Author Topic: Obama's illegal war  (Read 67397 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Obama's illegal war
« Reply #850 on: August 03, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

It's amazing this disgrace is not getting more coverage. 

Of course not. The MSM loves when liberals satiate their blood-lust.

Meanwhile, Syria just rolled tanks right into the heart of Hama and have been shelling homes around the clock for the last week now. But rest assured, the UN security council finally agreed to condemn them. How fucking sad.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #851 on: August 03, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
Of course not. The MSM loves when liberals satiate their blood-lust.

Meanwhile, Syria just rolled tanks right into the heart of Hama and have been shelling homes around the clock for the last week now. But rest assured, the UN security council finally agreed to condemn them. How fucking sad.

Total bloodbath over there. I guess the State Dept. Is waiting for "the reformer" Assad to come through.   Lmao. 

Meanwhile , did you see who is now heading OPEC? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #852 on: August 03, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Total bloodbath over there. I guess the State Dept. Is waiting for "the reformer" Assad to come through.   Lmao. 

Meanwhile , did you see who is now heading OPEC? 

Haha, a member of Iran's Revolutionary Guard. Things keep looking up!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #853 on: August 03, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
U.S. hands over Libyan Embassy to rebel movement, official says
cnn.com ^ | August 4, 2011 | Elise Labott
Posted on August 3, 2011 11:24:35 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. State Department has signed an order handing over the Libyan Embassy in Washington to the Transitional National Council, a senior department official told CNN.

The official said move would allow the Libyan rebel movement to reopen the embassy, accredit diplomats and regain control of the embassy's frozen bank account, worth about $13 million.

It follows a formal request from the TNC to reopen the embassy under its control and accredit Ali Aujali, the former Libyan ambassador to the United States, as its ambassador.

In March, the State Department ordered the embassy closed and expelled diplomats loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. Aujali had resigned his post as the regime's ambassador to the United States in February and has since represented the opposition in Washington.

The United States on July 15 recognized the rebel movement based in Benghazi as Libya's rightful government.

(Excerpt) Read more at edition.cnn.com ...

Do we laugh, cry, scream, or just wince? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #854 on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »
What a fucking cluster.

The US should be ashamed of itself.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #855 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
Obama said this was a "non-kinetic" military operation.  Sounds like he misled the public (again). 

"A U.S. Predator drone was involved in the airstrike on Muammar Qaddafi's convoy Thursday in the moments before his death, a U.S. defense official told Fox News."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/20/obama-qaddafi-death-ends-long-and-painful-chapter-in-libya/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #856 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
lol @ fcking bitching about obama firing a missile at Kadaffi.

the level of pussified belief from repubs disgusts me.

if this was a brave president mccain shooting missiles at the terrorist kadaffi, you'd be jacking off in the streets.  But since it's a lib president, suddenly it takes too long, and "oh, he said non-kinetic, but I think this is technically kinetic..."

Obama killed the bad guy.  Get over it. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

if this was a brave president mccain shooting missiles at the terrorist kadaffi, you'd be jacking off in the streets.  But since it's a lib president, suddenly it takes too long, and "oh, he said non-kinetic, but I think this is technically kinetic..."

AGREED

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #858 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »

Obama didn't do shit.......a Bush era predator drone ..firing a Bush era hellfire....provided by a Bush era military that Obama was dead set against killed this idiot. All because Obama didn't to look like a pussy. He took the easy way out...and we still don't have a real reason for the libyan action. Was this guy ever a target of Obama...he shook his friggen hand at the UN.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #859 on: October 20, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
Obama didn't do shit.......a Bush era predator drone ..firing a Bush era hellfire....provided by a Bush era military that Obama was dead set against killed this idiot. All because Obama didn't to look like a pussy. He took the easy way out...and we still don't have a real reason for the libyan action. Was this guy ever a target of Obama...he shook his friggen hand at the UN.

:)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #860 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »

WOW....this is the most delusional post I have seen this year..EPIC SPIN......he was a genius in this matter in that he deposed Ghadafi like he promised he would without a single American soldier being lost....

why even post here if you are going to write idiotic stuff like that?

