Author Topic: Personal Trainers Talk  (Read 132629 times)

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
Re: Personal Trainers Talk
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2006, 05:26:38 AM »
I'd charge more for an In-home.  You lose the half hour before the session and the half hour after for travel time.  I always do at least 1 1/2 times my gym rate.  If you explain it that way, they usually understand. 

I will take that into consideration.  I will bump up my rate for june.  I know the people I do at home or at the park can afford an increase.
Sandra

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 10:08:37 AM »
if you think Charles Glass makes $400 an hour personal training people then you are very mistaken. First off,,he has to give a certain percentagage to the gym and if he made $400 an hour with even 10 clients per day that would be $4000 a day. Give me a break. He is not a millionaire by any means. He doesn't make $400 an hour. PERIOD  ..Personal Trainers do ok. 

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »
What most people on this board doesn't understand....that functional training is for everyone.  The more knowledge you have on core/stability training, the more money you're going to make.  I know personally 6 personal trainers that make @ 150k (on the books) ....just for tax reasons.  In reality...make over 200k annually.  Most of them are former Marine Bodybuilders with big ego's.  When they started, they had a hard time keeping clients & getting a large referral base going (they were training regualr people like a bodybuilder).  When they took up balance & core stability training they're income doubled.   Over time, their client base increased (huge referral business alone), & the results that people were wanting, were receiving it.
I find this very hard to believe and I will explain why. Balancing on a wobble board or trying to sit on a stability/balance ball while you pull against a rubber band or push 10lb weights does nothing to build muscle or reduce bodyfat, which is why 99% of people workout anyway.. to create a body composition shift ( increase muscle-decrease fat) . Listen you can do crunches on a stability ball and stand on a wobble board while holding a medicine ball in one hand all day but you will not LOOK any different, your body WILL NOT change. Now I know what you are going to say.... it strengthens the "core", it improves "core" stability and besides people like it! Performing a Front squat will challenge the muscle of the "core" by compression and stabilization FAR more than any silly balance ball routine. Performing a single leg squat will challange the body in a sagittal plane and for an even greater affect of unilateral training an X-vest can be worn to increase external loading. All this while promoting balance, since most all the muscles of the core are used not to mention the adductors along with the abductors, glutes, quads and hams. All the while reducing any possible muscular imbalance between the legs. Oh and the body composition shift this promotes is extraordinary. I know what your saying, " But wait I can balance on a wobble board for an additional 10 seconds that I could last month , while juggling 4 beanbags!"

" & the results that people were wanting, were receiving it."

Exactly what results were they wanting? TO balance on medicine ball on their head while the squeezed a stability ball between their thighs?? lol

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 02:46:14 PM »
I find this very hard to believe and I will explain why. Balancing on a wobble board or trying to sit on a stability/balance ball while you pull against a rubber band or push 10lb weights does nothing to build muscle or reduce bodyfat, which is why 99% of people workout anyway.. to create a body composition shift ( increase muscle-decrease fat) . Listen you can do crunches on a stability ball and stand on a wobble board while holding a medicine ball in one hand all day but you will not LOOK any different, your body WILL NOT change. Now I know what you are going to say.... it strengthens the "core", it improves "core" stability and besides people like it! Performing a Front squat will challenge the muscle of the "core" by compression and stabilization FAR more than any silly balance ball routine. Performing a single leg squat will challange the body in a sagittal plane and for an even greater affect of unilateral training an X-vest can be worn to increase external loading. All this while promoting balance, since most all the muscles of the core are used not to mention the adductors along with the abductors, glutes, quads and hams. All the while reducing any possible muscular imbalance between the legs. Oh and the body composition shift this promotes is extraordinary. I know what your saying, " But wait I can balance on a wobble board for an additional 10 seconds that I could last month , while juggling 4 beanbags!"

" & the results that people were wanting, were receiving it."

Exactly what results were they wanting? TO balance on medicine ball on their head while the squeezed a stability ball between their thighs?? lol

Ready for the sad truth:   The most popular trainers are not neccessarily the best trainers, they're the best salespeople. 

