Author Topic: Important Notice about Eclipse  (Read 8482 times)

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Important Notice about Eclipse
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
I know this has nothing to do with bodybuidling, but most bodybuilders I know, music plays a big part of there life.They got a nice sound system in there car, and a ipod, for the gym Eclipse car audio, which is a quality brand, owned by Fujuisti Ten ( I dont know the exact spelling) is pulling out of the American car audio market.This means they will no longer be avaiable after all there existing units are sold. So if you have a problem with your head unit, or it stops working, you will not be able to trade it out only get it fixed .

I bought an Eclispe top of the line with Navigation, for $1100, it normally goes for $1500, but I have a friend who own a shop and gives me good pricing.He called me about 2 weeks ago and said, Eclispe is pulling out of the USA market, so why dont you let me trade out your head unit for you.He saved my ass because now Eclipse decks are sellling for $799 on EBAY and Crutchfield, because they are closing them out.He said the deck cost him $1000, and he sold it to me for $1100.

He stopped carrying Eclipse after he found this out because 1) they are going out of buisness so get a replacement and warranty will be a nightmare 2) He was paying a $1000 for decks for Eclipse, and people can buy it on Cruchfield and Ebay for $799, so people will think he is ripping them off if he charges them $1500 3) He doesnt want to sell a head unit that is obsolete 6 months from now.I am really glad I found this out, I traded in my unit, because I didnt use it and bought an Alpine IVA 505 head unit , THE KCE 400bt, blue tooth, and the NVE -M300 Navigation.He sold me all 3 units for $1300.Retail is $2000.

If you ever need car audio equiptment, go to 702 Motoring, in Vegas.They do the best work,He even pimped out Ice -T  cars aswell as al the fighters. Beleive it or not I am very good with electronics.If you have an electronic item that doesnt work, and it has a power pack that converts 120 volts to 3-17 volts .

Sometimes these power packs go bad, not the electrnic item, such as your computer, your computer speakers.I have had 3 power packs go out on me in the last year.Thank god I tested the power pack, and didnt throw away the electronic item.

Now how to check if your power pack is bad.Just go to Wal Mart and get a volt meter at Wal Mart for $9.If you dont want to buy a voltage meter, you could just do it ghetto style.Just take a cheap speaker.Then take the positive wire to the very middle of the female end of the adpater, and take the negative wire and touch it to the outer side of the female end.If the speaker makes a popping sound, your getting voltage.This will not shock you as long as the wires dont touch, plus most wall adapters are only 3-17 volts and very low amperage..Voltage adapters are only like $20, and you can buy them at Radio Shack, or Wal Mart.Just make sure you get the right voltage, and the right polarity.If you look at the voltage adapter it will usually point to the center of the female end.Usually the inside is positive and the outer side is negative.But look before you hook it up.The adpater will usually say tip, + or -.

In the last year my Altec Lansing Iopd speakers adapter went bad, my laptop adpater went bad, and my computer speakers adapter went bad.Thanks to Nevada Power, and there voltage spikes, lol.I am just glad it blew out the adapter and not the device it was powering