Senator John McCain commenting on CNN: "the administration deserves a lot of credit..the world is better off without Ghadafi"

I think he knows more than you do

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #861 on: October 20, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
Would the close air support provided by our AF or the skilled use of the drones be possible without 10 years of combat in Iraq. This type of warfare with limited assets on the ground is very difficult. Much like the op against Osama...all can be tied to Bush, right or wrong. Atleast Barry was fully justified in killing that asshole. Epic spin...look at Barry's congressional record...voted against Iraq...no Iraq..no close air support expertise...no experienced JSOC forward air controlers directing drones and airstrikes..no Barry victory lap. But idiot...u have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.
L

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #862 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
Would the close air support provided by our AF or the skilled use of the drones be possible without 10 years of combat in Iraq. This type of warfare with limited assets on the ground is very difficult. Much like the op against Osama...all can be tied to Bush, right or wrong. Atleast Barry was fully justified in killing that asshole. Epic spin...look at Barry's congressional record...voted against Iraq...no Iraq..no close air support expertise...no experienced JSOC forward air controlers directing drones and airstrikes..no Barry victory lap. But idiot...u have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Obama used what was at his disposal......as all presidents do......EPIC SOUR GRAPES..you are embarrassing yourself the longer you talk about this....just disappear from the thread..I am destroying you :-*

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #863 on: October 20, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

Good points.  He also opposed the surge, then refused to admit he was wrong about the surge.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #864 on: October 20, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

unless the guy controlling that predator called crawford, TX for the order to shoot today - it's 3 years too late to give bush credit for this ;)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #865 on: October 20, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
I'm not crediting Bush...but Barry doesn;t get shit either because I'm still searching for a reason. Anybody paying any attention to LIbya before 48hrs ago...anybody? Further..anybody see Hils reaction...if Bush or Cheney had that reaction..the media would have had a coronary.
L

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #866 on: October 20, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
I'm not crediting Bush...but Barry doesn;t get shit either because I'm still searching for a reason. Anybody paying any attention to LIbya before 48hrs ago...anybody? Further..anybody see Hils reaction...if Bush or Cheney had that reaction..the media would have had a coronary.

nit-picking due to being made a fool of...sorry

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #867 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »

which 'commander in chief' initiated this action?  Obama.
which 'commander in chief' took criticism for it?  Obama.
Which 'commander in chief' controls the military doing all the bombing? Obama.
Which 'commander in chief' woudl have been ridiculed MERCILESSLY, if a pic of kadaffi drinking daquiris in south america would have emerged?  Obama.

Who deserves the credit when a US plane is ordered to shoot that entourage, and rebels are led to clean up the mess?

It's obama.  Sorry, but he got shit on every inch of the way.  He got a bad guy.  just give him credit.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #868 on: October 20, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »
which 'commander in chief' initiated this action?  Obama.
which 'commander in chief' took criticism for it?  Obama.
Which 'commander in chief' controls the military doing all the bombing? Obama.
Which 'commander in chief' woudl have been ridiculed MERCILESSLY, if a pic of kadaffi drinking daquiris in south america would have emerged?  Obama.

Who deserves the credit when a US plane is ordered to shoot that entourage, and rebels are led to clean up the mess?

It's obama.  Sorry, but he got shit on every inch of the way.  He got a bad guy.  just give him credit.

good post....you get right t the heart of the matter

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #869 on: October 20, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
Oddly...the epic screw ups of this guy go unmentioned and ultimately defended by u bots. No good will come of this. There is no history of this working. Dictators replaced by...a power vacuums in that part of the world, generally don't end well for this country. Bush fucked that up in Iraq..and we had dudes there with no good plan. We're not there and there is no plan. Explain to me how this works out in the end. He had his lap..now he owns it. Plus with Libya..there's oil. Its waaaay to early. We sat on the airport in Bagdad thinking things would be over and we'd be headed home...yeah.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #870 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
Oddly...the epic screw ups of this guy go unmentioned and ultimately defended by u bots.

obama has fucked up more than he's done right.  no doubt about it.  we can list those if you'd like.  Tell me the 10 biggest mistakes you think he's made, and I bet i agree with 8 of them.  Obama sucks.  I'll say it ;)

but he did get some shit right - this was one of those things.  imagine kadaffi in powerr today... 1 million of his people slaughtered.... families impaled on the streets, all on youtube.  His smug ass grinning the whole time.  I'm happy that the US spent 2 billion - and actually saved a shitload of innocent lives.  ANd if we got to punish a guy who blew up a plane full of americans - i'm cool with that too!

