Author Topic: Running and lifting  (Read 5758 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Running and lifting
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
Any of youse guys combine running and lifting? I know this is a bodybuilding site but I figure there might be some guys that train outside of the typical bodybuilding parameters.  Right now I'm trying to lift a day and run a day. I find with this method dreading some workouts is a given for me. This is what I did yesterday and today.

Yesterday: Back and chest

Pull up assist machine 2 x 8 30lbs of assist.  ( I have a bad shoulder and pure body weight pull ups would cause many days of pain. Did these slow and controlled)
Seated cable row with V handle 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs (dead hang and all the way up)
Hammer pulldowns 2 x 10 155lbs

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8 225lbs
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 8 65lbs ( all the way down and up)
dumbbell flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Hammer bench 2 x 6
Push ups 1 x 20

Conventional deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs 1 x 1 315lbs
Weighted back hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 22
Ab crunch machine 2 x 22

The next day meaning today I ran 5.1 miles. They were slow 9:30 pace miles but at my age and present condition I really felt it. After I hit the heavy bag for a couple of rounds. Tomorrow is leg day.

I'm interested in learning how other guys combine running and lifting. One guy's suggestion is to train in a Yates type way. One set to failure for each exercise and 45 minute or so workouts. That way I will have energy for both running and lifting. Several guys have said use moderate weights and make it heavy by limited rest between sets and racing through the sets. In other words making a light weight heavy.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Running and lifting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:36:32 AM »
All the time.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=554769.775

Read some of that thread. I hear going on a ruck. Are you in the military?  Last week I was in Fort Benning watching the Airborne train and they had to run with their heavy parachutes after the drop to the staging area. My son is in the Airborne and he said he never weighed the parachutes but he thinks they weigh 40lbs and he had to run about a mile after the drop with it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:47:55 AM »
Read some of that thread. I hear going on a ruck. Are you in the military?  Last week I was in Fort Benning watching the Airborne train and they had to run with their heavy parachutes after the drop to the staging area. My son is in the Airborne and he said he never weighed the parachutes but he thinks they weigh 40lbs and he had to run about a mile after the drop with it.

Nah, not in the military, but I've learned that they've had the fitness thing down pat, so I follow follow some of their training styles.

Rucking is awesome exercise.  We rucked the Boston Marathon earlier this year as part of a veteran's fundraiser.

But I cycle training styles....haven't rucked in two months, since the program I'm following doesn't have it in there.

But I will again.
Y