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: Important Notice about Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
just so you know everytime you dont make paragraphes nobody reads your crap.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
I know this has nothing to do with bodybuidling, but most bodybuilders I know, music plays a big part of there life.They got a nice sound system in there car, and a ipod, for the gym
Eclipse car audio, which is a quality brand, owned by Fujuisti Ten ( I dont know the exact spelling) is pulling out of the American car audio market.This means they will no longer be avaiable after all there existing units are sold.So if you have a problem with your head unit, or it stops working, you will not be able to trade it out only get it fixed .
I bought an Eclispe top of the line with Navigation, for $1100, it normally goes for $1500, but I have a friend who own a shop and gives me good pricing.He called me about 2 weeks ago and said, Eclispe is pulling out of the USA market, so why dont you let me trade out your head unit for you.He saved my ass because now Eclipse decks are sellling for $799 on EBAY and Crutchfield, because they are closing them out.He said the deck cost him $1000, and he sold it to me for $1100.
He stopped carrying Eclipse after he found this out because 1) they are going out of buisness so get a replacement and warranty will be a nightmare 2) He was paying a $1000 for decks for Eclipse, and people can buy it on Cruchfield and Ebay for $799, so people will think he is ripping them off if he charges them $1500 3) He doesnt want to sell a head unit that is obsolete 6 months from now.I am really glad I found this out, I traded in my unit, because I didnt use it and bought an Alpine IVA 505 head unit , THE KCE 400bt, blue tooth, and the NVE -M300 Navigation.He sold me all 3 units for $1300.Retail is $2000.
If you ever need car audio equiptment, go to 702 Motoring, in Vegas.They do the best work,He even pimped out Ice -T  cars aswell as al the fighters.
Beleive it or not I am very good with electronics.If you have an electronic item that doesnt work, and it has a power pack that converts 120 volts to 3-17 volts .
Sometimes these power packs go bad, not the electrnic item, such as your computer, your computer speakers.I have had 3 power packs go out on me in the last year.Thank god I tested the power pack, and didnt throw away the electronic item.
Now how to check if your power pack is bad.Just go to Wal Mart and get a volt meter at Wal Mart for $9.If you dont want to buy a voltage meter, you could just do it ghetto style.Just take a cheap speaker.Then take the positive wire to the very middle of the female end of the adpater, and take the negative wire and touch it to the outer side of the female end.If the speaker makes a popping sound, your getting voltage.This will not shock you as long as the wires dont touch, plus most wall adapters are only 3-17 volts and very low amperage..Voltage adapters are only like $20, and you can buy them at Radio Shack, or Wal Mart.Just make sure you get the right voltage, and the right polarity.If you look at the voltage adapter it will usually point to the center of the female end.Usually the inside is positive and the outer side is negative.But look before you hook it up.The adpater will usually say tip, + or -.
In the last year my Altec Lansing Iopd speakers adapter went bad, my laptop adpater went bad, and my computer speakers adapter went bad.Thanks to Nevada Power, and there voltage spikes, lol.I am just glad it blew out the adapter and not the device it was powering
Electronically induced meltdown.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:42 AM »
Whenever I see a thread by getitonwithguys I always reluctantly open it. Then when I see the same old incoherent bullshit that goes on for days I say fuck and quickly hit the back button.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 03:29:47 AM »
Robert Burneika

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:06 AM »
I know this has nothing to do with bodybuidling, but most bodybuilders I know, music plays a big part of there life.They got a nice sound system in there car, and a ipod, for the gym Eclipse car audio, which is a quality brand, owned by Fujuisti Ten ( I dont know the exact spelling) is pulling out of the American car audio market.This means they will no longer be avaiable after all there existing units are sold. So if you have a problem with your head unit, or it stops working, you will not be able to trade it out only get it fixed .

If you ever need car audio equiptment, go to 702 Motoring, in Vegas.They do the best work,He even pimped out Ice -T  cars aswell as al the fighters. Beleive it or not I am very good with electronics.If you have an electronic item that doesnt work, and it has a power pack that converts 120 volts to 3-17 volts .

You strike me as the kind of person you don't want to get stuck with talking to at a party  :(
P

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 03:36:05 AM »
Robert Burneika  Robert Burneika  Robert Burneika  Robert Burneika  Robert Burneika  Robert Burneika
Fixed!

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
The reason why I made this post is my friend was going to buy an Eclipse head unit on line, little did he know the company was pulling out of the USA Market.Today all electrniocs are junk, most stereos, TV'S, Microwaves, Blow dryers, vaccums, and even toasters.
Because they are mass produced in China.
I remember when you bought a stereo recievers,or a blow dryer  and it worked for 5-10 years plus.Today,everything you buy including cell phones either break or go obsolete in 3-6 months.
They purposly do this so you wont fix your electronic item, you will instead buy a new one.
Back in the day if you had a Fosgate Punch 150 or Punch 45 you would spend the $100 to fix it.
Now if something break you just thorw it away and buy another one.
Unless you spend alot of money to buy something decent

So I think its pretty shitty that companies are blowing out these Eclipse headf units at cheap priced, but not telling them the company is leaving the USA.So if your stereo breaks, or you needs parts good luck, they dont care, they are no longer selling in the USA.Trust me the way they mass product head units in China these days, there is a 50% chance it will be defective or break.
I got old Audio Equiptment, like JBL studio moniotrs made in the USA in 1973 that still rock.Today, speakers wouldnt last 2 yearts tops.Even the amplifiers they are selling are junk, they make up exagerated watttages like 1000, 2000 watts, but that is not real power that is what I call struck by lightning power.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
In more important news,what are you getting ROBERT BURNIEKA for Valentines day?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
Wow, I'm really surprised Eclipse used to always be top of the line super high end...along with Nakamichi and McIntosh, it kind of sucks to see them go but I can understand why, they car audio industry is nothing like it used to be back in the day.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
In more important news,what are you getting ROBERT BURNIEKA for Valentines day?

