Author Topic: Obama to VETO Bill Allowing 9/11 Victim Families to Sue  (Read 7689 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Obama to VETO Bill Allowing 9/11 Victim Families to Sue
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
House OKs bill allowing 9/11 victim families to sue Saudi Arabia for role in attacks, but Obama likely to veto

The House, with the 15th anniversary of 9/11 looming, approved legislation Friday permitting victims’ families to sue Saudi Arabia over the terrorist attack.

Passage of the bipartisan legislation will likely prove a pyrrhic victory as the White House has already indicated President Obama will veto the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA).

But the House vote voice, coming four months after the Senate’s approval, was at the least a symbolic triumph for relatives of the nearly 3,000 people killed on Sept. 11, 2001.

“It's gratifying to see that when something is overwhelmingly in the interests of the American people, bipartisan action can happen,” said Jerry S. Goldman, attorney for several 9/11 families.

“The unity Americans felt in the days after 9/11 lives on in a determination to hold whoever was complicit in attacks on U.S. soil accountable, as existing law provides and as JASTA clarifies.”

Fifteen of the 19 terrorists involved in the 9/11 terror attacks were Saudi nationals.

The legislation would permit the family members to file suit against the Saudi government for any possible role that its officials played in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

“I hope for the sake of the families who have suffered such losses and fought so hard, the Administration will not veto this bill,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.).

“I'm pleased the House has taken this huge step forward towards justice for the families of the victims of 9/11,” he added. “There are always diplomatic considerations that get in the way of justice, but if a court proves the Saudis were complicit in 9/11, they should be held accountable.”

A vote of two-thirds in both the House and the Senate is necessary to override Obama’s veto.

Obama speaks with smiling Arab.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama to VETO Bill Allowing 9/11 Victim Families to Sue
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »
No conspiracy at all, folks.  Nothing to see here.  Go play on snapchat.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »
(Published Wednesday.  Written by Terry Strada, widow of Thomas Strada, who was killed in the World Trade Center on 911.)

After 15 years of enduring the gut-wrenching heartache from my husband’s murder — along with the murder of nearly 3,000 other innocent souls — we can all now feel a glimmer of hope after learning just before the 15th anniversary of 9/11 that Congress may finally pass a bill that could give me, my children and all other 9/11 families and survivors some chance at accountability for the terror attacks.

For me and our children, this fight is personal. I lost my husband and our three children lost their father. I promised them that I would never stop fighting for justice — not just against the hijackers but those who helped them.

As former co-chair of the 9/11 Congressional Inquiry, former Sen. Bob Graham always reminds us, we know that the 19 hijackers who barely spoke English could not come here and rent cars and apartments for two years; attend flight school; purchase first class airfare to scout out the flights and then later to execute the attacks; without assistance.

We family members and survivors have waited for almost 15 years to stand in a courtroom and hear and see the evidence collected against those that made 9/11 possible. One of the last steps to make that possible is a bill to be voted on Friday in the U.S. House, the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, which the Senate passed unanimously in May.

That would give us a pathway to accountability. The bill has been navigated through the House by Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) and in the Senate by Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and John Cornyn (R-Texas).

JASTA merely restores a long-established principle of American law that foreign governments do not have immunity for their role in supporting terror attacks on U.S. soil.

That common sense principle was entrenched in our approach to sovereign immunity for nearly 40 years, until recent court decisions introduced confusion. As recently as 2005, in joint court filing by the U.S. Departments of State and Justice, the government stressed that no foreign government would enjoy immunity for its role in the 9/11 attacks.

JASTA does not determine whether the accused foreign state is actually responsible. It just wouldn’t get a free pass on accountability.

Under existing law, a foreign state alleged to be responsible for a car wreck has no free pass and must “face the music.” The same should be so for terror attacks. It is the right thing.

This week, my husband will have been gone 15 years. This week, the House has the opportunity to vote “Yes” on JASTA and “Yes” for terrorism accountability.

It would be a heart-wrenching insult for members of Congress to proclaim “Never Forget” at memorials this Sunday on the 15th anniversary without having passed JASTA. Please show that you stand on our side, the side of American citizens, and do not yield to pressure from powerful foreign influences looking to escape accountability. It’s past time to pass JASTA.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:18:26 PM »
No conspiracy at all, folks.  Nothing to see here.  Go play on snapchat.

x2  The media had better not give that fucker a pass on this one.  No legit excuse for what he plans to do.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »
House OKs bill allowing 9/11 victim families to sue Saudi Arabia for role in attacks, but Obama likely to veto

The House, with the 15th anniversary of 9/11 looming, approved legislation Friday permitting victims’ families to sue Saudi Arabia over the terrorist attack.

Passage of the bipartisan legislation will likely prove a pyrrhic victory as the White House has already indicated President Obama will veto the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA).

But the House vote voice, coming four months after the Senate’s approval, was at the least a symbolic triumph for relatives of the nearly 3,000 people killed on Sept. 11, 2001.

“It's gratifying to see that when something is overwhelmingly in the interests of the American people, bipartisan action can happen,” said Jerry S. Goldman, attorney for several 9/11 families.

“The unity Americans felt in the days after 9/11 lives on in a determination to hold whoever was complicit in attacks on U.S. soil accountable, as existing law provides and as JASTA clarifies.”

Fifteen of the 19 terrorists involved in the 9/11 terror attacks were Saudi nationals.

The legislation would permit the family members to file suit against the Saudi government for any possible role that its officials played in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

“I hope for the sake of the families who have suffered such losses and fought so hard, the Administration will not veto this bill,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.).

“I'm pleased the House has taken this huge step forward towards justice for the families of the victims of 9/11,” he added. “There are always diplomatic considerations that get in the way of justice, but if a court proves the Saudis were complicit in 9/11, they should be held accountable.”

A vote of two-thirds in both the House and the Senate is necessary to override Obama’s veto.

Obama speaks with smiling Arab.

Suing an entire country for some radical Muslims???  Yea, I can see why Obama would veto that shit.  Bunch of fucking morons
A

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 02:08:03 AM »
What do you call 4000 dead Americants?

A good start.

Happy anniversary.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 03:55:47 AM »

Suing an entire country for some radical Muslims???  Yea, I can see why Obama would veto that shit.  Bunch of fucking morons

You surely must know that S-A is the biggest sponsor of camel people blowing themselves up and they fund moskues where lunatics preach hate towards the Christians and other people. The country, the "government", are radical.

Suing the shithole is too light.

It should be nuked.
I'm serious here. It is the only country I suggest nuking as a whole. No single good, sane person lives in Saudi-Arabia. There is nothing and no one worth saving.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
You surely must know that S-A is the biggest sponsor of camel people blowing themselves up and they fund moskues where lunatics preach hate towards the Christians and other people. The country, the "government", are radical.

It should be nuked.
I'm serious here. It is the only country I suggest nuking as a whole. No single good, sane person lives in Saudi-Arabia. There is nothing and no one worth saving.

Correct! Nuke mecca! Should've been done 15 years ago!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:45 AM »

It should be nuked.

No, they are no more of a state sponsor than we are and in fact with this, other countries like Iran and Iraq can sue us for the exact same thing, US citizen's lives could be endangered and lets not forget all of our trade relations with Saudi Arabia.

I feel bad for the victim but I think these lawyers are not doing them any favors
A

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:32:41 AM »
Obama = A piece of shit

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »
One reason that is undeniable, as to why Obama would want to veto, is because it places a throttle on maniacs like him.  It would make it so he and his pals would be forced into answering for their shit when it's the last thing they'd do otherwise.

They want to keep the "well, if you're not doing anything wrong..." argument to use against the little people and not themselves.  Fuck that and fuck him.

Bottom line, we cannot trust the Obamas of this world to force their foreign-policy decisions on us.  That's what he's trying to protect (at the absolute very least, that's what he's up to) and that's one of the reasons he's likely planning to do it.

Skeeter

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »
Seeing your government continually covering for the Saudis makes me sick. That bill even made it through congress. Is the senate poised to pass it as well? Obama is really dropping the ball on this issue.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
I think a lot of members of congress voted for this knowing that it would get vetoed by the president (by any president).  that if it actually had a chance of becoming law, they would not have voted for it.

Skeeter

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
I think a lot of members of congress voted for this knowing that it would get vetoed by the president (by any president).  that if it actually had a chance of becoming law, they would not have voted for it.

You may be right about that. Unsettling to say the least.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »
I think a lot of members of congress voted for this knowing that it would get vetoed by the president (by any president).

What about Bernie?

that if it actually had a chance of becoming law, they would not have voted for it.

If so, why do you suppose that might be?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
why do we support governments that seem to have values not in line with our constitution? Why do we support totalitarian government? Apartheid governments? Governments with dismal human rights records. Because it is in our best interest? Because it is more stable than the alternative? Because we need their resources?

Allowing people to sue the Saudia Arabian government, which is just one very rich family, would cause great embarrassment to that family.  Which would play into the hands of the religious fundamentalists in that country.  The house of saud is suppose to follow Wahhabism, a strict version of Sunni.  However, a very large number of them are bored spoiled rich kids jet setting their way around the world.   The religious fundamentalists in SA would like nothing better than to replace the monarchy with a theocracy. A Sunni theocracy that would love to then take out the Shia theocracy of Iran next door.

We all know how well taking out a despot in Iraq turned out.

Now that doesn't mean that passing this bill doesn't give the president (any president) leverage.   Carrot/stick, good cop/bad cop.  Hey king, you got to help me out here.  Don't know how long I can protect you from Congress.  Maybe you can improve your human rights just a bit.  

On the other hand, I'm all for cutting off all military sales to SA until they stop bombing Yemen.

think of all the wars in Europe in the 1600s-1800s between Protestant and Catholic factions of Christianity.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
why do we support governments that seem to have values not in line with our constitution? Why do we support totalitarian government? Apartheid governments? Governments with dismal human rights records. Because it is in our best interest? Because it is more stable than the alternative? Because we need their resources?

Allowing people to sue the Saudia Arabian government, which is just one very rich family, would cause great embarrassment to that family.  Which would play into the hands of the religious fundamentalists in that country.  The house of saud is suppose to follow Wahhabism, a strict version of Sunni.  However, a very large number of them are bored spoiled rich kids jet setting their way around the world.   The religious fundamentalists in SA would like nothing better than to replace the monarchy with a theocracy. A Sunni theocracy that would love to then take out the Shia theocracy of Iran next door.

We all know how well taking out a despot in Iraq turned out.

Now that doesn't mean that passing this bill doesn't give the president (any president) leverage.   Carrot/stick, good cop/bad cop.  Hey king, you got to help me out here.  Don't know how long I can protect you from Congress.  Maybe you can improve your human rights just a bit.  

On the other hand, I'm all for cutting off all military sales to SA until they stop bombing Yemen.

think of all the wars in Europe in the 1600s-1800s between Protestant and Catholic factions of Christianity.

Are you saying the threat in this, is that as information comes out, certain parts of that info will cause Saudi Arabia to become a theocracy through a revolution?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
Are you saying the threat in this, is that as information comes out, certain parts of that info will cause Saudi Arabia to become a theocracy through a revolution?

the threat of the clerics revolting is already there.  Anything that weakens the Saud family helps those wanting theocracy.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
the threat of the clerics revolting is already there.  Anything that weakens the Saud family helps those wanting theocracy.

But isn't it theoretically true that all evidence will lead right to those same people who would have a theocracy, if the reason claimed for 9/11 is accurate?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
But isn't it theoretically true that all evidence will lead right to those same people who would have a theocracy, if the reason claimed for 9/11 is accurate?

Doesn't mean that the Saud family wouldn't be weakened.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »
Doesn't mean that the Saud family wouldn't be weakened.

Weakened, as a result of helping those people you say create the potential threat?  How can it be that they might present a special threat from that?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »
Tim, are you saying that details about certain lifestyles and things might be revealed, and those details have the potential to cause a religious uprising?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
the clerics want a theocracy.  if the Sauds look damaged, the clerics might make a move.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
the clerics want a theocracy.  if the Sauds look damaged, the clerics might make a move.

By 'looking damaged' you must mean from personal details being revealed about certain individuals.

Is that the reason you'd say a person should be for the veto?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »
By 'looking damaged' you must mean from personal details being revealed about certain individuals.

Is that the reason you'd say a person should be for the veto?

No, I'm saying it is a kabuki dance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki_dance).  Everyone in congress knew that such a bill could not become law without doing major damage to an important ally, and if it had any chance of not being vetoed it wouldn't have been brought up for a vote.  But this way members of congress can say hey we tried, and it may make the Saudis more amenable in other negotiations.