Author Topic: FDA should regulate salt, panel says.  (Read 11231 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
FDA should regulate salt, panel says.
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
FDA should regulate salt, panel says ["FDA putting measures together to do this"]
Reuters ^

________________________ ________________________ ____

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:45:39 AM by Sub-Driver

FDA should regulate salt, panel says Photo 9:18am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration should regulate the amount of salt that can be added to foods to help Americans eat less sodium, an influential federal panel said on Tuesday.

Because Americans get most of their sodium from processed and restaurant foods, it is not enough to simply tell them to eat less salt and regulation of the food industry is needed, the Institute of Medicine said.

The FDA is already putting together measures to do this, the Washington Post reported.

Too much salt can cause high blood pressure, which in turn causes strokes, heart disease and kidney failure.

"For 40 years we have known about the relationship between sodium and the development of hypertension and other life threatening diseases, but we have had virtually no success in cutting back the salt in our diets," Jane Henney of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in Ohio, who chaired the Institute of Medicine panel, said in a statement.

(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
FDA may force restaurants, food makers to cut salt content
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
Maybe they should start regulating taste.  I had a pretty crappy Mexican food meal this past weekend.   ::)

FDA may force restaurants, food makers to cut salt content
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration says it will consider a new call today to force food makers to gradually cut the salt hidden inside their products — but don't expect less salty soups, pizzas or pastas any time soon.

Americans eat about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt daily, more than double what they need for good health and high enough to increase risk of high blood pressure, strokes and other problems. Most of that sodium doesn't come from the table salt-shaker — it's hidden inside common processed foods and restaurant meals.

Major foods makers have started reducing sodium in recent years, but have argued that they don't have tasty ways to replace sodium for deep cuts — and they fear consumer backlash as the taste changes.

Today, the prestigious Institute of Medicine said the food industry hasn't done enough to voluntarily cut back. Echoing earlier calls from the American Medical Association and other health groups, the IOM urged the government to set maximum sodium levels for different foods in a stepped rollback — so that eventually, the average consumption would drop by about half a teaspoon.

A gradual reduction would let people adjust to the change in flavor.

"We don't believe this is a fast project by any means," said Dr. Jane E. Henney of the University of Cincinnati, a former FDA commissioner who headed the IOM's study. "We think it's important and imperative to get started, but we think this will probably take years to accomplish."

The FDA hasn't decided whether to regulate sodium levels, but "no options are off the table," said spokeswoman Meghan Scott.

"A lot would have to be done before any decision is made to regulate sodium levels," Scott said. But, "there is very little debate any longer over the impact sodium has."

The IOM is an independent agency chartered by Congress to advise the federal government, and is just the latest in a string of health groups to pressure the FDA in recent years to cut the salt.

The American Medical Association has said that if the salt in processed and restaurant food were cut in half over 10 years, that ultimately 150,000 lives a year could be saved.

One in three U.S. adults has high blood pressure, in turn a leading cause of heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure. And while being overweight and inactive raises blood pressure, too much salt is a big culprit as well.

Government guidelines set 2,300 milligrams of sodium as the maximum daily intake — the amount above which health problems can appear. But the IOM says people need just 1,500 mg a day, even less if they're over 50. Yet average consumption is more than 3,400 mg.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100420/BREAKING/100420031/FDA+may+force+restaurants++food+makers+to+cut+salt+content

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: FDA may force restaurants, food makers to cut salt content
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
This is all you need to know about libs. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
They all look like pillars of health.Guys like Dick Durbin,Patrick Kennedy,Feinstein,Lee,all super comnditioned people who obviously have their pulse on health and conditioning.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »
I totally support these measures.  Sodium content in our foods is out of control, especially in restaurants.  I believe in full disclosure of what amounts they put into the food we eat and strict regulation on overuse of sodium, certain fats and other nasty concoctions that can shorten life. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
I totally support these measures.  Sodium content in our foods is out of control, especially in restaurants.  I believe in full disclosure of what amounts they put into the food we eat and strict regulation on overuse of sodium, certain fats and other nasty concoctions that can shorten life.  

Please go kill your fucking self.  

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
I totally support these measures.  Sodium content in our foods is out of control, especially in restaurants.  I believe in full disclosure of what amounts they put into the food we eat and strict regulation on overuse of sodium, certain fats and other nasty concoctions that can shorten life. 

We dont need the filthy government regulating what we eat,how much we eat,what we weigh.How about they just leave us the fuck alone.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
Please go kill your fucking self. 

hahaha why exactly?  Because i believe people have a right to know and understand what their food is doing to them?  If you would rather we live in the dark ages i believe you are sadly out of touch.  Reality is 333 the american people are misinformed and out of touch.  For too long food companies have run roughshod over the people of this great country with lies and misinformation.  It's akin to the tobacco companies the way they are exploiting or trying to the American people.  If something if proven to be a health risk the government has a right to inform the people and regulate as it sees appropriate.  That is a fundamental role of the government and one that can not and should not be unchanged.  If you don't like it.  Take one of those guns you so adore and eat it.   :-*
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
Maybe because I dont want the cocaine abusing obama in my home? 

Take your nanny state and shove up your liberal ass along with TA and 240. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
We dont need the filthy government regulating what we eat,how much we eat,what we weigh.How about they just leave us the fuck alone.

Here is the thing Billy.  The American people DO need help with dietary choices, i'm not advocating that they tell you exactly where and what you can eat, i advocate for full disclosure of what is in the food and full investigation into the effects any and all additives have on the human body.  That way we can finally know what is and isn't healthy.  

The same complaint can be made for the government banning steroids.  They did it without information and without a full investigation into the effects it has long term.  Because of that we have all these half truths from anti-steroid morons instead of truth.  
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
hahaha why exactly?  Because i believe people have a right to know and understand what their food is doing to them?  If you would rather we live in the dark ages i believe you are sadly out of touch.  Reality is 333 the american people are misinformed and out of touch.  For too long food companies have run roughshod over the people of this great country with lies and misinformation.  It's akin to the tobacco companies the way they are exploiting or trying to the American people.  If something if proven to be a health risk the government has a right to inform the people and regulate as it sees appropriate.  That is a fundamental role of the government and one that can not and should not be unchanged.  If you don't like it.  Take one of those guns you so adore and eat it.   :-*

This is unfortunate.The idea that people didnt know that breathing fire into their lungs wouldnt hurt their health is insane.The idea that people are unaware that eating a Big Mac isnt healthy is a joke.

Now,we keep hearing about the health risks of obesity and they use that idiotic BMI chart to show who is obese.We hear of the dangers of salt but life spans HAVE INCREASED not decreased.This is yet another ploy of the government to control every aspect of our lives.It has NOTHING to do with health at all.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »
Maybe because I dont want the cocaine abusing obama in my home? 

Take your nanny state and shove up your liberal ass along with TA and 240. 

nanny state? ha! It's called government tool it acts to serve the peoples best interest and funnily enough the health of it's citizens i.e. life is one of those.  So why don't you go down to the corner you so often frequent and get your sh*t pushed in by your other right wing buddies and keep hating yourself for it.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
nanny state? ha! It's called government tool it acts to serve the peoples best interest and funnily enough the health of it's citizens i.e. life is one of those.  So why don't you go down to the corner you so often frequent and get your sh*t pushed in by your other right wing buddies and keep hating yourself for it.

FU slave!   I'll make my own decisions without having that communist asshole and his chewbacca wife in my fridge.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
This is unfortunate.The idea that people didnt know that breathing fire into their lungs wouldnt hurt their health is insane.The idea that people are unaware that eating a Big Mac isnt healthy is a joke.

Now,we keep hearing about the health risks of obesity and they use that idiotic BMI chart to show who is obese.We hear of the dangers of salt but life spans HAVE INCREASED not decreased.This is yet another ploy of the government to control every aspect of our lives.It has NOTHING to do with health at all.

You and i know that Billy but that doesn't stop Mcdonalds advertising with athletes, doesn't stop the corn lobby from claiming high fructose corn syrup is the same as sugar cane, all that does it implicitly tell people that 'hey it's okay to eat a big mac michael jordan did' or 'HFCS? that's just sugar lets eat it' without understanding and knowing the real facts behind those foods and what they can do to you.

BMI is stupid i agree.  But obesity is a very real problem life spans have increased because of technological advances in vaccines, medicine, a regular supply of food and sanitation.  Seriously.  Vaccines, medicine and sanitation alone could account for the increase as well as a better understanding of food in the diet.  There is a very real chance Billy that the next generation of kids will have a shorter life span than ours due to poor eating habits.  This is not alarmist rhetoric designed to take over anything.  Look it up, it's scary and it's true.  
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
FU slave!   I'll make my own decisions without having that communist asshole and his chewbacca wife in my fridge.   

Who said you couldn't eat what you want?  Wasn't me.  All i believe in is full disclosure.  Now about eating that gun you stool pushing monkey...get to it!
Abandon every hope...

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
You and i know that Billy but that doesn't stop Mcdonalds advertising with athletes, doesn't stop the corn lobby from claiming high fructose corn syrup is the same as sugar cane, all that does it implicitly tell people that 'hey it's okay to eat a big mac michael jordan did' or 'HFCS? that's just sugar lets eat it' without understanding and knowing the real facts behind those foods and what they can do to you.

BMI is stupid i agree.  But obesity is a very real problem life spans have increased because of technological advances in vaccines, medicine, a regular supply of food and sanitation.  Seriously.  Vaccines, medicine and sanitation alone could account for the increase as well as a better understanding of food in the diet.  There is a very real chance Billy that the next generation of kids will have a shorter life span than ours due to poor eating habits.  This is not alarmist rhetoric designed to take over anything.  Look it up, it's scary and it's true.  

The article wasn't about health though KC; it was about telling restaraunts to cut back on sodium not full disclosure.  While you have a point about giving people that full disclosure this is clearly government taking control of private businesses(once again) and telling them what to do.  It would be one thing if the sodium content was some how put on menus, but to tell restaraunts what they can put into their food is another.  This is too much control and is not about disclosure...while I wish it was because I do like to look at the nutrition facts(the bodybuilder in me) I don't like the idea of more government intrusion.  I also don't agree with the sin tax either but that if for another conversation.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

Here is where we disagree.There are two sides of this isue.YES obesity is a problem.You have one group who say "its because of diet".However,in my opinion ,kids are getting fatter because they dont go outside and play anymore.They stay in their house and play x-box.Now,diet will make you fat IF you sit on your big fat ass and dont do anything.But if your kid is out playing,I dont care what they eat,they wont be fat[a few would but you know what I mean]

When I was a kid,black kids[I use them because their diets were awful] used to be eating barbq chips and nehi grape sodas for breakfast,eat the school lunch for lunch and then go home and eat ribs and every other type of greassy thing you could eat.They were never fat.Why?they were always playing.

So,obesity is a problem,but in my opinion its not diet or super  sized foods or chips or cookies,its that kids are fat lazy asses that dont do a fucking thing but sit in front of their gamme systems and dont ever move.My kis has been training since he was 7 years old,he is not allowed to play video games during the week,he eats like crap,the kid is ripped.Make these kids play,have schools have recess,put in more rec leagues and intamurel leagues for the kids that arent god enough to make teams they wont get fat.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
I totally support these measures.  Sodium content in our foods is out of control, especially in restaurants.  I believe in full disclosure of what amounts they put into the food we eat and strict regulation on overuse of sodium, certain fats and other nasty concoctions that can shorten life
full disclosure is one thing youve said time and time again in this thread that you feel you should still be able to eat what you want but you made this comment first...THATS NOT eating what you want...that my friend is the govt telling you what you can eat...

if you feel that way about it then EAT AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! its that simple

I agree that ppl are misinformed about basic nutrition and fitness I think that is painfully obvious but NO its not the govts place to regulate what ppl can eat, fine educate but dont over regulate shit...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:51 PM »

This is about regulating content, not disclosure. 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
Re: FDA should regulate salt, panel says.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
Every restaurant I've been to has salt and pepper shakers so there is nothing stopping anyone putting back the salt they took out back into their meals. Move on this is a good idea.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
This will greatly increase the cost of food. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Every restaurant I've been to has salt and pepper shakers so there is nothing stopping anyone putting back the salt they took out back into their meals. Move on this is a good idea.
also nothing stopping you from asking for no salt...

not the govt place to regulate what you can and cant eat...

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »

fairly hard to do that when some items are manufactured with salt included

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
This will greatly increase the cost of food. 

No it won't - how can not adding something to food increase it's cost?

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »

the government isn't doing that - as i said you can add as much salt as you like with out fear of imprisonment