LMAO...

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »
Okami, what is your obsession with Robert Burneika? In every one of my posts you mention him.Is he on your mind alot? I rarely talk to Robert, I give him product, and advice and thats about it.He isnt my best friend, but he is a great athlete.I talk to Robert maybe once a month twice a months tops.We are both busy being succesful you might want to try it sometime.
Captain, yes, Eclipse was a very high end line.I bought there top of the line head unit with Navigation and DVD, buecause it was a great product.But..... After I found out that they are pulling out of the USA market and they are closing out all inventory I returned it.There email stated that they will not exchange headunits, only warranty work.This means if it breaks, you have to find a place to get it fixed or mail it in.
That sucks,...
.Plus you got to prey they got the parts, and they fix it right.If they leave a bad ground inside the deck you will have engine noise like crazy.
I used to own a car Audio store.It was called Exclusive Car Audio.We sold Alpine, JVC Pioneer MTX, Redline,Sherwood,Kicker, and even JBL.
I remember when Concord pulled out of the USA in car audio back in 91.If you remember Concord they made the one of the best car cassette decks besides Nakamichi.There HPL 550 had 20-20,000 hz range on there tape decks which is unheard of
.Most cassette decks are 30,15,000, or 50,12000hz if your luck.
Anywats when Concord pulled out they sold everything dirt cheap.They were selling 8" woofers for $24 to dealers which normally cost $109
.They were bad ass, they has a 2 voice coil and handled 200 watts which was alot back then for a 8" sub.The only problem was there amps were very unreliable.They used to burn up all the time.After Concord pulled out we got a lot of pissed off customers because we couldnt get them service.

Concord hit and they ran.So we had to give the customers credit towards another product.

Also fellas dont by "B' stock or refurbised electronics.1) Most of the time it was a lemon from the get go 2) Its was usually a product that was porrly made or poorly engineered that is why they have alot of the itmes.3)You never know who they had rebuild the unit, and how welll they fixed the problem that was causing the unit to fail.I know refurbished stuff is cheaper, but remember, your buying some one elses problem when you buy it.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »
Okami, what is your obsession with Robert Burneika? In every one of my posts you mention him.Is he on your mind alot? I rarely talk to Robert, I give him product, and advice and thats about it.He isnt my best friend, but he is a great athlete.I talk to Robert maybe once a month twice a months tops.We are both busy being succesful you might want to try it sometime.
Captain, yes, Eclipse was a very high end line.I bought there top of the line head unit with Navigation and DVD, buecause it was a great product.But..... After I found out that they are pulling out of the USA market and they are closing out all inventory I returned it.There email stated that they will not exchange headunits, only warranty work.This means if it breaks, you have to find a place to get it fixed or mail it in.
That sucks,...
.Plus you got to prey they got the parts, and they fix it right.If they leave a bad ground inside the deck you will have engine noise like crazy.
I used to own a car Audio store.It was called Exclusive Car Audio.We sold Alpine, JVC Pioneer MTX, Redline,Sherwood,Kicker, and even JBL.
I remember when Concord pulled out of the USA in car audio back in 91.If you remember Concord they made the one of the best car cassette decks besides Nakamichi.There HPL 550 had 20-20,000 hz range on there tape decks which is unheard of
Anywats when Concord pulled out they sold everything dirt cheap.They were selling 8" woofers for $24 to dealers which normally cost $109
.They were bad ass, they has a 2 voice coil and handled 200 watts which was alot back then for a 8" sub.The only problem was there amps were very unreliable.They used to burn up all the time.After Concord pulled out we got a lot of pissed off customers because we couldnt get them service.

Concord hit and they ran.So we had to give the customers credit towards another product.

Also fellas dont by "B' stock or refurbised electronics.1) Most of the time it was a lemon from the get go 2) Its was usually a product that was porrly made or poorly engineered that is why they have alot of the itmes.3)You never know who they had rebuild the unit, and how welll they fixed the problem that was causing the unit to fail.I know refurbished stuff is cheaper, but remember, your buying some one elses problem when you buy it.

