Author Topic: Parking Ticket - worth paying if they have wrong license number?  (Read 3772 times)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: Parking Ticket - worth paying if they have wrong license number?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
do NOT pay. deny the ticket in writing with an explanation before the due date of your denial rights pass.  if the ticket is issued with incorrect information anywhere on it, it's fallacious and nullified.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
dont pay shit!

they didnt get the plate right, theres no way to trace it back to u!

X2. Paying it would actually be fucking retarded when they have no way of ever tracking you down.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:44 PM »
That is incorrect.  When they really want to, they can trace the vehicle back to you based on relatively little information such as make, model, color, and three digits from your license plate.  Remember, all of this information is held in a database that can be searched with a simple keystroke.  Searching the database does not require an exact match, the same way searches on google or yahoo do not have to be spelled correctly.  A search for delinquent ticketed vehicles can allow for one two or even three wrong digits.

I’m all for getting out of tickets, but as described by the OP I would pay it.  They can certainly trace it back to him if they are inclined to do so, and by then the fine will have doubled or tripled!

If the meter maid got the plate wrong, who's to say see got the right car/color etc. The ticket would be thrown out.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
Dont pay it, atleast wait for the final notice to see if they have traced you, if not fuck it, they cant track you down, save the $40

Wingnut32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
If the meter maid got the plate wrong, who's to say see got the right car/color etc. The ticket would be thrown out.

+1

If she can't copy down seven (?) digits without screwing that up can she really be trusted to measure out 10' vs 15'?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Parking ticket!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
Even if the date is off the ticket is NOT valid.  Ignore it.  But, you better be sure it is not the right number.  Same thing with any moving violation.  If just one thign is wrong on the ticket it will get dismissed. 

Not true. Courts have ruled years ago that as long as the facts of the offense are correct, technicalities like wrong block number, etc etc will not get a ticket dismissed.

Now, if the parking ticket shows the wrong LP, I don't see how it gets tracked back to you. I've written a few parking tickets and we never recorded the VIN, just the LP so if it were wrong, there is no way to know later what it really was. The person who actually has that plate will probably have to prove it wasn't them.

On a side note.. they aren't douches, you should learn the rules of the road and abide by them. If it says 15', then why call them names if you parked within 10 ft?

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
That is incorrect.  When they really want to, they can trace the vehicle back to you based on relatively little information such as make, model, color, and three digits from your license plate.  Remember, all of this information is held in a database that can be searched with a simple keystroke.  Searching the database does not require an exact match, the same way searches on google or yahoo do not have to be spelled correctly.  A search for delinquent ticketed vehicles can allow for one two or even three wrong digits.

I’m all for getting out of tickets, but as described by the OP I would pay it.  They can certainly trace it back to him if they are inclined to do so, and by then the fine will have doubled or tripled!

This is pretty much true, but I would highly doubt anything would ever come of it. If you don't pay the ticket, the main issue is that you are creating a headache for the person who has the plate on the ticket, if it exists. They can probably run queries to determine what the true plate is, but why would they? It's just another case of someone not paying a ticket, which is common. They flag the plate number in the police database that your state police has, but that will probably be the end of it for you. They don't know they screwed up one digit. They could have screwed up the entire plate, 2 digits, the middle digit, etc. They could have screwed up the model, make, etc. What they have is a ticket with a plate that doesn't match the car, and they don't know what part of the ticket is wrong.

But whoever has the plate on the ticket may get hassled because they have a plate in a database that doesn't match the car.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
This is pretty much true, but I would highly doubt anything would ever come of it. If you don't pay the ticket, the main issue is that you are creating a headache for the person who has the plate on the ticket, if it exists. They can probably run queries to determine what the true plate is, but why would they? It's just another case of someone not paying a ticket, which is common. They flag the plate number in the police database that your state police has, but that will probably be the end of it for you. They don't know they screwed up one digit. They could have screwed up the entire plate, 2 digits, the middle digit, etc. They could have screwed up the model, make, etc. What they have is a ticket with a plate that doesn't match the car, and they don't know what part of the ticket is wrong.

But whoever has the plate on the ticket may get hassled because they have a plate in a database that doesn't match the car.

$imple: money.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
How can they "get me?"

they wrote down the wrong plate number.

there is no way they can find me and charge me.   

how can they possibly track me down?  i am readlly curious.   
Unless they have a lot of other info to verify who you are or the car, screw 'em.
When they track down the plate # and it comes up wrong, the meter maid is the one who is screwed not you.
I assume the only real verification is the lic plate # right?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
That is incorrect.  When they really want to, they can trace the vehicle back to you based on relatively little information such as make, model, color, and three digits from your license plate.  Remember, all of this information is held in a database that can be searched with a simple keystroke.  Searching the database does not require an exact match, the same way searches on google or yahoo do not have to be spelled correctly.  A search for delinquent ticketed vehicles can allow for one two or even three wrong digits.

