Author Topic: Death Of The Internet: Censorship Bills In UK, Australia, U.S. Aim To Block “Und  (Read 1810 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Death Of The Internet: Censorship Bills In UK, Australia, U.S. Aim To Block “Undesirable” Websites
(Prison Planet: If you don't like the source, don't read it.)

Internet censorship bills currently working their way into law in the UK, Australia and the U.S. legislate for government powers to restrict and filter any website that it deems to be undesirable for public consumption.

In the UK, legislation slated as the “Digital Economy Bill“, currently being debated in the House of Lords, would allow the Home Secretary to place “a technical obligation on internet service providers” to block whichever sites it wishes.

Under clause 11 of the proposed legislation “technical obligation” is defined as follows:

A “technical obligation”, in relation to an internet service provider, is an obligation for the provider to take a technical measure against particular subscribers to its service.

A “technical measure” is a measure that — (a) limits the speed or other capacity of the service provided to a subscriber; (b) prevents a subscriber from using the service to gain access to particular material, or limits such use; (c) suspends the service provided to a subscriber; or (d) limits the service provided to a subscriber in another way.

In other words, the government will have the power to force ISPs to downgrade and even block your internet access to certain websites or altogether if it wishes.

The legislation comes in the wake of amplified UK government efforts to seize more power over the internet and those who use it.

For months now unelected “Secretary of State” Lord Mandelson has overseen government efforts to challenge the independence of the of UK’s internet infrastructure.

Mandelson also wants to impose harsh policies, via the Digital Economy Bill, that would see users’ broadband access cut off indefinitely, in addition to a fine of up to £50,000 without evidence or trial, if they download copyrighted music and films. The plan has been identified as “potentially illegal” by experts.

The legislation would impose a duty on ISPs to effectively spy on all their customers by keeping records of the websites they have visited and the material they have downloaded. ISPs who refuse to cooperate could be fined £250,000.

As Journalist and copyright law expert Cory Doctrow has noted, the bill also gives the Secretary of State the power to make up as many new penalties and enforcement systems as he likes, without Parliamentary oversight or debate.

This could include the authority to appoint private militias, who will have the power to kick you off the internet, spy on your use of the network, demand the removal of files in addition to the blocking of websites.

Mandelson and his successors will have the power to invent any penalty, including jail time, for any digital transgression he deems Britons to be guilty of.

Despite being named the Digital Economy Bill, the legislation contains nothing that will actually stimulate the economy and is largely based on shifting control over the internet into government hands, allowing unaccountable bureaucrats to arbitrarily hide information from the public should they wish to do so.

Mandelson began the onslaught on the free internet in the UK after spending a luxury two week holiday at Nat Rothschild’s Corfu mansion with multi-millionaire record company executive David Geffen.

cont... http://www.prisonplanet.com/death-of-the-internet-censorship-bills-in-uk-australia-u-s-aim-to-block-undesirable-websites.html

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Great,more liberty and personal freedom being taken away.How long before there are mass killings of government officials?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
I wouldn't worry too much. What they are attempting is impossible.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
This is old news. INTERNET 2 is already up and running...they just have not switched everyone onto it yet. once the switch takes place then the track and surveillance system will come in to play. Privacy and the "feeling" of anonymity will be over. 1984 comes that much closer.
C

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
I wouldn't worry too much. What they are attempting is impossible.

trust me...its NOT impossible...and its already done to a degree...hell i can do it in around 20ish minutes given access to an ISP router
as net engineers we are taught to filter bogon addresses (bogon stemming from the word bogus) so that denial of service...distributed denial of service and smurf attacks dont happen...so the know how and technology to block addresses is already there...we ALREADY use it to prevent malicious attacks...all ya gotta do is extend it to legit address space use :-\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering
http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurf_attack
> smurf attacks
carpe` vaginum!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
with encrypted streams and a use of proxys people will still get what they want.  This is BS though.  I can see your network admin at work filtering but in your own home is insane.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Wouldnt expect anything less from that little twat Mandelson...crushing freedom is something the Labour government has worked hard on since it got to power. Funny how none of the press in Britian is reporting this, and we spend all our time criticising China while we ourselves are becoming more and more like them.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Wouldnt expect anything less from that little twat Mandelson...crushing freedom is something the Labour government has worked hard on since it got to power. Funny how none of the press in Britian is reporting this, and we spend all our time criticising China while we ourselves are becoming more and more like them.

The USA, & the UK aren't alone there. Even my beloved Canada has risen to heights of incredible hypocrisy.
We condemned South Africa over apartheid while maintaining our own version of it with natives on the reservations.
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
with encrypted streams and a use of proxys people will still get what they want.  This is BS though.  I can see your network admin at work filtering but in your own home is insane.

proxys and encryption wont do jack if the ISP wants to block certain IPs

lets put it this way...
the blocked IP is your destination and the the proxy is the car you take to get there...
now if i shut down the destination...will it matter what kinda fancy car you use to get you there or what route you take?
same with encryption....wont matter if you as the driver of the car uses the disguise...the destination is STILL shutdown :-\

wait till we move to IPv6...it gives us net engineers MUCH more control over
carpe` vaginum!

Skip8282

• Getbig V

lets put it this way...
the blocked IP is your destination and the the proxy is the car you take to get there...
now if i shut down the destination...will it matter what kinda fancy car you use to get you there or what route you take?
same with encryption....wont matter if you as the driver of the car uses the disguise...the destination is STILL shutdown :-\

So our internet freedom is in your hands?  Aren't you like thirty-something and still living at home with mommy?