Heheh, yeah I remember Concord.. afterwards Alpine took over on the tape decks and just steamrolled everybody but the really high end elite's like Nakamichi and Eclipse..my system right now is mostly kicker, L7's for subs, amps, a fosgate 2 farad capacitor and Memphis Audio reference in the front and back going to a clarion dvd headunit, I love it, the Kicker has been the center of my system for about 8-10 years now, solid as a rock, never failed once..competition grade components ! I love it.

You ever have any experience with McIntosh hand wired amps !??!  those amps are f*cking insane... they go for around $3,000 an amp, really high end stuff.

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
Captain its funny you mention Kickers, because I have 4 kicker free air, or Ported box 12" woofers I bought in 1993.I gave then to my son and he is still rocking them .They are 17 years old!!!!
Kicker is a good company, they were first called Still Water Design, then went to Kicker by Still Water design.Memphis Audio started out as Fultron, owned by Arther Fulmer, they made decent stuff.
Then Mephis was there high end line.
As far as Macintosh goes, they were always good equiptment.They were bought out by Clarion about 7 years ago if not longer.
My uncle has an Old Macintosh Amplifier from the 1970's its 200 wpc, and its worth some big bucks.
Macitosh has always been above and beyond, because quality never goes out of style.
Have you ever seen the double din retro looking Macintosh head units, those  are bad ass.
My buddy had one, the clarity that unit has was incredable.
What is really worth some big bucks is the old Macintosh tube amplifiers.
Those will get anywhere from $2000-$5000 or more working or not.
My personal system in my Yukon XL is 2 old Phoeniox Gold amps when they were still hand made in the USA.
I knew the old owner Keith, we used to do trade out because he did triatholons and mountain climbing. So I got like 12 Phonex gold amps.
Anyways I got 1400 watts on the bass and 4 x 200 watts running my highs.I am using Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite for my highs,they were made by Morel for Phoenix Gold.I got 2 -7" midbass with tweets in the door, and 5 1/4" with tweets in the kick panel.Then in my rear fill I got 2 6" with tweets in the rear doors.
Have you ever heard of Morel? They make some really really good woofers ,midbass and tweeters.
My 7" midbass, and 5 1/4" midbass have 3" voice coils, that unheard of.
To bad Phoenix Gold stopped making the Titanium Elites.
For my Bass I am running 3 Polk Audio SR 12".They weigh 30lbs each, and sound amazing.
I love Polk Audio, there older stuff is amazing
.I got a pair of there SDA SR 1.2 at home.They are 60" tall and weigh 200 lbs each.I picked them up last year from a guy who needed money.I drove 400 miles each way to pick them up.
I was going to have them shipped by truck because I ship so much I get 70%, but I was afraid they might get damged
They went for $3400 new in 1995, but he let me have them both for $1200.
Polk makes some amazing drivers, very muscial.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
Bob Burnieka

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
Bob Burnieka
Don't get familiar!   ;D

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
Hey!  I wanna start a thread about stuff I have too!  If I had anything I would list the year I bought it, the specs, how much I paid....but then I don't have anything :-[

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Captain its funny you mention Kickers, because I have 4 kicker free air, or Ported box 12" woofers I bought in 1993.I gave then to my son and he is still rocking them .They are 17 years old!!!!
Kicker is a good company, they were first called Still Water Design, then went to Kicker by Still Water design.Memphis Audio started out as Fultron, owned by Arther Fulmer, they made decent stuff.
Then Mephis was there high end line.
As far as Macintosh goes, they were always good equiptment.They were bought out by Clarion about 7 years ago if not longer.
My uncle has an Old Macintosh Amplifier from the 1970's its 200 wpc, and its worth some big bucks.
Macitosh has always been above and beyond, because quality never goes out of style.
Have you ever seen the double din retro looking Macintosh head units, those  are bad ass.
My buddy had one, the clarity that unit has was incredable.
What is really worth some big bucks is the old Macintosh tube amplifiers.
Those will get anywhere from $2000-$5000 or more working or not.
My personal system in my Yukon XL is 2 old Phoeniox Gold amps when they were still hand made in the USA.
I knew the old owner Keith, we used to do trade out because he did triatholons and mountain climbing. So I got like 12 Phonex gold amps.
Anyways I got 1400 watts on the bass and 4 x 200 watts running my highs.I am using Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite for my highs,they were made by Morel for Phoenix Gold.I got 2 -7" midbass with tweets in the door, and 5 1/4" with tweets in the kick panel.Then in my rear fill I got 2 6" with tweets in the rear doors.
Have you ever heard of Morel? They make some really really good woofers ,midbass and tweeters.
My 7" midbass, and 5 1/4" midbass have 3" voice coils, that unheard of.
To bad Phoenix Gold stopped making the Titanium Elites.
For my Bass I am running 3 Polk Audio SR 12".They weigh 30lbs each, and sound amazing.

