Author Topic: What to eat before a morning lift?  (Read 1959 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
What to eat before a morning lift?
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
I'm going to be starting to get up at 6 and most likely be in the gym by 7-715 in the morning. I was wondering what everyone would recommend for a pre-workout meal to get some decent energy in before it. I usually go with oatmeal and some juice when I lift in the morning.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
Re: What to eat before a morning lift?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:32:45 AM »
I'm going to be starting to get up at 6 and most likely be in the gym by 7-715 in the morning. I was wondering what everyone would recommend for a pre-workout meal to get some decent energy in before it. I usually go with oatmeal and some juice when I lift in the morning.

Personally, I dont like lifting on too full of a stomach.

I wake at 6am, drink a Whey and Waxy Maize shake

7am- take a pre-workout No/creatine product with a bit of caffeine

Train: 7:30-8:30 or 9am. During: BCAA blend (Xtend)

Post Workout: Whey and Waxy Maize again.

At least get some egg whites with those oats or some protein powder. Juice pre workout not good for me, crash mid workout with all carbs pre workout. Protein will kick metabolism up and if you are looking to lean up, just protein pre workout and whey and waxy post. hope that helps..

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »
BF, I used to do that a cpl years ago. I used to eat a high protein meal at like 5:30, usually 10 egg whites and 2 whole eggs all scrambled together..

Then drink a protein shake before my 7 am workout, then a protein shake plus carbs (banana, apple, oatmeal etc) afterwards.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »
I would definitely have some caffeine half an hour befor training.  Just to burn those extra few calories.
It hasn't helped...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »
I hate working out with a full stomach. Since you only have an hour or so until you lift I would just drink a protein shake. On days when I only have an hour between waking up & going to the gym I'll usually have a cup of yogurt or protein shake (which ever appeals to me at the time).

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. Morning's pretty much the only time I can lift for the next month or two. I can thank my school for having two weight rooms that have a limit of 60 people for a campus of roughly 20,000+ (which says a lot about how many people don't exercise), and with all the New Years resolutioners all over the place, trying to get in there after 10 am turns into an 1.5-2 hour lift.

I actually have about two pounds of waxy maize lying around that I completely forgot about so I think I'm going to go with that for a bit. Going to try each person's recommendation for a week or two and see how I feel on each one.

Was actually up at 5 because I kept waking up at every hour cursing out how I had to get up at 6 and I couldn't fall back asleep. Probably the earliest I've been up in 2 years.  :o

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
If your going to train right after u wake up, 1 scoop of whey isolate and a piece of fruit will do u just fine to get u through your workout.

Then after that drink your pwo shake and eat as u regularly would during the remainder of the day

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:32:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. Morning's pretty much the only time I can lift for the next month or two. I can thank my school for having two weight rooms that have a limit of 60 people for a campus of roughly 20,000+ (which says a lot about how many people don't exercise), and with all the New Years resolutioners all over the place, trying to get in there after 10 am turns into an 1.5-2 hour lift.

I sympathize, man. Ohio State has 4 rec weight rooms, and 56,000 students! That's why I go early or not at all!

I actually have about two pounds of waxy maize lying around that I completely forgot about so I think I'm going to go with that for a bit. Going to try each person's recommendation for a week or two and see how I feel on each one.

I had a pound once. God, it was awful! I've just been sticking to bananas (and other fruit) post-workout.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22:46 AM »

Was actually up at 5 because I kept waking up at every hour cursing out how I had to get up at 6 and I couldn't fall back asleep. Probably the earliest I've been up in 2 years.  :o

So I'm assuming the football team has its own gym.