Author Topic: Kobe in yet another self-made debacle  (Read 3344 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Kobe in yet another self-made debacle
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
Frustrated Kobe needs to keep his mouth shut

HERE are two free words of advice for Kobe Bryant:

Shut up.

Got that? Put a lid on it. Zip it so tight all breath must be drawn through your nostrils.

Just shut up. Do not utter a single syllable if it's about to lead to a critique of your teammates, team management, God, country or the price of gas.

First Kobe threw all of his teammates under the bus, and now apparently, he's grabbed general manager Mitch Kupchak by the collar and tossed him under, too.

Jerry Buss, you must be next.

The Lakers' undistinguished play is apparently everyone's fault but No.24's.

How unbecoming. How childish. How completely short-sighted.

If it wasn't bad enough after the Lakers' first-round playoff exit three weeks ago that he essentially ripped his teammates, saying the Lakers had to upgrade their talent level to become a title contender, now he is reportedly taking on Kupchak and making silly threats.

Next he will stomp his feat and hold his breath until he turns blue, which at least will prevent him from speaking a while.

Unless ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher has completely gotten it wrong, Kobe needs a serious timeout. Needs a major reality check. Needs to stop acting like a pampered superstar and more like someone committed to his team and contract. Bucher said Sunday during an ESPN broadcast that Kobe told him he wants Jerry West brought back to the Lakers and given full authority, or he wants to be traded.

This is preposterous on so many levels, it's hard to know where to begin.

Hey, Kobe, you're frustrated? So are the Lakers' fans. So is management, your teammates, the media, Phil Jackson and Lawrence Tanter.

When it comes to the Lakers, you have no exclusivity on frustration. It's shared by every one who supports, follows or is a part of the organization.

Think the current talent level isn't good enough to capture another title? OK, swell, that's hardly an isolated opinion.

If you want to share it with management, you've earned that right. Only do it in private, alone with Jackson and Kupchak and Buss, not with the media. Team leaders support teammates, they don't announce through the press they're not good enough.

That, of course, was only a warm-up act to Sunday.

Trying to dictate who runs the team is certainly one-upping Magic Johnson forcing out Paul Westhead as coach.

Onward and upward. Next it's commissioner Kobe. No, wait, President Kobe. Hold that, King of the Universe Kobe.

It's hard to move forward when doubled over in laughter. Kobe, mired in a situation he largely created during the Kobe-Shaq pout-fest, wants the roster upgraded or he wants out.

Previously pushed into a corner by both Kobe and Shaq, Buss made his understandable choice and went with the younger star. He's not going to bail now and trade him, even if he could.

And really, what are the chances that if he actually wanted to deal Kobe, it could happen?

Kobe is going to make more than $40 million the next two seasons. There isn't a single team that could trade away that much contract and offer up anything the Lakers could justify as an improvement.

Then there is the whole West thing, another non-starter. Kupchak was West's No. 2 man.

He groomed him. They are friends.

It's nearly unfathomable that West - whose contract with the Grizzlies expires July 1 - would suddenly return to push aside Kupchak.

It should also be remembered that West exited the Lakers for a reason.

Kobe knows all this, of course, yet he popped off anyway. The Lakers had no reaction Sunday. The club said it might be addressed during the week.

Kobe will be no less frustrated by then, and likely, no wiser.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Kobe in yet another self-made drama
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:33:09 PM »
Frustrated Kobe needs to keep his mouth shut

HERE are two free words of advice for Kobe Bryant:

Shut up.

Got that? Put a lid on it. Zip it so tight all breath must be drawn through your nostrils.

Just shut up. Do not utter a single syllable if it's about to lead to a critique of your teammates, team management, God, country or the price of gas.

First Kobe threw all of his teammates under the bus, and now apparently, he's grabbed general manager Mitch Kupchak by the collar and tossed him under, too.

Jerry Buss, you must be next.

How unbecoming. How childish. How completely short-sighted.

If it wasn't bad enough after the Lakers' first-round playoff exit three weeks ago that he essentially ripped his teammates, saying the Lakers had to upgrade their talent level to become a title contender, now he is reportedly taking on Kupchak and making silly threats.

Next he will stomp his feat and hold his breath until he turns blue, which at least will prevent him from speaking a while.

