Author Topic: American Muslims fear backlash...  (Read 1788 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
American Muslims fear backlash...
« on: November 07, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
Another attack leaves US Muslims fearing backlash
Texas Muslims Feel Fort Hood Shooting Backlash CBS 11 Dallas  Play Video Video:S. Fla. Muslims Want Peace After Ft. Hood Shooting CBS4 Miami By ERIC GORSKI, AP Religion Writer Eric Gorski, Ap Religion Writer – 28 mins ago

As word spread that a gunman had opened fire at Fort Hood leaving a trail of carnage, a chilling realization swept across the U.S. Muslim community: He has an Islamic name.

From a professor who just testified in Congress, to a White House adviser appearing before a Jewish group and a former Marine driving home from work, Muslims across the country were shocked, angry and afraid that the attack would erode efforts to erase anti-Islamic stereotypes.

Many Islamic leaders said the Fort Hood tragedy that left 13 dead and 30 wounded including the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, could likely pose the sternest test for U.S. Muslims since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"A lot of us work very hard for this country, to make America a better place," said Muqtedar Khan, a progressive Muslim scholar who has just given Congressional testimony on U.S. foreign policy in Afghanistan before Thursday's attack. "And this one nut like Maj. Hasan comes along and in one crazy episode of a few seconds he undermines these years and years of hard work we are doing to make American Muslims part of the mainstream in the community."

Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is a Muslim who attended his former mosque daily and had an "Allah is Love" bumper sticker on his car. Soldiers reported Friday that the shooter shouted "Allahu Akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — during the rampage.

Other troubling details also emerged, including reports that authorities suspect Hasan posted online messages about suicide bombers and violence, was struggling with a pending deployment to Afghanistan and was being harassed in the Army for being a Muslim.

While a motive remains unclear, the confirmation of Hasan's faith alone prompted major Muslim groups and mosques to issue statements condemning the killings as contrary to Islam and praising the service of the many Muslim Americans in the U.S. military.

Of immediate concern was security at mosques Friday, Islam's main day of communal prayer.

In Washington, Chicago and elsewhere, mosques asked police for extra patrols. In Garden Grove, Calif., officers stood watch outside a mosque as a precaution.

Muslim leaders warned people to be vigilant and avoid exposing themselves unnecessarily — including walking alone, said Hussam Ayloush, director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Southern California.

"This is one of those moments where we have to sit and pray that most Americans will come out stronger, more united, and more tolerant," said Ayloush, adding that Muslim organizations have received dozens of death threats and hate e-mail.

At the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring, Md., which Hasan attended before moving to Fort Hood, Imam Mohamed Abdullahi urged worshippers Friday to tell their non-Muslim neighbors that Islam was not responsible for the deaths. He also advised them to keep their tempers in check.

"Whenever we hear the name turns out to be Arabic or Muslim we feel a double shock" about such incidents. "And then we worry about backlash," said Imam Mostafa Al-Qazwini of the Islamic Educational Center of Orange County in Costa Mesa, Calif.

U.S. Rep. Andre Carson, an Indiana Democrat who is one of two Muslims serving in Congress, cautioned against focusing on the alleged shooter's religion and instead said the discussion should be about mental health issues.

"This is no way a reflection of Islam any more than Timothy McVeigh's actions are a reflection of Christianity," said Carson, who supervised an anti-terrorism unit in Indiana's Department of Homeland Security and comes from a family of Marines.
Eboo Patel, the executive director of Chicago-based Interfaith Youth Core, had just spoken at a Union of Reform Judaism conference in Toronto on Thursday night when a rabbi told him: "The guy had a Muslim name."

"I had just spoken from the tradition of Islam ... on the importance of interfaith cooperation and building Muslim-Jewish bridges," said Patel, who sits on a White House faith-based advisory board. "I wish that was viewed as reflective of Islam instead of a deranged lunatic who was acting only in the tradition of deranged lunacy, not in the tradition of any faith."

But other Muslims were weary of what has become a routine: a Muslim does something unspeakable, and Islamic organizations issue statements condemning it.

"Truth be told, we're getting a little exhausted because we've done this to death," said Robert Salaam of Maryland, a former Marine who converted to Islam shortly after the 9-11 attacks and now blogs and hosts a radio show on Muslim affairs. "We're apologizing for people we don't know."
Still, driving home from work listening to the news Thursday, Salaam thought: "God, I hope it's not a Muslim."

____

Associated Press writers David Dishneau in Silver Spring, Md.; Amy Taxin in Tustin, Calif.; Sophia Tareen in Chicago; Jeff Karoub in Detroit; and Peter Prengaman in Atlanta contributed to this report.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: American Muslims fear backlash...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »

"This is no way a reflection of Islam any more than Timothy McVeigh's actions are a reflection of Christianity,"

This bears repeating!!!  Get a little perspective folks, ...the view is much clearer that way.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Islam sucks ass worse than Christianity.  Does that mean some guy who maybe hasn't done anything should be the target of a retaliation?  hell no.  I thought thats what Obama meant by asking people not to jump to conclusions but popular opinion on this board seems to be kill em all and deport the sleeper cell in the white house so I'll just stay the fuck out of it I guess.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »
This bears repeating!!!  Get a little perspective folks, ...the view is much clearer that way.

Show me where McVeighs are doing similar acts every week. 

John Mohammed - 13 dead
9/11
WTC 93'
Almost daily marketplace bombings in Pakistan and Iraq
Suicide bombimgs in Israel
Sirhan Sirhan
Richard Reid
The Fort Dix gang
Tonowanda NY cell
Theo Van Gogh

Please lets have this discussion Jag so I can expose your sick mental disorder for what it is.  you are deranged and blind tot he reality of that which you knee pad for.   

