Author Topic: How much does it cost to put on a BB show?  (Read 2368 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
How much does it cost to put on a BB show?
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
After watching the RX hustle clip in Vince's thread, it got me wondering. They seem so cheap and cheesy, usually held in some gym for next to no money. These promotors have to be cleaning up. I mean, you get 500-1,000 schmoes to show up at $30 a ticket, get sponsors to throw in another $100k and then have a $20k purse. Is there more to it than that? Why wouldn't they want more exposure? Why only have it directed to your own site?

Jayel

• Getbig III
Re: How much does it cost to put on a BB show?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
In Mike Pulcinella's NYBB Blue videos, Weinberger is Interviewed and he bitches about how expensive the New York Pro is to put on, paying out prize money etc etc. I find it interesting though that the predecessor to the NY pro, the Night of Champions was a $30k purse for the winner, as compared to the lowly $10k for the NY Pro.. How do these bodybuilders even cover their expenses?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »
ONETIMEHARD could tell you.....he works a lot of contests.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »
The real money is in the NPC not IFBB, no prize money.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:57:57 AM »
Putting on any type of trade show can be expensive... or it can be cheap. A GOOD show has extensive advertising. That can eat up as much as you want.

As for bodybuilding, I don't see them advertise anywhere.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
Basile as guest poser would attract mega crowd .................. ::)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 05:48:27 AM »
Couple grand for the hall, about $30 for some plastic bowls as trophies and $100,000 worth of cleaning to remove pro-tan and jizz from every possible surface.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 05:50:38 AM »
I can put one on for free in my basement/garage
a

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:07 AM »
Putting on any type of trade show can be expensive... or it can be cheap. A GOOD show has extensive advertising. That can eat up as much as you want.

As for bodybuilding, I don't see them advertise anywhere.

I would think all you would need to do would be to invite someone like DLB and there would be a following that would come to see her guest pose.

Side note, is she still the "it" girl for FBB?  I haven't seen much on her in the last few weeks.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
You're right.

Plenty of people would flock to see these internet personalities. Even people on this site.

And what's the cost to hire some of these people? The fucked up part is probably many do it for free. The industry has done a marvelous job at keeping it's athletes underpaid and under-recognized. The only people that "make it" today are self made and seem to have no attachment whatsoever to "fitness" companies.

That says a lot.

The Weiders created an empire, but it's a shitty one with 99% of the rewards at the top. Enough trickles down to keep minimal interest.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »
I would think all you would need to do would be to invite someone like DLB and there would be a following that would come to see her guest pose.

Side note, is she still the "it" girl for FBB?  I haven't seen much on her in the last few weeks.
Thank God for small favors!!  :D

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
Couple grand for the hall, about $30 for some plastic bowls as trophies and $100,000 worth of cleaning to remove pro-tan and jizz from every possible surface.

That Kai's statue as trophies  ;)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
whatever medival times charges for a chinese conan the barbarian sword nowadays , that usually the top trophy prize

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »
The real money is in the NPC not IFBB, no prize money.

Yep.  I paid $50 for my last IFBB ticket and that's only because my friend  who is a Pro was competing so I wanted to get right up front.  Most of the people were in the audience for friends and family.  The guy next to me was horrified at all that was going on since it was his first one.  He asked me if I was a regular.  I said Nope.

So that tells me that the NPC makes all the money because you get people to pay all of that money to support their loved ones.  Even though this was an IFBB men's show, the majority of the audience was there for men's physique and bikini people.

Not sure how many pro shows can survive on their own.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
I can put one on for free in my basement/garage

Where the schmoes live

X

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »
Yep.  I paid $50 for my last IFBB ticket and that's only because my friend  who is a Pro was competing so I wanted to get right up front.  Most of the people were in the audience for friends and family.  The guy next to me was horrified at all that was going on since it was his first one.  He asked me if I was a regular.  I said Nope.

So that tells me that the NPC makes all the money because you get people to pay all of that money to support their loved ones.  Even though this was an IFBB men's show, the majority of the audience was there for men's physique and bikini people.

Not sure how many pro shows can survive on their own.
The only pro shows that can survive on their own is the big ones with the BB stars in it.

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
The only pro shows that can survive on their own is the big ones with the BB stars in it.

Like the Arnold and Olympia.  That's what I thought.  Those are the only two I even consider attending.

I am excited to see how the Women's BB show does this weekend.

Sorry y'all but I hate sitting through the umpteen bikini and physique people at a IFBB pro/NPC show.  Half the people look like they've been training for 6 months and are up there wiggling and jiggling.  The MPD people have no legs and too much hair.  Thankfully at the IFBB show I went to, they did the BB, WPD, and Figure competitors first and then the let the men get up there.  I was so thankful because I texted my friend that I was leaving if I had to sit through MPD and Bikini before they came on.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
I regularly attend pro surf grand prix's & see 11 times world champ & many others for free on the beaches.........

paying tickets to see almost naked man & bulky bellies  :P, that really sucks ..............