Unless ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher has completely gotten it wrong, Kobe needs a serious timeout. Needs a major reality check. Needs to stop acting like a pampered superstar and more like someone committed to his team and contract. Bucher said Sunday during an ESPN broadcast that Kobe told him he wants Jerry West brought back to the Lakers and given full authority, or he wants to be traded.

This is preposterous on so many levels, it's hard to know where to begin.

Hey, Kobe, you're frustrated? So are the Lakers' fans. So is management, your teammates, the media, Phil Jackson and Lawrence Tanter.

When it comes to the Lakers, you have no exclusivity on frustration. It's shared by every one who supports, follows or is a part of the organization.

Think the current talent level isn't good enough to capture another title? OK, swell, that's hardly an isolated opinion.

If you want to share it with management, you've earned that right. Only do it in private, alone with Jackson and Kupchak and Buss, not with the media. Team leaders support teammates, they don't announce through the press they're not good enough.

That, of course, was only a warm-up act to Sunday.

Trying to dictate who runs the team is certainly one-upping Magic Johnson forcing out Paul Westhead as coach.

Onward and upward. Next it's commissioner Kobe. No, wait, President Kobe. Hold that, King of the Universe Kobe.

It's hard to move forward when doubled over in laughter. Kobe, mired in a situation he largely created during the Kobe-Shaq pout-fest, wants the roster upgraded or he wants out.

Previously pushed into a corner by both Kobe and Shaq, Buss made his understandable choice and went with the younger star. He's not going to bail now and trade him, even if he could.

And really, what are the chances that if he actually wanted to deal Kobe, it could happen?

Kobe is going to make more than $40 million the next two seasons. There isn't a single team that could trade away that much contract and offer up anything the Lakers could justify as an improvement.

Then there is the whole West thing, another non-starter. Kupchak was West's No. 2 man.

He groomed him. They are friends.

It's nearly unfathomable that West - whose contract with the Grizzlies expires July 1 - would suddenly return to push aside Kupchak.

It should also be remembered that West exited the Lakers for a reason.

Kobe knows all this, of course, yet he popped off anyway. The Lakers had no reaction Sunday. The club said it might be addressed during the week.

Kobe will be no less frustrated by then, and likely, no wiser.

::)

http://www.dailynews.com/lakers/ci_6003950

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »
Bum, prone to the internet verbal diarrhea, speechless.

Pretty much sums up the situation and his reverence/excuses for the trainwreck known as the kobester. hahahaahahaha

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »
Bum, prone to the internet verbal diarrhea, speechless.

Pretty much sums up the situation and his reverence/excuses for the trainwreck known as the kobester. hahahaahahaha

::)  Just providing the link for the article you quoted, which you, again, failed to do. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
::)  Just providing the link for the article you quoted, which you, again, failed to do. 

Nice attempted deflection from our ADD candidate. Focus on content. ;D

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
Face it folks, Kobe is an A Grade scumbag of a human being.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »

SERGIO!!!!

Other than that he's a great guy. :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »
Nice attempted deflection from our ADD candidate. Focus on content. ;D

Yawn.  Quit trying to pass off other people's commentary as your own. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

SERGIO!!!!

What makes him a scumbag of a human being? 

He said what Lakers fans (including me) have been saying for years.  Mitch Kupchak has done a lousy job.  Bringing in Malone and Payton was brilliant, but it has been downhill ever since.  He drafted Sasha Vuacic who has done squat.  He drafted Brian Cook over Leandro Barbosa and Josh Howard.  He should be punched in the mouth for that.   >:(  He failed to close out a trade for Carlos Boozer two years ago.  Overall, he has put together a pretty average team.  They have the best basketball player on the planet and need to surround him with enough talent to win.

Bring back Jerry West!   :)

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »
What makes him a scumbag of a human being? 

He said what Lakers fans (including me) have been saying for years.  Mitch Kupchak has done a lousy job.  Bringing in Malone and Payton was brilliant, but it has been downhill ever since.  He drafted Sasha Vuacic who has done squat.  He drafted Brian Cook over Leandro Barbosa and Josh Howard.  He should be punched in the mouth for that.   >:(  He failed to close out a trade for Carlos Boozer two years ago.  Overall, he has put together a pretty average team.  They have the best basketball player on the planet and need to surround him with enough talent to win.

