Author Topic: What is the point of lifting heavy if you are natural?  (Read 9747 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
What is the point of lifting heavy if you are natural?
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
After watching some of Layne Norton's videos on youtube, it's clear that you can become VERY strong without drugs and handle lot of weight also by using technique. but it doesn't seam to do much for a natural physique.

I feel that his heavy training are a wasted effort and run by emotions. Is it pure ego thing? I guess some need it as a challenge?

Impressive for power lifting but to building a lean good looking healthy physique I don't see a point to it. When you are truly natural there is a limit on what size you can put on while strength can go quite high.

Actually it can be quite damaging and deteriorate your body while not doing anything for your physique.

I think you have to be patient or tone it down like you are emotionally almost not there to be able to stick with it in the long run as a natural. Else you will give up because you don't get the size, start using various drugs/supplements or injure yourself and mess up joints etc.

I give respect to Layne Norton for what he has achieved on paper, hard work is always impressive. But i think bodybuilding should be done for your own sake and not to win power lifting or competitions because it often just messes you up in the end.

It can ruin your body and ruin your thinking for the rest of your life. Just something we should keep in mind. I feel many on getbig are some of the most sane people and also natural.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
Re: What is the point of lifting heavy if you are natural?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »
I love to lift heavy.

I love to train.

Strength is more important to me than mass.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »
I love to lift heavy.

I love to train.

But are you willing to risk injury to move those heavy weights? I'm willing to bet you are young. I started that way too. Always tried to increase strength, not muscle shape and health. Luckily I never got any bad injuries or tore anything, only minor temporary misshaps. Now I don't even use whey protein and doing better by learning what to eat for what works with my body. Before I wasn't really listening or thinking. Just doing it all out. Not good.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
I do agree great strength can be achieved naturally with incredible effort and years and years of consistency, but there is an ultimate size cap for each individual drug-free trainer.

I am a big guy (six feet, 270 pounds) but, after 24 years training, have strength beyond even what my size would indicate to someone with a fairly well-trained eye. Exceptional strength and power are the domain of quality hard-earned muscle and a prepared and developed nervous system. Add connective tissue / joint integrity and you have the ingredients for much poundage to me moved.  

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
I love to lift heavy.

I love to train.

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
I do agree great strength can be achieved naturally with incredible effort and years and years of consistency, but there is an ultimate size cap for each individual drug-free trainer.

I am a big guy (six feet, 270 pounds) but, after 24 years training, have strength beyond even what my size would indicate to someone withy a fairly trained eye. Exceptional strength and power are the domain of quality hard-earned muscle and a prepared and developed nervous system. Add connective tissue / joint integrity and you have the ingredients for much poundage to me moved.  

I see what you are saying, I feel that I don't have that in me to go that rout, I don't feel good at a heavy weight and i question my joints/tissue integrity as you called it from when I always tried to lift heavy, sometimes it felt quite risky and not good. I'm all about energy output, I like to exhaust my muscles/body with lighter weight and higher reps.

And it also comes to what genes you been given. I have always loved cardio and intencity.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
After watching some of Layne Norton's videos on youtube, it's clear that you can become VERY strong without drugs and handle lot of weight also by using technique. but it doesn't seam to do much for a natural physique.

genetics
genetics
genetics

I trained with a guy who only lifted in the 4-6 range, always heavy!  And he grew like a week, I had to question if he was on.  But i've also seen guys grow from the more comfortable, 10-12 rep range and grow just as well.

In this case, it looks like this guy is more cut out for weightlifting than bodybuilding  ;)

Rami, I definitely see your point and agree with you for many reasons  ;)
just not good enough

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
if you have to ask youll never know

Z

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
The question is also, how much smaller Lame would be if he lifted lighter?

WJ_Harley

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

I feel that his heavy training are a wasted effort and run by emotions. Is it pure ego thing? I guess some need it as a challenge?

Impressive for power lifting but to building a lean good looking healthy physique I don't see a point to it. When you are truly natural there is a limit on what size you can put on while strength can go quite high.

Actually it can be quite damaging and deteriorate your body while not doing anything for your physique.

I think you have to be patient or tone it down like you are emotionally almost not there to be able to stick with it in the long run as a natural. Else you will give up because you don't get the size, start using various drugs/supplements or injure yourself and mess up joints etc.

I give respect to Layne Norton for what he has achieved on paper, hard work is always impressive. But i think bodybuilding should be done for your own sake and not to win power lifting or competitions because it often just messes you up in the end.