Bottom line:  Functional training sells becauses it is DIFFERENT! 

In my expereince the ONLY clients who get resluts are the one's who are self-motivated, the training is just the starting point.  If they have the drive, they will get there.  I just give them the right tools, keep them motivated and keep the program advancing so they are constantly improving.

My clients love front-squatting, deadlifting, long jumping, clean and pressing....those are the types of excersises that produce results in any training paradigm.    1 leg squats are great, do them all the time.  That is a typical functional leg excersise. 

According to IHRSA, 65% of people join gyms for weight management and the number is higher for people who hire trainers.  Now, if your training population is younger people (high school athletes) or the elderly, this percentage drops, they are training to A) Perform better or B) Feel better and functional training will help greatly with both.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »
Ready for the sad truth:   The most popular trainers are not neccessarily the best trainers, they're the best salespeople. 

Bottom line:  Functional training sells becauses it is DIFFERENT! 

In my expereince the ONLY clients who get resluts are the one's who are self-motivated, the training is just the starting point.  If they have the drive, they will get there.  I just give them the right tools, keep them motivated and keep the program advancing so they are constantly improving.

My clients love front-squatting, deadlifting, long jumping, clean and pressing....those are the types of excersises that produce results in any training paradigm.    1 leg squats are great, do them all the time.  That is a typical functional leg excersise. 

According to IHRSA, 65% of people join gyms for weight management and the number is higher for people who hire trainers.  Now, if your training population is younger people (high school athletes) or the elderly, this percentage drops, they are training to A) Perform better or B) Feel better and functional training will help greatly with both.

Outstanding reply !
Here is my beef with stability balls and wobble boards.... they dont do a thing for building muscle or lowering bodyfat and do very little for real world performance.
Mike you sound very experienced and knowledegable , so surely you must agree with me that when minimal to no results follow people are going to leave... usually. Where am I gowing wrong?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 06:10:13 PM »
Outstanding reply !
Here is my beef with stability balls and wobble boards.... they dont do a thing for building muscle or lowering bodyfat and do very little for real world performance.
Mike you sound very experienced and knowledegable , so surely you must agree with me that when minimal to no results follow people are going to leave... usually. Where am I gowing wrong?

Stability Balls are great if used correctly.  My clients would much rather do a Stablility Ball Pike (http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/stability-ball-pike.htm) than your standard Leg Raise.  1) You have to use your shoulders and tris to keep you in position.  2)  You have to maintain a neutral spine postion thoughout the excersise and use lower back, abs and obliquest and 3) I can just see Connie (my 55yr old 5am client) getting a hernia trying to crank out 30 leg raises.

Minimal results, again, are usually the result of the client.  I've had clients who have trainined with NPC level Bodybuilders and then came to me and they get equal, if not better, results.  If they want bigger quads, then we do Leg Extensions.  If they want to have "toned" legs and slim down abit, then it's Mountain Climbers and Alternatind Box Step-Ups.  Remember, give them what they want, then give them what they need. 

About wobble/voodoo/balance boards:  I have a 26 year old Male who wants to get bigger.  Great, that's easy!  But, he wakeboards in the summer and skiis in the winter....alot!  So, in between sets of Romainian Deadlifts followed by Resistance Band Shadowboxing, we hit the voodoo board (http://www.vewdo.com/).  He's seen a dramatic improvement in both sports and his balance is impecable. 

And just for the record you WILL see a lot of bad functional/stability training going on in the next 5 years.  Trainers will be using this style of training for the very reason I stated before, it's different.  The only problem is, they will be doing most excersises wrong, that's probably what Devon97 is seeing.  If its done right and explained right, then it makes sense and gets results.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »
Stability Balls are great if used correctly.  My clients would much rather do a Stablility Ball Pike (http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/stability-ball-pike.htm) than your standard Leg Raise.  1) You have to use your shoulders and tris to keep you in position.  2)  You have to maintain a neutral spine postion thoughout the excersise and use lower back, abs and obliquest and 3) I can just see Connie (my 55yr old 5am client) getting a hernia trying to crank out 30 leg raises.

