Author Topic: Unemployed and desperate--with a pet  (Read 6791 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Unemployed and desperate--with a pet
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »
Lately I have been seeing a lot of profiles (on TV, in newspapers, etc.) about people who are either unemployed and or struggling financially.  The profiles always paint the person as a victim of unfortunate circumstances.  Many are living paycheck to paycheck, drawing on a meager savings account, or depending on friends or family to help them make it from month to month.  Just as I start to feel sorry for them I read that the person—who may not know where their next meal is coming from—has a pet.  Often it is a dog, and I find myself thinking, "why does this person have a pet if they are so hard up?"  I like pets as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can afford to have a pet or doesn't have the sense to part with the animal if they are not in a position to afford one. >:(

Discuss.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
Re: Unemployed and desperate--with a pet
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Pets don't cost much money. A pet to most white people is a best friend or child. Of course they aren't going to get rid of it because they're broke. My dog costs maybe 25 bucks a month in food. I take her to the vet once a year, which costs maybe 100 bucks for her shots. I spoil my dog with treats and just bought her a 100 dollar bed but that stuff's not needed necessarily. Table scraps are better treats anyhow.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
usually, the poorer a person is, the more pets they have.

people in trailers will have like 2 indoor cats, and 5 outdoor animals the feed, ranging from cats to ducks.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I think having a pet is the only thing that can help someone make it through some tough times.  I would probably feed my pets before myself or at least cut down my intake.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
 :)
a

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
Pets don't cost much money. A pet to most white people is a best friend or child. Of course they aren't going to get rid of it because they're broke. My dog costs maybe 25 bucks a month in food. I take her to the vet once a year, which costs maybe 100 bucks for her shots. I spoil my dog with treats and just bought her a 100 dollar bed but that stuff's not needed necessarily. Table scraps are better treats anyhow.  :)

If you can afford it, wonderful!  More power to you, but why appear in whiny articles about how broke and desperate you are if you can afford a pet?  Most people—especially people who do not have pets—see them as a luxury.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »
Lately I have been seeing a lot of profiles (on TV, in newspapers, etc.) about people who are either unemployed and or struggling financially.  The profiles always paint the person as a victim of unfortunate circumstances.  Many are living paycheck to paycheck, drawing on a meager savings account, or depending on friends or family to help them make it from month to month.  Just as I start to feel sorry for them I read that the person—who may not know where their next meal is coming from—has a pet.  Often it is a dog, and I find myself thinking, "why does this person have a pet if they are so hard up?"  I like pets as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can afford to have a pet or doesn't have the sense to part with the animal if they are not in a position to afford one. >:(

Discuss.

You say you like pets as much as the next guy, but I doubt it. In fact, I'd bet you don't have a pet.

Many people love their dogs and/or cats as much as they would children. If one loses their job and falls on hard times, I ask you, would they give their children up for adoption?

We have two dogs, they bring such joy into our lives....plus they fill a void. My wife and I are empty nesters. Fortunately, we can afford to spoil Lucy and Danny rotten and they love it. Heck, I think they have more toys then our kids did when they were young.

I'll give you this, if one takes good care of their pets, it does cost a bit of money.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
If you can afford it, wonderful!  More power to you, but why appear in whiny articles about how broke and desperate you are if you can afford a pet?  Most people—especially people who do not have pets—see them as a luxury.

Most people would rather their Animal/s eat then themselves. True story.  :-\ Hell, my dog has her own couch and own love seat.  :) The more i think about, if i lost job, 401k, savings,..etc I would rather my dog eat then most of my family. 8) I mean, my dog has been to South Carolina, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, West Virginia, Ohio, (Fucking shit hole) and i have treated her better then most members of my family. My dog is like a child to me.  ;)
D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
If you can afford it, wonderful!  More power to you, but why appear in whiny articles about how broke and desperate you are if you can afford a pet?  Most people—especially people who do not have pets—see them as a luxury.

I'll remember not to "appear in whiny articles" should I ever go broke and still have my two babies.

Personally, I think when the media does a story about someone suffering misfortune, like unemployment, many of us have a tendency to distance ourselves from them and perhaps find reasons to discount their problems, as if to say that would never be me! -Truth be told, "there but for the grace of God, go I." Like it or not, deny it or not, it is the truth.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Lately I have been wondering what happened to me in my childhood to make me such a gigantic, unmitigated and pompous douchebag in middle age. >:(

Discuss.

