Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 464592 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2450 on: July 06, 2024, 07:13:13 AM »
Ran the charity 5K this morning. Haven't run these type events in years. I'm a sprinter and not a distance runner.  This was a small race by the bay. Maybe 200 people ran. A nice surprise was that my old Outfit buzzed the crowd maybe 200 yards up in a helicopter. Wasn't expecting them to do that.

It was hot and very humid with an unrelenting sun.  Felt a little sick when I finished. Ran slow 8 minute something miles. I didn't realize I ran past my granddaughter holding a sign until I heard from the back, "Pop!".  I turned to wave at her.

The running community is for the most part a friendly crowd. Plenty of really beautiful in shape young women. Keeping it bodybuilding related a few guys who looked like they were in great lifting shape ran too.

Monday I will pick up lifting again and my next goal is to get faster in distance running. Progress is coming slow at this age and health. I feel good but that could change.   

Jumping in the pool and having a beer soon.

why not just pick one & stick with it. As i wrote before you tend to drift between low set training sets to failure & running.

which then would you say was your best success?, you donīt look like you built a big Physique ( not bad) or were you always looking for that athletic look?

I would say that most who train Heavy Duty style would go for size with low set training.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2451 on: July 06, 2024, 09:43:40 AM »
why not just pick one & stick with it. As i wrote before you tend to drift between low set training sets to failure & running.

which then would you say was your best success?, you donīt look like you built a big Physique ( not bad) or were you always looking for that athletic look?

I would say that most who train Heavy Duty style would go for size with low set training.

I'm not a bodybuilder. Right now I like to think of myself as an aging athlete.  While in various places in my life I have been pretty muscular like when I was 24, no one would confuse me as a bodybuilder. I was close to 190lbs at 5'8.5" about a year ago and felt it was way too much weight. I'm hoovering around 167lbs depending on the day.  I don't think it's in the cards for me but I sure would like to be Conor McGregor size at 155lbs.

I enjoy the hybrid training of running and lifting. Yes, doing that you're the master of nothing and compromise what ever potential you have in either disciplines.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2452 on: July 07, 2024, 04:16:36 AM »
I'm not a bodybuilder. Right now I like to think of myself as an aging athlete.  While in various places in my life I have been pretty muscular like when I was 24, no one would confuse me as a bodybuilder. I was close to 190lbs at 5'8.5" about a year ago and felt it was way too much weight. I'm hoovering around 167lbs depending on the day.  I don't think it's in the cards for me but I sure would like to be Conor McGregor size at 155lbs.

I enjoy the hybrid training of running and lifting. Yes, doing that you're the master of nothing and compromise what ever potential you have in either disciplines.

Just keeping healthy is enough.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2453 on: July 07, 2024, 05:45:46 AM »
Just keeping healthy is enough.

Trying to stay in athletic shape which is different from the bodybuilding mindset. I believe this picture was taken two years ago when I was 63. You can laugh at it. I do. I have never used steroids and I use zero testosterone replacement. I'm about 20 pounds lighter now so more defined. Maybe I will take a picture in September to compare. I do have health issues though but I'm feeling pretty good right now. It sounds weird but I'm going for the Sprinter body. I'm thin. I think fans of bodybuilding have a warped idea of what trained body looks like because of all the steroid use that bodybuilders use. If a champion sprinter, MMA guy or even an NFL running back would have their picture posted on getbig with no reference to their sport they would be mocked for having a terrible physique. I think even distance runners have a great body.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2454 on: July 08, 2024, 11:26:43 AM »
I keep typing out different ideas for training but come back to the same old, lol. At least on Wednesday my leg training will be a  little different.

Power cleans 3 x 3 then 1 x 1 ( I think these might be jamming my shoulders. I should see if I can snatch again.)

Medium width pulldowns 2 x 10
Seated lat pulley rows 2x12 (Used a wider handle than I normally use. I usually use a typical V bar but I used a more wide handle today. I could get my hands further back. Pic at bottom)
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Narrow pulldown 2 x 10

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Decline flies 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max (regular and one with perfect pushup handles for extra range)

Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15

Ab wheel 1 x 22
Ab pulley crunch 1 x 40

Shoulders are bugging me. I think it was my  terrible form with the power cleans but naturally could be the chest workout. Normally declines don't irritate my shoulders. Just shot and it was a good workout. I keep saying I have to stop doing the low sets to failure but I always return. It really irritates my brain to do a set and stop knowing I have more in me. That's something you have to do with volume but it's a saner way to train. Maybe next week.  Like Bill Pearl said, "Don't train to failure."  Haney said, "Stimulate but don't annihilate."  Jay Cutler says you can't train to failure if you train with volume. He said maybe the last set of an exercise but you can't train with volume doing all your sets to failure. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Trump is a tough S.O.B." - Teamsters President
« Reply #2455 on: July 09, 2024, 06:18:27 AM »
OT,

Take a current pic so we can compare after your leaning up.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2456 on: July 09, 2024, 11:37:25 AM »
OT,

Take a current pic so we can compare after your leaning up.