I jsut give the guy credit when he deserves it.  I give repubs los of credit for their actions too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #871 on: October 27, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE          www.nationalreview.com           PRINT

ANDREW C. McCARTHY
ARCHIVE    |    LOG IN
OCTOBER 27, 2011 4:00 A.M.
Our Libyan Adventure
Qaddafi’s dictatorship was preferable to an Islamist Libya.

‘Are you suggesting that we would be better off with the Qaddafi dictatorship still in effect?” asked Chris Wallace, browbeating presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.

And why shouldn’t he? After all, the Fox News anchor had just gotten Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Sen. Lindsey Graham to perform the requisite “Arab Spring” cartwheels over the demise of Libyan strongman Moammar Qaddafi. Apparently, when leading from behind ends up leading to a vicious murder at the hands of a wild-eyed mob, even folks who once got the sniffles over fastidiously non-lethal waterboarding can feel good about pulling out their party hats.

Imagine, then, the gall of Bachmann. The Minnesota Republican persisted in finding the cankers on the Arab Spring smiley face.

The most obviously ugly of these is that a throng of seething Islamists stripped, beat, paraded, and finally shot Qaddafi execution-style, all the while screaming the signature “Allahu Akbar!” battle cry with a fervor that would have made Mohamed Atta blush. They then shoved the despot’s corpse into a refrigerator — to maintain it for further triumphant display before thousands of gawking spectators. Too bad there was no official from the Obama administration’s Islamic Thought Police on hand to remind the mob of the Koran’s oft-quoted (but oftener ignored) teaching that to slay a single person is to slay all of mankind.

The murder was facilitated by NATO forces operating under false pretenses: Claiming they were merely protecting civilians, they set about hunting down Qaddafi, only to help usher in a new era of Islamist governance. The bill for NATO’s services was willfully footed by the Obama administration — which had previously funded the Libyan regime on the oft-repeated grounds that Qaddafi was a valuable counterterrorism ally, but which then initiated a war against Qaddafi in the absence of any provocation or American national-security interests. NATO’s war of aggression is already inuring to the benefit of America’s Islamist enemies. What’s not to celebrate?

Though Representative Bachmann made the case gamely, she eventually withered. Mr. Wallace has previously intimated that she is a “flake” (Wallace’s word), too often out of step with Beltway wisdom. And who wouldn’t want to be in step with Hillary Clinton, Lindsey Graham, and Barack Obama? Washington wisdom is fickle — one day you’re a Qaddafi booster, the next day you’re switching your bets to the Muslim Brotherhood. But no one wants to be a flake. So Bachmann finally got with the program and admitted, “The world certainly is better off without Qaddafi. I agree with Lindsey Graham.”

I don’t. Yes, Qaddafi was a creep. If we lived in a static, zero-sum world where the killing of a single creep equaled a net decrease in global creepiness, that might be cause for cartwheels. But the world is dynamic. When one leader is ousted, another takes his place. Even if the leader happened to be a tyrant with a yellowing résumé of anti-American terrorism, it matters what his status is when the Arab Spring comes a-callin’. It matters who replaces him and how that transition comes to pass. The changing threat environment matters. The example we set, what it tells others about our principles, matters.

To borrow Mr. Wallace’s phrase, I am not “suggesting that we would be better off with the Qaddafi dictatorship still in effect.” I am saying it outright. If the choice is between an emerging Islamist regime and a Qaddafi dictatorship that cooperates with the United States against Islamists, then I’ll take Qaddafi. If the choice is between tolerating the Qaddafi dictatorship and disgracing ourselves by lying about the reason for initiating a war and by turning a blind eye to the atrocities of our new Islamist friends — even as we pontificate about the responsibility to protect civilians — then give me the Qaddafi dictatorship every time.

Just to review what happened here: Qaddafi was not merely ousted. He was not “brought to justice,” as our government likes to put it when, say, the president of Iraq is captured and handed over to a foregone conclusion of a death-penalty tribunal; or when the emir of al-Qaeda gets the swifter due process of a ruthlessly efficient military strike. Those sorts of killings represent transparent wartime combat: The president makes the case that American national security is imperiled, Congress authorizes military attacks, and our armed forces violently subdue the enemy. It is not pretty, but it is honorable.

That cannot be said about Libya. In “leading from behind,” our government went rogue — to the evident satisfaction of the formerly antiwar Left. Obama claimed to be keeping the peace and protecting civilians while waging an unauthorized offensive war against Qaddafi’s government — a regime with which the United States was at peace; a regime with which the United States had made a great show of arriving at friendly relations; a regime to which the United States (urged on by such official emissaries as Sen. Lindsey Graham) had provided foreign aid, including assistance to prop up Qaddafi’s military; a regime to which the Obama administration, including Secretary Clinton’s State Department, had stepped up American taxpayer subsidies — including aid to Qaddafi’s military and contributions to charitable enterprises managed by Qaddafi’s children.