Minimal results, again, are usually the result of the client.  I've had clients who have trainined with NPC level Bodybuilders and then came to me and they get equal, if not better, results.  If they want bigger quads, then we do Leg Extensions.  If they want to have "toned" legs and slim down abit, then it's Mountain Climbers and Alternatind Box Step-Ups.  Remember, give them what they want, then give them what they need. 

About wobble/voodoo/balance boards:  I have a 26 year old Male who wants to get bigger.  Great, that's easy!  But, he wakeboards in the summer and skiis in the winter....alot!  So, in between sets of Romainian Deadlifts followed by Resistance Band Shadowboxing, we hit the voodoo board (http://www.vewdo.com/).  He's seen a dramatic improvement in both sports and his balance is impecable. 

And just for the record you WILL see a lot of bad functional/stability training going on in the next 5 years.  Trainers will be using this style of training for the very reason I stated before, it's different.  The only problem is, they will be doing most excersises wrong, that's probably what Devon97 is seeing.  If its done right and explained right, then it makes sense and gets results.
Another Oustanding post Mike. You gave excellent examples to everything I asked.
When I mentioned wobble boards or tornado balls or stability balls I see a trainer at the gym I contract out of using such devices. He works with 90% geriatric folks and will toss a med ball back and forth with them or have them stand on a small stability ball and pull on a rubber band. There is almost Zero if any carry over affect in real life. So you see Mike in a situation like this minimal results are the result of the TRAINER! Even if granny and gramps do eat properly they arent going to gain one once of metabolicly active tissue, they wont increase bone density and they wont promote fat loss from EPOC (Excess post oxygen consumption).
As far as the surfer using the voodoo board that is an excellent example of functional training.
However I know very few women that could perform the Pike exercise with the stability ball and if they could the technique would be so poor it would not be worth doing.
SO a client came to you with minimal results after training with a NPC Bodybuilder and to put size on his quads , your exercise of choice was an isolation movement , the Leg extension?? :o I use Mtn Climbers as well but they don't do much at all to promote myogenic tone.
I think that that most of the time a client works with a particular trainer because of the personal relationship that is developed over time. Also very rarely does a client seek out a trainer based off a bizz card , brochure or advertisement.Almost always it is from a personal referral. If Suzzy Q likes her trainer then she will recommend him to all her wealthy friends weather or not he is worth a damn. And so the cycle continues.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
Another Oustanding post Mike. You gave excellent examples to everything I asked.
When I mentioned wobble boards or tornado balls or stability balls I see a trainer at the gym I contract out of using such devices. He works with 90% geriatric folks and will toss a med ball back and forth with them or have them stand on a small stability ball and pull on a rubber band. There is almost Zero if any carry over affect in real life. So you see Mike in a situation like this minimal results are the result of the TRAINER! Even if granny and gramps do eat properly they arent going to gain one once of metabolicly active tissue, they wont increase bone density and they wont promote fat loss from EPOC (Excess post oxygen consumption).
As far as the surfer using the voodoo board that is an excellent example of functional training.
However I know very few women that could perform the Pike exercise with the stability ball and if they could the technique would be so poor it would not be worth doing.
SO a client came to you with minimal results after training with a NPC Bodybuilder and to put size on his quads , your exercise of choice was an isolation movement , the Leg extension?? :o I use Mtn Climbers as well but they don't do much at all to promote myogenic tone.
I think that that most of the time a client works with a particular trainer because of the personal relationship that is developed over time. Also very rarely does a client seek out a trainer based off a bizz card , brochure or advertisement.Almost always it is from a personal referral. If Suzzy Q likes her trainer then she will recommend him to all her wealthy friends weather or not he is worth a damn. And so the cycle continues.

Your trainer sucks.  Sorry to say.  I hope you have insurance becasue granny is likely to take a spill.  In this case, yes, it is the trainer.  I think he's trying to promote good balance, posture and stablility, which is good for that crowd.  Nothing worse than a slip-and-fall resulting and a broken wrist, hand or hip.  Limited mobility/flexibility and loss of balance is something that needs to be addresses when you train anyone over 40 or the deconditioned but it seems like he's going about it all wrong.  Again, you'll see a lot of this bad training popping up in the coming years.