McVeigh did not commit his crim in the name of Christianity.  However, these muslim savages cite the Koran as their inspiration for these barbaric crimes.  If you cant diferentiate the two, that is your mental problem, not mine.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
There are plenty of examples on this board of why law abiding muslims might be worried

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »

McVeigh did not commit his crim in the name of Christianity.
 However, these muslim savages cite the Koran as their inspiration for these barbaric crimes.  If you cant diferentiate the two, that is your mental problem, not mine.   

But the guy who killed Dr. Tiller certainly did. As does the guy from Westboro baptist who heaps tons of unecessary pain and grief on the already traumatized and bereaved families of America's war dead
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
But the guy who killed Dr. Tiller certainly did. As does the guy from Westboro baptist who heaps tons of unecessary pain and grief on the already traumatized and bereaved families of America's war dead

You cited McVeigh.  Dont change the subject. 

No one ever tries to run out to equivocate or run cover for Westboro as those are sick demented freaks.  as far as the Tille rthings goes, where where you whern the pro-life protester was murdered? 

ANSWER - SILENT.   

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
You cited McVeigh.  Dont change the subject. 

No one ever tries to run out to equivocate or run cover for Westboro as those are sick demented freaks.  as far as the Tille rthings goes, where where you whern the pro-life protester was murdered? 

ANSWER - SILENT.   

Wasn't even aware of it.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
Wasn't even aware of it.

No kidding, because those types of event dont register in your pre-conceived notions and biases. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
Jag is the defender of every murderous scumbag that comes along.
L

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 06:26:31 AM »

"A lot of us work very hard for this country, to make America a better place," said Muqtedar Khan

There you go. Even the 'moderates' want to change the country.

If the Muslims did a bit more to root out the 'bad apples', then perhaps the non-Muslims in the West would be better tolerated.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 07:41:16 AM »
There you go. Even the 'moderates' want to change the country.

If the Muslims did a bit more to root out the 'bad apples', then perhaps the non-Muslims in the West would be better tolerated.

No kidding. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 09:22:08 AM »
Islam sucks ass worse than Christianity.  Does that mean some guy who maybe hasn't done anything should be the target of a retaliation?  hell no.  I thought thats what Obama meant by asking people not to jump to conclusions but popular opinion on this board seems to be kill em all and deport the sleeper cell in the white house so I'll just stay the fuck out of it I guess.

most people only have seen or met this genere of idiot muslims....

there r millions of "turn the other cheek" and constantly praying for people trhey dont know, give to charity etc etc typa muslims..

some in my family
carpe` vaginum!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »

As long as they are not white, christian or male.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »
I highlighted the McVeigh quote because it is the ONLY example that is ever used when trying to pin modern violent acts on chrisitains.  Pathetic and tired.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
When is some guy going to kill like 15 muslims in somewhere public? It would be nice...
S

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
This bears repeating!!!  Get a little perspective folks, ...the view is much clearer that way.

Yes of course lets get some act that has nothing to do with Christianity and try to quantify it with another nutbag Muslim who kills a bunch of people ::) Political correctness will be the end of us
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
Yes of course lets get some act that has nothing to do with Christianity and try to quantify it with another nutbag Muslim who kills a bunch of people ::)
Political correctness will be the end of us

True fact!
S

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

I wasnt aware the Westboro Baptist Church killed people.So lets see,one guy who killed Tiller compared to thousands killed by Muslims.

PS-The guy who killed Tiller did so after Tiller murdered 60,000 kids.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
I wasnt aware the Westboro Baptist Church killed people.So lets see,one guy who killed Tiller compared to thousands killed by Muslims.

PS-The guy who killed Tiller did so after Tiller murdered 60,000 kids.

What about the murder of the pro-life advocate? 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
There has to be reason applied to every case.  There must be balance.  We must not punish or discriminate against law abiding peaceful muslims but we also must not ignore warning signs in an attempt to not offend a particular religion or peoples.  Looks like some warning signs were apparent but ignored in this case.

Peaceful muslims must come forth more and denounce the radicals who proclaim the islamic faith.  Right now, islamic extremists are committing a disproportionate amount of crimes/attacks in the name of religion, as we have seen with Christianity centuries ago.  An organized jihad that we are not seeing (currently) from other large religions.  We cannot escape this fact and cannot deny that this is going on increasingly in our own country.  To do so would be foolish.  Accept the facts and take reasonable precautions, particularly in our own military.

Another concern is the backwardness of the religion (which liberals would have a field day with), the non-assimilation and the attempts by some muslims to force change to the laws and customs where they migrate to.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
YES I DO!!!!Im 100% behind McCveigh!!!Any questions?

Billy,

Do you still feel this way?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

What murderous scumbag have I defended... other than Bush (and onlt sparingly)
Please, ...put down your crackpipe and slowly back way from your computer.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
What murderous scumbag have I defended... other than Bush (and onlt sparingly)
Please, ...put down your crackpipe and slowly back way from your computer.
what have you ever defended bush on jag? not trying to be condescending or an ass Im genuinely curious.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
what have you ever defended bush on jag? not trying to be condescending or an ass Im genuinely curious.

There have been a few times.

There was the Dubai Ports deal for which he was wrongfully criticized imo.
Then there was his decision to refuse Israels request to attack Iran. I thought that was a wise & prudent move on his part. I'd rather not re-iterate all the instances. I don't like being reminded of them. I can't stand that prick.  >:( {spit}
w