I might. I will just open myself up to get mocked. Maybe September. Still a work in progress, lol. Again, I'm not a bodybuilder but an aging athlete into being fit.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2457 on: July 09, 2024, 01:34:50 PM »
I might. I will just open myself up to get mocked. Maybe September. Still a work in progress, lol. Again, I'm not a bodybuilder but an aging athlete into being fit.

Nobody goes to this section.

Anyway you already posted the older pic and no one commented.

A bodybuilder is someone who exercises to build the body so you are a bodybuilder.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2458 on: July 09, 2024, 01:41:21 PM »
Nobody goes to this section.

Anyway you already posted the older pic and no one commented.

A bodybuilder is someone who exercises to build the body so you are a bodybuilder.

My definition is a guy who takes steroids to impress the clueless. That's a bodybuilder. An athlete who lift weighs is not.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2459 on: July 09, 2024, 01:45:30 PM »
Plan was to do early cardio prior to watching my granddaughter. Couldn't get up early enough.  Ran at 4PM and it was 91 and humid.  Very little shade. I only ran two miles.  At least I got some running in. Nobody was in the park except one teenager runner, a rucker of all things and one old man walking. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2460 on: July 09, 2024, 03:18:01 PM »
My definition is a guy who takes steroids to impress the clueless. That's a bodybuilder. An athlete who lift weighs is not.

You can be a bodybuilder and not take drugs.

But I understand why you say that, since drugs are pervasive in bodybuilding.

However, drugs are pervasive in all competitive sports nowadays.

Runners are using drugs. You run but don't use drugs so should we say you are not a runner?

Bodybuilding is training for aesthetics and also to build up the body.

Body Building.

What you do is certainly bodybuilding. 

You train in rep ranges conducive for hypertrophy.

You also do multiple shaping exercises for each bodypart, the classic bodybuilding method.

Bodybuilding is a style of weight training.

My two cents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding

Bodybuilding is the practice of progressive resistance exercise to build, control, and develop one's muscles via hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. It is primarily undertaken for aesthetic purposes over functional ones, distinguishing it from similar activities such as powerlifting and calisthenics.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2461 on: July 09, 2024, 05:06:00 PM »
You can be a bodybuilder and not take drugs.

But I understand why you say that, since drugs are pervasive in bodybuilding.

However, drugs are pervasive in all competitive sports nowadays.

Runners are using drugs. You run but don't use drugs so should we say you are not a runner?

Bodybuilding is training for aesthetics and also to build up the body.

Body Building.

What you do is certainly bodybuilding. 

You train in rep ranges conducive for hypertrophy.

You also do multiple shaping exercises for each bodypart, the classic bodybuilding method.

Bodybuilding is a style of weight training.

My two cents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding

Bodybuilding is the practice of progressive resistance exercise to build, control, and develop one's muscles via hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. It is primarily undertaken for aesthetic purposes over functional ones, distinguishing it from similar activities such as powerlifting and calisthenics.

I'd like to think I'm training for function to be a better athlete with some vanity movements thrown in. Right now I'm really thin. No one would think I'm a bodybuilder, lol. You make some valid points. One thing is true. If there were no drugs then bodybuilding wouldn't exist. Any shows would be held in HS auditoriums before a crowd of 500 for a top show.

Real sports will exist with drugs or without drugs. I know there is doping in the Olympics but at least they vigorously test now. See what they did with Olympic weight lifting?  They changed all the weight categories to eliminate the drug records. I'm sure some drug guys slip through the cracks. That's why bodybuilding is not in the Olympics. Not one Mr. Olympia contestant could pass an Olympics level testing.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2462 on: July 10, 2024, 07:25:10 PM »
Today is leg day.  Had to drive to a funeral out of state that took about eight hours in total out of the day.  Wife's uncle was an incredible man.  He was in charge of building roads in Disney, Middle east and so many places being the top guy in road construction. Had 7 kids and lived on a farm house that was well over 200 years old that he restored. He needed electricity and trenched by himself about a 150 yards of conduit to give his farm house electricity. His house was a show case. He came from nothing and became a wealthy man through his hard work. Died at 94.  His whole extended family was at the funeral.

Leg press 2 x 12 (Went really deep with a low back board)

Dumbbell squats on a high wedge 2x 12  (Try it. My wedge is really high so it's almost a cross between a sissy squat and a hack. Really limits you to light weights. Ass to grass deep. I could have used no weight and it would have gotten hard with high reps)

High box step ups 2 x 8 (New exercise for me as the wedge squats were. Really is a humbling exercise. Form notes: I tried not to push off with the opposite foot. After a few reps the negative part was way to fast. Working on that. I tried not to use the not working foot for balance by landing the foot at the top but as the reps went I had to. Very seldom used exercise in the weight room but it's amazing.  I used a 20" box but I might transition to a higher one after increasing the dumbbells held at the sides weight.  I encourage guys looking for a new challenge to try it. Some points. Don't push off with the other leg. If possible don't land the non working leg on the box.  Try to resist the negative. I found that tough.)

leg extension 2x20
seated leg curl 2 x 15

Hanging straight leg raise 1x22
Hip ups 1 x 30 (on back on the floor. Feet pointing toward ceiling. Raise hips to punch the feet toward the ceiling.)

