Author Topic: Sumo VS Conventional DL  (Read 1434 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Sumo VS Conventional DL
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:53:57 AM »
SO I recently got back into using Sumo DL's to change things up. I hadn't used these in a couple years. My question for people is which one are you stronger in? I thought Sumo was so much easier before and now I lift about 150lbs less than the conventional version.

Anyone experience this?

Where is the weakness in this case? Hips? Its not my hams because I Stiff Leg DL about the same as conventional (maybe 50lbs less?).

My good morning weight and Sumo DL are pretty close to the same.

Any advice would help, thanks!

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
Re: Sumo VS Conventional DL
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:52:47 PM »
never tried sumo uncomfortable to me, my deadlift feet shoulder with one overhand, one underhand grip is whatt i always do. alos some rack deads from time to time. at 495 for a single at a btw of 194 right now for the dead cant wait to hit 500 for 2-3. hopefully 4-5 months.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:07:43 PM »
Nice lift @ 194lbs! You should hit 500 x 3 in no time. 495lbs is exciting when you get there cuz you finally get to bend the bar, haha!

Good luck with 500lbs! 8)

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:17:01 PM »
thanxs, well im only doing it for 1 good rep and man sometimes i think im gonna shit myself and my shins get rubed raw but it feel good to get it up. im really not that strong tho. i use straps on that lift. i max out at 4 plates without straps i just cant hold on

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
I had/have a problem with grip versus weight lifted also. I was having a hard time so I started to rely on straps for a while. They didnt hurt but didnt help (my grip). I started doing static holds and sacrificed at least one set of deads to losing my grip. Didnt take too long to get by that point but my grip seems to always be lagging behind a little. Try to lift at least one set of deads without your straps on heavy days. Hold the heaviest DB's in your gym for as long as you can for three sets twice a week. Or use a barbell.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »
ok ill def try that i was also gonna add farmer walks with dumbells at the end of my back workout to work the grip and traps as well

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
SO I recently got back into using Sumo DL's to change things up. I hadn't used these in a couple years. My question for people is which one are you stronger in? I thought Sumo was so much easier before and now I lift about 150lbs less than the conventional version.

Anyone experience this?

Where is the weakness in this case? Hips? Its not my hams because I Stiff Leg DL about the same as conventional (maybe 50lbs less?).

My good morning weight and Sumo DL are pretty close to the same.

Any advice would help, thanks!

conventional DL's are much better for building size anyway because the ROM is much greater and you're pulling the bar twice as far, stick to the conventionals.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:00:05 PM »
conventional DL's are much better for building size anyway because the ROM is much greater and you're pulling the bar twice as far, stick to the conventionals.
I am using them to PL. Just as an alternate exercise. Do you lift more or less with Sumo's, SF? Do you know where the weak link is? Just curious.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »
I am using them to PL. Just as an alternate exercise. Do you lift more or less with Sumo's, SF? Do you know where the weak link is? Just curious.
i've always done conventional because it felt like the best for me, i used to train with a bunch of good pl'ers and the only two who pulled sumo were short, compact guys, one dude was an APF world champion at 165 who pulled almost 700 sumo, he was around 5'3" or so, another guy was around 5'6" 195-200 and he pulled in the mid 600's sumo in his 40's, sumo just never felt comfortable for me, you have to be very strong through your inner thighs, hips and hamstrings.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
if you're trying to increase your conventional DL i'd focus on the stiff's and DL's standing on a block, front squats and good mornings are also great but sumos don't have much carry over, if you're going to do sumos work on your hip, adductor and hamstring flexibility.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »
I only throw them in for 2-4 workouts every 2 months or so. I stick mainly to rack deads, platform DL's (stiff and conv.), and conventional. I  have always made decent gains this way. Just curious about others experiences.

Thanks for the feedback! 8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
I only throw them in for 2-4 workouts every 2 months or so. I stick mainly to rack deads, platform DL's (stiff and conv.), and conventional. I  have always made decent gains this way. Just curious about others experiences.

Thanks for the feedback! 8)
yeah like i said the only reason to even do sumos IMO is if you pull that way in meets

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 02:43:00 AM »
yeah like i said the only reason to even do sumos IMO is if you pull that way in meets

Agree.

And even if you use sumo when competing, I think most of your off-season deadlifting should be conventional, and perhaps 4-6 weeks out of a meet start to implement the sumo, then 3 weeks out only do sumo deadlifts.

Only a rule of thumb of course, but conventionals train the back better, and you will train the legs plenty when squatting.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise