Author Topic: Insulin? Risk vs. Reward?!  (Read 21368 times)

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Insulin? Risk vs. Reward?!
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
carbs intake isnt what will make you fat with insulin, its fat intake that will do it.

Exactly

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »
what would you speculate the reason behind such a low doseage beiing effective  would be ?   in your opinion at what level would insulin become supraphysiological  ?

I don't know is my answer to both questions.  :-\ I could search for the second question but I'm too damn lazy right now. You would have to look at peak plasma levels and total insulin released (area under curve etc) and then check how something like Humalog compares to endo insulin (since it's like an analog). Still, I'm pretty sure a normal person can release the equivalent of that as a response to a heavy glucose load. I mean, some get away with 5 grams of carbs per IU insulin (i.e 100 grams for 20IU injected) so it's not that huge of a dosage.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »
I take 20 IU preworkout and consume about 400 grams of carbs within that two hour period and don't get fat.  In fact, I stay very lean this way.  It's the only time I really eat carbs.

Sounds insane  :D

I guess you are a very experienced user. I take it very.. very slow. I take a good amount of carbs after my shot, and i still feel a hypo coming up at the 2h peak of humalog.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »

I guess you are a very experienced user. I take it very.. very slow. I take a good amount of carbs after my shot, and i still feel a hypo coming up at the 2h peak of humalog.

I feel going hypo is a timing issue a lot of times, rather than total carb issue. For example, if sipping a few grams of glucose solution every 10 minutes or eating a glucose tab (after eating a larger amount in conjunction with the shot of course) I never go hypo even if I've gone hypo eating more carbs total previously. This is IME and not a recommendation in any way. Kids stay away from it.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2008, 02:13:54 PM »

abc123 can be a bit exhuberant at times....

Sometimes he needs to err on the side of caution.   ::)

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »
I feel going hypo is a timing issue a lot of times, rather than total carb issue. For example, if sipping a few grams of glucose solution every 10 minutes or eating a glucose tab (after eating a larger amount in conjunction with the shot of course) I never go hypo even if I've gone hypo eating more carbs total previously. This is IME and not a recommendation in any way. Kids stay away from it.
yes exactly ! insulin is prsent and acting every minute from onset through the peak all the way untill it clears the system. having one or two or three drinks (one or two or three shakes) makes no sense, since insulin isnt active at only 1,2, or 3 times !    it makes much much more sense to slowly sip on the carb intake all the way through the active life of the insulin, rather than to take the entire carb intake in just 1 2 or 3 drinks.

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2008, 03:12:58 AM »
yes exactly ! insulin is prsent and acting every minute from onset through the peak all the way untill it clears the system. having one or two or three drinks (one or two or three shakes) makes no sense, since insulin isnt active at only 1,2, or 3 times !    it makes much much more sense to slowly sip on the carb intake all the way through the active life of the insulin, rather than to take the entire carb intake in just 1 2 or 3 drinks.

That's basically the way I do it.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2008, 11:33:58 AM »
I feel going hypo is a timing issue a lot of times, rather than total carb issue.

Agreed, with Humalog you have about a 3-5 hour window you should make sure you're keeping an eye on your blood sugar levels.