Author Topic: Haider's Training Journal  (Read 167471 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Haider's Training Journal
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:33 AM »
Friday, November 2nd, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press <alternated w/> Bench Supported Db Rows:
95 x 8  <alt. w/> 55's x 5
115 x 6 <alt. w/> 70's x 5
150 x 4 <alt. w/> 70's x 5
180 x 5 <alt. w/> 70's x 5
180 x 5 (slighly closer grip) <alt. w/> -------
180 x 5 <alt. w/> -------
1-legged Barbell Squats*
100 x 15
100 x 15... hard
Strict Db Laterals**<supersetted w/> Seated Rope Face Pulls
5 x 12 <ss> #3 x 12
5 x 15 <ss> #3 x 12
Glute Ham Raises*** <alternated w/> Db Shrugs
BW-(#1.5) x 6-7 <alt w/> 55's x 15
BW-(#2) x 8 <alt w/> 55's x 15
Lying Db Extensions <supersetted with> Db Curls
25's x 10 <ss> 25's x 15
25's x 10 <ss> 25's x 15....tough  ;D

*Also known as Bulgarian Split Squats
** Moving with elbows only!
***Setup's on a Lat pulldown machine, assistance from weight stack.

Didnt really feel like working out but went ahead with it and pulled a decent one...workout speed suffered because of lower focus but managed to finish within 1.5 hrs.

Benching was good for the most part until I decided I wanted to try a wider grip on the last set...for some reason I kept hitting the pins when I used the grip, my set got messed up after the 1st and 2nd rep. After resetting for it, I was pretty fatigued but managed to push out 3 more reps...next time I will stay at the same weight.

The 1-legged sqts are still much harder for the right leg, lol..weird. I cant wait till I can do GHR's with bodyweight with ease, this setup is a little annoying. Shoulders are nice and sore from the facepull/side lateral combo today  :) Finished up with arms real quick and pulled two PR's there ;D

Will be decreasing reps for some exercises soon 8)
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
Don't you find 1.5 hours harsh?

I used to do that some time ago when I used to work out with a group.

Now a days it's 45 minutes solo, better shape than I've ever been in.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
Don't you find 1.5 hours harsh?

I used to do that some time ago when I used to work out with a group.

Now a days it's 45 minutes solo, better shape than I've ever been in.
nah Im used to 1.5 hrs, I know I need to cut that down though.. I hope to be able to complete my workouts to 70 minutes as I continue to improve my efficiency in the gym. Keep in mind I have been out of the gym for quite a while now, but I'm quickly getting back into the routine. 

You're right about the shorter workouts, there's some research that supports this too. But I can only cut my gym time so much with the fullbody workouts.. 2 a days is out of the question with school n all, so I will have to stay with this for now.

hey nordick, are you still keeping up with the cardio these days? whats your routine like?
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:35 AM »
nah Im used to 1.5 hrs, I know I need to cut that down though.. I hope to be able to complete my workouts to 70 minutes as I continue to improve my efficiency in the gym. Keep in mind I have been out of the gym for quite a while now, but I'm quickly getting back into the routine. 

You're right about the shorter workouts, there's some research that supports this too. But I can only cut my gym time so much with the fullbody workouts.. 2 a days is out of the question with school n all, so I will have to stay with this for now.

hey nordick, are you still keeping up with the cardio these days? whats your routine like?

One day off, one day on weights regime. Just the basics, no special exercise's, always start off with some basic after warmup, squats for leg, dumbbell incline for chest, military or clean and jerk on shoulders, and deadlift on back day.

Cardio inbetween 40 mins max on incline treadmill. Ever other cardio session is a sprinting workout (30 mins). Also play 5 a side football (soccer) on mondays (harsh).
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
One day off, one day on weights regime. Just the basics, no special exercise's, always start off with some basic after warmup, squats for leg, dumbbell incline for chest, military or clean and jerk on shoulders, and deadlift on back day.

Cardio inbetween 40 mins max on incline treadmill. Ever other cardio session is a sprinting workout (30 mins). Also play 5 a side football (soccer) on mondays (harsh).
yeah I know about the soccer, I play indoors with 5 a side and that shit is NON STOP! Fcvkin grueling.. better than any other cardio, too bad with my back I can't really do that too much.

I like the idea of 30-40 min on incline treadmill, I'll give it a go on tuesday... I've been doing the elliptical and its so fvckin gay, I did it for half an hour and didn't really feel like I got much of a workout at all  :-\

how do u split up your training?
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2007, 02:54:01 AM »
yeah I know about the soccer, I play indoors with 5 a side and that shit is NON STOP! Fcvkin grueling.. better than any other cardio, too bad with my back I can't really do that too much.

