Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 604661 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #1500 on: April 09, 2020, 04:17:33 AM »

Most people would consider that Tom Platz had the best legs of Arnold's generation. I would include Sergio Oliva as well.

I try to be precise with my language that's why I specifically stated "during Arnold's prime years (1970-74)". Platz is not from Arnold's generation. Jeeze man, I thought this would be obvious to you. It certainly is for everybody else.

Also, I specifically stated "best overall" leg development. Sergio had bigger quads but not as conditioned and separated as Arnold's were. And Arnold's calves were in a different league from Sergio's. No one had calves like that during his Olympian reign.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1501 on: April 09, 2020, 04:27:36 AM »
Didnt realize Arnies calves were that good.

Carry on then.

Holy cow! His calves were legendary! And he talked about it in his first autobiography
how he focused on it and what he did when staying with Reg Parker. Didn't you see Pumping Iron?

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1502 on: April 09, 2020, 08:18:45 AM »
                     People people people. When working out. Everything works!  For awhile. No matter if its volume heavy duty 6 days 2 days etc. A beginner doesn't need 10 sets nor do they need complete and total failure. As we advance in workouts our bodies adapt to EVERYTHING we try. That's why workouts need to be changed around. No matter what type you do you need to change things around sometimes. Back in the day the guys would train heavy, less sets, less reps ,less days a week. They were trying to build "bulk". But at the same time their body was resting more and recuperating. Their diets were not strict then either. But then as a contest or summer approached they would up the intensity, increase the sets, reps and days.( and of course take more steroids then too). Most didn't need or do cardio because the amount of weight training they did burned off the fat.

None trained in any one way for the entire year nor dieted nor took the amount of drugs. In fact alot would come off completely until training for a show.  And those type were actually training very smart by switching training routines, style, intensity,diet etc. They were shocking their bodies into growth. No one can grow forever no matter what type of routine you use. And their bodies all looked different from one another. Is volume training really "over-training"  Is extreme heavy duty over- training"? Do we even know if over-training really exists? ( swimmers gymnasts track people etc all "over-train but yet they look great and excel in their sport) Does the human body really need to rest for days after workouts? Isn't the human body able to do remarkable things? Back in the day after a farmer worked 16 hours digging a ditch busting rocks and cutting wood did he say "hey i need to rest for a week because I over-trained.  No. I am not saying over - training doesn't exist because i believe it does but do we really know? The barbarian brothers used to say their is no over training just under eating and under sleeping.  maybe they were right. But then again the great Dan Duchaine had said that steroids work best on an "over trained " body. So its my belief that there is no one way to workout no matter what some may think. All workouts will work but all workouts will stop giving results eventually.NO you dont do 50 sets when 20 sets stop working. And no you don't do heavy duty until your eyes blow out either. A smart body builder will change routines from time to time to keep getting results or at least to get some rest while maintaining. And some body parts will respond better to certain ways of training . ( some need high reps ,some low and heavy ,some need more sets, some need fewer etc) If you focused on one body part and it grew may not mean your way of training was the best it could mean that you focused on that body part, made it a priority and it grew. Could be arms ,chest, calves etc. Doesn't matter. Pay attention to a lagging body part give it 100%, train it first before your better body parts and watch what happens. Pellius keeps referring to calves as being almost "universally difficult" to build.  But are they really? Back in the day very few guys had good calves ( white or black. And in fact they used to say blacks couldn't build calves) But people always trained calves last in their routines (if at all) . Arnold made his a priority. He focused on them. He worked them first 6 days a week.He used ALOT OF WEIGHT. Now look at calves on most modern guys. They all have them. (even blacks) So i don't think they are that hard to build IF someone really wants to put forth the effort                                
                                       Again I always say find what works for you. Dont get all hung up on this or that. Have an open mind and really put forth the effort. It's kinda like a chevy guy who drives a ford. No matter how good the ford has been he will hate it. Same way with some bodybuilders. They refuse to give 100% in to a new routine because they are to stubborn thinking that only this way works ( on paper anyways). That's why Arnold was so great. He did what worked. The guys back then didn't need studies or graphs or experts". They watched and listened to their bodies and of course had help too. Building muscle is not difficult once we all learn our limits are decided by genetics.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1503 on: April 09, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
                    People people people. When working out. Everything works!  For awhile. No matter if its volume heavy duty 6 days 2 days etc. A beginner doesn't need 10 sets nor do they need complete and total failure. As we advance in workouts our bodies adapt to EVERYTHING we try. That's why workouts need to be changed around. No matter what type you do you need to change things around sometimes. Back in the day the guys would train heavy, less sets, less reps ,less days a week. They were trying to build "bulk". But at the same time their body was resting more and recuperating. Their diets were not strict then either. But then as a contest or summer approached they would up the intensity, increase the sets, reps and days.( and of course take more steroids then too). Most didn't need or do cardio because the amount of weight training they did burned off the fat.

None trained in any one way for the entire year nor dieted nor took the amount of drugs. In fact alot would come off completely until training for a show.  And those type were actually training very smart by switching training routines, style, intensity,diet etc. They were shocking their bodies into growth. No one can grow forever no matter what type of routine you use. And their bodies all looked different from one another. Is volume training really "over-training"  Is extreme heavy duty over- training"? Do we even know if over-training really exists? ( swimmers gymnasts track people etc all "over-train but yet they look great and excel in their sport) Does the human body really need to rest for days after workouts? Isn't the human body able to do remarkable things? Back in the day after a farmer worked 16 hours digging a ditch busting rocks and cutting wood did he say "hey i need to rest for a week because I over-trained.  No. I am not saying over - training doesn't exist because i believe it does but do we really know? The barbarian brothers used to say their is no over training just under eating and under sleeping.  maybe they were right. But then again the great Dan Duchaine had said that steroids work best on an "over trained " body. So its my belief that there is no one way to workout no matter what some may think. All workouts will work but all workouts will stop giving results eventually.NO you dont do 50 sets when 20 sets stop working. And no you don't do heavy duty until your eyes blow out either. A smart body builder will change routines from time to time to keep getting results or at least to get some rest while maintaining. And some body parts will respond better to certain ways of training . ( some need high reps ,some low and heavy ,some need more sets, some need fewer etc) If you focused on one body part and it grew may not mean your way of training was the best it could mean that you focused on that body part, made it a priority and it grew. Could be arms ,chest, calves etc. Doesn't matter. Pay attention to a lagging body part give it 100%, train it first before your better body parts and watch what happens. Pellius keeps referring to calves as being almost "universally difficult" to build.  But are they really? Back in the day very few guys had good calves ( white or black. And in fact they used to say blacks couldn't build calves) But people always trained calves last in their routines (if at all) . Arnold made his a priority. He focused on them. He worked them first 6 days a week.He used ALOT OF WEIGHT. Now look at calves on most modern guys. They all have them. (even blacks) So i don't think they are that hard to build IF someone really wants to put forth the effort                                
                                       Again I always say find what works for you. Dont get all hung up on this or that. Have an open mind and really put forth the effort. It's kinda like a chevy guy who drives a ford. No matter how good the ford has been he will hate it. Same way with some bodybuilders. They refuse to give 100% in to a new routine because they are to stubborn thinking that only this way works ( on paper anyways). That's why Arnold was so great. He did what worked. The guys back then didn't need studies or graphs or experts". They watched and listened to their bodies and of course had help too. Building muscle is not difficult once we all learn our limits are decided by genetics.                                

Let us do a thought experiment. Let us assume that what you posted above is true. Well, what theory can one derive from all of that? That is what I have been looking for. If building muscle is not difficult then why do so many fail to develop huge muscles? Should one try many different methods and protocols and keep track of which ones give results? Then mix things up when gains cease? What is this 'listening to their bodies' thing?

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1504 on: April 09, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
Seriously?  GENETICS !  That's the real key to building big muscles. Next comes training. Do you push it or lazily do a few light weight reps?  Do you eat proper? Do you sleep well? And of course do you use drugs. That's what builds muscle. But the muscle size and how soon they grow are all from GENETICS.  And listening to your body is knowing when your working into the "pain zone" and beyond or if you just stop cuz its "hurting". If you get run down and don't feel well then take a day off But learn the difference in being tired/wore out and just being plain ole lazy. Also if you don't like the way a certain exercise feels then don't do it. Find something you like. If you don't like benches then don't do them. just because others do them and get great results does not mean you have to do them. Try things out.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1505 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »
Also why are you looking for a "protocol" ? A blue print to follow?  It doesn't work that way. You can follow a routine  exactly that someone else said they used and you wont gain anything. What works for me may not work for you. And don't wait ten years to switch from bench to inclines ( as an example).  If something hasn't made a change in your body ( muscle size, strength etc) in a few weeks or months then look at what your doing. If you can say  with all honesty that you have been pushing into the pain zone, eating right, sleeping right and using the right drugs ( if you use drugs) then switch things around. That's why keeping a workout journal can be helpful. Alot of pros say they do or have kept one but they are really lying. They have great response ( genetics and drugs) to any type of workout.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1506 on: April 10, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »

^^

By FAR one of the BEST statements ever on GetBig- BRAVO!!!!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1507 on: April 10, 2020, 01:24:48 AM »
Seriously?  GENETICS !  That's the real key to building big muscles. Next comes training. Do you push it or lazily do a few light weight reps?  Do you eat proper? Do you sleep well? And of course do you use drugs. That's what builds muscle. But the muscle size and how soon they grow are all from GENETICS.  And listening to your body is knowing when your working into the "pain zone" and beyond or if you just stop cuz its "hurting". If you get run down and don't feel well then take a day off But learn the difference in being tired/wore out and just being plain ole lazy. Also if you don't like the way a certain exercise feels then don't do it. Find something you like. If you don't like benches then don't do them. just because others do them and get great results does not mean you have to do them. Try things out.

