Author Topic: Any metalhead getbiggers?  (Read 199523 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Any metalhead getbiggers?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:58 AM »
Grew up with metal... Still love a bit pantera/anthrax/megadeath

Its good to widen your horizon's tho.....

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 01:18:14 AM »
went to see wasp two weeks ago

their new album is their best yet

33 years since their first

Saw video. Blackie may not look so good anymore, but the vocals are still sick.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 01:18:59 AM »
Grew up with metal... Still love a bit pantera/anthrax/megadeath

Its good to widen your horizon's tho.....

Of course, that's what jazz is for.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 01:30:51 AM »
For my workout playlist, I've recently rediscovered bands like Prong and Coal Chamber.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 01:37:08 AM »
Saw video. Blackie may not look so good anymore, but the vocals are still sick.

he must be sixty

his voacals are amazing now though
T

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:14 AM »
Count me in. Spent a lot of time listening all kinds of music (from noise and industrial to pop&jazz), but still love metal the most. There are too many great bands to name, literally hundreds. I'll throw in some clips of stuff you probably missed.

Lately I was checking what's good in modern speed metal and that Enforcer band is gold.

Fans of prog death should like this:

Check out this band if you like Bathory's Hammerheart.

It's been a lot of Annihilator and Death Angel for me lately, I kinda missed them through the years and god that shit is amazing.
Jeff Waters played some solid shuffle rhytms in this song, wish he'd done more in that style.

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 03:17:54 AM »

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
went to see wasp two weeks ago

their new album is their best yet

33 years since their first

I've seen them live a year or two ago. Blackie is old and fat, looks like shit, but still has the voice.
Great band. Headless children is masterpiece of an album.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 05:00:35 AM »
Just found out that Maiden is playing Madison Square Garden in March 8)

...two bands I've seen live the most are Maiden and Pearl Jam.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:40 AM »
Yes, sir. These guys played in my little ghetto town in '83. Two future legends, crazy. Nowheresville. Year or two later I saw Yngwie with Hiroshima, I think (?), opened for Ratt in L.A. Paul Bonnet singing, maybe, sound familiar?

I know Alcatrazz was a band with Graham Bonnet (Rainbow / Michael Schenker) and Yngwie for a while...

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »
Just found out that Maiden is playing Madison Square Garden in March 8)

...two bands I've seen live the most are Maiden and Pearl Jam.

awesome
T

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 05:24:02 AM »

awesome

Have you heard any of the new Maiden album?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 05:37:08 AM »
No Steeler or Keel?

1) This is where I stopped caring about labels, just got too confusing. (Not attacking.)
B) Yes! Though maybe more 'hard rock' these days.
*) Dude, how many songs on your iPod/Pad/whatever right now?

Oh, man. I recorded a cover of a tune from that Steeler album for my girlfriend in high school. And Keel rules. The new record from a few years back is super good.

My iPod has perhaps 40 albums on it. But truthfully, I jam most of my music on my home stereo or in my Jeep.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »
Started with classic heavy. Maiden (my first love), Priest, Manowar etc.
Some American power-progressive. Crimson Glory, Jag Panzer, Omen, Nevermore etc.
Industrial I really liked, especially Ministry, Godflesh, Pitchshifter, etc.
Their offshoots the "groovy" 90s metal bands were very special. Pantera, Machine Head and Fear Factory. 8 December 2004 is a date etched on my mind.
The UK grind/death scene always had decent stuff. Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, etc.
Thrash had a special place in my heart especially Testament.
Black metal with the exception of a couple of records I never got into and I could only listen to UK death metal.

Got involved for a bit in the UK scene writing for webzines, doing interviews and helping organise concerts. Moved on gradually in my mid-20s.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »
I have everything from Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Shining, Dimmu Borgir and other black stuff, love Severe Torture and few brutal-death bands, and of course progressive-avantgarde like Arcturus, Winds, Age Of Silence, Power-Melodic stuff like Dragonland and Blind Guardian included... Started with Morbid Angel and Pantera back in the days, with their pre-groove period included, love the Power Metal album, then Megadeth, liked Iron Maiden for a bit but not that much, hated Metallica, they always seemed poserish to me... Big fan of Racer X, Mr Big and Paul Gilbert stuff, and Faith No More with Jim Martin on guitar... I can also listen to Hall & Oates and Spandau Ballet, love me some 80s stuff with legit musicians, or old Jamiroquai for that matter... Big fan of movies-videogames soundtracks also... Pretty much this, i'm sure i forgot something...

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:37 AM »

Have you heard any of the new Maiden album?

no

if im honest I reckon fear of the dark was the last good one

maiden gigs for me are an hour of shit new songs

followed by the best metal songs ever
T

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »
Everything Maiden has done since Bruce came back has been too meandering and "progressive" for me. And this new album is the worst ever in that regard.

But I also like NPFTD, so what do I really know?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »
I really like the old high pitched metal vocals with melodic chord progressions. Danzig, helloween, old metallica, Omen, manowar, some bathory, sabbath., Hammerfall, Sortilege, Anything with dark imagery. I found alot of old great metal by using spotify and checking "similar artists tab".

Sometimes ill listen to some black metal nordic shit if im in the mood for that annoying low grumble/screaming but it HAS to have a good melody and riffs

For newer metal, i cam across this canadian band Skullfist, and they blew me the fuck away with this...they are really bringing that style back in a big way...

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
I have everything from Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Shining, Dimmu Borgir and other black stuff, love Severe Torture and few brutal-death bands, and of course progressive-avantgarde like Arcturus, Winds, Age Of Silence, Power-Melodic stuff like Dragonland and Blind Guardian included... Started with Morbid Angel and Pantera back in the days, with their pre-groove period included, love the Power Metal album, then Megadeth, liked Iron Maiden for a bit but not that much, hated Metallica, they always seemed poserish to me... Big fan of Racer X, Mr Big and Paul Gilbert stuff, and Faith No More with Jim Martin on guitar... I can also listen to Hall & Oates and Spandau Ballet, love me some 80s stuff with legit musicians, or old Jamiroquai for that matter... Big fan of movies-videogames soundtracks also... Pretty much this, i'm sure i forgot something...

Severe Torture hauls ass. Own all the band's CDs.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
I really like the old high pitched metal vocals with melodic chord progressions. Danzig, helloween, old metallica, Omen, manowar, some bathory, sabbath., Hammerfall, Sortilege, Anything with dark imagery. I found alot of old great metal by using spotify and checking "similar artists tab".

Sometimes ill listen to some black metal nordic shit if im in the mood for that annoying low grumble/screaming but it HAS to have a good melody and riffs

For newer metal, i cam across this canadian band Skullfist, and they blew me the fuck away with this...they are really bringing that style back in a big way...

skullfist are awesome

like being in the 80s

good find  8)
T

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
Mind= blown

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
skullfist are awesome

yeah, also Steelwing, Cauldron (Canadians too) and Striker, but Skullfist and Enforcer are the best.
I've read a few interviews and they really aimed for that 80's sound and I think they nailed it, you'll never guess it was recorded in 21st century.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »
Metal Evolution is a must see for all lovers of Metal/Hard Rock. They usually show all the episodes periodically on VH1 Classic, late Saturday nights, every few months. Not sure if it is on Youtube yet.

Frank Reynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »
Been a diehard since 1982.

Never wavered.

Own over 4,000 CDs and 700 music DVDs.

On Wednesday I went to a concert featuring Decapitated (didn't make it over the border >:(), Soilwork and Soulfly. Was awesome.

Tonight I bought the newest live U.D.O. CD/DVD.

Each and every week I purchase anywhere from two to 10 discs.

My favourite bands are: Rush (my first musical love), Annihilator, Pagan's Mind, Decapitated, Fates Warning, Meshuggah, Emperor, Ratt, Monstrosity, Maiden, Priest, In Flames, Iced Earth, (old) Queensryche (new one with the new singer is quite good!), Accept, Pantera, Death, Night Ranger, Winger, Morbid Angel, Obscura, Slayer, Gojira, Dio, etc., etc., etc.

I literally could list DOZENS of other bands, too.

I have one room in my condo dedicated to all my CDs and paraphernalia.

I love quality bands in all substyles of metal. Trad., thrash, power, black (mostly the initial second-wave Norwegian groups, though), death (own HUNDREDS of classic and contemporary albums), hard rock, pop (hair), speed, progressive, etc.

Metal is the blood that flows in my veins.

Did you happen to catch the opener shattered sun fortress?