Author Topic: Dumbell shoulder press  (Read 11616 times)

orion

• Getbig IV
Dumbell shoulder press
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »
Okay Einsteins, what the best way to do them, some say let the dumbbell right down to the shoulder, and some say let it down just until your arm is parallel to the floor.  Arm parallel means you can use more weight so I'm thinking it's an ego thing.  I use the first method.  What say the GB experts?

Knooger

• Getbig V
Re: Dumbell shoulder press
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
Need cock pics in order to tailor dumbbell shoulder press for you.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
i actually prefer the arnold press.
X

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
xeyQw

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
I like to press them up in the air then lower them down

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
Whichever way best suits your body mechanics, flexibility and injuries.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
Three inches above the shoulder involves the triceps for some 80percent of the workload.
h

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
All the way down for me. 

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
i actually prefer the arnold press.
This or arms parallel to the floor if u plan on training for a very long time. Going really deep and behind the neck presses will tear your shoulders up over the years. Train smart, we didn't know all this over 30 yrs ago.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
Whichever way best suits your body mechanics, flexibility and injuries.

Nailed it 100% ^^^^

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »
Okay Einsteins, what the best way to do them, some say let the dumbbell right down to the shoulder, and some say let it down just until your arm is parallel to the floor.  Arm parallel means you can use more weight so I'm thinking it's an ego thing.  I use the first method.  What say the GB experts?
i bring my my arms down until my upper arms are parallel to the floor and my forearms are 90* to my uppers. Any deeper and i start getting a weird pain/ripping sensation in my shoulder. I also stop just shy of lockout.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »
Upper arms parallel to the ground if you want to stroke your ego and impress the clueless with massive weight. All the way down if you want to keep flexibility in your shoulders but then you can't be delusional about how much weight you can move.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 05:55:57 AM »
Try these...

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
I used to do the full ROM thing until I hurt my left shoulder about 6 months ago, now I put a lot of thought into any overhead work. I've found that doing neutral grip military presses with a trap bar from pins set at about 3" above my shoulders works very well. Bring it down to the pins and pause (dead stop method) and back up.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:10 AM »
Upper arms parallel to the ground if you want to stroke your ego and impress the clueless with massive weight. All the way down if you want to keep flexibility in injure your shoulders but then you can't be delusional about how much weight you can move.

FIFY.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
Gte them up with spotters assistance then lower them 3 inches while screaming. That's what real men do.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

This or this :

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »
Upper arms parallel to the ground if you want to stroke your ego and impress the clueless with massive weight. All the way down if you want to keep flexibility in your shoulders but then you can't be delusional about how much weight you can move.
I dont give a shit about ego lifting, i do give a shit about tearing up my joints and results.

Going to parrallel drastically reduced the pain and mobility issues in my shoulders (left one in particular), i get better pumps using the same weight, and i see better results.

Fuck going down past parallel, it does nothing for me.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
I used to do the full ROM thing until I hurt my left shoulder about 6 months ago, now I put a lot of thought into any overhead work. I've found that doing neutral grip military presses with a trap bar from pins set at about 3" above my shoulders works very well. Bring it down to the pins and pause (dead stop method) and back up.

Yeah, that last few inches is brutal on the shoulders if you don't have great thoracic mobility which 99% of us don't

In fact most people are in no shape to safely overhead press anything never mind full rom with heavy weights

I do superslow with a plate a side on the hammer machine , one arm at a time, after chest and laterals. Ohp just isn't safe

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
FIFY.

Wrong. What he posted is correct.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
Wrong. What he posted is correct.

Enjoy rehab.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
Enjoy rehab.
im with you, same here.

As an anecdote, ive often noticed the guys who lift with 'improper form' often have the best development, which makes me questiom the validity of the 'proper form nazis' when it comes to physique development....

Clearly it matters in competitive lifting where range of motion is judged, but when it comes to BB the guys who lift by the book never seem to attain the same level as the guys who modify the form best for their bodies.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
I dont give a shit about ego lifting, i do give a shit about tearing up my joints and results.

Going to parrallel drastically reduced the pain and mobility issues in my shoulders (left one in particular), i get better pumps using the same weight, and i see better results.

Fuck going down past parallel, it does nothing for me.
You think Coach would agree with this. U are 100% correct. Wait until they get a shoulder injury, u can get away with anything when u are young.  Look at all of the older BB who can't do any pressing movements anymore, this is why a lot of them have shitty triceps now.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »
Okay Einsteins, what the best way to do them, some say let the dumbbell right down to the shoulder, and some say let it down just until your arm is parallel to the floor.  Arm parallel means you can use more weight so I'm thinking it's an ego thing.  I use the first method.  What say the GB experts?
Dumbbell Shoulder Press is complete bullshit the way most people do them.  Most people use a bench with a backing and the press their back so hard against the chair as that is the only way to get the weight up.  They use DBs they should not be handling at all and most will do half reps.  Even if they don`t do half reps that pressure against the chair is taking emphasis off the shoulders.

Best way to do them is seating with no backing behind you.  Just on a flat bench.  You can`t cheat and its all shoulders.  The other is just complete bullshit.  Also, bring them all they way down.  The 90 degree parallel is for morons and you can do a ton of weight that way.

Also, another variation is do them standing keeping the legs locked.