I love Polk Audio, there older stuff is amazing
.I got a pair of there SDA SR 1.2 at home.They are 60" tall and weigh 200 lbs each.I picked them up last year from a guy who needed money.I drove 400 miles each way to pick them up.
I was going to have them shipped by truck because I ship so much I get 70%, but I was afraid they might get damged
They went for $3400 new in 1995, but he let me have them both for $1200.
Polk makes some amazing drivers, very muscial.

That's a sweet setup!! Phoenix Gold back in the day couldn't be beat..I don't know how they are now but about 10 years ago they were untouchable.. I love all high end audio brands.. boston acoustic is another great company that's always made high quality components and amps. I have the higher end Memphis line, they cost me $270 a set (front and backs) and are 6.5" and tweeter, very nice and crisp.

Like you said about Polk great company too, good reliable products sort of like a higher end MTX (which I always found to be solid and reliable as well)

My buddy has 3 of those hand wired tube McIntosh amps in his camaro, he competes at IASCA or something like that for SQL, his system is worth around $25,000-30,000 about $3,000 in wiring and fuses alone!

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
Captain, Your right about Boston accoustics, they are great.!They came out in I think 1979 with a home speaker that was only $150 per pair, it had a 6 1/2 " woofer and a soft dome tweeter, and all the magazines praised it.These speakers sounded amazing.
Boston Acoostics Pro series car audio is no Joke, there seperates go for $600 per pair.I alomost bought those but I got the Phoenix Gold Titanium Elites instead.The Phoenix Gold Titanium Elites cost $800 per pair.But since I swapped out with the owner Keith ,I got my sets for $200, so I bought 3 sets.So I put all 3 sets in my Yukon XL
Speaking of Phoneix gold do you remeber the first series they made back in 1990? Thev ones that had gold plated circuit boards and people used use plexi-glass to show off the inside of the amps? Well I got 3 of those amps, I to the 2 of the 250' s and 1 of the 125.
They were called cheater amps in ISACA because they put out way 2-3 times there claimed output.My 125 will put out over 700 watss mono and its only 125 wpc.They said the amp is capable of putting out 1000 wats.The dam amp has 2 long bus bars down the middle of the inside, that are gold plated, lol.
Speaking of old school amps, do you remeber Linear power? Those are some bad ass amps.I would love to get my hands on the 8001 mono block.
They used to use the T03 top hat transistors.Those are the same transistors used in the old high end home amplifiers from the 70's.They are twice as big as normal output transistors.Anyways there 8001 mono block is rated at 800 watts, real wats mono, and is capable of 2400 watts peak.I remember when they tested this amp , it smoked even the Fosgate power 1000 in power.
Another really good amp back in the day was Hifonics.Do remember the Colusus? That sucker was huge and put out enormous amounts of power.I would love to own one of those suckers to.I knew a guy who had 2 of them, yes 2 of them in a Toyota 4 runner.with 12 12" woofers.This trid would hit so hard, it rattled everything from blockks away.If you stood next to the truck it literally made your teeth chater.
Do you remeber the orion red amps.They were rated at 2x25 watts into 4 ohms but would put out 400 watss mono ?
Another good amps was Zapco, they were also made by ZED  audio, the same company that made Hifonics.
Zed Audio amps were good amps, they made amps for Lanzar, Hifonics Autoek,Rodek,and many others.
Lastly, do you remeber PPI, they made somne really good amps aswell.They even made the amps called the Hott set up, these amps were awesome.They were very underated.They were mainly SPL amps.
Back in the 80's and 90, there was a ton of good amplifiers all made in the USA. Most of them made in Tempe AZ.That is were Rockford Fosgate was out of.I got 3 old Fosgate amps, I got a punch 150 and 2 punch 45's I picked up for really cheap.The guy  didnt think they worked.They just needed the internal fuses replaced and the inside grounds resoldered.
Have you ever heard of MMATS  audio? they used the tsame TO3 old school top hat transitstor, that Linear Power used to use,.I heard those amps are nast aswell.
Its good talking to people who know god quality audio.Everybody brags about having a 1000-2000 watss in there cars these days.Yet they dont realize these amps are all rated at peak power.Most of them are only 100 watts RMS.
Back in the day 200 real watts in your cars would rattle your brain.I used to have a punch 150 and a punch 75, and that cars was so loud and clear.It was only 225 watts total?I miss the good old days when things were made in the USA and they didnt lioe about power ratings.Today, they even lie about the head unit outputs.
They claim these head units are 4 times 50= 200 watss.So what I did was I hooked up a old wattage meter up to my Pioneer, in my work truck and my Alpine in my Yukon.
Both head units were rated at 4 times 50 maximum.The most powet I got out of both of them was 10-15 watts, and that was pushing them into clippping, into a 4 ohm load.Why dont they just put 4 times 10 or 4 x15 like they did in the old days?
These head units arent even close to 200 watts.
200 real watts in a car is very very loud.As you know.
Speaking of Memphis they make some nice 6x9 speakers, and some really nice woofers.I also like there 5 band in dash eq's, they are really well made.Mephis reminds me of Cliff design.They are both really well made stuff.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
Yeah it's a joke nowadays, they rate stuff at 1000 watts, what they don't say is that it's pretty much the amps breaking point, at which you will blow the amp, most kids assume RMS, but RMS on those would be around 75 or 1000... I forget the exact formula but I think RMS is aprox 20% of the whole max load for continuous power.

