Author Topic: Supreme Court Justices  (Read 3962 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Supreme Court Justices
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:31:05 AM »

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Supreme Court Justices
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:33:04 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »
Clarence Thomas is the man. Best man in the Supreme Court... till we get Andrew Napolitano or Kevin Gutzman in the Court.  8)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
Clarence Thomas is the man. Best man in the Supreme Court... till we get Andrew Napolitano or Kevin Gutzman in the Court.  8)

That video of him was good.    Solid man.   

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
Sad that the black community prefers to vilify Thomas when they should be looking up to him as a role model.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
never knew this - after a justice retires they still have to sit on an appellate bench. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »

"A Supreme Court Justice is a judge who solves arguments by giving his or her opinion."

ERRRR wrong answer! A Supreme Court Justice is supposed to enforce the highest law of the land, the Constitution!!

Regardless, gotta love the youtube comments from all of the law students with too much time on their hands:

"Did the bear file for cert? I don't think so."

"Bear vs. Locks: A person or party may be afforded the right to trespass within private property, and while in said private property, the trespasser's legal obligation to duty of care is waived under the condition that said trespasser is reasonably able to provide manual labor as full compensation for negligent injuries or property damages in which the trespasser is directly or indirectly at fault."

"I'm waiting to hear her explain why Elmo can get a white muppet's job with an inferior test score, provided disparate impact can be proven."

"In a landmark ruling, the Supreme Court ruled 1-0 that young muppet girls may come into other muppet bears homes uninvited and sit on and break furniture, provided that they have the glue to fix them. The other 8 justices excused themselves from the ruling due to a conflict of interest. "

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
"A Supreme Court Justice is a judge who solves arguments by giving his or her opinion."

ERRRR wrong answer! A Supreme Court Justice is supposed to enforce the highest law of the land, the Constitution!!

Regardless, gotta love the youtube comments from all of the law students with too much time on their hands:

"Did the bear file for cert? I don't think so."

"Bear vs. Locks: A person or party may be afforded the right to trespass within private property, and while in said private property, the trespasser's legal obligation to duty of care is waived under the condition that said trespasser is reasonably able to provide manual labor as full compensation for negligent injuries or property damages in which the trespasser is directly or indirectly at fault."

"I'm waiting to hear her explain why Elmo can get a white muppet's job with an inferior test score, provided disparate impact can be proven."

"In a landmark ruling, the Supreme Court ruled 1-0 that young muppet girls may come into other muppet bears homes uninvited and sit on and break furniture, provided that they have the glue to fix them. The other 8 justices excused themselves from the ruling due to a conflict of interest. "

I think she might vote against the mandate.   Im predicting 6-3 against the mandate - 6-3 leaving the rest. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »
Bump.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »
Just a little FYI on our boy Clarence...

http://www.politicolnews.com/clarence-thomas-monsanto-lawyer-conflict-of-interest/

Clarence Thomas-Monsanto Lawyer-Conflict of Interest
Posted on May 21, 2011 by politicol   

May 21, 2011   Clarence Thomas a former Monsanto lawyer did not recuse himself from a pending Supreme Court case against his former boss Monsanto. Clarence Thomas has close ties to Monsanto’s interests and worked for the corporation as it’s legal counsel for three years, prior to his becoming a Supreme Court judge, yet he refuses to recuse himself on cases involving Monsanto patents and this is in direct violation of federal judicial laws.

The case involving Monsanto- v. Geetson Seed Farms and Thomas should be removing himself from the bench due to conflict of interest.  The Supreme Court has favored corporations becoming human beings last year which allows more campaign donations to politicians for favorable legislation.

If this judge, Clarence Thomas who has been ridiculed for sexual assaults on women himself in the Anita Hill testimony during his confirmation by George Bush.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
Kagan also had ethical issues.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »
Kagan also had ethical issues.

what's up with him?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
Good thread.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »
Just a little FYI on our boy Clarence...

http://www.politicolnews.com/clarence-thomas-monsanto-lawyer-conflict-of-interest/

Posted on May 21, 2011 by politicol   

May 21, 2011   Clarence Thomas a former Monsanto lawyer did not recuse himself from a pending Supreme Court case against his former boss Monsanto. Clarence Thomas has close ties to Monsanto’s interests and worked for the corporation as it’s legal counsel for three years, prior to his becoming a Supreme Court judge, yet he refuses to recuse himself on cases involving Monsanto patents and this is in direct violation of federal judicial laws.

The case involving Monsanto- v. Geetson Seed Farms and Thomas should be removing himself from the bench due to conflict of interest.  The Supreme Court has favored corporations becoming human beings last year which allows more campaign donations to politicians for favorable legislation.

If this judge, Clarence Thomas who has been ridiculed for sexual assaults on women himself in the Anita Hill testimony during his confirmation by George Bush.

That was 33 years ago.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »
That was 33 years ago.

How long has he been a Justice?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
How long has he been a Justice?

Twenty-one years (1991).

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:43 AM »

Oh come on... it's Sesame Street - a kids show, targetting kids who don't know what the Constitution is and, at an age where they not only don't care to know but would probably not quite understand anyways.

Besides, what she said is accurate from a somewhat high-level view: Justices do give their opinions (i.e. their interpretation of applicable laws and the Constitution) on the cases that come before them. The Constitution doesn't magically have all the answers already written for every case that will ever come before the Court. It provides some answers and a framework to use in finding the rest. Sometimes finding those answers is easy and sometimes it's hard. But almost always it boils down to the opinions of the Justices and the debates they have behind closed doors. Coincidentally, I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall of that conference room!

I'll also point out that you are, flat out wrong about something. The Supreme Court doesn't enforce anything. In fact it can't enforce anything (President Jackson has been quoted as having said: "[Chief Justice] Marshall made his decision so now let him enforce it!" although I believe the quote is disputed) and relies on respect for the Constitution and the institution of the Court. If you think they have some enforcement mechanism at their disposal, I would love to hear what you think that is, and where it is authorized in the Constitution.

Clarence Thomas is the man. Best man in the Supreme Court... till we get Andrew Napolitano or Kevin Gutzman in the Court.  8)

I like Thomas - more so because he doesn't question lawyers during oral arguments, but actually listens instead. I don't always agree with him, although I find his opinions to be both well written and carefully reasoned, but I certainly respect him as a Justice.

Napolitano? Really? You want Andrew Napolitano on the Supreme Court?

I kinda like Kozinski, although he can be a bit too liberal for my liking at times. But, frankly, anyone that closes an opinion with “[t]he parties are advised to chill.” deserves to be a Supreme! ;D

By the way, anyone betting on a 7-2 verdict? I heard a Law Prof. earlier today at my University arguing that (he said Scalia & Thomas would dissent, which is kind of a foregone conclusion really!). I was not convinced, but it got me thinking. If we get a 7-2 (either way) that would be quite something...

I'm not advocating for a living Constitution or any particular legal theory on how it should be interpreted. Just stating a fact.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
Great interview on CNN right now w Scalia.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
till we get Andrew Napolitano

Is there really a chance of this?

That would be spectacular!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »
Is there really a chance of this?

That would be spectacular!!

judge Napolitano would be my pick 1 - 100 for SC.