Protecting civilians? Please. We jumped in as a partisan on the side of the Islamists, who sported violent jihadists in their ranks and among their commanders — including al-Qaeda operatives whose dossiers included a stint at Guantanamo Bay and the recruitment of jihadists to fight a terror war against American troops in Iraq. While NATO targeted Qaddafi, the rebels rounded up black Africans, savagely killing many. (See, e.g., John Rosenthal’s reporting on summary executions, lynching, and a beheading — but be forewarned that the accompanying images are deeply disturbing.)

When the Islamists finally began seizing territory, which they could not have done without NATO, they raided weapons depots. In Qaddafi’s Libya, his regime controlled the materiel; once the “rebels” swept in, weapons started going out — to other Islamists, like al-Qaeda in Northwest Africa and Hamas in Gaza.

And now that the Islamists have won, the first order of business, naturally, was to install sharia — Islam’s politico-legal framework that oppresses non-Muslims, women, homosexuals, and apostates. To install sharia, by the way, is the reason jihadists engage in violence — it is the prerequisite for Islamizing a society. On Sunday, before a crowd still giddy over Qaddafi’s murder, Transitional National Council leader Mustafa Abdul-Jalil proclaimed, “This revolution was looked after by Allah to achieve victory.” Allah will thus be honored, he elaborated, by making sharia the “basic source” of Libyan law. Polygamy for men has already been reestablished, and lenders have been banned from collecting interest on loans. Happy democracy!

Qaddafi had last attacked the United States almost a quarter-century ago. Before that, he’d endured punishing retaliation for his Reagan-era terror attacks. The Bush 43 administration had declared these hostilities settled. The two governments resolved outstanding claims — much to the chagrin of those of us outraged by the moral equivalence drawn between Qaddafi’s terrorist aggression and President Reagan’s righteous response.

But a deal is a deal — as the Left is quick to remind us whenever the U.S. makes international agreements that end up disserving American interests. In this instance, we were told the deal had been a good one. Qaddafi abandoned his advanced weapons programs and began providing what the Bush and Obama administrations regarded as vital intelligence — vital, no doubt, because Libya is rife with Islamists who despise America and the West. Indeed, on a per capita basis, more Libyans traveled to Iraq to join in the jihad against American troops than nationals from any other country. Our government even took Libya off the list of state sponsors of terrorism because, as the State Department put it in 2008, Libya had become “an increasingly valuable partner against terrorism.”

In the last several years, the Libyan regime never even threatened, much less attacked, American interests. Qaddafi spoke glowingly of Bush Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and of President Obama, the Bush and Obama administrations embraced him and supported his regime. There was nothing close to a casus belli for the United States to launch a war against his government. The rationalization about the regime attacking civilians is nonsense: Qaddafi never stopped repressing Libyans in the years we were allied with him, and our aid to him only increased; Libya is a brutal society in which Qaddafi’s demise will not stop the internecine savagery; and we don’t intervene when hostile governments in Iran, Syria, China, Russia, and elsewhere repress their citizens.

Yet, President Obama invaded without congressional authorization — just consultations with the Arab League and a Security Council resolution that called for a no-fly zone to protect civilians, not for war against Qaddafi or regime change. Even as Obama paid lip-service to this charade, promising Americans there would be no U.S. “boots on the ground,” he dispatched covert intelligence operatives to guide the Islamists. Senator Graham — Qaddafi’s tent guest and military-aid supporter in 2009 — wondered aloud why we couldn’t just “drop a bomb on” our erstwhile ally and “end this thing.” No congressional approval? No U.N. mandate? No problem. “I like coalitions,” Graham explained to CNN, “it’s good to have the U.N. involved. But the goal is to get rid of Qaddafi. . . . I would not let the U.N. mandate stop what is the right thing to do.”

The right thing to do? So hot was the senator to off the dictator that he even proposed that the president unilaterally declare Qaddafi as an enemy combatant so we could kill him without violating a longstanding executive order prohibiting the assassination of foreign leaders. That might have been a swell idea but for the inconvenience that Qaddafi did not qualify as an “enemy” or a “combatant” under the governing statute — a law that happens to have been written by Senator Graham. Of course, if there had been a case that Qaddafi’s regime had become America’s enemy and that war was needed to overthrow him, the administration could have made it to Congress. The president never even tried — such an argument would have been frivolous.

