Author Topic: PT business advice #1  (Read 4872 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
PT business advice #1
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »
As I said, I will make ONE thread per day on what worked for me and I will try to conclude by the new year in case anyone would like try and either develop a business or make a little more. Keep in mind, I'm not great at business in the way of keeping books, records, etc, etc. I have an assistant and CPA who does that. Me, I just love to train people and watch them progress with my training systems. I guarantee my results and I have pretty much 2 areas of training, my general fitness clients that includes Private (one on one), semi-private (2-3) and fitness boot camps, I have other trainers for that. I thing is training athletes, high school, college and pro athletes in power sports such as football, Lacrosse, baseball, MMA as well as team training.

Ok, first thing is first, besides having a passion for training you have to have a niche, something that seperates you from other trainers, then you have to position yourself in the community as the "go to" trainer for you particular niche. Mine is training athletes, I seperate myself by letting people know that training athletes is almost the complete opposite of training the "soccer mom" who just wants to shed few pounds. Most personal trainers are trained to help the general public, not athletes. One thing that I have learned when I was building my business (and still do this) is that your a marketer first.

Post 2 tomorrow.

uberman09

• Getbig IV
Re: PT business advice #1
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

who do you think you are exactly? Need attention?

This "advice" number one stinks.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
JME,

this is a serious question btw

is "Trophy trainer" a legit niche'?

as in the good looking trainer that is only hired by rich women/men solely cuz they are a status symbol

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
JME,

this is a serious question btw

is "Trophy trainer" a legit niche'?

as in the good looking trainer that is only hired by rich women/men solely cuz they are a status symbol
have you considered putting "metrosexual superstar" on your business cards?

bench

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »
have you considered putting "metrosexual superstar" on your business cards?

bench

naw- then people would already know i'm a huge douche rather than train a couple of sessions with me THEN find out that i am a huge douche lol

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »

Come on now , let him have his say.
He is sharing what works for him , it may not work for you or the next guy but he has found a recipe that works for him and is good enough to share it.
I give Joe a wind up also but am interested in reading what he has to say on this topic.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
naw- then people would already know i'm a huge douche rather than train a couple of sessions with me THEN find out that i am a huge douche lol
dude...you are a bronzed (orange ;) ) personal trainer...trust me, they already know ;D

bench

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
dude...you are a bronzed (orange ;) ) personal trainer...trust me, they already know ;D

bench

I also i have a new hairstyle that makes me a legit contender for tool academy 3

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
JNN always has great hair

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
I also i have a new hairstyle that makes me a legit contender for tool academy 3
broskie, i turn the channel when the commercials for that show come on....if you were on it i would be a full time viewer of that shit ;D

bench

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »

If you read my first post asshole, I said if I didn't get a positive response I would leave alone and post nothing on it. There are alot of trainers on here, some who do it as a business some who don't. I read alot of the pt posts on here and from what I've read they are not making that much in the belief there is not much to be made. Look dick head, don't comment on the thread if your just going to flame. I just want to help people.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Coach, you've been the game for awhile and probably have a pretty decent CV, and I imagine your experience plays a big role in winning clients.  Would younger guys like webcke have a more difficult time establishing a niche clientele?  What advice would you give to the younger guys without a strong track record to help market themselves successfully?

Also, if someone was considering getting into the PT game (I'm not, but just asking for the guys you're writing for), is there any sort of research that they could do to help them get an idea of how to best pitch their business?  Which niche to shoot for (I always thought a trainer for the aging would be a strong market) and how to best appeal to those prospective clients?  Also, going a little off topic, but how would a new guy go about calculating his startup and ongoing costs and decide on how much to charge?  Or is what a PT charges dictated by the competition?

I'm sure some guys are going to try to hang shit on you but it's cool of you to give your thoughts to the younger PTs.  8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
Coach, you've been the game for awhile and probably have a pretty decent CV, and I imagine your experience plays a big role in winning clients.  Would younger guys like webcke have a more difficult time establishing a niche clientele?  What advice would you give to the younger guys without a strong track record to help market themselves successfully?

Also, if someone was considering getting into the PT game (I'm not, but just asking for the guys you're writing for), is there any sort of research that they could do to help them get an idea of how to best pitch their business?  Which niche to shoot for (I always thought a trainer for the aging would be a strong market) and how to best appeal to those prospective clients?  Also, going a little off topic, but how would a new guy go about calculating his startup and ongoing costs and decide on how much to charge?  Or is what a PT charges dictated by the competition?

I'm sure some guys are going to try to hang shit on you but it's cool of you to give your thoughts to the younger PTs.  8)

This is my opinion. Guys like Webcke who have little experiance, like anyone else starting out in anything, has to get experiance, not in a commercial facility but with a private studio or good trainer that can either do an internship or mentor under. I've never worked anywhere else but from what I have heard you really don't learn much exept on how to sweep and put weights away.