Standing calf raise 2 x 15
Seated calf raise 2 x 15
Leg Press calf 2 x 25
tibialis work 1x20

Neck work on four way machine 2 x 30 a side.

Adapting and changing some stuff as I age. I was having hip pain with the leg press and squatting. I have to think about longevity at this age. Grinding the joints down to dust and compressing the spine is not part of the plan. High wedge squats and high box step ups are a completely new addition to the way I work out. I'm impressed so far. I might add box jumps to the equation in time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2463 on: July 14, 2024, 04:05:45 PM »
Been sick with a low grade fever and other problems. (Said in an Austrian accent) I'll be back.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2464 on: July 14, 2024, 05:37:48 PM »
Been sick with a low grade fever and other problems. (Said in an Austrian accent) I'll be back.

Wondered what was up.

Get well, my friend.

Who will I argue with if you're not around?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2465 on: July 15, 2024, 12:17:30 PM »
Wondered what was up.

Get well, my friend.

Who will I argue with if you're not around?

You want an argument?  Flash Gordon would definitely win over your boy Tarzan. No cheating this time by getting the assist from his chimp. The chimp better not show up.

I thought my other problem was kicking in but now I think it was the fish I ate at a Funeral repass last Wednesday.  Low grade fever, exhaustion, sweating at night and the runs.  Ugh.  Today I feel like I'm on the mend.

Used my old standard version of a Yates inspired workout.  I find a good method is to start after a break is to start with such a light weight that the one set to failure results in high reps.  It really pumps and activates muscle memory. 

Delt and triceps:

Military press 1 x 10
Dumbbell delt laterals 1x25
Single pulley laterals 1 x 16
Rear delt laterals 1 x 22
Face pulls 1x24
Barbell Shrugs 1x18

V Handle tricep push downs 1 x 28 (Yes, 28 reps.)
EZ bar skull crushers 1 x 12
Two hand dumbbell behind head tricep extension 1 x 15
Dips 1 x 14 (dug deep)

Floor crunch 1 x 90
Pulley crunch 1 x 70
Roman chair 1 x 30

Took an hour then went for a 3.25 mile run in the heat. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2466 on: July 15, 2024, 01:52:52 PM »
Heckuva workout.

This heat and humidity have been nasty.

Be smart.

Must be a bit cooler for you near the shore.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2467 on: July 15, 2024, 03:27:17 PM »
Heckuva workout.

This heat and humidity have been nasty.

Be smart.

Must be a bit cooler for you near the shore.

I'm bay side but about a half mile from the bay. It's hot as hell. Going over the Seaside bridge the temp always goes down a little. I ran slow as hell. Just recovering from being sick and the heat was probably the worst of the summer so far. Hitting it early tomorrow so I can beat the heat. 

Saw two guys from a gym I use to use. Huge possibly steroid guys. They looked like two water buffalos walking.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2468 on: July 17, 2024, 09:46:48 AM »
Plenty of doctor visits lately. Doctor said did you know your heart rate is 50?  Yes, I do.  Probably lower when I'm relaxed at home. Six doctor visits or blood tests in four weeks. Tired of it. Everyone is keeping a close eye on me, lol.

I've been thinking. In light of my health issues I've concluded it would wise to give up on trying to be strong. Time to just train and forget about the weight. I will keep trying to push the cardio though.  I feel it give the best health give back for the effort. I knew this from an old study but reason studies confirm it that cardio burns more calories than lifting. That myth about lifting burning calories for hours after is partially true but so does cardio. Nothing is  a cure all. You have to do what puts the risks factors in your favor and after that it's out of your hands.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #2469 on: July 17, 2024, 06:20:42 PM »
Trying to stay in athletic shape which is different from the bodybuilding mindset. I believe this picture was taken two years ago when I was 63. You can laugh at it. I do. I have never used steroids and I use zero testosterone replacement. I'm about 20 pounds lighter now so more defined. Maybe I will take a picture in September to compare. I do have health issues though but I'm feeling pretty good right now. It sounds weird but I'm going for the Sprinter body. I'm thin. I think fans of bodybuilding have a warped idea of what trained body looks like because of all the steroid use that bodybuilders use. If a champion sprinter, MMA guy or even an NFL running back would have their picture posted on getbig with no reference to their sport they would be mocked for having a terrible physique. I think even distance runners have a great body.

You Armenian?