I’m all for getting out of tickets, but as described by the OP I would pay it.  They can certainly trace it back to him if they are inclined to do so, and by then the fine will have doubled or tripled!

Ok its a parking ticket no one is tracing anything.

They fucked up, if u get a ticket and the officer makes a mistake it gets thrown out. Same thing with this.

I work in law enforcement, believe me i know about this kinda shit.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Ok its a parking ticket no one is tracing anything.

They fucked up, if u get a ticket and the officer makes a mistake it gets thrown out. Same thing with this.

I work in law enforcement, believe me i know about this kinda shit.

I guess it's different everywhere because where I work, material facts on the ticket make the case. If the officer circles PM instead of AM it doesnt matter, the question remains, did so and so run the stop sign at 5th and San Jacinto. If the officer writes down you live on Rutger Dr and you live on Rutger Cir, it doesn't matter, the ticket stands. But if the officer writes you were doing 65 mph in a 55mph zone and you show it really is a 65mph zone then that will get the ticket tossed. Mistakes that don't change the facts of the offense are irrelevant.

In regards to this ticket, they won't track him, they don't care that much. The owner of the vehicle that ticket indicates will get a notice. He will have to show he doesnt own that color and make vehicle and it will get tossed.

I can only speak for the courts in Texas and Oklahoma, but I doubt tickets get thrown out for clerical mistakes anywhere.     

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
From an article in MSN Money..

Myth
If the officer makes even a single mistake on your ticket, the case will be dropped

Guillot says:
A ticket should be seen as an accusatory instrument and a basis for prosecution that must be factually valid, says Matisyahu Wolfberg, an attorney and former police officer from Spring Valley, N.Y., who represents defendants in traffic cases. Clerical mistakes, such as a wrong number or wrong order of a person’s name, are usually overlooked. Material mistakes, like the identity of the driver, the direction of travel, the street where the citation occurred or the description of the vehicle, can usually help a driver win the case. “Any mistakes that involve who, where and how usually can be used to beat the case in a trial. If the description of the vehicle is inaccurate, the officer will usually lose,” says Wolfberg. He recalls one recent case in which the officer cited a white Mercedes when the defendant was actually driving a black Porsche.

My Take On This
Clerical errors occur quite often. This occurs more often with officers who write a larger amount of tickets. For instance, I write a lot of speeding tickets in a 45 mph zone and occasionally, I will work at 25 mph zone and write someone for 38 in a posted 45 zone. It’s only an error and judges will not throw out clerical errors. Most traffic units also have in car video which will clearly show that it is nothing more than a clerical error. In other words, quit digging!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
Not true. Courts have ruled years ago that as long as the facts of the offense are correct, technicalities like wrong block number, etc etc will not get a ticket dismissed.

Now, if the parking ticket shows the wrong LP, I don't see how it gets tracked back to you. I've written a few parking tickets and we never recorded the VIN, just the LP so if it were wrong, there is no way to know later what it really was. The person who actually has that plate will probably have to prove it wasn't them.

On a side note.. they aren't douches, you should learn the rules of the road and abide by them. If it says 15', then why call them names if you parked within 10 ft?
i've had tickets ruled null because of fallacious data

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
pay it!
w

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »
just ignore it like it never happened, if they actually have your right number you will get a letter in the mail asking for double the fine or some shit, just claim you someone took it off your car and never even saw any ticket. 
TEAM Nasser

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »

They aren't douches, Really? Meter maids sit and wait for meters to expire and write a ticket even if you are walking to your car and the meter expired just seconds before getting there. Its a game to them. I'd call that pretty douchie.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
They aren't douches, Really? Meter maids sit and wait for meters to expire and write a ticket even if you are walking to your car and the meter expired just seconds before getting there. Its a game to them. I'd call that pretty douchie.

I didin't realize we were allowing every concievable thing that meter maids do to be included in this one incident. In THIS case, they were doing their job. In this case, douche probably is overreacting to a mistake on someone elses part.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »

You might be right I don't know I haven't had a ticket since around 1980.  The last time I asked a question about a ticket was to my brother and that was around 1999 or so.  He retires this december with the CHP after 30 years.
No Worries 4 me

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
The ticket won't stand in court.  The meter maid's blunder has gotten you off the hook. 

Look into this matter a little and stop listening to the people in this thread. 

Technically, this ticket won't stand in court.  Can they make a big issue and search through a million databases to line up your vehicle with that ticket? Sure.  Will they do that? No.  Why?  It would cost them way more time and money than the stupid $40 you would ditch out otherwise.

"1"

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »
You might be right I don't know I haven't had a ticket since around 1980.  The last time I asked a question about a ticket was to my brother and that was around 1999 or so.  He retires this december with the CHP after 30 years.

He made it to the Island.. cool!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Throw the ticket away as if it blew off your car and see if it comes back to you.