Author Topic: Phil Hernon... what did he accomplish?  (Read 18906 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Phil Hernon... what did he accomplish?
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
Other than nothing?

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
Re: Phil Hernon... what did he accomplish?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
1. Phil made Titus meltdown on stage and is still alive to tell the tale.
2. Won the overall at the 1995 USA to earn his pro card.
3. Is the 'House Pro' at ProfessionalMuscle.com.
4. Openly talks about his AAS usage.
5. Has a great sense of humor.
6. Has one friend on his Bodyspace page.
7. Served time in prison without being offered a job by MD.
8. Is still a tank at a lean 5'8 260.
9. Can bench more than you.
10. Beat Gary Kasparov at chess during a 1992 simul in Lake Geneva, NY after Kasparov blundered his queen on 6. QA4.
BigNationRadio.com

noc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:57 PM »
the 1 to 10 master strikes again, he knows no limits

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
I saw a nun naked today.
$

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »
what does any bodybuilder accomplish?  they workout hoping to achieve personal goals, then they become the big guy at the gym.  maybe they compete and maybe not.  what about professional goals or a family.  it used to be mr. america, mr universe.

now, most bodybuilders are waiting to be arrested for possession of one drug or another.  bring the sport back into focus.  it is not worth dying over.

the "arnold" generation had more class and comraderie.  if you recall, Merv Griffin often had a few bodybuilder on his show.  wide world of sports used to have bodybuilding competitions.  now, we see arrests and investigations.

if you were outside the sport, it was a mystery as to how these people got so large.  its out on the table now, its time to change.

what have you accomplished...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
did he really go to jail?  for what?

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »
did he really go to jail?  for what?

Steroids.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 03:10:16 PM »
3. Is the 'House Pro' at ProfessionalMuscle.com.
4. Openly talks about his AAS usage.
5. Has a great sense of humor.

He lacks internet etiquette. He has pissed off most on that board. He doesn't actually share much info at all, and when he does it's something worthless typed IN ALL CAPS MODE.

Now he sells liquid beef protein and OTC designer steroids. The liquid beef protein is vastly superior to any other protein out there, 1 gram of that stuff probably equals 15 grams of whey.

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
He lacks internet etiquette. He has pissed off most on that board. He doesn't actually share much info at all, and when he does it's something worthless typed IN ALL CAPS MODE.

Now he sells liquid beef protein and OTC designer steroids. The liquid beef protein is vastly superior to any other protein out there, 1 gram of that stuff probably equals 15 grams of whey.

I have to agree on some things here. I just dont accept his views on usage in today's time. In fact I dont accept what he says he was doing back then either. And yeah, he comes off like a dick sometimes.
But I guess he is a pretty good trainer and one to have in your conrner as a competitor. Paying I'm sure........

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:27:52 PM »
Other than nothing?

And you have accomplished what exactly?  ::) ::)

I'd say acquiring pro status and being awarded 1 of 7 pro cards awarded to approximately 20,000 competetive amateur bodybuilders within a given year is quite and accomplishment.  Though this may not be viewed as much to some of you out there, as a fellow competitor who has come close a few times, I respect Phil's accomplishment.  Whether or not he took it to another level is irrelevant, whether or not he's succeeded at other endeavors is not my business, nor yours for that matter.  Btw, if your going to get caught up on how successful you are at your chosen field, save it! Really this is a bodybuilding forum.

Carlo

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »
carlo,

I think bodybuilding was more attainable in the 70's and we could get that big.  I dont think thats true today.  Compare physiques, which is more appealing.  We love and admire our bodybuilders, but I certainly dont want them to die trying. 

When I bought Pumping Iron in 1976, I hid it so my friends didnt think I was weird.  Now everyone is a bodybuilder.

Looking backwards, does Phil think it was worth going to prison for...

I always wondered why a champion bodybuilder would disappear after he was a champ, now I know...

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »
ask Kris Dim...hope he makes a full recovery. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30:07 PM »

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
carlo,

I think bodybuilding was more attainable in the 70's and we could get that big.  I dont think thats true today.  Compare physiques, which is more appealing.  We love and admire our bodybuilders, but I certainly dont want them to die trying. 

When I bought Pumping Iron in 1976, I hid it so my friends didnt think I was weird.  Now everyone is a bodybuilder.

Looking backwards, does Phil think it was worth going to prison for...

I always wondered why a champion bodybuilder would disappear after he was a champ, now I know...

Bodybuilding was certainly more attainable in the 70's.  Why do you feel it is not true today?  Not every bodybuilder is 5'8" 250 lbs.  I have been training since 1991, competing since 1992, I have chosen to remain the size I am today, approximately 180-190lbs in the offseason and compete at 165-170lbs.  There is no doubt in my mind if I overdid the supplements, as many do, I to would have a distended abdomen like many others.  You say everyone is a bodybuilder today, this is true, but look at who considers themselves bodybuilders...  You have 21 year old kids in clubs using steroids to get into shape while drinking alcohol, sniffing coke, taking ghb, extasy and ketamin, all at the same time!  I know because I see it with my own eyes.  You have plenty of wonderful physiques today, which are still appealing, unfortunately the mags don't cater to the smaller guys.  I am one of the few fortunate ones who is smaller and gets in the books.  Today, you need to pick up and Exercise for men or Reps magazine in order to view photos of "mainstream appealing" physiques.