...we're all fucked...

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

So our internet freedom is in your hands?  Aren't you like thirty-something and still living at home with mommy?

...we're all fucked...

lol

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!

So our internet freedom is in your hands?  Aren't you like thirty-something and still living at home with mommy?

...we're all fucked...

your internet freedom is in my hands?  i happened to have taught this stuff for around 8 years and i thought some of you might actually be interested in learning....
you aren't one of them

as for living at home...hey ...not my fault that you come from a piss poor family that kicked you out at 18  ;D   kinda nice to have all of ones bills taken care of 8)
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
here fine...go read and memorize these books ...then you'll be as smarty pannies as myself and "control" the internet  ::) and when i said net engineers get more control with V6...it means easier to enforce stricter politcy on the part of the ISP...

carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
lastly..and i'm keeping this broken in sections so i dont loose ya

if ANYONE controls your internet...its THESE guys :-*
http://www.iana.org/
carpe` vaginum!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
trust me...its NOT impossible...and its already done to a degree...hell i can do it in around 20ish minutes given access to an ISP router
as net engineers we are taught to filter bogon addresses (bogon stemming from the word bogus) so that denial of service...distributed denial of service and smurf attacks dont happen...so the know how and technology to block addresses is already there...we ALREADY use it to prevent malicious attacks...all ya gotta do is extend it to legit address space use :-\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering
http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurf_attack
> smurf attacks

Technology is not the issue. Ultimately, you need a human to decide what to block and not block. That is where it becomes impossible. The sheer volume makes it impossible.

It's a bit like worrying about surveillance cameras - so there's millions of the things in the UK - but there are NOT millions of big brothers to watch them.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!

Technology is not the issue. Ultimately, you need a human to decide what to block and not block. That is where it becomes impossible. The sheer volume makes it impossible.

that comes down to network managers...i'm just a technical guy...i love solving problems..and happen to be decent doing just that...

if a network manager tells me such n such network or IP needs blocking...i do it and dont think 2ice about it
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
if it's so impossible, how does china manage on blocking a great deal of the web from a great deal of people there?  Kinda strange to say it's not possible.

the IANA assigns  large blocks (section of consecutive addresses) of IP addresses to parts of the world..

you deny that block of addresses on your perimeter router..in effect you deny ALL your ISP customers access to that part of the internet world

here is the IP assignment
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml
carpe` vaginum!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
point being, china does it so it can't be impossible and they're always adding to blocked sites so it's an ongoing process but they do it.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
point being, china does it so it can't be impossible and they're always adding to blocked sites so it's an ongoing process but they do it.

the only hope is satellite internet...but then again...i'm sure they'd find a way to block frequencies
carpe` vaginum!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
the only hope is satellite internet...but then again...i'm sure they'd find a way to block frequencies
yea, I don't know why not, they already can do that.  Jamming frequencies is not hard and there are other ways to control the people's access to them for the most part.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
yea, I don't know why not, they already can do that.  Jamming frequencies is not hard and there are other ways to control the people's access to them for the most part.

i honestly dont think it'll happen anytime soon...ie the next 10ish years
carpe` vaginum!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior

lets put it this way...

This is not true. With encrypted proxies like those used by secure-tunnel, you will only see a connection between myself and the proxy, everything else will be encrypted so if the proxy still has access to the ultimate IP, then I can see it regardless of anything you do to block me.

I live in a country with a high level of internet cencorship and I still manage to get to blocked sites by uising an encrypted proxy (which is not legal here).

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
This is not true. With encrypted proxies like those used by secure-tunnel, you will only see a connection between myself and the proxy, everything else will be encrypted so if the proxy still has access to the ultimate IP, then I can see it regardless of anything you do to block me.

I live in a country with a high level of internet cencorship and I still manage to get to blocked sites by uising an encrypted proxy (which is not legal here).

yes VPNs can do that...you r correct...threw me off with encrypted proxy...
carpe` vaginum!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
if it's so impossible, how does china manage on blocking a great deal of the web from a great deal of people there?  Kinda strange to say it's not possible.

I live in Thailand where the government does the same thing, yet I manage to get around it as do many people in China.

It's just that the non-savvy either don't know how to get around the blocks OR haven't the balls to do so. In China, not having the balls is understandable.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
ok Pedro i ws in a rush before...now here is how i see this

your proxy MUST be running Tunnel mode ipsec where the IP info is encrypted as well as the payload...ok then i can see the IP being hidden

in transport mode IPsec the IP info is there for anyone to see...only the payload is encrypted...

tunnel mode IPsec has a very high overhead though

having said all this...a GOOD intrusion detect system will look for IPsec tunnel mode signatures (which i'm just starting to learn) and a good Engineer WILL defanitely be able to block and stop any such hoohaa eventually...remember the last resort an ISP still has is to just take your internet access away PERIOD!
PS thailand and china dont have the best network engineers mate....
for example....lets say you wanna gain access to a server thru a tunnel...instead of blocking your IP I block ALL IPs and only create holes in my firewall and allow access to IPs i pick(certain customers)...of course you could spoof but i'm just giving you a general example...i could again for example stop your spoofing by setting up AAA services where together with a specific IP you'd also need a username and password...my point is..there is ALWAYS a way
carpe` vaginum!