As far as brands you mentiioned! hell yeah I remember some of them!!! red Orion (back when they were good) Legacy was decent back then too, also Colossus and MMats, I almost bought a whole MMats setup when I was getting my kicker stuff, decided to go with kicker because it seemed more musical and MMats seemed strictly SPL competition stuff, I don't just blast bass in my system so I had to have audiophile graded gear for mids and highs as well, kids around here used to get a hard hitting monoblock class D amp with something like W7, run everything else stock (paper factory speakers, deck) and just crank the treble to 10 on the deck and bass to 0, I thought that was retarded, but that's kid mentality for ya..

I love some of the good old 90's brands, Cerwin Vega's were top notch, Phoenix Gold, MTX, etc.
a lot of them went under or are going under because they  can't compete with this made in china shit that blows after 2 motnhs, the stuff we know is still working hard without blinking after 10, 15 years

now that's QUALITY work!

Cool story about the Boston's I've always regarded them as audiophile quaility and elite for both car and home, I'm going to be putting a whole Boston system in my fiancee's car.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
...something about car stereos? 

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
Cerwin Vega' OMG, I got a 15" Cerwin Vegas woofer I picked up at a garage sale for $10.This old guy had it laying around, it is out of there top of line 15" 4 way home speaker.The sucker works perfectly, the guy just wanted to get rid of it.
I may put it into a box, and use it as a sub for my computer.I want to build my own computer speakers.
Do you remeber the Cerwin Vega Stroker? those were very very durable and loud woofers..

Do you remember Harman Kardon when they used to make high end car Amplifiers? Those were some really good and strong amplifiers.
Harman Kardon Bought JBL and Infinite about 20 plus years ago.
You know JBL dont you? Thos woofers were some of the best built woofers in the world.
I remeber taking apart my JBL L-100 home speaker made in 1973 and it had a 6 lb magnet on the woofer with a cast frame.
I had a friend who took 2 JBL L112 woofers and put them in his car.lol.The reason why is they handled 300 watts and had a 12lb magnet on the woofer.He ran them in parellel and brided his amplifier and it saw 4oms mono, which is equal to 2 ohms, in most cases.
That care rocked, this was back in 1989,
Do remeber Lanzar, they looked just like Cerwin Vegas, they were good, buy very effcient woofers.There amps were really really good, until Pyramid bought them.Speaking of Pyramid, those SOB's bought the name Pyle Driver.You have to remeber Pyle driver????
My first system in High school was 2 santo 6100's with Pyle 1020 woofers, it was only 200 watts but it hit!
Pyle made some decent stuff, there 6x9 speakers were over built.Pyle wasnt the best brand, but you got a lot of bang for you buck.
Plus there were American Made.
Now this is going back really far.Do remeber The old Jensen Triaxial, and the Triax II???? At one time those were the shi#$# to have Jensen in your car, lol.Another really good company was Jetsound.They made the most powerful powerbooster EQ's, they has honest ratings.There were bascially car amplifiers with and eq on the face.Most power booster EQ's suck, lol.
They are all rated at 200-400 watts but are really just 12 watts per channel.
I know this because I have a few.I hooked them up to a wattage meter and most of them start giving out at 10 watts, lol.They are mostly just 1 or 2 10-12 watt IC chips.

