Author Topic: Are Christians ALLOWED to be happy?  (Read 6514 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Are Christians ALLOWED to be happy?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 01:14:31 PM »

It's more important to get the dirt out of the carpet with a good cleaner. Steam cleaning, which is misnamed since they use "hot water" and not steam, can do worse than you think. Here's why:

1. If you already have a lot of dirt in your carpet and mix dirt with water you make...mud. Which is much harder to suck out of the carpet than "dry dirt".

2. Practically all carpeting has padding under it. Where the carpet may feel dry on top, the padding could still be damp and wet. Damp, wet and warm conditions harbor mold and mildew. That's why some carpets smell bad even after cleaning.

3. Normally you'll remove all furniture since you don't want water "stuck" under legs, tables or cabinets since it may ruin the wood or finish.

Getting the dirt out solves the main issue. For stains, I would recommend Chem Dry or any "dry cleaning" agent. Kirby vacuums have attachments that "dry" clean carpets too. Here's a link:

&feature=related

That small tank will do that whole room. So usually the carpet dries in about an hour or less.

I looked up Chem Dry and see you can get some product at Home Depot but the site isn't that great on showing what it is.  Is it like a dry powder that you shake on and vacuum up or is Chem Dry a Service you have to call and have people come to your home?

That Kirby cleaner looked pretty good to me!  Do you have the dry clean attachment?  What was he doing when he would been down and turn/push? something everytime he changed direction from backward to forward?

Oldschool, if you want me to I can split this topic and move our vacuum posts to General or I guess we could PM ;D
R

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
I looked up Chem Dry and see you can get some product at Home Depot but the site isn't that great on showing what it is.  Is it like a dry powder that you shake on and vacuum up or is Chem Dry a Service you have to call and have people come to your home?

That Kirby cleaner looked pretty good to me!  Do you have the dry clean attachment?  What was he doing when he would been down and turn/push? something everytime he changed direction from backward to forward?

Oldschool, if you want me to I can split this topic and move our vacuum posts to General or I guess we could PM ;D
Yeah I have the whole shebang! Haven't paid for carpet cleaning at all since I've rented or owned a home. First you apply the "dry foam" to the carpet, let it sit for about 10 minutes then go back over the area, sans releasing any more foam, and the brushes scrub the surface area of the carpet. You can clean one room in about 20-30 minutes without having to move all your furniture out since it's usually clean under furniture.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2008, 05:27:37 AM »
 ;D

Unhappy people watch more TV: study

Tue Nov 18, 2008

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – An extensive new research study has found that unhappy people watch more TV while those consider themselves happy spend more time reading and socializing.

The University of Maryland analyzed 34 years of data collected from more than 45,000 participants and found that watching TV might make you feel good in the short term but is more likely to lead to overall unhappiness.

"The pattern for daily TV use is particularly dramatic, with 'not happy' people estimating over 30 percent more TV hours per day than 'very happy' people," the study says. "Television viewing is a pleasurable enough activity with no lasting benefit, and it pushes aside time spent in other activities -- ones that might be less immediately pleasurable, but that would provide long-term benefits in one's condition. In other words, TV does cause people to be less happy."

The study, published in the December issue of Social Indicators Research, analyzed data from thousands of people who recorded their daily activities in diaries over the course of several decades. Researchers found that activities such as sex, reading and socializing correlated with the highest levels of overall happiness.

Watching TV, on the other hand, was the only activity that had a direct correlation with unhappiness.
"TV is not judgmental nor difficult, so people with few social skills or resources for other activities can engage in it," says the study. "Furthermore, chronic unhappiness can be socially and personally debilitating and can interfere with work and most social and personal activities, but even the unhappiest people can click a remote and be passively entertained by a TV. In other words, the causal order is reversed for people who watch television; unhappiness leads to television viewing."

Unhappily married couples also watch more TV: "(Happily married couples) engage in 30 percent more sex, and they attend religious services more and read newspapers on more days," reports the study. "While those not happy with their marriages watch more TV."

Yet there may be good news here for broadcasters. Commenting on the study, co-author John P. Robinson said the worsening economy could boost TV viewing.

"Through good and bad economic times, our diary studies, have consistently found that work is the major activity correlate of higher TV viewing hours," Robinson says. "As people have progressively more time on their hands, viewing hours increase."

Concludes the study: "These points have parallels with addiction; since addictive activities produce momentary pleasure but long-term misery and regret. People most vulnerable to addiction tend to be socially or personally disadvantaged, with TV becoming an opiate."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081118/en_nm/us_misery

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »
Unhappily married couples also watch more TV: "(Happily married couples) engage in 30 percent more sex, and they attend religious services more and read newspapers on more days," reports the study. "While those not happy with their marriages watch more TV."
I have lots of friends whom are married that don't attend religious services.I also have family and friends who attend religious service and are still unhappy. I believe more unhappy married couples are unhappy because of loss of connection to their spouse, rather than not attending a religious service.