You're right, the pike is advanced ,we'd start with a Jacknife or just hold in that position for a beginner.   I still thinks that's better, and safer, than lying leg raises. 

To clarify, she got good results from her NPC trainer (despite giving her a rotate cuff injury that led to surgery).  She did NOT want bigger legs, I was just using that as an example.  Sure, Leg Extensions are not the best for size but it's a great example of an excersise people typically use to "tone" their legs when, in reality,  they're doing the exact opposite.  I'd rather see her doing a cardio-based leg excersise (mountain climbers, box jumps, shuffles, resisted running...) and have her burn kcals as well as feeling sore in the targeted areas.  That's giving her what she wants and needs.

I think we're both on the same page here

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 02:22:25 AM »
Your trainer sucks.  Sorry to say.  I hope you have insurance becasue granny is likely to take a spill.  In this case, yes, it is the trainer.  I think he's trying to promote good balance, posture and stablility, which is good for that crowd.  Nothing worse than a slip-and-fall resulting and a broken wrist, hand or hip.  Limited mobility/flexibility and loss of balance is something that needs to be addresses when you train anyone over 40 or the deconditioned but it seems like he's going about it all wrong.  Again, you'll see a lot of this bad training popping up in the coming years.

You're right, the pike is advanced ,we'd start with a Jacknife or just hold in that position for a beginner.   I still thinks that's better, and safer, than lying leg raises. 

To clarify, she got good results from her NPC trainer (despite giving her a rotate cuff injury that led to surgery).  She did NOT want bigger legs, I was just using that as an example.  Sure, Leg Extensions are not the best for size but it's a great example of an excersise people typically use to "tone" their legs when, in reality,  they're doing the exact opposite.  I'd rather see her doing a cardio-based leg excersise (mountain climbers, box jumps, shuffles, resisted running...) and have her burn kcals as well as feeling sore in the targeted areas.  That's giving her what she wants and needs.

I think we're both on the same page here

Your right I think we are on the same page.
Just for the record, the trainer I described is not working for me in fact he is very successful with almost 70 clients and 2 other trainers working under him. Very friendly guy but very poor trainer. Good points.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »
What most people on this board doesn't understand....that functional training is for everyone.  The more knowledge you have on core/stability training, the more money you're going to make.  I know personally 6 personal trainers that make @ 150k (on the books) ....just for tax reasons.  In reality...make over 200k annually.  Most of them are former Marine Bodybuilders with big ego's.  When they started, they had a hard time keeping clients & getting a large referral base going (they were training regualr people like a bodybuilder).  When they took up balance & core stability training they're income doubled.   Over time, their client base increased (huge referral business alone), & the results that people were wanting, were receiving it.
........................ ........................ ........................ .........
The average person coming into a gym wants "cosmetic" changes....appearance.  Functional training is not gonna do that.  Yeah I see some yo-yo doing dyna disc squats on a smith machine...core stability, proprioception, blah, blah, blah.  I've been training people for 21 years.  Trained throughout many populations, coach for NY state games for physically challenged, athletes, BB's and typical men and women looking to lose weight or just simply look good.  While some trainers have their clients balancing on dyna discs lifting medecine balls throughout a certain plane, I have my 70 year old clients doing chair squats for reps of 15 throughout a comfotable range of motion with bodyweight then slowly progressing with bells until one guy was doing 35 pound bells in each hand for sets of 20.  Of course he was gardening and moving around like a 25 year old...strength, endurance, balance etc improved tremendously. 