Bring back Jerry West!   :)

This isn't exactly the only incident. He forced the most loved Laker since Magic out of LA. There was the little rape thing a few years back, which at best was cheating on his wife and child. He then publically said he should have done what Shaq does and that's pay off his mistresses.

There are the endless examples of his arrogance and selfishness as a player, most of his fellow piers in the league can't stand him. His own coach has famously admitted he can't stand the guy, and now there is the latest incident, the guy is just a prick. I will be very disappointed in Jerry West if he heads back there, and I'm not happy that greats like Magic & Kareem continue to be associated with this orginisation while he's there.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »
This isn't exactly the only incident. He forced the most loved Laker since Magic out of LA. There was the little rape thing a few years back, which at best was cheating on his wife and child. He then publically said he should have done what Shaq does and that's pay off his mistresses.

There are the endless examples of his arrogance and selfishness as a player, most of his fellow piers in the league can't stand him. His own coach has famously admitted he can't stand the guy, and now there is the latest incident, the guy is just a prick. I will be very disappointed in Jerry West if he heads back there, and I'm not happy that greats like Magic & Kareem continue to be associated with this orginisation while he's there.

SERGIO!!!!

There are some things he has done that are terrible:  cheating on his wife and throwing Shaq under the bus when he got arrested.  But much of his reputation is undeserved.  The man just wants to win.  And they did win with Shaq and Phil, largely because of Kobe.  He didn't force Shaq out.  Shaq demanded a trade.  He wanted more than what he was worth. 

Phil made some comments about Kobe, but has had nothing but good things to say since his return.  He is Kobe supporter. 

With all the smoke, I doubt you could find the plethora of quotes from Kobe that show he is "a prick."  The guy shows up every year in pristine condition, plays hard the entire game on both ends of the floor and, as LeBron said, is a just a "killer" on the court.  All the guy talks about is winning.  That's why he threw Kupchak under the bus.  I'm actually glad he did.  If he didn't publicly put the heat on the Lakers management we'd probably have Smush Parker starting at point guard for the THIRD year in a row.  We'd probably be starting Kwame Brown at center again.  I guarantee you there will be some movement this offseason, that won't be anything like signing Aaron McKie and Vlade Divac so they sit on our bench and eat up our salary cap.       

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:03:12 PM »

SERGIO!!!!

In ADDITION as the article points out, to the fact that this whole situation is the result of Kobe's pressures on management.

"Little rape incident" LOL

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
There are some things he has done that are terrible:  cheating on his wife and throwing Shaq under the bus when he got arrested.  But much of his reputation is undeserved.  The man just wants to win.  And they did win with Shaq and Phil, largely because of Kobe.  He didn't force Shaq out.  Shaq demanded a trade.  He wanted more than what he was worth. 

Phil made some comments about Kobe, but has had nothing but good things to say since his return.  He is Kobe supporter. 

With all the smoke, I doubt you could find the plethora of quotes from Kobe that show he is "a prick."  The guy shows up every year in pristine condition, plays hard the entire game on both ends of the floor and, as LeBron said, is a just a "killer" on the court.  All the guy talks about is winning.  That's why he threw Kupchak under the bus.  I'm actually glad he did.  If he didn't publicly put the heat on the Lakers management we'd probably have Smush Parker starting at point guard for the THIRD year in a row.  We'd probably be starting Kwame Brown at center again.  I guarantee you there will be some movement this offseason, that won't be anything like signing Aaron McKie and Vlade Divac so they sit on our bench and eat up our salary cap.       

Dude at this point to continue with these rationalizations only proves that you've departed from lucidity once again. Seriously you're in total denial. ;)

Even I didn't expect Kobe to create yet more of a mess.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:15:10 PM »
Dude at this point to continue with these rationalizations only proves that you've departed from lucidity once again. Seriously you're in total denial. ;)

Even I didn't expect Kobe to create yet more of a mess.

Why don't you try providing your own analysis instead making silly comments?  On second thought . . . never mind.  You are clueless.  You don't watch the game.  You don't know much about sports.  Why do you even post on this board?   

