt arrived in the mail this weekend...I'm psyched!  gonna try to put it on tomorrow.

sorry rip, but im afraid im gonna have to be an ass......WTF do you need a bench shirt for? are you gonna compete in a bench competition (not read whole thread...)? if not.....its just ridicoulos...

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2007, 06:56:49 PM »
sorry rip, but im afraid im gonna have to be an ass......WTF do you need a bench shirt for? are you gonna compete in a bench competition (not read whole thread...)? if not.....its just ridicoulos...

I have gotten into bench press competitions during my off-season.  It's fun, and I think I am not-so-bad at it. 
This is going to be my first year ever using a shirt.  I have never even put one on lol, so I am going to try it out tomorrow.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »

I have gotten into bench press competitions during my off-season.  It's fun, and I think I am not-so-bad at it. 
This is going to be my first year ever using a shirt.  I have never even put one on lol, so I am going to try it out tomorrow.

ok i understand now  ;).

but i still think bench shirts are ridicolous lol....they have in many ways ruined powerlifting.