I laugh when I hear these trainers saying "functional training", Calos santana created it etc...the fact is speak to any gymnast, ice skater and you'll see this stuff has been done for decades.  People see medi balls and think wow this is new...take a look at jack demsey training in 1920 and you'll see plenty of upper body plyo's and medicine ball work.  take the circus out of the gym and keep it real.  Atheletes should be incorporating some of this stuff into their training (like I do personally) but not the average joe looking to get in the best shape of their life.  I live right near IHP...it's an awesome place and Calos DOES incorporate a lot of legit weight training into his training.  He is very good because he realizes the value of weight training, but to suggest that anything he does is new and cutting edge and innovative isn't accurate.  Rope climbing has been done for a hundred years..simple pys ed to the military to athletics it's been done as has alll the other stuff.  He does look to find way to simulate movements done for sports and stuff, but that has been done.  Tom Kinney of TK star exercise equipment based some of his designs on simulating move,ments in sports.  His reverse squat is really just created from a linemans explosive push off at the snap.  NOTHING IS NEW...things are tweeked a bit but seriously nothing is new.
Also, too bad that your success in terms of finaces does NOT reflect the trainer you are.  Just like in Boxing some of the best trainers in the world are in the dingy gyms across america.  It's all marketing...Perception is reality.  You DO NOT have to be good to earn a lot of money personal training you just have to market your self.  Throughout my years in the gym I've seen many people, my friends included, that have earned in excess of 100 bucks and hour and they do not know more than the average person in a gym.  Remember perception is reality and if you want to make everyone think you are good start by getting a good certification..In places that are high end clubs you are judged only by certification.  Don't worry about difficulty, they take as much effort to pass as a bach level first semester exam...My friend came from a hair dresser backround, studied for two months and took NSCA and passed.  I gave her a high five as she raised her fee from 50 to 100 and got it because the clubs members were MISLEAD to believe that it actually meant anything.  I'm not putting down education, research just the fact that many use it as the sole basis of their judgement. 

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2006, 03:27:07 PM »
........................ ........................ ........................ .........
The average person coming into a gym wants "cosmetic" changes....appearance.  Functional training is not gonna do that.  Yeah I see some yo-yo doing dyna disc squats on a smith machine...core stability, proprioception, blah, blah, blah.  I've been training people for 21 years.  Trained throughout many populations, coach for NY state games for physically challenged, athletes, BB's and typical men and women looking to lose weight or just simply look good.  While some trainers have their clients balancing on dyna discs lifting medecine balls throughout a certain plane, I have my 70 year old clients doing chair squats for reps of 15 throughout a comfotable range of motion with bodyweight then slowly progressing with bells until one guy was doing 35 pound bells in each hand for sets of 20.  Of course he was gardening and moving around like a 25 year old...strength, endurance, balance etc improved tremendously. 

I laugh when I hear these trainers saying "functional training", Calos santana created it etc...the fact is speak to any gymnast, ice skater and you'll see this stuff has been done for decades.  People see medi balls and think wow this is new...take a look at jack demsey training in 1920 and you'll see plenty of upper body plyo's and medicine ball work.  take the circus out of the gym and keep it real.  Atheletes should be incorporating some of this stuff into their training (like I do personally) but not the average joe looking to get in the best shape of their life.  I live right near IHP...it's an awesome place and Calos DOES incorporate a lot of legit weight training into his training.  He is very good because he realizes the value of weight training, but to suggest that anything he does is new and cutting edge and innovative isn't accurate.  Rope climbing has been done for a hundred years..simple pys ed to the military to athletics it's been done as has alll the other stuff.  He does look to find way to simulate movements done for sports and stuff, but that has been done.  Tom Kinney of TK star exercise equipment based some of his designs on simulating move,ments in sports.  His reverse squat is really just created from a linemans explosive push off at the snap.  NOTHING IS NEW...things are tweeked a bit but seriously nothing is new.
Also, too bad that your success in terms of finaces does NOT reflect the trainer you are.  Just like in Boxing some of the best trainers in the world are in the dingy gyms across america.  It's all marketing...Perception is reality.  You DO NOT have to be good to earn a lot of money personal training you just have to market your self.  Throughout my years in the gym I've seen many people, my friends included, that have earned in excess of 100 bucks and hour and they do not know more than the average person in a gym.  Remember perception is reality and if you want to make everyone think you are good start by getting a good certification..In places that are high end clubs you are judged only by certification.  Don't worry about difficulty, they take as much effort to pass as a bach level first semester exam...My friend came from a hair dresser backround, studied for two months and took NSCA and passed.  I gave her a high five as she raised her fee from 50 to 100 and got it because the clubs members were MISLEAD to believe that it actually meant anything.  I'm not putting down education, research just the fact that many use it as the sole basis of their judgement. 

