Author Topic: Unemployed and desperate--with a pet  (Read 6801 times)

MadCroc29

• Getbig II
Re: Unemployed and desperate--with a pet
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
Bc dogs when leave you at your lowest...any1 that can just abandon their pet without finding them a proper home bc they fall on hard times doesn't even deserve the gift of their own life....I saved my two dogs after someone threw them on the side of the road bc they didn't know how hard they were to take care of....they were 10 weeks old!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
monsters >:(

E
E

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
When you're broke you need to have some kind of little things to make yourself happy.

when i lived in a trailer, it was getbig and taco bell that made me happy.

now that i live in a nice house, it's getbig and steak (and a plastic cup of wine) that make me happy.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »
about 6-9 months ago i was across the street from the big mongolian statue thing outside the san francisco capital building. some homeless dude around 20 walks up to me with a dog on a leash and told me he was selling weed for dog food. i thought the same thing as you. why the hell do you have a pet if you cant afford it?

Apparently we are freaks for seeing this as a problem.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

No one in their right mind ever considered tbumz a freak... :-X

And your douchebag-ness overwhelms all your freakish aspects.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »

Not a freak, perhaps. But you do seem to have a lack of understanding of human nature and needs.

There are three main types of pet owners. There are those who keep them as possessions (in which case it might be easier to get rid of them). There are those that have them for human comfort and think of them as they would humans/children. And then there are those who have them because they assist them in some way as with seeing eye dogs, other helper dogs and cats and working dogs as in police dogs, hunting dogs, truffle and drug sniffing dogs. Of course, these reasons are not finite, so there are various combinations explaining why folks keep and often love their pets.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread, but this is a subject very important to me.  If you are living on the public dollar(Krona, in my case), you cannot afford luxury.  As Bay said, whine all you want but if you're hurting for money, then something has to be done about it and that something cannot be the forcing of other people to pay for you or give you emotional support, especially when you are still leaking money for something not necessary to your survival-people can argue the definition of that all they want, but it's already been defined by nature-shelter, food...etc. Pets, entertainment, vacations...etc these are not among the list of essentials.  When you live on public dollar, you live cheap as hell. When you support yourself, you live like a king if you want.

It's one thing if you are hard up for dough and you are upset that you personally have to make some sacrifices...totally different if you are hard up for dough and make a plea for emotional or economic support for others when you are still living in a matter that isn't economically sustainable given your income/situation.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2011, 12:32:06 AM »
OR maybe your dogs are the only "ones" able to love someone like you ?
Blow me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »
Quote from: uberman on March 27, 2011, 02:51:37 PM

OR maybe your dogs are the only "ones" able to love someone like you ?

Blow me.

Actually, dogs are often a much better judge of character than people are. So if a dog loves you then all is good. Who needs people? They sometimes treat you like shit. A dog generally doesn't unless you are one.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:41 AM »
I love animals, esp. dogs, but could never put or rate them above people.
I honestly wouldn`t either,but I love my dogs as if they were my children.............I have no kids BTW.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »
Lately I have been seeing a lot of profiles (on TV, in newspapers, etc.) about people who are either unemployed and or struggling financially.  The profiles always paint the person as a victim of unfortunate circumstances.  Many are living paycheck to paycheck, drawing on a meager savings account, or depending on friends or family to help them make it from month to month.  Just as I start to feel sorry for them I read that the person—who may not know where their next meal is coming from—has a pet.  Often it is a dog, and I find myself thinking, "why does this person have a pet if they are so hard up?"  I like pets as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can afford to have a pet or doesn't have the sense to part with the animal if they are not in a position to afford one. >:(

Discuss.

No matter how shit someone's life is..... they can feel a whole lot better for not being a homo.
P

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2011, 05:25:04 AM »
And what became of your lamb, Clarice?