I like the idea of 30-40 min on incline treadmill, I'll give it a go on tuesday... I've been doing the elliptical and its so fvckin gay, I did it for half an hour and didn't really feel like I got much of a workout at all  :-\

how do u split up your training?

Yeah the football is harsh. My calves getting pumped gives me a real problem somtimes :-X Feels good afterwards tho :D

Yeah, I have a mate who only gives praises to the elliptical machine, but honestly I'd feel like a right twat using it. Doing 30 - 40 mins on a treadmill on a decent incline burns enough calories, plus it gives you that mental feeling of achieving something from it.

Training is:
chest/bis
cardio
back
cardio
shoulders/tris
cardio
legs
cardio [normally a bit lower intensity due to training legs day before]
repeat

routine doesn't fit inside of a week usually. Sometimes I might do chest/bi after leg day if I feel up for it or my schedule requires it.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2007, 04:58:54 AM »

nothing wrong with 90min. if you like it and your seeing results, stick to it. dont rush your workouts.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Yeah the football is harsh. My calves getting pumped gives me a real problem somtimes :-X Feels good afterwards tho :D

Yeah, I have a mate who only gives praises to the elliptical machine, but honestly I'd feel like a right twat using it. Doing 30 - 40 mins on a treadmill on a decent incline burns enough calories, plus it gives you that mental feeling of achieving something from it.

Training is:
chest/bis
cardio
back
cardio
shoulders/tris
cardio
legs
cardio [normally a bit lower intensity due to training legs day before]
repeat

routine doesn't fit inside of a week usually. Sometimes I might do chest/bi after leg day if I feel up for it or my schedule requires it.
cool, I ran a bit during back therapy today and I was getting winded real fast, and it was almost unbearable on the calves too... much more effective than that peice of shit elliptical. the only thing is that with any peice of cardio equipment its gets BORING really FAST. I don't have an mp3 player but I imagine it makes it a lot easier.. in my old cardio days running 20 minutes on a treadmill at a good pace was almost unbearable after 10 minutes.

nothing wrong with 90min. if you like it and your seeing results, stick to it. dont rush your workouts.
thanks for the suggestion.

anyway, gotta skip the workout today because I got an exam on wednesday.. will have time tomorrow so I will try to squeeze in a quick workout.
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »
I hate to be nosy but exactly what damage did you do to your back and how? ???
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
You're a right pair of shirt-lifters... cross-trainers/ellipticals are awesome bits of kit!

On the days when I don't feel like running, I just get on the cross-trainer for 50 mins and keep cranking up the resistance every two and a half minutes. Way superior to the boring treadmill.

BTW, I wouldn't listen to me about the whole shirt-lifter thing. I've been known to go to spin classes and own at least two pairs of running tights.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
:D

If Akinwale Arobieke does it, it must be good!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
I hate to be nosy but exactly what damage did you do to your back and how? ???
It's nothing big at all it seems, MRI and X-ray scans didnt show anything conclusive, but at the time of injury it REALLY felt like I fvcked up bad, definitely thought I had slipped a disc or something. I think what caused it was twisting my back while playing soccer..you may be able to backtrack to that in this very thread. But I went ahead with a leg workout following that and tthat's when I REALLY felt at first that something was wrong. Gave it a rest for a week then went back in for a deadlift workout (I'm a fcvking MORON BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!) and fvcked it up again  ;D After a whole summer of not lifting, the pain resurfaced following a cardio workout (running). A week or two following that I reinjured it AGAIN doing hack deadlifts (which I thought owuldnt bother my back at all), and that's when I decided I really had to go in for a check up a little mroe than a month ago  :D
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2007, 02:37:32 PM »
Sorry forgot to update for this week, no highlights really..pretty normal workouts. Did miss one workout on monday though which sucks bad. Knocked out BW+75 on dips very easily, same goes the repeated 180 x 5 x 3 lift on bench, which felt REALLY easy with LESS rest in between sets ;)

Also started doing some light squats again, last time I did 95 x 10, 115 x 10, 135 x 10 ascending sets with no rest in between. got me a bit winded but nothing too bad, I had to stop because I didn't want to stress the lower back too much.

Hopefully will not miss any workouts this week.  8)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
You're a right pair of shirt-lifters... cross-trainers/ellipticals are awesome bits of kit!

On the days when I don't feel like running, I just get on the cross-trainer for 50 mins and keep cranking up the resistance every two and a half minutes. Way superior to the boring treadmill.

BTW, I wouldn't listen to me about the whole shirt-lifter thing. I've been known to go to spin classes and own at least two pairs of running tights.
Definitely wasn't boring being on the elliptical, I have to admit. I was just pissed about how easy it felt as compared to running, and had a hard time believing I burned as many calories as the machine told me I did. Sure beats running on a treadmill, but not as far as getting a good workout in.

Thanks for the contribution Aki  ;)  8)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
Tonight's workout:

Monday, November 12, 2007
Workout 2
Weighted Dips <alternated with> Weighted Chins
BW x 8      <alt. w/> BW+50 x 5  (Shouler Width Overhand)
BW+25 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+50 x 6  (Alternating V-grip)
BW+45 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+55 x 5-DS-BW+25 x 4-DS-BW x 3  (CG Underhand)
BW+85 x 5 <alt. w/> ----------
BW+80 x 5 <alt. w/> ----------
BW+80 x 5 <alt. w/> ----------
A-trainer Flies* (right side only**) <alternated with> High Pulley Ab Crunches***
15 x 7 <alt. w/> 40 x 12
15 x 7-DS-10 x 3-4 <alt. w/> 40 x 12
1-legged Wide Stance Leg Presses <alternated with> Seated Db Presses
3 plates + 42.5 x 10 <alt. w/> 55's x 10
3 plates + 42.5 x 10 <alt. w/> 55's x 12  TOO EASY  8)
Glute-Ham Raises
BW-25 x 6
BW-25 x 7

DS = dropset
*description- strict flat supinated cable flies, leading with the elbows.
**Attempt at sorting out symmetry issues.
***Performed seated, on a lat pulldown machine.

Not a bad workout! Went in there feelin real shitty, didn't wanna workout at all but I pushed through it and I feel much better now. This workout was done at the local recreation centre cuz I was back home from college. Thank God for the first time the chins felt easier, the dips on the other hand felt harder lol but thats ok. Flies felt good, abs were harder than I thought. BLEW the hell through the db presses, very big surprise here...if you go back a week or two I managed only 6 reps on these or something, and now they felt comfortable with 12 reps  ??? Pushed hard on the leg presses and they felt nice. Substituted GHR's for the regular routine cuz I was at a differnt gym and didnt have the same equipment.

thanks for reading.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »
Wednesday, November 14th, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press <alternated w/> Bench Supported Db Rows:
95 x 8  <alt. w/> 60's x 5
125 x 6 <alt. w/> 80's x 4
155 x 5 <alt. w/> 75's x 5
185 x 5 <alt. w/> 75's x 5
185 x 5 (slighly closer grip) <alt. w/> -------
185 x 5 <alt. w/> -------
1-legged Barbell Squats*
115 x 10
115 x 10
Strict Db Laterals**<supersetted w/> Seated Rope Face Pulls
10 x 10-12 <ss> #4 x 12
10 x 8 <ss> #4 x 8
supersetted w/:
Glute Ham Raises***
BW-(#1.5) x 6
BW-(#1.5) x 6

*Also known as Bulgarian Split Squats
** Moving with elbows only!
***Setup's on a Lat pulldown machine, assistance from weight stack.

That about all I had time for that day. Maybe time to taper off the reps on bench now. The 1-legged Squats are always killer and I always dread them. School is almost coming to an end for this year and the schedule is getting real tight. I'll try to workout atleast twice a week though.
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2007, 03:23:45 AM »
Haidar, where did you come across these exotic variations of excercises from? Research?

Ever been to Bulgaria? I have, their goulash is very tasty! :D
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:36 PM »
Haidar, where did you come across these exotic variations of excercises from? Research?

Ever been to Bulgaria? I have, their goulash is very tasty! :D
No, lol I don't go around looking for 'exotic' exercises. Just hangin out at the forums (bodybuilding.com also) I guess... some I came up with due to necessity and others I had to improvise on.

Cool, what other countried have you been to? don't you plan on visiting the US too?
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2007, 03:48:13 AM »
No, lol I don't go around looking for 'exotic' exercises. Just hangin out at the forums (bodybuilding.com also) I guess... some I came up with due to necessity and others I had to improvise on.

Cool, what other countried have you been to? don't you plan on visiting the US too?

I practically live a third of the year in CA, the gyms there are quite exceptional.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
I practically live a third of the year in CA, the gyms there are quite exceptional.
You should make a trip upto ohio so we can party and discuss Islam at the grand mosque here  :D

The frequency of my workouts has obviously taken a dip, had maybe one or two workouts that I didn't log.

