Author Topic: Warrior and Attitude Era  (Read 15148 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Warrior and Attitude Era
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »

The feuds, yes. Their build-ups lasted for months - some of them even close to year. But, once they had their big match...POOF!! It was all over. There was never any "part 2."
Think Piper, Bundy, Killer Kahn, One Man Gang, and the guys you mentioned above; with the exception of Andre, Hogan seldom worked another program with any of them. That's why the Hogan character wore out. After he did his paradigmatic mow-down, they had to bring in someone new to feed him, or at least build up someone to pose a threat.
The act got tired, fans saw through it, and that's why Hogan tanked in WCW until they re-invented his character.

Part of the reason it go tired was Hogan's ever-shrinking physique at the time. You can't pull off the superhero gig with Hogan looking like (relatively speaking) a crackhead.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
It was very harsh and unfair I think. Sure he did some shitty things like holding WWF to ransom for half a million and thinking it was a one man show but he also did some positive things. He did get over big time - he was arguably the biggest star of the 80's/early 90's wrestling boom after Hogan and Macho Man. Those three entered mainstream popular culture - most newspapers worldwide have commented on Warriors death in the last few days.

For WWE to release a DVD burying him completely, which they have never done to anybody else, at a stage when he was gone from the business for years, was wrong. Many have done far worse to WWF and Vince personally but never got that treatment.

The three guys that gored him the most were "Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, and Bruce Prichard (aka "Brother Love"). Dibiase was the only one I saw at the HOF ceremony (Warrior acknowledged him by name and gave him props).

To be somewhat fair, Warrior had been bashing WWE and certain wrestlers there for years on the web. I guess WWE felt it was payback time.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
Good question.
In my estimation, I would say no; simply because every member of the WWF roster made adjustments to their work during the "Attitude" transition. Hellwig, however, refused to ever evolve his character and/or as a performer.

I suspect that the above fact, coupled with his stubbornness and lack of professionalism, would have quickly relegated him to an expendable asset in the Fed. I honestly believe that he eventually would have wound up in WCW in the exact role and capacity he did in '98.

Prick.

Again, that's assuming there even would have been an Attitude era. Warrior was part of the mass exodus of the a Hogan-era/New Generation guys. The lawsuit over the rights to the Warrior name is probably why he didn't go to WCW sooner. And Bischoff didn't have Warrior alter his character much when he arrived in '98.

If McMahon could have built more "New Generation" guys off a Warrior and still competed with WCW, I don't think he goes the 'Attitude' route.