Author Topic: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community  (Read 24573 times)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
Re: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
So select high protein, nutrient dense, voluminous, calorie sparse foods. Eat boring food. Everyone here knows that abs get made in the kitchen and you can't outrun a bad diet.

How that information hasn't filtered down to the fat chick you see out there jogging is a mystery. She's eating whole wheat pasta and organic olive oil, drinking fruit juice, etc, and can't understand that her Healthy Diet is the problem.

Imo the only thing cadio does is make you an efficient exchanger of oxygen for carbon dioxide. It just makes you good at cardio, which is good if you want good cardio. But if you're doing it for fat loss it's absolute nonsense. That 300 calorie difference is like 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Unless I'm training for cardio endurance, I'd rather just go easy on the oil and not run 5 miles.

This is sound advice. I do cardio because I like it- not because it causes weight loss- which is damn near impossible if you eat a lot, lol.

Two years ago I trained with a pro cyclist from Denmark for a few weeks. He was 6'2" and 160 pounds - such a rail. I asked how he stays that way and he said "diet". He hardly eats. Considering his typical daily ride was 3+ hours you figure he'd burn it off. He told me that he could easily gain weight  with all that riding by eating more- the body gets so good at exercise that you really don't burn all that many calories comparatively, at his level.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
pick some excercises yopu like doing and can feel the muscle working

rinse and repeat

all excercises work the muscle in virtually the same way

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
Swimming is one area where I have always excelled or at least used to before COVID shut down the pools at the gym.

Which is crazy and insane since Chlorine kills everything.    >:(

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
I am highly in favor of walking versus running for many reasons, one of them being my age. However, supposedly someone who’s 160 pounds, running at 5 miles per hour (mph) burns 606 calories. Walking briskly for the same amount of time at 3.5 mph burns just 314 calories.

Running burns between 100 and 120 calories per mile, no matter how fast you run,  assuming you don't weigh 300 pounds. That's because the faster you run, the more calories you burn, but the time to do a mile decreases. So the calorie burn for an élite marathoner or a casual jogger per mile is nearly identical.

when I was regularly bike racing in my earlier years, I found my weight didn't start dropping until I did a minimum of 10-15 hours riding a week, or about 150-200 miles. That's a lot for most anybody and still - the weight loss at best was 1 pound a week. You can easily do that by mild calorie restriction.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »
One thing for sure and I have learned this. If you keep pounding away with exercises that are bad for your joints the majority will regret it as they age. Having a bad shoulder, elbow, hip, knees or stenois of the spine isn't a good trade off for years of lifting if you're in your sixties and have a crippled body. Few escape having problems.

You can lower the odds of wear and tear by lifting with the thought of joint preservation.  Another point is body weight exercises are a  friend and not an enemy of a bodybuilder. Serge Nubret and Wilf Sylvester both used body weight squats in training. Wilf eliminated barbell squats and hacks. He won the his height class at the 1975 Universe in South Africa doing bodyweight squats, leg extensions and leg curls. I just bring this up as someone using the ownership principle doing what works for them.

For me I made so many changes to the way I work out. My key exercise for pecs is the dumbbell decline press. Zero joint issue on my shoulders with this. I think in five years I have used the barbell bench maybe five times.  I could go on with things I have dropped and what I found were a healthy alternative.

This hits the pecs like nothing else. When I started doing dips regularly I wondered why I bothered with any other chest exercise at all.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
Which is crazy and insane since Chlorine kills everything.    >:(

Ha, ha. As a teenager, I lived in Encino which is in the San Fernando Valley in L.A. county. Our house had a pool that was treated chlorine. I think I am well acclimated and probably immune to the negative effects of chlorine. If I get COVID, I might drink some to cure it...not sure though. I should probably check with Trump first. ;D

One of the nice things about the pool at the L.A. fitness I go to is that they have a saltwater pool (no chlorine). This is becoming more and more popular.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
The problem is that you can eat in less than 10 minutes what takes more than an hour to burn.

Also, you can diet whether or not you’re  injured. If you roll an ankle or tweak a knee no more running and biking for a while.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that getbig is offering such great advises in this thread.

Lots of sensible suggestions compared to the usual rubbish you see on bodybuilding boards.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
Swimming is one area where I have always excelled or at least used to before COVID shut down the pools at the gym.
That's nothing to brag about.
There are levels to swimming:
- Olympic level swimmers
- People who can swim
- Dogs who can swim
- People who can't swim

Wading in the shallow end during recess, does not constitute: "excelling".

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2021, 02:16:24 PM »
Q

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2021, 02:38:06 PM »
Guess I'll brag first, like usual. Awfully excited about the mats so yeah I likely mentioned it. I scored German made Zebras, 40mm,  which are really well regarded, half price as ex-tournament mats. There not wildly expensive new but, due to covid restrictions, they didn't see much action and are in mint nick. My understanding is that Fuji are also top level, and the Zebra dude (whose name eludes) went across and took the process with him. I don't know much about Swain mats but they enjoy a good rep as well, despite being Chinese manufactured, and they were my third choice. Maybe you can score a similar bargain locally from Judo and BJJ tournament suppliers.

I'm no expert but I'd stay away from lesser mats. I've been on a few varieties of jigsaw mats without vinyl facing and they range from yucky to ghastly, and once dirty won't ever come clean again. Not to sound overly precious. It's fine. You train and basically forget they're there but it's just not something I'd want to step onto every day in my house. I just don't want to own something I don't like.

Also been on foldable mats with vinyl wrapping which had the vinyl separated from the foam. Not the end of the world but the little bit of slide from that unbonded vinyl would give a better martial artist than myself the shits, and I'd find it annoying for calisthenic and gymnastic endeavors. Also, they just weren't up to it for middle-aged takedown victims and I recall making an awfully noise after a teenage girl's drop seo nage sent me over flat backed. So not exactly an expert's voice of experience here but I'm really liking my Zebras and am pleased with the 'tatami' finish for purchase underfoot rather than dead smooth.

That's my 2.cents on mats but 1MR is going to be the dude to listen to if he has advice since he's logged thousands of hours more than me on them.

Fuuuck, it's past my bedtime, mate. Will check back tomorrow but if you want to DIY some stuff I can advise on framing, dry lining and ceilings, rendering, lime and hardwall skim finishes, painting, and finish carpentry.

Only last thing I meant to mention is consider what usage classification lets you in for. If calling it a potting shed rather than a living space saves you some sort of occupied square meters tax assessment. Electrical and plumbing regulations might be a headache if the building's use necessitates beefing up the existing house's mains. Of course, classifying it as a Granny Flat could do enough for your property value to make such things trivial. Sure you've thought all this stuff through already.

Subterranean areas really muffle shrieks and access to the most elevated height permitted by council regz is where you want the stargazing equipment.

I definitely don't want to scrimp on the floor covering.  I've got this vision of training barefoot in the Summer, like the old black and white pics of them in Golds Gym - would never consider that in the public places I've trained in (decorum, dontcha know)

We've asked for a couple of options - one of which puts the infrastructure for toilet and shower, etc. and one without - so we could always go back from it being a gym to a flat if we want.  But I reckon we'll keep it simple - that way we can't suddenly be forced to use it for a relative or something (what a b@stard!)

And my interpretation of this made me LOL  ;D

You're in Oz, right?
T

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2021, 02:40:59 PM »
That's nothing to brag about.
There are levels to swimming:
- Olympic level swimmers
- People who can swim
- Dogs who can swim
- People who can't swim

Wading in the shallow end during recess, does not constitute: "excelling".

Funny. My stepdad couldn't swim until I taught him how to dog paddle....or maybe he learned by watching our three dogs when they'd jump in the pool.

As a wee tot, I lived on Nantucket with my mom and she taught me to wade in the shallows of the Atlantic. After I moved to the west coast my mom and I hit the beach in Santa Monica daily during the summer months, where I would swim so far out I probably could have boarded one of the commercial fishing boats. I took diving lessons when I was 11 or 12...that was a flop or a lot of flops.  I was on the swim team in Junior and Senior High School. However, since I did not compete in the Nationals or the Olympics it puts me at least in your level #2 "people who can swim" category.

You, on the other hand should have no trouble floating in the water....that is unless you've slimmed down a whole lot. ;)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »
Funny. My stepdad couldn't swim until I taught him how to dog paddle....or maybe he learned by watching our three dogs when they'd jump in the pool.

As a wee tot, I lived on Nantucket with my mom and she taught me to wade in the shallows of the Atlantic. After I moved to the west coast my mom and I hit the beach in Santa Monica daily during the summer months, where I would swim so far out I probably could have boarded one of the commercial fishing boats. I took diving lessons when I was 11 or 12...that was a flop or a lot of flops.  I was on the swim team in Junior and Senior High School. However, since I did not compete in the Nationals or the Olympics it puts me at least in your level #2 "people who can swim" category.

You, on the other hand should have no trouble floating in the water....that is unless you've slimmed down a whole lot. ;)
There is something that I have learned from my long journey,  posting on Getbig.

Geriatrics, gimmicks, and retards, tend to post novel-esque, responses to replies.

It's a science.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2021, 03:19:30 PM »
There is something that I have learned from my long journey,  posting on Getbig.

Geriatrics, gimmicks, and retards, tend to post novel-esque, responses to replies.

It's a science.

Waiting for your "brother" to come on the boards and tell us all that you've drowned in a swimming accident.  Then a couple weeks later you'll be back drunk saying it was all a misunderstanding and that what really happened is that you were drowning in a public pool and that a coloured pool attendant gave you cock to mouth resuscitation.  Then you'll spend a couple years saying the board made up this story and that you've never sucked a dick again. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »

It's a science.

If my post looked like a novel to you....well, you must not read anything longer than the comics. Technically, a novel contains at least 40,000 words.  ;)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
Waiting for your "brother" to come on the boards and tell us all that you've drowned in a swimming accident.  Then a couple weeks later you'll be back drunk saying it was all a misunderstanding and that what really happened is that you were drowning in a public pool and that a coloured pool attendant gave you cock to mouth resuscitation.  Then you'll spend a couple years saying the board made up this story and that you've never sucked a dick again.
We say "colored" in the states. Besides, you are the only one stranded in a sea of semen.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2021, 10:14:26 AM »
I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that getbig is offering such great advises in this thread.

Lots of sensible suggestions compared to the usual rubbish you see on bodybuilding boards.

Oh man, this place is a wealth of knowledge. We have people from all walks of life that actively post and others that just lurk.

Now when it comes to workout or bodybuilding advice, these guys are phenomenal. We have a few pros that also lurk and they have also reached out to me with some good advice.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »

This hits the pecs like nothing else. When I started doing dips regularly I wondered why I bothered with any other chest exercise at all.

You said it!

For chest, I use seated (machine) presses, which is essentially just a flat bench motion but seated upright. I also use the pec deck. But, what I will add is that I do weighted machine dips (with the machine in which you can invert the handles as to make it work chest vs triceps, and it's been very effective in hitting my chest.

For a few months I was doing dumbbell pullovers and felt it was doing a lot for my chest, but the awkward angle/position made me stray away from it. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did ask a few personal trainers and a physical therapist about it and they all said I was fine, guess it didn't vibe with me as much.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »
The problem is that you can eat in less than 10 minutes what takes more than an hour to burn.

Yes sir.

Be it a combination of true caloric intake with actual weight gain versus water retention, some meals (say a pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream) will fuck you up big time.

"1"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
Oh man, this place is a wealth of knowledge. We have people from all walks of life that actively post and others that just lurk.

Now when it comes to workout or bodybuilding advice, these guys are phenomenal. We have a few pros that also lurk and they have also reached out to me with some good advice.

"1"

Today was as follows: 

5 am  - 15 minute  1 mile ruck (40lbs)   
5:15 - 6:15 - a lot of sandbag squats, lunges, medicine ball throws, kettlebell work, etc - little rest - moderate weight.   
6:15- 7:00 am - Ruck 40 lbs - 2.5-3 miles or so at 16-17 min pace - Just a good pace walk with weight. 

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
Today was as follows: 

5:15 - 6:15 - a lot of sandbag squats, lunges, medicine ball throws, kettlebell work, etc - little rest - moderate weight.   
6:15- 7:00 am - Ruck 40 lbs - 2.5-3 miles or so at 16-17 min pace - Just a good pace walk with weight.

But brother, you're a beast. A fucking mack truck of a man. That and you're probably in the your mid-30's. See 0:42-0:48 for the effect I am looking for when describing you.

"1"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »
But brother, you're a beast. A fucking mack truck of a man. That and you're probably in the your mid-30's. See 0:42-0:48 for the effect I am looking for when describing you.

"1"

Thanks bro.  45 yo but still feel like im 18.

Doing what works and keeps me healthy and injury free.  Injury avoidance is primary at our age.  But doing volume safely so keeping muscle mass while also getting cardio benefits.   Running fng blows and sucks so bad.  No no and f no. 

Walking w some weight really helps a lot.   Its like resistance cardio without cranking your knee joints.     

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »

For a few months I was doing dumbbell pullovers and felt it was doing a lot for my chest, but the awkward angle/position made me stray away from it. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did ask a few personal trainers and a physical therapist about it and they all said I was fine, guess it didn't vibe with me as much.

"1"

I never understood how dumbell pullovers involve any pecs at all. Serratus maybe could be seen as lower pec area, but not really. How are the pectoralis divisions lengthened or shortened here? When you do pullovers hard you get sore back and triceps, but triceps are worked through a very short range, mostly isometrically. Pullovers kinda feel good, nice stretch for the spine, like laying on a roller.  :D

Maybe I missed something and someone could explain. ???

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »

"1"

I'd never charge you for an autograph though.   LOL!!!!   :D ;D ;)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2021, 10:44:52 AM »
Today was as follows: 

5 min airdyne
2 sets warmups:
Half kneel landmine RDL
Quadrupled rock back into squat
Bird dog
Jumping good morning

Plyo:
5 sets of single leg bounds for 12M / 1 min rest

Strength:
Front squats: 5 x 2...build to max set of two to set baseline

Accessory:
3 Giant sets:
Goblet squat x 8
Soren hold x 45 sec (basically holding horizontal part of a hyper)
Death march x 12M  Step forward, touch dumbells to floor next to front foot, keeping both feet flat)

Conditioning:
6 sets - 20 meter sled push every 90 sec with 1.5x bodyweight

Recovery:
Various stretches
Y