Author Topic: Power Lifting  (Read 23048 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Power Lifting
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »
awesome lift Jennifer, get a pic of it next time, i'd love to see it.

It's hard to get a pic of something that lives in another persons imagination. You really believe this petite little girls claims?
E

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »
It's hard to get a pic of something that lives in another persons imagination. You really believe this petite little girls claims?
they do seem a bit out there, no? who knows, a video clip would go a long way towards disputing people's doubts though.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »
they do seem a bit out there, no? who knows, a video clip would go a long way towards disputing people's doubts though.

No way that little girl squats 315 and pulls 275. For one, she is natural, which is a good thing obviously. No woman should take that shit and another she is just too petite to be throwing that kind of weight around.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
Fwiw, I don't mean to call Beast a liar and I have never doubted any lifts on here cuz I don't care tbh. This just seems so far fetched. If it's true, I apologize, just seems unlikely.
E

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
great lift Jen....i have no doubt you will be sucessful in this endeavor.....just keep it up young lady. 

hope you are having a great 2009 thus far

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
Great job Beast.

Hope you go with USAPL, cause you got some wicked squatting. Could get you all the way to a world championship in the end.

JMO though.

Fwiw, I don't mean to call Beast a liar and I have never doubted any lifts on here cuz I don't care tbh. This just seems so far fetched. If it's true, I apologize, just seems unlikely.

I can't obviously have an opinion about Beast, as I haven't seen her lift.

But I do know that the kind of lifts she speaks of are possible for a natural woman of her size.

Very tough to do, but doable.

Also, considering she did the lift during a session with Ernie Frantz, who is notorious for running high-squat meets and feds, that 336 of hers seems even more doable.

IMO, cutting the squat APF style high would add at least 40 lbs to anyone's squat.

No offence to BEAST of course. :-*
As empty as paradise

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »
well i wouldn't count that 336 today after talking with the Missouri USAPL rep.  For one briefs aren't allowed...you are allowed a single ply squat suit but it must be made of polyester, not canvas, and from our talk I don't think it offers much support.  Also you can't use a monolift...at this time I wouldn't feel comfortable walking out that much weight.   Rip you were right in all you said.

Atleast now I know the rules and can abide by them in training.

Also I am not that little, I am over 140 right now...

Jennifer

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
Frantz's gym is a hardcore place.  I think he started the APF?

Would be nice to have a monolift to squat, but your right Beast if you be needing to walk the squat out then by all means you should train that way.  It is hard to do the walk outs, I hurt myself most then and I squat puny weights.  Have learned to not have to look down at my feet before squatting cause that sometimes hurt my back.

Beast has a thick, athletic build in the offseason, looks like she can be pretty strong, she can leg press more than Blockhead............LOL J/K Block if he still reads this  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »
Jenny, Bookmark this site:

www.powerliftingwatch.co m

Good info there, and one of the links provides a table that compares the rules across all federations, which is VERY helpful.  You can see how fragmented the sport is, but there are clearly 3-4 feds that are the leading ones, the USAPL and USPF being two of them.
There is also a calendar of events, which isn't complete, but it gives you an idea of what's in your area and also contact info for Chairpeople, etc.

They have a ranking system for US powerlifters, based on all lifts that were recorded in the last 12 months.  My bench press at USPF Nationals last June got me ranked third.  8)  I think you have to pay a membership fee to see the rankings...it's cheap, I may join the site this year, there is alot of good info on it.

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 04:06:31 AM »

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 04:22:04 AM »
Some good basic tips in this thread.  :)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=256752.0

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
Beast squats more than half of the guys here.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
I also posted these in my training thread but I doubt too many venture over there.  From my bench workout today...190 with a shirt, the shirt was pretty loose but a decent atttempt for my first time trying that kind of weight :)

Jennifer

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
I also posted these in my training thread but I doubt too many venture over there.  From my bench workout today...190 with a shirt, the shirt was pretty loose but a decent atttempt for my first time trying that kind of weight :)

That doesnt look like 190. You have a 45 on each side and the bar. Also try and keep your back straight and dont lift off the bench, also the guy spotting u, is doing all the lifting. Try lighter weight, then move up. Remember, use your chest,not ur body.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:13 PM »
umm thanks for the comments but no he isn't doing the weight, watch his HANDS.  He is a powerlifter and isn't going to screw my workouts or numbers.  On the bar is a 45, a 25 and a 2.5.

+2.5
-----
190    ;)

Jennifer

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »
umm thanks for the comments but no he isn't doing the weight, watch his HANDS.  He is a powerlifter and isn't going to screw my workouts or numbers.  On the bar is a 45, a 25 and a 2.5.

+2.5
-----
190    ;)

what bar is that,,it's not the one in the video. In the video u got one 45 on each side, and yes, he is pulling it up. Props for trying it, but it is to heavy for you. Don't move your body, use your chest.  ;)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:24 PM »
Nope its the one in the video...I just watched it on youtube and see what you are saying...it is shadowed, it isn't in my camera view...I don't know how else to upload a video to getbig other then with youtube.  Also what do I have to gain by lying about the weight I mean give me a break I already get enough crap on getbig so I don't need to lie about anything.   ;)

Keep in mind it is my first time with a shirt on, without weight on the bar it isn't going to even touch my chest.  I didn't say the lift was pretty I know I have LOTS to work on...it is my second bench workout with Lance.  One thing I need to do is pause when I hit my chest...and yes I move my body too much which is an issue.  I don't know why Lance would tell me I hit the weight if I didn't so I trust what he tells me.
Jennifer

MuscleKing

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »
Nope its the one in the video...I just watched it on youtube and see what you are saying...it is shadowed, it isn't in my camera view...I don't know how else to upload a video to getbig other then with youtube.