Awesome Post!  Circus show is right, that's the problem with peoples interpretation of "functional training."

My boss has done the IHP Mentorship program and we've had Carlos at our gym several times to give presentations.  I shape my training around his approach and how he does it.  I've seen all his videos (a MUST have) and read most of his books (read Essence of Program Design Manual if you want to see how its done) and it never ceases to amaze me how simple he makes it. 

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »

Outstanding post my friend. We are on the same page as well and your views reflect mine.

Your right knny187 has alot to learn.

Matt4Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 03:01:33 PM »
I too have been training clients a long time, own a pt studio etc. I have a cert from the Cooper Institute and also NASM which is a far superior cert. Some clients want to lean out and lose weight, some want to gain muscle but a lot just want to be able to age gracefully and continue to get up and down stairs, wipe their own ass, etc. This is where "functional training is essential. Balance and core training are far more beneficial to the average person over 40 than bodybuilding. To be an excellent trainer you must know both and have an open mind. If you view the body as a building then the core is the foundation. Makes sense you want a strong and solid foundation before you worry about painting the walls doesn't it? You must also realize that a muscle can only move what a joint can stablize. Core and stabaliztion training have their place in bodybuilding too. Don't negate something because of what you hear the tough guys in the gym say or because you don't understand it. The first thing I do with Bbuilders is take them through a month to six weeks of stability training doing all traditional moves but adding an unstable environment. You do this by taking away the bench and having them do unilateral moves on stability balls or train them on their feet on a free motion machine or have them do one leg squats etc.What this does is forces the stabilizer muscles to catch up with the already strong primary movers. Now guess what happens when you go back to old school training. Correct....you break plateaus and come back that much stronger. To be honest, most bbuilders I have worked with have horrible balance and core strength. EVERYONE benefits from this kind of training. It does not have to be forever but it does have everyday benefits. Balance and stability are essential as we age but  also helps athletes, including bodybuilders at all levels. So next time you see a trainer having a client stand on one leg or do something you don't understand, look up the word proprioception and learn something new. You may yourself benefit from this. Getting someone lean or buff is easy and I don't say this to sound arrogant but it's true. Fixing somebody's muscle imbalances, postural distortions, increasing range of motion and balance, getting rid of chronic pain and greatly improving their quality of life......well that brings untold rewards and believe me, gets you a lot of clients. Great trainers never stop learning and also realize they will never know it all. Good luck to all of you and if you are in the area of Tarpon Springs FL feel free to look me up and come by and train

Minihulk

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »
This is some information that I am very concerned about finding out so if all you personal trainers on here can answer these few questions for me?

1.)Do you set your own hours or are you on a "timeclock"?

2.)Do you have to be certified or liscensed? If certified do you have to re-certify periodically or due you need more education everytime you re-certify.

3.)How long due you have to attend college?

4.)What kind of classes do you have to take?

5.)How much pay do you recieve at starting pay?

6.)How much can you earn after 10 to 15 years?

7.)What other benefits (insurance, paid leave, retirement) are included?

Thanks any info will be helpful.
"Overdone.."

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2006, 06:06:12 AM »
What's up fellows? Haven't been in here for a while and I need some help from my fellow trainers on this board. I have been running my own training business out of a gym for about 1 1/2 months now and I have grossed about $7,000.00. Excited but, I have went about three weeks without getting a new client.