I cannot answer for Phil as to whether or not it was worth it, but do not be surprised if he indeed deemed it worth it.  Remember, back in the 70's no one got arrested.  Why?  It was not illegall!  Do you believe for a minute that if the laws were the same then as today that the good ol' boys would not be arrested?  Please.?  When the steroids were being used back in the day, the athletes were taking them by the handful, right in the gym after their workouts!  Nobody bothered them because they were not controlled substances.   If you think for a second that Arnold, Franco, Louie et al used any less than the bodybuilders today, your nuts.  That's not to say that today there are more of a variety of chemicals available as science has progressed, so have the athletes.  Today, the advent of insulin, IGF-1, growth hormone, etc. has changed the physiques, not the steroids.  Also, the eating!  The boys back then never ate as much as today's bodybuilders, again, science, the more protein consumed the more muscle gained etc. 

Not all champions disappear because they get arrested by the way.  Phil chose his path.  The bottom line is, in my opinion, there is a way to avoid the health risks... I personally get my bloodwork done anywhere from 4-6 times per year.  My life and vital organs are of utmost importance to me.  I do however have a competetive nature and desire to turn pro.  I will do everything "within reason" to get that pro card.

Carlo

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 11:37:18 PM »

I'd say acquiring pro status and being awarded 1 of 7 pro cards awarded to approximately 20,000 competetive amateur bodybuilders within a given year is quite and accomplishment.  Though this may not be viewed as much to some of you out there, as a fellow competitor who has come close a few times, I respect Phil's accomplishment.  Whether or not he took it to another level is irrelevant, whether or not he's succeeded at other endeavors is not my business, nor yours for that matter.  Btw, if your going to get caught up on how successful you are at your chosen field, save it! Really this is a bodybuilding forum.

Carlo

Great post, Carlo.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:29:35 AM »
Carlos,

You answered my question and dont realize it, the kids want to look like the bodybuilders in MD and Flex.  You just told me what they are taking.  I believe you because friends of mine take all kinds of stuff and they never intend on competing.

I started lifting in 1972 because I admired bodybuilders at the time, I now weigh 230lbs.  I have gone up to 248 on one occasion. 

I am 51 on the 19th of this month and hope going to jail or dying for a sport changes.  You certainly dont see professionals dying to become the best lawyer or saleman, do you.  Please, dont make going to jail attractive to young readers, its a big mistake that can end a dream of a government or military career.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

Let's see..  A master's degree.  Avoiding a prison sentence.  Avoiding possibly ruining my health.

Let's get real.  As you say it is a bodybuilding forum, which is why I asked what he accomplished.  He got a pro card... and then what????   Isn't that like an attorney passing the bar and then never winning a case?

Now please go ahead and compare my lack of a pro card vs the one he has.  That is about the standard response you have to fall back on.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
Let's get real.  As you say it is a bodybuilding forum, which is why I asked what he accomplished.  He got a pro card... and then what????   Isn't that like an attorney passing the bar and then never winning a case?
Only 4-5% of lawyers are trial attorneys who have ever tried a case in court. Most just sit behind a desk with stacks of papers and dream of how their life would have been different if they had only picked up that Pro Card.
BigNationRadio.com

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 08:46:13 AM »
Only 4-5% of lawyers are trial attorneys who have ever tried a case in court. Most just sit behind a desk with stacks of papers and dream of how their life would have been different if they had only picked up that Pro Card.

Please stop owning LurkerNoMore.  It's too painful to watch.  :'(

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »
hahah aint that the truth .....minus the 'pro card'
The Number 2 in Scranton

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
Let's see..  A master's degree.  Avoiding a prison sentence.  Avoiding possibly ruining my health.

Now please go ahead and compare my lack of a pro card vs the one he has.  That is about the standard response you have to fall back on.

hahaha, what a joke, you are comparing a masters degree....something many thousand and thousands, actually hundreds of thousands get every single year to something only 1 person or 5 (weight classes) gets every year, the Usa title.

You basically had the comfortable enviornment to continue going to school while other people had to work 8 hours a day, live in and pay for their own place,  pay their own bills/food etc.

I've known so many people with maters degrees...it basically is the minimum level education if you want a good job today.  My own wife almost has a doctorate and earns 50 something thousand a year as a speech path....

Degrees don't mean what they did in the 70's.

hahahaha, I'm cracking up...you compare a masters to the usa accomplishment.  just to remind you, a true acomplishment is something that is difficult to obtain....if hundreds of thousand are obtaining it every year it doesn't require much, except the opportunity.

Hope you just learned something, even though your out of school.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Other than nothing?

A physique that was better than 99.99999% of everyone that attempts to be a bodybuilder.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
Comparing winning a pro card to someone who has no desire to even compete simply makes your comparision irrelevant.

Likewise the assumption that I had a "comfortable environment" in order to get a Masters.  Completely irrelevant since you know nothing of me, nor any other factors you are attempting to espouse in your little rant.  But thanks for playing.

Now onto to what I originally posted...  what's he accomplished since turning pro.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 12:50:13 PM »
Please stop owning LurkerNoMore.  It's too painful to watch.  :'(

Actually, I am LOLing WITH Special Ed...

Detecting sarcasm is a basic reading comprehension skill you know.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
i got my masters and considered the phd program, but i just wasn't down with the levels of drug use, g4p, and agromegaly.