As for the actual setting up the business, I wasn't going to get into that because of the nature of getbig (flaming and thinking it might be boring, etc,etc). But we set up an LLC (limited liability company) for tax purposes. Got the necessary business licenses, trainers must have degrees or CSCS's, etc, etc. I can go into detail later if need be.

Marketing comes later in the week.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 09:04:13 PM »
This is my opinion. Guys like Webcke who have little experiance, like anyone else starting out in anything, has to get experiance, not in a commercial facility but with a private studio or good trainer that can either do an internship or mentor under. I've never worked anywhere else but from what I have heard you really don't learn much exept on how to sweep and put weights away.

As for the actual setting up the business, I wasn't going to get into that because of the nature of getbig (flaming and thinking it might be boring, etc,etc). But we set up an LLC (limited liability company) for tax purposes. Got the necessary business licenses, trainers must have degrees or CSCS's, etc, etc. I can go into detail later if need be.

Marketing comes later in the week.

Cool, cheers Joe.  Don't let anyone put you off.  See how a few threads go but I bet you'll get some very grateful guys chiming in or PMing you.  It's a really generous move on your part.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
Come on now , let him have his say.
He is sharing what works for him , it may not work for you or the next guy but he has found a recipe that works for him and is good enough to share it.
I give Joe a wind up also but am interested in reading what he has to say on this topic.

X2

Just because he is a cock,you cannot deny that he has built a good business in a field where it is very,very difficult to do so

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
Coach is a successful man with muscles

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
So what made you choose your particular niche, Coach?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »
For as long as you've been in the fitness game, why didn't you open a gym? This way you'd have something to sell if you ever decided to do something else.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
X2

Just because he is a cock,you cannot deny that he has built a good business in a field where it is very,very difficult to do so

X3

hes a fucking weirdo....but he obviously is doing something right in the field.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
As I said, I will make ONE thread per day on what worked for me and I will try to conclude by the new year in case anyone would like try and either develop a business or make a little more. Keep in mind, I'm not great at business in the way of keeping books, records, etc, etc. I have an assistant and CPA who does that. Me, I just love to train people and watch them progress with my training systems. I guarantee my results and I have pretty much 2 areas of training, my general fitness clients that includes Private (one on one), semi-private (2-3) and fitness boot camps, I have other trainers for that. I thing is training athletes, high school, college and pro athletes in power sports such as football, Lacrosse, baseball, MMA, etc.

Ok, first thing is first, besides having a passion for training you have to have a niche, something that seperates you from other trainers, then you have to position yourself in the community as the "go to" trainer for you particular niche. Mine is training athletes, I seperate myself by letting people know that training athletes is almost the complete opposite of training the "soccer mom" who just wants to shed few pounds. Most personal trainers are trained to help the general public, not athletes. One thing that I have learned when I was building my business (and still do this) is that your a marketer first.

Post 2 tomorrow.

Get a real job.  PT ranks right up there with Chiropractic... All bullshit hand holding and listening to fat housewives vent their problems.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
Get a real job.  PT ranks right up there with Chiropractic... All bullshit hand holding and listening to fat housewives vent their problems.

::) ::) real job

a real job pays your bills and provides for your family.

perhaps the stormshadow can indulge us on his illustrious career?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
So what made you choose your particular niche, Coach?

Simple, I want to train people who have significant goals. Unless the person has health problems (general fitness clients) they tend to slack, make excuses to not train hard or just anything to NOT train, since I just don"t want to take their money for nothing, I cut them from my program. Athletes have a goal, to get stronger, faster and bigger....in that order. I have kids that have got full rides to harvard, Duke UCLA, LMU and Cal. THOSE are kids that had goals and achieved them. Part of our program includes a report card check each semester, if they don't have at least a 3.0 GPA they are out of our program until they earn it back.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »
For as long as you've been in the fitness game, why didn't you open a gym? This way you'd have something to sell if you ever decided to do something else.

This summer. But to be fair, the owner of our gym is awesome and lets me pretty much do as I please.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »
Simple, I want to train people who have significant goals. Unless the person has health problems (general fitness clients) they tend to slack, make excuses to not train hard or just anything to NOT train, since I just don"t want to take their money for nothing, I cut them from my program. Athletes have a goal, to get stronger, faster and bigger....in that order. I have kids that have got full rides to harvard, Duke UCLA, LMU and Cal. THOSE are kids that had goals and achieved them. Part of our program includes a report card check each semester, if they don't have at least a 3.0 GPA they are out of our program until they earn it back.

QFT. great standards to set Coach. The GPA thing in particular....

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »
For what it's worth coach, I'm interested in your PT advices.  I have thought about trying it someday for extra money.  Also what city do you live in?  Maybe if I am ever in the area I can stop by to train.