I have been approached by former Olympia and still a stud (Larry Scott) in regards to using his Biophase system in the gym and to become Larry Scott certified which is not nationally recognized but holds some clout due to who he is. I am wondering if any of you know of any gyms that use his system and any trainers who are on board with his company. I would become an employee of his company. He would train me on his system, I would sell his supplements, he would give me a computer with his programs there for me to use in which I can tap into the nutrition side of training which you all know is the REAL part of training. Of course he gets a % of the earnings and now I am getting 100% of my earnings. They do my marketing monthly for me instead of me never having any time to do any. Once I get bigger into it they cover my medical insurance which I am on my own owning my own business. Of course the rep said that I should earn 30% more then I earn now by using this program but I need some info if you have it before I make this decision. As always, I am excited to hear what you guys have to say.

Train Insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 07:27:18 PM »
What's up fellows? Haven't been in here for a while and I need some help from my fellow trainers on this board. I have been running my own training business out of a gym for about 1 1/2 months now and I have grossed about $7,000.00. Excited but, I have went about three weeks without getting a new client.

I have been approached by former Olympia and still a stud (Larry Scott) in regards to using his Biophase system in the gym and to become Larry Scott certified which is not nationally recognized but holds some clout due to who he is. I am wondering if any of you know of any gyms that use his system and any trainers who are on board with his company. I would become an employee of his company. He would train me on his system, I would sell his supplements, he would give me a computer with his programs there for me to use in which I can tap into the nutrition side of training which you all know is the REAL part of training. Of course he gets a % of the earnings and now I am getting 100% of my earnings. They do my marketing monthly for me instead of me never having any time to do any. Once I get bigger into it they cover my medical insurance which I am on my own owning my own business. Of course the rep said that I should earn 30% more then I earn now by using this program but I need some info if you have it before I make this decision. As always, I am excited to hear what you guys have to say.

Train Insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know too much about it but it seems like you're doing fine alredy, depending on where you live, $5K a month is good for a trainer. 

From the website it looks like you'll be puttin they're information in a computer, printing out a program and going though it with them.  Then you'd be selling his supplements and making 20% all whilst paying $1,500 to do so.  It sounds pretty insulting to the client if you ask me.

swatranger

• Getbig I
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 01:17:13 PM »
Mike, I appreciate you posting your thoughts Bro!! I do not want to be insulting at all to my clients. Tell me why you would feel that way so I can better understand.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
Mike, I appreciate you posting your thoughts Bro!! I do not want to be insulting at all to my clients. Tell me why you would feel that way so I can better understand.

Well, for one, this system can't possibly know the specific needs of each of your clients.  Think about their daily lives: Some have 4 small children, some are bodybuilders, some are young athletes, some are recovering from an injury and some might be old.   Now add on the fact that each of those populations lead different lives within their own populations and you have a set of goals and needs that can't possibly be predicted using a computer system.

Just give it a little thought, do some research and check out some seminars from some respected speakers and you should have more than enough knowledge to help your clients.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2006, 11:24:54 PM »
I have just read this entire thread. Im upset I didnt see it sooner, I dont frequent the business board. I should being a business owner (landscape design/build). I am going to start PTing at a new gym the end of this month so I thought I would take in all everyone has to offer. GREAT THREAD!

Any books that you would say are a must have in respect to the profession?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
I have just read this entire thread. Im upset I didnt see it sooner, I dont frequent the business board. I should being a business owner (landscape design/build). I am going to start PTing at a new gym the end of this month so I thought I would take in all everyone has to offer. GREAT THREAD!

Any books that you would say are a must have in respect to the profession?

JC Santana : Essence of Program Design:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4561_A_CategoryID_E_252

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »

Looks like a great buy! You have used it I assume? How has it changed your views on program design?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »
Looks like a great buy! You have used it I assume? How has it changed your views on program design?

A lot of what he has in there I already knew from working with him and going to various seminars but it's a great tool for someone looking for multiple types of programs for multiple types of clients at all skill levels and need.  It takes you through various sample workouts, gives you a giant excersise catolog with picutres and has some great training articles.  It's a must have for any trainer looking to improve their program design or general training.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »

JC is the greatest  ;D

I think I only paid $38 for that book  :-\
:

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »
I'll get it this week! ;D

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
I've taken a few courses at an ECA convention with J C.

Learned a whole lot.

Sandra