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: Kobe in yet another self-made debacle
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 04:41:19 AM »
How do you trade someone like Kobe and get fair value.  He is one of if not the best player in the league.  You don't want to do what other teams have and let a superstar go for cheap.  It killed Orlando with TMac, Philly with AI, LA with Shaq, what can you get for him with his contract and his attitude. 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »
I still don't understand why he wanted Shaq off the team so badly. HOF centers are the rarest of rare and are worth their weight in gold. I would have thought he would have been smart enough to realize that. His ego must be outrageous.

Also, he's partly responsible for the mess their in, he might want to look in the mirror first before calling out others and making hollow demands.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
Lakers Showtime of Another Kind

The N.B.A. playoffs may be registering several levels of excitement below frenzy among basketball fans, but the Lakers are trying to make up the difference off the court by tossing together a whistle-blowing star, an owner in jail and a swimsuit model in a Lakerland rumor mill unrivaled since Shaquille O’Neal left town.

Jerry West, the former G.M. of the Lakers and the Memphis Grizzlies is reportedly livid with Bryant for dragging him into the fray, according to a Yahoo story. He also considers the current G.M., Mitch Kupchak, a protege and friend. Mr. West’s friendship with the Lakers coach, Phil Jackson, is a question.

At the top of all of this is Jerry Buss, the Lakers controlling owner and head of a family that runs the team with all the transparency of the Kremlin, according to a blog called Forum Blue & Gold. Its analysis of public statements from three members of the Buss family concludes with signs that “power is shifting some.”

Mr. Buss “is giving up some of his and everyone is fighting for parts of it,” particularly his son and and his daughter, Jeanie, who had a five-year romantic relationship with Mr. Jackson.

As all of this unfolds, Buss, 74, was arrested last night for driving under the influence. Oh, and he was driving on the wrong side of the road with a 23-year-old swimsuit model in the passenger seat, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported. He was later released and a court date was set.

It was plenty of material for the Los Angeles Times columnist T.J. Simers:
All right, who drove Jerry Buss to drink?
His son? His daughter? His star player?
Did someone tell him Smush Parker wants to return?
I’ll tell you this, because I just know you’re going to ask, the young lady in the car with Buss when he was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence was old enough to drive.

I can also report that her first name was not Paris or Lindsay.
(That fellow named Smush is the only Laker certainly not returning next season.)
Getting tossed back Bryant’s way are reports that he’s demanded a trade, which he denied in a post headlined “The Truth,” in what he called the “truth section” of his Web site. (It “was created for times such as these,” he said).

It was one of many places that the master of spinning, fading away and scoring could be seen word-spinning away. “I’m not demanding anything,” he told the Riverside Press-Enterprise. “I’m just making a suggestion.”

Restrained expectations such as those may be what’s in order. Howard Beck of The New York Times says that Kobe Bryant’s bid is a long shot.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »

it is.

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
Well the Black Mamba(what kind of douche gives HIMSELF a nick name like that?) got what he wanted. A team without the big man. That has meant an early exit from the playoffs every season since Shaq's been gone. Meanwhile, Shaq and D Wade brought Miami it's first title and have been to the conference round Twice.
The Fakers traded the wrong man  ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »

I can't believe how long Kupchak has gotten a free pass here in L.A.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 11:10:09 AM »
I can't believe how long Kupchak has gotten a free pass here in L.A.

He should be fired.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 06:30:59 AM »
Kupchak's just the figurehead. The whole organization's f**** in allowing the kobester to get to this point.

Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book

As viewed from Los Angeles, a town that has been more egregiously indulgent of Kobe Bryant than any of its teen starlets, the Cavaliers post-game press conference came as a welcome event. After Cleveland's improbable victory over the Detroit Pistons, one would expect LeBron James at the podium. Less expected, however, was one Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, a second-round pick out of Texas.

LeBron James took Daniel Gibson under his wing, and 'Boobie' has paid him back in full.At 21, Boobie's not much. He's neither big, nor, as his draft status suggests, did he arrive in Cleveland with much of a rep. In fact, he spent most of his rookie season — the regular portion of which concluded with averages of 16.5 minutes and 4.5 points — on the bench.

In other words, he's exactly the kind of scrub Kobe Bryant would whine about having to play with.

But there he was, the unlikely hero of an historic upset. His line in the boxscore included 31 points, 19 in the fourth quarter when Detroit and Rasheed Wallace imploded for the last time.

When asked to what he attributed his great good fortune, Gibson could not have been more clear.

"From day one," he said, "LeBron's been in my corner."

I found myself wondering if Kobe was watching. I sure hoped he was, as he had subjected me to a miserable couple of days during which he thought to air his demands. Said demands might be summarized thusly:

Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker for life.

Lindsay Lohan, recently arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, made more sense when she cracked up her convertible on Sunset.

In keeping with this starlet theme, one can't help but think the timing of the tantrum had something to do with the ascent of James and the Cavaliers. Perhaps Kobe couldn't stand the lack of attention this time of year. Or, perhaps he knows that the comparison with LeBron James does not flatter him at all.

Bryant keeps complaining about the Lakers' lack of talent. But with the case of Boobie Gibson now in evidence, I would submit that there's not much difference between the talent level surrounding James and Bryant. In fact, let's dispatch right here with the fictitious notion that the Lakers without Kobe are a bunch of scrubs. LeBron James doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Lamar Odom. The difference is how each star treats the talent around him.

Can you imagine any of the Lakers saying about Kobe what Gibson said about LeBron?

No.

Boobie Gibson went on about how James would encourage him after practice. "Keep shooting," he told the rookie. "Don't worry about nothing."

"My teammates," said James, "(are) my family."

To watch the Cleveland-Detroit series was to acknowledge James' greatness. He shoots when he has to, and from as far as need be. He can attack the rim like Bryant, but see the court like Magic Johnson. Still, his strength and quickness suggest yet another Laker legend, James Worthy. But even more striking than his individual attributes was the unmistakable sense that guys liked playing with, and for, LeBron James.

Last month, on the eve of the Cavaliers engagement with the Nets, Richard Jefferson was asked to assess the degree of difficulty in trying to guard James. The key, said Jefferson, was "he gets his teammates involved...It's not just the LeBron show. He's not a Kobe Bryant where he's just going to go out there and score at all costs."

Great players are supposed to endow the players around them with greatness. Kobe Bryant does not. While James is about winning, Kobe is about Kobe. Kobe Bryant is driving a wedge between him and the rest of the Lakers.

In relation to his teammates, Bryant inhabits a parallel universe, separate and unequal. Perhaps you recall former Laker Chucky Atkins remarking with some frustration, "Kobe's the GM of this team." I'll not forget the way he showed up his teammate, Luke Walton, who had the temerity to pass the ball back to him during an overtime loss to the Knicks. And while there's some fantastic revisionism emanating from the Lakers' high command, you may remember that even his own coach couldn't stand him.

You think anything has really changed?

Kobe Bryant doesn't instill confidence in the guys in the locker room. He communicates by text message.

In fairness, it's worth mentioning that Bryant plays in the West, where the Cavaliers would have had a much more difficult time. Also, there were injuries to key Lakers this past season, especially the one to Lamar Odom. But this idea that Bryant cannot deign to trust his teammates is nonsense. No one's asking him to trust Boobie Gibson. Again, put Bryant in context: this is a guy who couldn't trust Shaquille O'Neal.

Kobe Bryant is going to be 29 soon, and entering his 12th NBA season. He provided a partial template for LeBron James. He was the first, a basketball prodigy with a huge sneaker deal before he left high school.

James is only 22, and about to play in his first Finals. But suddenly this gap in age and experience counts for nothing. It is James who now sets the example. In watching him, Bryant may yet learn the difference between a starlet and a star.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 08:25:54 AM »
Kupchak's just the figurehead. The whole organization's f**** in allowing the kobester to get to this point.

Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book

As viewed from Los Angeles, a town that has been more egregiously indulgent of Kobe Bryant than any of its teen starlets, the Cavaliers post-game press conference came as a welcome event. After Cleveland's improbable victory over the Detroit Pistons, one would expect LeBron James at the podium. Less expected, however, was one Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, a second-round pick out of Texas.

LeBron James took Daniel Gibson under his wing, and 'Boobie' has paid him back in full.At 21, Boobie's not much. He's neither big, nor, as his draft status suggests, did he arrive in Cleveland with much of a rep. In fact, he spent most of his rookie season — the regular portion of which concluded with averages of 16.5 minutes and 4.5 points — on the bench.