Also it is my first time with a shirt on, without weight on the bar it isn't going to even touch my chest.  What I need to do is pause when I hit my chest...and yes I move my body too much which is an issue.  I don't know why Lance would tell me I hit the weight if I didn't so I trust what he tells me.

Thanks for clearing it up. Yeah the shadows really block it out, but I tottaly believe you. That's very impressive. Good for you. WHen is your first powerlifting competition? Again great job, u really are a "BEAST".  :o

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
awesome work beast keep it up

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
good job young lady...keep up the good work.....

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
I haven't posted on any boards in forever, but I saw this thread and just wanted to tell you to have fun and enjoy the powerlifting.  It is such a nice change from the subjective nature of bodybuilding.  It provides you with concrete goals and concrete results that cannot be argued with.  Your placing is based upon your successful lifts and whether you followed the rules through the lifts.

I decided to compete in an APF powerlifting meet last November prior to my 36th birthday, and I had an absolute blast!  My training combined the powerlifting techniques I used over 10 years ago and the bodybuilding techniques I currently need for my Masters Nationals prep this year, so while my lifts weren't as high as I could have done if I stuck with pure powerlifting and dropped my running regimen, I still met my goals and had so much fun with it.  My boyfriend did an incredible job with wrapping my knees so tightly that I thought my legs would fall off, and he really helped to keep me motivated and fired up for the competition.

I also found that the heavy chest press, heavy squats, and heavy deadlifts did a great job at adding more size to my front delts as well as my back.  The lifting also created more of the shape I wanted for my legs and glutes.  I must say that Lori's success in 2008 with both powerlifting and bodybuilding helped me to make the decision to venture back into powerlifting, and I'm so pleased with my decision to have done the APF Federation meet.

For any naysayers who don't believe "The Beast's" lifts, don't doubt.  Size does not automatically transfer into strength, and strength does not necessarily require size.  Take a look at this link http://apftexas.com/records/APF-AAPF%20TEXAS%20SUBMASTER%20RECORDS.htm, click on the APF Women tab, and you'll see that I broke all of the Texas state records in the Women's Submaster, 114-lb class division with the following lifts, and let me mention, I weighed 112 pounds for this meet, and I am natural.  Looks can be deceiving.  A female bodybuilder can be beautiful and a small woman can be strong.  Stop doubting the women who post on here with pride in their lifts and start respecting.

Squat:  214 lbs.
Bench:  126.5 lbs.
Deadlift:  269.5 lbs.

All the best to you, Jenn!  Keep working hard, and you will do well.
Jodi

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
I haven't posted on any boards in forever, but I saw this thread and just wanted to tell you to have fun and enjoy the powerlifting.  It is such a nice change from the subjective nature of bodybuilding.  It provides you with concrete goals and concrete results that cannot be argued with.  Your placing is based upon your successful lifts and whether you followed the rules through the lifts.

I decided to compete in an APF powerlifting meet last November prior to my 36th birthday, and I had an absolute blast!  My training combined the powerlifting techniques I used over 10 years ago and the bodybuilding techniques I currently need for my Masters Nationals prep this year, so while my lifts weren't as high as I could have done if I stuck with pure powerlifting and dropped my running regimen, I still met my goals and had so much fun with it.  My boyfriend did an incredible job with wrapping my knees so tightly that I thought my legs would fall off, and he really helped to keep me motivated and fired up for the competition.

I also found that the heavy chest press, heavy squats, and heavy deadlifts did a great job at adding more size to my front delts as well as my back.  The lifting also created more of the shape I wanted for my legs and glutes.  I must say that Lori's success in 2008 with both powerlifting and bodybuilding helped me to make the decision to venture back into powerlifting, and I'm so pleased with my decision to have done the APF Federation meet.

For any naysayers who don't believe "The Beast's" lifts, don't doubt.  Size does not automatically transfer into strength, and strength does not necessarily require size.  Take a look at this link http://apftexas.com/records/APF-AAPF%20TEXAS%20SUBMASTER%20RECORDS.htm, click on the APF Women tab, and you'll see that I broke all of the Texas state records in the Women's Submaster, 114-lb class division with the following lifts, and let me mention, I weighed 112 pounds for this meet, and I am natural.  Looks can be deceiving.  A female bodybuilder can be beautiful and a small woman can be strong.  Stop doubting the women who post on here with pride in their lifts and start respecting.

didn't know jeff knew how to wrap knees. 8) j/k mate. Good post btw, agree. I assume we can expect you back on the platform soon champ?
As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »

wow that's awesome, Jodi, thanks for that.  :)

I was wondering when we would see you next on stage!  And I hope you definitely come back to powerlifting again next off-season.   8)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
Jodi!  Thanks so much...I am having soooo much fun powerlifting it will be HARD for me to transition back to bodybuilding for Team Universe this year. 

That being said congratulations on the powerlifting and good luck in your prep for Master's Nats.  I have been wondering when you were competing, it was quite a mystery so thank you for clearing that up!!  You will be fantastic at masters and I wouldn't be surprised if you stole the show.

Keep in touch, I know you are a busy girl but it is nice to hear from you!
Jennifer

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »