Author Topic: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community  (Read 24408 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
And all this time later - FATZZZO has not posted a single workout done.

Hasn't it been a longtime since Shizzo posted a photo? It would be hilarious is he posted up a recent one and he was in excellent physical condition because he's been working out like crazy and only pretended to not be by not talking/posting about it. Have you ever wondered if some folks post up their routines when in fact they really don't work out at all? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »
Just reading about your routine this morning has exhausted me.;D  I cannot remember the last time I had a routine that took two hours to complete. How do you feel about jumping rope?  Is it beneficial or is all the jumping up and down hard on our bodies?

Jump Rope is FNG awesome and one of the best exercises on the planet.   I have a bunch, but believe it or not, my fav is still the ones from school days with the beads.   

The newer ones are too fancy for my taste.  The ones with the segregated beads can be had on amazon for cheap and work the best IMHO. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »
Do you think that after a certain time period you start to get into a rhythm like when swimming laps. If I haven't done it in awhile, it takes a few laps before I get my breathing in sync.

It takes a while for your capillaries to open up, and for blood to get to the working muscles. So, in the beginning of a run you’re generating more energy anaerobically, and, as a result, producing more lactic acid, than you do later in the run when you are fully warmed up and producing energy aerobically.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2021, 11:52:00 AM »
Do you think that after a certain time period you start to get into a rhythm like when swimming laps. If I haven't done it in awhile, it takes a few laps before I get my breathing in sync.

Yes, exactly...but I think it's mostly driven by breathing.
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »
Jump Rope is FNG awesome and one of the best exercises on the planet.   I have a bunch, but believe it or not, my fav is still the ones from school days with the beads.   

The newer ones are too fancy for my taste.  The ones with the segregated beads can be had on amazon for cheap and work the best IMHO.

Although I have not jumped rope since I was a kid, I'll check these out on Amazon. If I order a couple of them and start jumping rope, will you come to my funeral?  ;D

Note: this is not me....he's much better at jumping rope than I likely am these days....plus, I don't own a 'wife beater'.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2021, 12:06:07 AM »
Which was to make Arthur Jones rich.

One of the most common criticisms of Jones was that he made money developing and selling his Nautilus. Why is that? As if people spending money, even a lot of money, on a good or service is somehow a bad thing. That you are greedy for wanting to profit, even profit greatly, from something you produce and developed.

Profit, making a lot of money on a good and/or service is the one of the best indication of it's value to society and increasing the quality of life for it's people. Making a profit is proof positive that you are providing something people want and are willing to pay for giving them a better quality of life.

And it seems there is a fundamental misunderstanding better "Cost" the amount it takes to bring that product to market and keep the supplies available, and the "Price", what you charge the customer. That if the price of a product should absolutely determine the cost. If it's cheap to make it should be cheap to sell. That you shouldn't "over charger" for a product. It doesn't work that way not should it. If something cost 10 cents to make but sells for $100 does that mean you are greedy? If I offer you 200 grand for you car just because I want to should you stop me and say, "No that's too much. Give me 15 grand instead." That 10 cent product gets $100 because that's what people want to pay. And if you charge less, not only would that be foolish on your part, but would create a shortage
because you would be selling your product for below market price.

Jones was a genius. Many simply lack the insight as to how much he advanced resistance training and all the equipment you see today in modern gyms has its roots in Nautilus and Arthur Jones. This notion was that he didn't believe in his equipment and training principles and was simply good at marketing and promoting himself is just absurd beyond belief. You can fool some people some of the time but when it comes to spending their own money they will eventually catch on. Is Jones still fooling all these people with his equipment and equipment inspired by him long after his death? Was he really that great in promoting himself when most people don't even know who he is and have never heard of him?

I constantly ask trainers, even those in my age group, if they have ever heard of Jones. I really can't remember a single person who ever have. Those from my generation remember Nautilus coming on the scene in the 70s-80s but they never heard of Jones, a very difficult person to get along with.

So much for being a great self-promoter.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2021, 12:14:08 AM »
IMO, A lot of the running injuries occur because people don’t take the time to warm up properly. The 1st mile or two should be very slow the same way the first couple sets with weights should be very light, especially once you’re past your prime.

I use to think that but a lot of running injuries, certainly on my part, have to do with overuse, and in my opinion, unnatural stress on the body. The constant pounding on the feet, knees, lower back for years/decades on end has got to take its toll. I mean, say you are 180 pounds, you have that weight multiplied by the force of gravity falling with your full weight on one leg over and over again.

I notice those that have run for decades with very little problems are very particular with the shoes that they wear, which matters a lot on cushioning the constant pounding, and that they don't really run but jog. But to me, it doesn't even look like jogging but more like shuffling. Like they are doing a fast walk and there's very little pounding.

