Author Topic: Power Cleans.  (Read 13258 times)

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
Power Cleans.
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »
I love em,
but I got this pain in my forearm.
Tendonitis on my right tendon
on the top of my arm.

Hurts when I do curls too.

What do ya clean with, and how often?

Great GH releasor.
Most are all show no go!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Power Cleans.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
i think if cleans hurt your arms, you're probably not doing them right. catch on the shoulders, not the wrists.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
i think if cleans hurt your arms, you're probably not doing them right. catch on the shoulders, not the wrists.

that's right..catch under your shoulders. wrist flexion tends to be a problem initially until you get the wrists strong enough and flexible enough to catch it.

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
I do power cleans every 3 weeks ~ 275# for 5.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
nice weight kimura...

too... make sure y ou stop all movements that irritate the site first..then do alot of light hammercurls and light pressdowns to help heal the area up. trust me it works... then get you a nice pair of wrist wraps for support to help keep it from coming back. Same thing happens to me when i do barbell curls. Wrist wraps did it for me.  I get mine at prowriststraps.com..can't make a bad choice with anything from apt

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
nice weight kimura...

too... make sure y ou stop all movements that irritate the site first..then do alot of light hammercurls and light pressdowns to help heal the area up. trust me it works... then get you a nice pair of wrist wraps for support to help keep it from coming back. Same thing happens to me when i do barbell curls. Wrist wraps did it for me.  I get mine at prowriststraps.com..can't make a bad choice with anything from apt

Good suggestion on the wraps.  In addition, I find that if start the movement at knee level (i.e. hang clean), my wrists hurt just like you described.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
I do power cleans every 3 weeks ~ 275# for 5.

that's a nice weight right there for 5.

I just got back into them after a lower back deal. @ 225 1 rep now perfect form mid workout, so I think I will try more next week. Goal is 3 plates.you should be able to handle that. Have you tried yet?

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
225x2

Getting there. Would like to snap 3 plates by winter. Great for building teh traps :)

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
that's a nice weight right there for 5.

I just got back into them after a lower back deal. @ 225 1 rep now perfect form mid workout, so I think I will try more next week. Goal is 3 plates.you should be able to handle that. Have you tried yet?

I tried 3 plates tonight.  I got 3 clean reps and 2 not so clean.   It felt much better than I thought it would.  I am actually more impressed with my push-presses; 275 for 5.  It went up like butter.

It won't be long before I am kicked out of Planet Fitness in Waltham, MA.

;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »
Cleans and Hi-Pulls are excellent for the whole chain of back muscles, from the traps to the small of the back. That would include those muscles running all the way down to the calfs/ankles. Are very effective for the delts, both rear and side. All around mass builder.

Some may have trouble with the wrist flexibility, which in return can cause pain. If you are raising the elbows up high enough (which most BB'ers are prone not to do...check out some video's of Olympic lifters for hints) and allowing the hand/fingers to catch/set the bar on the base of the front delts,  a lot of the wrist problems should be reduced. Too close or wide a grip can also cause some problems. The more reps you get in the better the over all flexibility of the wrist/elbows. Practice  with the bar only for a while to learn better form. A added suggestions is that the foot placement and even the toe griping has a bearing on a good clean. That's where it all starts from anyway.

When cleaning from the floor I will do the deep squat clean version. Almost like a high raising DL and than getting under it as fast as you can. Prefer rack over floor cleans/Hi-Pulls. Usually hit either one twice a week. Try getting away from lower reps and get to 10 to 12 reps range. See how that may affect muscle building and stamina.

Might also try two hand DB cleans from the floor for a whole new experience. Also the one arm DB Hi-Pull, from a hang position, are excellent for raw power. If anyone is into athletics than consider these two DB versions for position and functional (over used term I know..sorry) strength. Good Luck.
F

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
great functional movement. good for athletes. good foreveryday agility and strength.

for bodybuilding ?? forget about it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:09 AM »
Can-did: Please state you reason(s) why cleans (or Hi-Pulls) are not a affective BB'ing exercise. Example: doing 3 or 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps a workout. And that would probably be the only back exercise you might need in that workout.  My reason: seen it work wonders on dozens of men (and a few women) throughout the years. Good Luck.
F

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »
because most effective bodybuilding routines are compromised of workout schedules based on one body part per workout. cleans incorporate alot of muscles. pretty much the entire body ! this would interfere with recovery and growth from your other workouts.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
because most effective bodybuilding routines are compromised of workout schedules based on one body part per workout. cleans incorporate alot of muscles. pretty much the entire body ! this would interfere with recovery and growth from your other workouts.

So? I do cleans on shoulder days....And I squat the day after, and have no ill results except round delts, and thick traps ;)

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
Since I started doing CLEANS, my traps/upper back have gotten much thicker.  add those on top of heavy dead's or rack pulls and bam, my traps grew.  IMHO, shrugs are pointless!  Just my two cents

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »
Since I started doing CLEANS, my traps/upper back have gotten much thicker.  add those on top of heavy dead's or rack pulls and bam, my traps grew.  IMHO, shrugs are pointless!  Just my two cents

For sure man, except, you should incorporate Shrugs right after Deadlifts and Power Clean IMHO

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »

Yup, I haven't worked my traps directly in quite a while.  They are one of my body parts that I don't have to train often to get to grow.  Heavy deads and rack pulls make them grow enough, if I worked them directly they'd explode.  I wish my biceps were like that :/

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
Yup, I haven't worked my traps directly in quite a while.  They are one of my body parts that I don't have to train often to get to grow.  Heavy deads and rack pulls make them grow enough, if I worked them directly they'd explode.  I wish my biceps were like that :/

you and me both, bud. my traps grow doin' nothin. i almsot never do shrugs, yet my traps never get smaller. deads seem to be enough, with some high pulls tossed in once in a while.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
So? I do cleans on shoulder days....And I squat the day after, and have no ill results except round delts, and thick traps ;)
okay, then explain these stats.  were your legs cut off ? 
Sup fellas,

I am 5'10.

I am currently 195 lbs. 15%.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
okay, then explain these stats.  were your legs cut off ? 
nothing wrong with those stats at all, the guy never claimed to be an IFBB pro.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
nothing wrong with those stats at all, the guy never claimed to be an IFBB pro.
correct. but your not going to have round delts and thick traps at 195 15% bf at 5'10''.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »
correct. but your not going to have round delts and thick traps at 195 15% bf at 5'10''.
why not? mesomorph does.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
For sure man, except, you should incorporate Shrugs right after Deadlifts and Power Clean IMHO

In each to there own I guess  ;)

I find regular shrugs boring, as I would rather do hang snatches, high pulls, or DB swings.  Now, I will do power shrugs here and there but not as a prime lift

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »
why not? mesomorph does.
mesomorph is about 7-8 %bf. monstrous difference.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
I like that article Jim Wendler wrote on elitefts sometime back.  it was about getting a BIG YOKE.  just a lot of deadlifts, o'lifts, then rows and then shrugs.  good read