Author Topic: Dr Squat Fred Hatfield  (Read 13570 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Dr Squat Fred Hatfield
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
Re: Dr Squat Fred Hatfield
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
 :o

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
 :D

Swlabr

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
Strong guy, all the way strong guy.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
He was great in Beverly Hills Cop. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »

"Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!"

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »

this is funny cuz i get it

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
A young Dr Squat and the whole crew

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
 ;D

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
His book, "Bodybuilding a scientific approach" was one of the first books I read as a young bodybuilder that actually taught me something. He was way ahead of his time as a writer. For any of the guys that are starting out, get a copy. It is awesome.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
Is there anything to this? ???

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
a real strong man both physically and intellectually

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
His book, "Bodybuilding a scientific approach" was one of the first books I read as a young bodybuilder that actually taught me something. He was way ahead of his time as a writer. For any of the guys that are starting out, get a copy. It is awesome.

He has a couple of versions. I have both. The man does like graphs and such.

Mike Mentzer also thought he took a "scientific" approach, problem is, Mike's was more of a dogmatic "objective" (Ayn Rand) and philosophical approach...  not to mention the fact that his *approach* was NOT what put on his muscle. He should have written a book on Dan Duchaine instead.... ::)  ~ Mike loved to use big words... so big, that most peeps might need a dictionary to decipher them.

Instead of redundant he would say "tautological" - things like that. He also used many analogies whereas Fred Hatfield used scientific logic.

I think one of my favorite books is by Yessis. "The Kinesiology of Exercise" that and some of Brainum's stuff and maybe a little of John Littles. John Little was into much more than just bodybuilding.

Arthur Jones was kind of a whack job, but he did have some great insight. I still find myself paging through Arnies Encyclopedia from time to time.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
A face only a mother could love.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

Lol...he does look like that bastard.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
Dr Fred seems kind of anal.  :-\

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
Dr Fred seems kind of anal.  :-\

Graphs of the sphincter...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »
I met Fred in Sydney many years ago. We had a brief chat about hypertrophy. I convinced him of nothing at all! One of the few in the game with a PhD degree....and in philosophy.

From his site: http://drsquat.com/home

"Who is Dr. Squat?

Dr. Frederick C. Hatfield earned his doctorate in philosophy from Temple University with competency examinations taken in sport psychology, motor learning and sport sociology.

Dr. Hatfield is President of the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA), a major provider of continuing education and a certifying agency for sports training, fitness therapy and personal fitness trainer professionals. Under his direction, Fort Hood (Texas) has implemented an ISSA certifying protocol for the U.S. Army. He is frequently retained by law firms to serve as an expert witness in fitness and sports training-related litigation.

He has provided research and development and marketing consultation to several nutritional and fitness equipment manufacturers and other fitness-related corporations around the world. He has been both a principal in, and consultant to, numerous commercial enterprises involved in fitness, nutrition, publishing and education since 1970, and has been directly involved in establishing and consulting for numerous health and fitness clubs across the U.S. He has taught sports psychology, strength physiology, and physical education at the University of Wisconsin, Newark State College, Bowie State College, Temple University and the University of Illinois.

Early in his career he was cited in "Who's Who in American Education," and voted "Outstanding Young Men in America." He was a consultant to the U.S. Olympic Committee, the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB), the West German Bodybuilding Federation, Australian Powerlifting Federation, FOX Network and CBS Sports. He was coach three times for the U.S. National Powerlifting team and a member of the executive committees of the U.S. Olympic Weightlifting Federation and U.S. Powerlifting Federation.

The founding editor of Sports Fitness magazine (now Men’s Fitness), he has written more than 60 books and over 200 articles on sports fitness, weight training and athletic nutrition. He is a former standout college gymnast, Mr. Teenage Connecticut, Mr. Atlantic Coast and Mr. Mid America in bodybuilding, Wisconsin and Connecticut weightlifting champion, broken over 30 world records as a powerlifter competing in five different weight divisions, and won the World Championships in powerlifting three times in three different weight divisions. In 1987, at the age of 45, Hatfield established a world record in the squat at 1014 pounds (255 body weight), the most anyone had ever lifted in the history of competition. His frequent world record-breaking performances have gained him the nickname of "Dr. Squat." He remained competitive in Masters Level Olympic Weightlifting until recently, having represented the USA in the 1998 World Masters Games in Oregon. In June of 2000, Dr. Hatfield was inducted into the Powerlifting Hall of Fame, located in York, PA. "

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
Cripes, Vince. 

Phd = Doctor of Philosophy. As to his discipline/department, it isn't mentioned in what you cited, but it would not be a Uni's Philosophy Dep't. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
I am still waiting for a true authority on hypertrophy who is both a bodybuilder and has a PhD in the discipline. We might wait for a very long time to see this combination.

It amuses me how people get a PhD then write about all manner of things they are not truly expert in. Darden got his in mud therapy. I can't imagine any subject further
removed from hypertrophy. Todd and Reynolds didn't do theirs in sports science, either.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:56:27 AM »
I am still waiting for a true authority on hypertrophy who is both a bodybuilder and has a PhD in the discipline. We might wait for a very long time to see this combination.

It amuses me how people get a PhD then write about all manner of things they are not truly expert in. Darden got his in mud therapy. I can't imagine any subject further
removed from hypertrophy. Todd and Reynolds didn't do theirs in sports science, either.

You're just gonna keep yapping about PhD's like a broken record and never lay out your hypertrophy "philosophy", are you?

You like to associate yourself with scientists, doctors, professors etc as if that gives you any merit... but in the end you either put up, or shut up. You're full of hot air.
from incomplete data