In other words, he's exactly the kind of scrub Kobe Bryant would whine about having to play with.

But there he was, the unlikely hero of an historic upset. His line in the boxscore included 31 points, 19 in the fourth quarter when Detroit and Rasheed Wallace imploded for the last time.

When asked to what he attributed his great good fortune, Gibson could not have been more clear.

"From day one," he said, "LeBron's been in my corner."

I found myself wondering if Kobe was watching. I sure hoped he was, as he had subjected me to a miserable couple of days during which he thought to air his demands. Said demands might be summarized thusly:

Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker for life.

Lindsay Lohan, recently arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, made more sense when she cracked up her convertible on Sunset.

In keeping with this starlet theme, one can't help but think the timing of the tantrum had something to do with the ascent of James and the Cavaliers. Perhaps Kobe couldn't stand the lack of attention this time of year. Or, perhaps he knows that the comparison with LeBron James does not flatter him at all.

Bryant keeps complaining about the Lakers' lack of talent. But with the case of Boobie Gibson now in evidence, I would submit that there's not much difference between the talent level surrounding James and Bryant. In fact, let's dispatch right here with the fictitious notion that the Lakers without Kobe are a bunch of scrubs. LeBron James doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Lamar Odom. The difference is how each star treats the talent around him.

Can you imagine any of the Lakers saying about Kobe what Gibson said about LeBron?

No.

Boobie Gibson went on about how James would encourage him after practice. "Keep shooting," he told the rookie. "Don't worry about nothing."

"My teammates," said James, "(are) my family."

To watch the Cleveland-Detroit series was to acknowledge James' greatness. He shoots when he has to, and from as far as need be. He can attack the rim like Bryant, but see the court like Magic Johnson. Still, his strength and quickness suggest yet another Laker legend, James Worthy. But even more striking than his individual attributes was the unmistakable sense that guys liked playing with, and for, LeBron James.

Last month, on the eve of the Cavaliers engagement with the Nets, Richard Jefferson was asked to assess the degree of difficulty in trying to guard James. The key, said Jefferson, was "he gets his teammates involved...It's not just the LeBron show. He's not a Kobe Bryant where he's just going to go out there and score at all costs."

Great players are supposed to endow the players around them with greatness. Kobe Bryant does not. While James is about winning, Kobe is about Kobe. Kobe Bryant is driving a wedge between him and the rest of the Lakers.

In relation to his teammates, Bryant inhabits a parallel universe, separate and unequal. Perhaps you recall former Laker Chucky Atkins remarking with some frustration, "Kobe's the GM of this team." I'll not forget the way he showed up his teammate, Luke Walton, who had the temerity to pass the ball back to him during an overtime loss to the Knicks. And while there's some fantastic revisionism emanating from the Lakers' high command, you may remember that even his own coach couldn't stand him.

You think anything has really changed?

Kobe Bryant doesn't instill confidence in the guys in the locker room. He communicates by text message.

In fairness, it's worth mentioning that Bryant plays in the West, where the Cavaliers would have had a much more difficult time. Also, there were injuries to key Lakers this past season, especially the one to Lamar Odom. But this idea that Bryant cannot deign to trust his teammates is nonsense. No one's asking him to trust Boobie Gibson. Again, put Bryant in context: this is a guy who couldn't trust Shaquille O'Neal.

Kobe Bryant is going to be 29 soon, and entering his 12th NBA season. He provided a partial template for LeBron James. He was the first, a basketball prodigy with a huge sneaker deal before he left high school.

James is only 22, and about to play in his first Finals. But suddenly this gap in age and experience counts for nothing. It is James who now sets the example. In watching him, Bryant may yet learn the difference between a starlet and a star.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6883282

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

Great comeback LOL

Sorry bum i've been telling you this for months now; finally as the last guy to catch on the ugly reality's slammed you in the head. You'd have been perfect for current Laker management. ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
Great comeback LOL

Sorry bum i've been telling you this for months now; finally as the last guy to catch on the ugly reality's slammed you in the head. You'd have been perfect for current Laker management. ;D

::)  I'll engage you when you come up with an original, informed thought and quit plagiarizing.  That said, you don't watch the game.  You don't know squat.  Hope this helps.  :)