Chill out, Dr. Lecter.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread, but this is a subject very important to me.  If you are living on the public dollar(Krona, in my case), you cannot afford luxury.  As Bay said, whine all you want but if you're hurting for money, then something has to be done about it and that something cannot be the forcing of other people to pay for you or give you emotional support, especially when you are still leaking money for something not necessary to your survival-people can argue the definition of that all they want, but it's already been defined by nature-shelter, food...etc. Pets, entertainment, vacations...etc these are not among the list of essentials.  When you live on public dollar, you live cheap as hell. When you support yourself, you live like a king if you want.

It's one thing if you are hard up for dough and you are upset that you personally have to make some sacrifices...totally different if you are hard up for dough and make a plea for emotional or economic support for others when you are still living in a matter that isn't economically sustainable given your income/situation.

Thank you.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
Oh you're such a Blue Meanie, Bay!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »

George Orwell, who knew a bit about privation, from Wigan Pier:

"The basis of their [working poor] diet is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes — an appalling diet. Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread, or if they… ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is, no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita buiscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t."

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »

Basically, what you've said here is correct. If one is living off others, as one does when they receive public assistance, they should stick to the necessities in life. Unfortunately, many folks appear to think they are entitled to more than that, which is really annoying to me as a hardworking taxpayer. However, when it comes to keeping a pet, such as a dog, this isn't always a "luxury." As I mentioned, there are those who have helper dogs, for example.

In the U.S., if you are legally blind, you probably qualify for SSD (Social Security Disability). This doesn't mean you have to apply for it or that you couldn't be otherwise employed. However, some people who are blind have seeing eye dogs to help them through daily life. Sometimes these helper dogs are provided through some manner of public assistance. While a seeing eye dog no doubt betters a sightless person's existence, it isn't a luxury.

When a person receives public assistance in the form of, say, food stamps, these do not pay for anything but food and definitely not for pet food. I've seen homeless folks who beg at freeway on and off ramps with their pet dog sitting beside them. If one chooses to give them money, it is a gift or a donation if you will. Once you give someone something, it is theirs to use as they will. Therefore, if they spend it on dog or cat food for their pet, you really have nothing to say about this. Your option was not to give them money in the first place.

Beggars are sometimes crafty folks. I've seen sorry looking fathers and sometimes mothers standing by the roadside and holding cardboard signs stating they are homeless, cold and hungry while their children sit beside them. You see people feeling sorry for them and handing them money out their car windows. I don't. I am a suspicious person. I tend to think there is more to the "story" then they are letting on. I do feel bad for the kids though.

If my grown children fell on hard times, I would help them out until they got back on their feet. There is no way I'd let my daughter or son stand by the roadside with my grandchildren begging for handouts. In my opinion, this is what families should do. However, it sometimes seems like no one, not even ones own family is willing to make a sacrifice....I digress though.

As a reference, I have had a dog and sometimes a couple of dogs my entire life. When I was a kid, they helped teach me responsibility since they are completely dependant on their owners for survival, love and compassion. Both as a kid and as an adult, they have brought me enormous comfort and pleasure. Fortunately, I have always been in a financial position to take proper care of my pets. My son and his family have a cat. My daughter and her family have a dog, who is presently living with my wife and me. This is because, my son-in-law is stationed at Fort Bliss in TX and the vet advised against them moving him there for health reasons. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
Lately I have been seeing a lot of profiles (on TV, in newspapers, etc.) about people who are either unemployed and or struggling financially.  The profiles always paint the person as a victim of unfortunate circumstances.  Many are living paycheck to paycheck, drawing on a meager savings account, or depending on friends or family to help them make it from month to month.  Just as I start to feel sorry for them I read that the person—who may not know where their next meal is coming from—has a pet.  Often it is a dog, and I find myself thinking, "why does this person have a pet if they are so hard up?"  I like pets as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can afford to have a pet or doesn't have the sense to part with the animal if they are not in a position to afford one. >:(

Discuss.

do you own a dog?

E
E

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
Hey bay, what would you do a day without cock? Think about that.