As far as RMS goes it means ROOT Means Square, and your right about your definition.
Its funny how you mention these kids, who buy a 100 watt amp, to run there bass, and use there deck with factory speakers to run there highs.You always hear the bass rattling and the highs distorted to all hell when they drive by.But they got a booming system, lol.
True story, do you remeber Majestic Amplifiers?

Well I used to sell them as my lower line.The kids loved them because back them they could get a 300 watt or 500 watt amp for around $150-$200.Anyways this kid cvomes by my store and says his  300 watt amps keeps cutting off.
I looked in has back seat and he had like 10 diffrent home speakers hooked up to it, most of them cheap, and he had the amp bridged mono.So this amplifier was seeing about a 1/4 ohm load, and the amp was only 2 oms stable.
Not to mention half of the speakers were blown becauser they were cheap speakers, like Soundesign, Emerson, and they were only rated at 10 watts.So between the distortion and to much power, he blew them out.
I sold him a pair of MTX terminator 10" woofers and he was happy as could be, and his amp never shut off again.
I had another guy come in who bought a amplifer, and his amp kept cutting out.He bragged about his dad being a electrician, wiring houses.
Thank god we had a fire extinguisher at the store because his car caught on fire.
It turns out his day, used some single stang house wire to  his sons amplifier.If you know anything about single stand wire, its not flexable, like standed wire.So when he ran the wire down the throught the firewall of the car, the movement broked the insulation.
So it ignited right in the parking lot, and started to burn his carpet.I put it out before there was to much damage.,
I had one of our installers rewire his amplifier for him and he was happy.
Lastly JL audio old stuff is very good.I ma not to crazy about there new stuff.They used to be American made, and hand built, just like Kicker and MTX.
So your running a kicker Solo Baric? Isnt that the square woofer.I remeber when they first came out, they were round.
They cost $300 a pop back in 1992.
I was going to buy those, but I bought the kicker free Air instead.My friend was a Kicker delaer and gave me my 12" woofers for $70 a pop.So I got 4 12" for the price of one Solo baric.
Bsck then money was tight.I almost went with OZ audio, do you remeber OZ audio? They were really good speakers with Rubber surrounds.My buddy talked me into the kickers, because at $70 a pop how could I go wrong.That was his cost.
He was a cool guy.
Like I said in my last post, my son still has those Kicker speakers I bought in 1993, and they still work like new.
Your Kicker speakers will probably out live you.

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
Okami, what is your obsession with Robert Burneika? In every one of my posts you mention him.Is he on your mind alot? I stalk Robert, I give him product  blowjobs , and advice am his bottom  and thats about it.He isnt I wish he was my best friend, but he is a great athletea god in my eyes .I talk to Robert maybe once a month twice a months tops when he can't outrun me .We are both busy being succesful gay,  you might want to try it sometime.
That sucks,...

fyp

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »

dude  you should entitle your posts much ado about nothing. life's too short to read all this crap. here's a good story for you to read.            i used to carpool  with this moron who paid 250 dollars for a car and had a 2000 dollar sound system installed by another moron. long story short second trip the car caught fire  250 dollar car and 2000 dollar system became history. moron two's  installation caused the fire subwoofer in trunk started the blaze.   see short concise interesting=elements for a good post. your welcome.
F

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
DIstubia, I know my spelling is off sometimes and my I dont use proper grammar.
This is getbig, and to be honest with you, I dont care what people think
Plus most of the time when I am typing a post, my screen moved around, the website kicks me off or freezes up.
So most of the time, just posting something on this site is a challege.When I got to spell check it deletes my post.
Getbig has alot of problems with there server.I am not making excuses, but how can you type correctly when your screen keeps jumping your the server is so slow, you cant see what your typing.
I have high speed internet, and a very very fast modem, and I never have this problem with other sites.
So yes my posts are not always perfect , but what I am saying is real