That is not to say the administration was above frivolous legal claims. President Obama overruled administration lawyers who ever so gently pointed out that his sustained war-making ran afoul of the War Powers Act — a suspect piece of legislation, but one the administration was loath to ignore given Obama’s support of it (at least until he became the president whose hands it tied). Not to worry: Obama reached outside his Justice Department to find his trusty State Department counsel Harold Koh — the former Yale Law School dean, War Powers Act enthusiast, and incessant critic of the cowboy militarism of George W. Bush (you may recall Bush as the president who used to get Congress’s blessing before attacking other countries). Presto: Koh rationalized that invading Libya, dropping bombs on it, and trying to kill its leader didn’t quite rise to the level of “hostilities” — suddenly, a very elusive concept. Party on, dudes!

Qaddafi’s escape from his last holdout was thus cut off by NATO airstrikes. Trapped and hidden in a sewer, he was dragged out and brutalized — not for intelligence, but for sport. There is video here if you can stomach it. What NATO abetted was not a military capture. It was an assassination. We will be worse off that it happened. And the way it happened should sicken us.

— Andrew C. McCarthy, a senior fellow at the National Review Institute, is the author, most recently, of The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #872 on: February 17, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
A “New Chapter” In Libya Spells Disaster…Torture, Violence & Mayhem
Flopping Aces ^ | 02-16-12 | Curt

Libyan militia members man a checkpoint in the capital, Tripoli
Guess no one saw this coming eh?

Armed militias in Libya are committing human rights abuses with impunity, threatening to destabilize the country and hindering its efforts to rebuild, Amnesty International said Thursday.
Militias have tortured detainees, targeted migrants and displaced entire communities in revenge attacks, according to a report the organization released a year after the start of popular uprisings that eventually ended Moammar Gadhafi's 42-year rule.

"Hundreds of armed militias, widely hailed in Libya as heroes for their role in toppling the former regime, are largely out of control," the report says. Detainees at 10 facilities used by militia in central and western Libya told representatives from Amnesty International this year that they had been tortured or abused. Several detainees said they confessed to crimes they had not committed in order to stop the torture, Amnesty International said.

At least 12 detainees held by militias have died after being tortured since September, the human rights organization said, adding that authorities have not effectively investigated the torture allegations.

Well almost-no-one.

Thank you Arab Spring.

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss:

A terrified Libyan man is beaten and tortured with electric shocks by youths who appear to be former revolutionary fighters.
(Excerpt) Read more at floppingaces.net...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #873 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »
Obama has done more to create havens for anti-American Muslims in the middle than any of the terrorist groups could have ever dreamed of.
Obama is single handedly helping to unite the middle east into a extremist muslim order. Lol.

Epic fail on his part.

Almost forgot about how Egypt is now demanding that we continue to give them money or theyll attack Israel.

Its official; the United States are now the Muslim Brotherhoods bitch.

Good Job on your foreign policy Barack, bang up job.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #874 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Back to ArticleClick to PrintFriday, Feb. 17, 2012
Why Libya Is Becoming More Dangerous After Gaddafi's Fall
By Vivienne Walt

As Libya marks the first anniversary of its revolution on Friday, the dozens of well-armed militia groups operating across the vast country have slipped well out of the control of the nascent government in Tripoli, making the country ever more fractured as well as dangerous to ordinary Libyans attempting to adjust to the end of Muammar Gaddafi's 41-year dictatorship.

That assessment came on Thursday from Amnesty International, whose latest research on the country documents at least 12 Libyans who have died in militia custody since September, allegedly after being beaten, suspended upside down and given electric shocks. In a chilling 38-page report published on the eve of the anniversary, Amnesty describes a wave of terror and widespread abuse by militia groups, whose members in recent months have dragged hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Libyans from their homes or from roadside checkpoints into makeshift jails on suspicion of being Gaddafi sympathizers or having fought alongside the regime's forces during the civil war.