Here's what I did today

Saturday, November 24th, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press <alternated w/> Weighted Chins:
95 x 8  <alt. w/> BW+55 x 5 (Shoulder-Width Overhand)
125 x 6 <alt. w/> BW+55 x 6 (Alt. V-grip)
155 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+60 x 5-DS-BW+25 x 3-DS-BW x 3 (CG Underhand)
185 x 3 <alt. w/> -------
190 x 3 <alt. w/> -------
195 x 3 <alt. w/> -------   EASY, SWEET
Barbell Squats: (Short rest)
95 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10
175 x 10
185 x 10
Seated Db Press
60's x 10
60's x 10
Glute Ham Raises*
BW-20 x 10

*Setup's on a Lat pulldown machine, assistance from weight stack.

GREAT day for benching today, just pure POWER and EXPLOSION right here baby!!! 8) No seriously my form was really good today and every single set felt easy. You can read all about how much my bench sucks here from fellow getbiggers: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=182224.0
 LOL, pure hatuhzz I tell ya!  ;D

Anyway, I started squatting again! I used a belt they had at the gym for all sets, and my back feels fine after the workout. I think I've still got it  8) Felt strong on the db presses, and only had time for one set of GHR's.

later.
follow the arrows

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »
at least you're working hard..for a pussy!

not bad man...but why do you consistantly work with the same weight instead of pushing it every so often for less reps to give your body a look at some heavier shit?! ???

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
at least you're working hard..for a pussy!

not bad man...but why do you consistantly work with the same weight instead of pushing it every so often for less reps to give your body a look at some heavier shit?! ???
hahaha that IS pussy weight compared to your BADASS HARDCORE TO THE BONE TRAINING JOURNAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Man I just have been careful because I don't want my progress to stall by making high jumps, not everybody can lift at maximum capacity hit a PR's in the gym everyday like you BROTHER! Just past experience with bench has pussied me out a bit.. But my last bench workout, I upped the weight every set, trying to go for that LEGENDARY 225 x 3 bench baby!!!  8)

I fixed up my form a lot, elbows tucked in, shoulder blades together, breathing through the stomach and everything and it is helping A LOT...I mean, last bench workout was not anywhere near maximal poundages.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
DAMN haven't logged in a while cuz Im busy, but a quick update.

My bench has been going up and I have changed aorund my workouts a bit, meaning I have decreased the number of exericses and susbsitutes with better ones, for example I do CG Bench on the alternate day now to foccus on tricep strength to help with my bench.

I have also started SQUATTING again, not quite ASS TO THE CORE OF THE EARTH!!! though because I wanna keep it safe for my back. This means that I'm doign box squats (using a bench), which will also help fix up any form that I might have lost in the time I have taken off of squatting.

My last workout was as follows (skipping 2-3 workouts I think):

Bench Press <alternated with> Barbell Rows:
95 x 10 <alt. w/> 95 x 8
135 x 5 <alt. w/> 115 x 8
175 x 3-1-1 <alt. w/> 130 x 8
205 x 3 <alt. w/> 130 x 8
210 x 3 <alt. w/> -------
195 x 1-1-1 - 185 x 1 - 175 x 1 <alt. w/> -------
1-legged Squats
135 x 10
"Box" Squats:
190 x 20 !!!!!!!  ;D

Very short workout, had to cut it off after the qokout cuz I had a projct to work on. Bench form wasnt vry comfortable with the 210, but still a PR nonetheless! So I dropped back down to 195, and three singles in a row, a reset after each rep, then dropped to 185 and the form was good, then 175 and the form was good. From here on I will not be trying to rush the bench as much, I have been increasing 5-10 pounds for 3 workouts already so I'm kinda starting to peak I think. My short term goal right now is to bench 225 for a triple.

I decided to push myself on squats because I'm only doing one set. THe reps right now arent as important as getting my back in shape for squats again, just increasing the load on the bar every workout to get my back used to hte poundages again SLOWLY. So just to make it intense, I went for an exra 5 reps after the planned 15 reps. Not close to my best ever but intense nonetheless.  8)
follow the arrows

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »
Keep on showing tha haterz bro!!!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:40 PM »
Keep on showing tha haterz bro!!!!!!
THanks to the hatuhzz I dropped my 3 servings of NO-EXPLODE pre-workout!!! These workouts are fueled by PURE HATE!!!
follow the arrows