Excellent question, BayGBM. I think some other getbiggers have been wondering the same thing about you.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »

Discuss.
You forgot to add "homosexual" and "cock". So it goes like this. "Unemployed, homosexual and desperate for the cock--with a pet", cant get any worse than that imo.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
usually, the poorer a person is, the more pets they have.

people in trailers will have like 2 indoor cats, and 5 outdoor animals the feed, ranging from cats to ducks.
Pet hoarders are diff. In Howard Co, MD, there was a DOCTOR who had about 200 cats---most of them were dead and sticking to the floor. The house smelled of ammonia...she drove a mid 80's Maserati Bi turbo. She was the most innocent Lil old lady....

But, yeah, people who have pets and are broke, need to get rid of them as they are a added responsibility and financial burden (read luxury). Seems said people don't want to be lonely, and are selfish---which could be the reason why they are in the financial red as it is...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »

But, yeah, people who have pets and are broke, need to get rid of them as they are a added responsibility and financial burden (read luxury). Seems said people don't want to be lonely, and are selfish---which could be the reason why they are in the financial red as it is...

Cold! You do not have pets, right?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
Cold! You do not have pets, right?
Nope, but I appreciate pets....I had fish  ;D
I wanted a  boa---but, if you get snakes, one has to be prepared to have cooter walk out the door...
I like animals, but if you can't afford it, or you go homeless, then you need to get rid of the pet...people need to learn that you can't always have what you want, but you can have what you need, and nobody really needs a "pet" when they can't afford to pay their own bills. Priorities. I'm willing to bet, that many of these same people, were always given stuff when they were kids, and expect the same type of entitlement when they are adults---they deserve to keep or have everything that they want...Nope, sorry, it's what got you in the mess that you are in.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
some people just abandon their pets in the woods when they fall on hard times so some people see things your way, bay ::)

E
E

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:40:54 PM »
some people just abandon their pets in the woods when they fall on hard times so some people see things your way, bay ::)

E

Those people should be shot!  >:( >:(
D

Naggash

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »
What a fuckin load of crap.

As if you'd give up something that close to you due to financial hardship.

I'd rather fuckin miss a few meals a day than get rid of my dog.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »

you, you sound like a good person. I have a friend girl who has three dogs and is loosing her job and house, but will not give up her four dogs.  8)
D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »
you, you sound like a good person. I have a friend girl who has three dogs and is loosing her job and house, but will not give up her four dogs.  8)
I think it's selfish...give them to a shelter--or ask some kids to take care of them, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who'd want a dog for free...

Yes, you give up the things that are close to you, during financial hardship---it's called sacrifice. It's a selfish move to keep things or animals, just because you don't want to be lonely...why should they suffer because you are...."Come on Tory, we're gonna sort this out, TOGETHER."

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
I think it's selfish...give them to a shelter--or ask some kids to take care of them, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who'd want a dog for free...Yes, you give up the things that are close to you, during financial hardship---it's called sacrifice. It's a selfish move to keep things or animals, just because you don't want to be lonely...why should they suffer because you are...."Come on Tory, we're gonna sort this out, TOGETHER."

so if you have a wife and she loses her job or better yet....you lose yours and then she says listen I can't afford to keep feeding you so get the fuck out and go to a shelter...you would be cool with that huh?  I would be willing to bet your logic would be out the window at that point.

Naggash

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
I think it's selfish...give them to a shelter--or ask some kids to take care of them, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who'd want a dog for free...Yes, you give up the things that are close to you, during financial hardship---it's called sacrifice. It's a selfish move to keep things or animals, just because you don't want to be lonely...why should they suffer because you are...."Come on Tory, we're gonna sort this out, TOGETHER."

How would the pet suffer exactly? It doesn't need material garbage to sustain it and doesn't have a lavish lifestyle to maintain.

Basic food, protection from worms and fleas, and its owner love will suffice. I'll never not be able to provide those things.

I'd make a big list of other things I could do without before I got rid of a pet.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »

Discuss.

Sexual Orientation of Peace....  ::)

Xerxes

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
Funny, I am walking my sisters dog as I read this thread on my Iphone

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:49 AM »
I saw a couple on TV who were on social benefit or how do you say that in English.
They were complaining about the money they got each month.
They were disgustingly fat, had 4 large dogs and both smoked heavily.

Now explain this to someone in Africa with hunger oedema....

Naggash

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 01:34:45 AM »
I saw a couple on TV who were on social benefit or how do you say that in English.
They were complaining about the money they got each month.
They were disgustingly fat, had 4 large dogs and both smoked heavily.

Now explain this to someone in Africa with hunger oedema....

Speaks volumes about the ability of Europeans to create great civilizations when useless fucks like that can still live relatively comfortably and not starve.