(PHOTOS: Libya's New Regime: The Fight for Gaddafi's Hometown)

Libya should be preparing for wild celebrations on the anniversary of the revolution, which saw scrappy fighters crush one of the world's longest-serving regimes in just eight months, after drawing NATO allies into the sole Western military intervention of the Arab Spring. The revolution erupted Feb. 17, 2011, when hundreds of protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi stormed into the streets demanding the end of Gaddafi's rule — an extraordinarily brave act at the time. The demonstrations spread rapidly, engulfing eastern Libya within weeks, then catapulting the country into all-out civil war once NATO began its bombing campaign in mid-March. The revolution ended in the stunning collapse of the dictatorship in August.

But this Feb. 17 is likely to be a far less joyous milestone. Last week, Gaddafi's son Saadi announced from his exile in neighboring guy that a pro-Gaddafi insurgency was readying itself for battle across Libya. And militia groups, many of which led the rebel forces during the war, have now settled into semipermanent power arrangements in areas across the country, with no signs of disarming. The National Transitional Council (NTC), the administration in Tripoli, has set several deadlines for the groups to give up their weapons and join a national army, all of which have gone unheeded. Instead, says the Amnesty report, the groups operate independent of authorities in Tripoli — including inside the capital itself — with little fear of prosecution. "After the great wave of hysteria last year of mass detentions, there is now a more pernicious hunting down of people," Donatella Rovera, senior crisis-response adviser for Amnesty in London, tells TIME.

(VIDEO: Libya to Citizens: Give Up Your Guns)

Over the past two months, Rovera visited numerous detention facilities controlled by militia groups, interviewing detainees in Arabic, alone in closed rooms. She says that since she was often given little time to talk to them, detainees ripped off their shirts the moment the door was closed, eager to show her bruises and cuts from interrogations. After presenting the evidence to NTC officials in Tripoli, she says she came to believe that the council lacked both the willingness and the capability to wrest control from armed groups — perhaps because the task could require a major confrontation at a time when officials are attempting to stabilize the battered economy and prepare the country for June elections. Rovera believes the delay has only worsened the situation. "The lack of political will has contributed to making the militias more and more powerful, and more and more difficult to control," she says.

The report outlines the grim detentions in fairly close detail, adding to mounting evidence of abuse. In December, the International Committee of the Red Cross said it had visited about 8,500 prisoners in 60 detention facilities over the previous year. And in late January, Doctors Without Borders shut its clinic in Misratah after its staff treated 14 torture victims who had been taken to an interrogation center nearby. The group said the militia in charge of the prison refused to allow 13 of the prisoners to be given further medical treatment and then took them back to the interrogation center.

(PHOTOS: Libya Celebrates Liberation)

The most chilling details in Amnesty's new report involve those whose detentions ended in death. One of those was Fakhri al-Hudairi al-Amari, a police officer from the Tripoli suburb of Tajura. Al-Amari, a 31-year-old with two children, was hauled from his home with his four brothers by a group of armed men last October, days before Gaddafi was killed in Sirt. The brothers were detained in Tajura, and all except al-Amari were soon released. More than a month after al-Amari's arrest, the staff at Tripoli's Abu Salim Hospital phoned family members to say he had been admitted with severe injuries; he died later that day. The hospital's postmortem exam found two missing fingernails, marks from electric shocks, burn marks on his forehead, arm and wrist, and bruises across his body.

Despite several such cases, Amnesty says no prosecutions have taken place and high-profile reports of killings — including, for example, the deaths of some 65 apparent Gaddafi supporters in Sirt immediately after Gaddafi's death — have not resulted in any arrests. In several places, Amnesty was told that investigations were being done by ad hoc "judicial committees," whose members told the organization "that they had to take on the task of prosecutors because the judicial system was not working."

(READ: Libya's Army Tries to Reassert Itself as Militias Have Their Way)

That raises the question about how Libya's most high-profile detainee — Gaddafi's powerful son Saif al-Islam — may be tried. Although the International Criminal Court (ICC) has indicted Saif for crimes against humanity, Libyan officials say they do not intend to transfer him to the Hague, where the ICC is based. Under the rules of the ICC, Libya would need to petition the court to try Saif inside Libya by arguing that the country is capable of giving him a fair, thorough trial. On Jan. 23, Libya's new Justice Minister, Ali Humaida Ashour, told reporters that Saif would be "held in Libya under Libyan law," prompting the ICC to issue a statement saying that no decision had yet been made about where the country's most famous prisoner would ultimately be tried.

PHOTOS: Vast Weapons Stockpile Found in Libyan Desert

MORE: In Libya, a Fundamentalist War Against Moderate Islam Takes Shape

Click to PrintFind this article at:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2107024,00.html