I hear that Genetics is the key to bodybuilding.  The problem is who knows what potential for muscles that the genes hold? A narrow guy like Larry Scott didn't look like he had the genetics. He found ways to train that delivered extra size. Also, steroids and other drugs aren't something anyone should have to take just to get as big as possible. If you eliminate drugs then training protocols, equipment and everything else matter a lot. So, what does the average guy do with ordinary genetics and no drugs?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1508 on: April 10, 2020, 02:44:04 AM »
Also why are you looking for a "protocol" ? A blue print to follow?  It doesn't work that way. You can follow a routine  exactly that someone else said they used and you wont gain anything. What works for me may not work for you. And don't wait ten years to switch from bench to inclines ( as an example).  If something hasn't made a change in your body ( muscle size, strength etc) in a few weeks or months then look at what your doing. If you can say  with all honesty that you have been pushing into the pain zone, eating right, sleeping right and using the right drugs ( if you use drugs) then switch things around. That's why keeping a workout journal can be helpful. Alot of pros say they do or have kept one but they are really lying. They have great response ( genetics and drugs) to any type of workout.

You suggest that trial and error is the way to get big. That surely can't be the method? Guys have been getting big for 80 years at least. Some methods and protocols must be superior to others.

This do what works for you doesn't tell us what we have to do except experiment. Bodybuilding on one level is fairly straight forward. We all know that. Lift and get bigger. So far so good.

What to do when plateaus are reached and nothing seems to work? At any one time, when gyms were open, perhaps more than 80 % were not growing significantly. The result is guys blasting

away for years and years and not changing much at all.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #1509 on: April 10, 2020, 02:51:02 AM »

You suggest that trial and error is the way to get big. That surely can't be the method? Guys have been getting big for 80 years at least. Some methods and protocols must be superior to others.

This do what works for you doesn't tell us what we have to do except experiment. Bodybuilding on one level is fairly straight forward. We all know that. Lift and get bigger. So far so good.

What to do when plateaus are reached and nothing seems to work? At any one time, when gyms were open, perhaps more than 80 % were not growing significantly. The result is guys blasting away for years and years and not changing much at all.

As a natural, at a point when a certain level is reached, doesn't it become more about maintaining?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1510 on: April 10, 2020, 05:39:43 AM »
First off as much as I'm amazed and follow steroid bodybuilding should we take training advice from a guy that looks like shit off of drugs?  Where did the work ethic and training knowledge go?  Should a guy brag about his physique with pictures here when it's a drug picture?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1511 on: April 10, 2020, 05:40:32 AM »
More

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1512 on: April 10, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
Please Lets stop ruining this unique Arnold 1980 thread !!!!

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHH  Than You

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1513 on: April 10, 2020, 06:53:25 AM »
WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHH

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1514 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
An account on Instagram bodybuilding70's has a few pics of Arnold I had never seen ( https://www.instagram.com/p/B-U_0IODJUo/ )

"The backdoor of Gold's Gym 1006 Pacific Ave... This is around 1970-72, because the top "vented" windows in front are still operational AND the BIG windows in front are still operational, Ken Sprague boarded up the big windows and I believe Dave Sachs, the previous owner (between Joe and Ken) boarded up the top vented windows... "

J

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1515 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:18 AM »
An account on Instagram bodybuilding70's has a few pics of Arnold I had never seen ( https://www.instagram.com/p/B-U_0IODJUo/ )

"The backdoor of Gold's Gym 1006 Pacific Ave... This is around 1970-72, because the top "vented" windows in front are still operational AND the BIG windows in front are still operational, Ken Sprague boarded up the big windows and I believe Dave Sachs, the previous owner (between Joe and Ken) boarded up the top vented windows... "

J

still to this day the most profilic bber to ever live he was and is its biggest star/promoter ever.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1516 on: April 10, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #1517 on: April 10, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »
Great pictures! Keep them coming

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1518 on: April 10, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »

J

That's a great pic of Denny Gable with Arnold. Always liked his physique. Here's another one- and of course Arnold's calves :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1519 on: April 10, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
Current pro's couldn't stand next to this without looking like crap with their soft bloated muscle and big waist.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1520 on: April 10, 2020, 05:22:18 PM »
That's a great pic of Denny Gable with Arnold. Always liked his physique. Here's another one- and of course Arnold's calves :)

Always, good to see them training barefoot. Coming from Hawaii I trained that way for about ten years. When I moved to the mainland there was a guy at Barlow's gym in Torrance, Ca. always hated that I trained without shoes. When James Barlow passed away this guy bought the gym and mandated that everyone has to wear shoes.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1521 on: April 10, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »
 ;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1522 on: April 10, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
How come Franco was allowed backstage in 1980? He even came out during the judging to assist Arnold. Ah, the good old days.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1523 on: April 10, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
Danny Padilla. Uncompared, uncrowned Mr Olympia 1980!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1524 on: April 10, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »
This is what quality muscle looks like.