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2021, 03:13:22 AM »
I use to think that but a lot of running injuries, certainly on my part, have to do with overuse, and in my opinion, unnatural stress on the body. The constant pounding on the feet, knees, lower back for years/decades on end has got to take its toll. I mean, say you are 180 pounds, you have that weight multiplied by the force of gravity falling with your full weight on one leg over and over again.

I notice those that have run for decades with very little problems are very particular with the shoes that they wear, which matters a lot on cushioning the constant pounding, and that they don't really run but jog. But to me, it doesn't even look like jogging but more like shuffling. Like they are doing a fast walk and there's very little pounding.
Disagree every runner who has run for years have had knee or lower back pain. Also the serious runners not the jogger who runs 2x a week have had blood in their shit,
serious running is not healthy. Watch the marathon runners or marathon walkers who shit themselves on camera during the race. a lot of internal stress on the colon and organs.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2021, 09:05:36 AM »
Nobody today knows about Arthur Jones because his theories are bogus.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Disagree every runner who has run for years have had knee or lower back pain. Also the serious runners not the jogger who runs 2x a week have had blood in their shit,
serious running is not healthy. Watch the marathon runners or marathon walkers who shit themselves on camera during the race. a lot of internal stress on the colon and organs.

you are aware you just agreed with him with the rest of your post?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #310 on: April 13, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
you are aware you just agreed with him with the rest of your post?

I agree with most of his post as well. A high level marathoner runs 80 to 100 miles a week. Obviously that’s going to take its toll on your joints. However, if you’re running 20 to 30 miles a week in well cushioned sneakers and trying to stay on softer surfaces when possible it’s not a problem.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: April 13, 2021, 10:06:09 AM »
Running on hard surfaces like pavement takes its toll.

Running on grass or a cinder track with some give is not bad.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
I agree with most of his post as well. A high level marathoner runs 80 to 100 miles a week. Obviously that’s going to take its toll on your joints. However, if you’re running 20 to 30 miles a week in well cushioned sneakers and trying to stay on softer surfaces when possible it’s not a problem.

it was just the contradiction, he disgareed then agreed with pellius

If you are over 200lbs then you could run on pillows and it would still fuck you up long term

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
Running on hard surfaces like pavement takes its toll.

Running on grass or a cinder track with some give is not bad.

when I played rugby sprinting on hard surfaces caused me shin splints, on grass no problems

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2021, 01:24:27 PM »
when I played rugby sprinting on hard surfaces caused me shin splints, on grass no problems

Ancient man ran on hard rock surfaces, got shin splints, and thereafter planted grass to run on instead.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »
There’s a big difference between rugby type anaerobic running and aerobic distance running. You really don’t have to run fast to get aerobic benefits, it’s more about duration, and as a result the impact forces aren’t as great.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »
Sudden stops put great stress on the legs and often account for shin splints.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2021, 01:39:56 PM »
"Put simply, impact forces refers to the force that is absorbed from striking the ground. To put it in context, when you walk and strike the ground, you are creating an impact force of one to 1.5 times your body weight. Running increases this to three to four times body weight, doing anything ballistic up to ten times, and tumbling in gymnastics can create impact forces up to eighteen times your body weight, all of which are happening very quickly."

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/impact-forces-shoes-and-lower-leg-injuries-part-1

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
Do getbiggers do a lot of running for "cardio"?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
Do getbiggers do a lot of running for "cardio"?

Oldtimer runs a lot.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
Running fng sucks.   Having finger nails plucked out one at a time sounds better

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2021, 03:44:11 PM »
Running fng sucks.   Having finger nails plucked out one at a time sounds better

The movie Rocky is a pretty accurate depiction  of running. At first, it sucks because you get winded so easily but after a while you get stronger and it starts to become enjoyable. I’m to the point with running where it’s like weightlifting. I couldn’t see not doing it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:52 PM »
Nobody today knows about Arthur Jones because his theories are bogus.

And yet his machines are in every gym I've worked out at.  He sold Nautilus for $23 mm in 1986. Today the company is known as Nautilus Inc.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »

I don't know about that. I once had my big toenail removed down to the quick by my doctor. It was not a pleasant experience. Maybe one's finger nails wouldn't be as bad.  :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:39 PM »
The movie Rocky is a pretty accurate depiction  of running. At first, it sucks because you get winded so easily but after a while you get stronger and it starts to become enjoyable. I’m to the point with running where it’s like weightlifting. I couldn’t see not doing it.

I have an assault bike and treadmill.   Also do a lot of rucking.   I hate running so fng much.   For me tossing in a heavy ass pack and walking fast is way more my style.