It can ruin your body and ruin your thinking for the rest of your life. Just something we should keep in mind. I feel many on getbig are some of the most sane people and also natural.

another big talker with no picture posted.
c

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:08:14 PM »
but it doesn't seam to do much for a natural physique.

I think it's the opposite. Strength oriented training is probably the best type of training for someone in Layne's situation and someone with Layne's genetics.

If a natural trainee with average genetics wants to add muscle I would always recommend powerlifting.

Do you think Layne would have been just as muscular, or even more muscular, if he had slashed his poundages by 50%? I don't think so.

WJ_Harley

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
I think it's the opposite. Strength oriented training is probably the best type of training for someone in Layne's situation and someone with Layne's genetics.

If a natural trainee with average genetics wants to add muscle I would always recommend powerlifting.

Do you think Layne would have been just as muscular, or even more muscular, if he had slashed his poundages by 50%? I don't think so.
i agree, the stomping around and all the other antics are stupid but Layne is a strong guy and i'll gaurantee you that Rami is the type of little pussy who sees a guy like Layne in the gym and mutters shit under his breath and won't look him in the eye while he upright rows 35 pounds.
c

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
Heavy weight feels better, LOL!

Messed my back up on a bad deadlift and haven't returned to full strength but nothing else feels like finally getting a heavy weight back up or racking after a brutal squat. I don't even know why in the fvck guys would bother going to the gym to do flys with 15lb weights!! It looks lame and they'd grow more doing push-ups at home for free in those gay ass cut up t-shirts.

I nearly puked tuesday during the 5th set of deads and it felt great!!

Maybe I need help. :)

Dragon

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »

i agree too... almost all of my gains came from my first 2~3years of training... like a 'powerlifter'
only squats, deadlifts, benchs, etc
i'm training a 19year old kid(like a powerlifter), and he's been training only 5months now, and gains are incredible   
LOCAL GYM HERO

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »
if you have to ask youll never know

Quoted for truth.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »
Quoted for truth.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :)

markdavis

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
i lift like a sumbitch heavy good form how the fuck you gonna grow son when you dont hard lift as fuck

markdavis

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »
hell if you is one of them pussyboy on them stroids fuckit    you    dont have to work hard in theweight room if you earn you muther fuckn stripes bitch like a man and not a cheeter you better work you muthr fuckins ass off in teh weight room     ifyou cheet you dont work hard as fuck                      if you are natral you gotta be a mofo man and work hardi want rather work hard and nbe a man      godmamm where fuk is my jackdaniels

work hard and you dont have tw cheetr sumbitchss

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
i agree too... almost all of my gains came from my first 2~3years of training... like a 'powerlifter'
only squats, deadlifts, benchs, etc
i'm training a 19year old kid(like a powerlifter), and he's been training only 5months now, and gains are incredible   
The average getbigger thinks that they should be squatting, deadlifting & benching for their first 2-3 months training only.

By then they have their squat, dlift & bench techniques perfected after reverse engineering some daisy-duked photoshoot in Flex. And they wouldn't want their waists to get too big.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »

I feel that his heavy training are a wasted effort and run by emotions. Is it pure ego thing? I guess some need it as a challenge?Impressive for power lifting but to building a lean good looking healthy physique I don't see a point to it. When you are truly natural there is a limit on what size you can put on while strength can go quite high.

Whatever the case is, whether you're right or wrong, does it really matter?  Like you said, " think bodybuilding should be done for your own sake;" and this is the way he wants to go about it. 

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »

Lol, I love this video. I never tire of watching him stomping around the gym ...mumbling to himself.
'Rip it, com'on' ;D
O

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »

Word.

If you look at the the truly natural periods of weight lifting/body building(1870s-1940s), you'll see that most of the really big guys were constantly and consistant moving big weights.

The same logic holds true today.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
another big talker with no picture posted.

HAHA, like I need the drama...

WJ_Harley

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
HAHA, like I need the drama...
don't tell me you're a model and 6 percent bodyfat but you don't have a camera, right? ::)
c

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »
don't tell me you're a model and 6 percent bodyfat but you don't have a camera, right? ::)

No I'm not a model. 6 percent body fat, that is another question... I'm my leanest ever right now.

Like I said I spare myself the drama of putting pictures out for now. I don't think being lean is something to brag about anyway. The way I do it is huge amount of cardio.   I like to keep pressure off of me. That is how I always been. I know if I put pictures out, I'll always go back and want to best myself again and again, don't want to do that to myself. Maybe I'm taking it to serious, but I think it easy to slip in and get stuck in that mindset for me. Then I know it will stop being relaxed and fun and just become an obsession.