Author Topic: Pat Tillman's brother blasts Iraq war  (Read 4020 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Pat Tillman's brother blasts Iraq war
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »
PHOENIX - The brother of an NFL player who was killed in Afghanistan after quitting the team to join the U.S. Army Rangers has spoken out.
Kevin Tillman, a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq and Afghanistan with his older brother, Pat Tillman, has remained silent since his brother's death in 2004. But this week, he wrote a scathing indictment of the war in Iraq, the Bush administration and American apathy.

"Somehow, the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes," Kevin wrote on Truthdig.com, which purchased his work.
The brothers, both Arizona State University graduates, joined the Army in response to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. They served together as Rangers with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Pat Tillman, who played defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in April 2004. The Defense Department is investigating allegations of a cover-up, including failure by the U.S. Army to tell Tillman's family for several weeks that he had been killed by gunfire from his fellow Army Rangers, not by enemy fire as they initially were told.
Kevin Tillman has not spoken publicly about the war or his brother's death since his discharge from the Army. But in Truthdig.com, Kevin wrote openly about the war and America's response to it.
"Somehow, the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country. Somehow, this is tolerated. Somehow, nobody is accountable for this.".

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Pat Tillman's brother blasts Iraq war
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:31:53 PM »
i always kinda scratch my head (though i wont say which one) when i read the family of some cowboy who VOLUNTEERED to serve bitching about his untimely demise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:11:50 PM »
i always kinda scratch my head (though i wont say which one) when i read the family of some cowboy who VOLUNTEERED to serve bitching about his untimely demise

Tell me about it.

And 240 I think your headline might be misleading.  Wasn't he was blasting the war in Afghanistan?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »
Tell me about it.

And 240 I think your headline might be misleading.  Wasn't he was blasting the war in Afghanistan?

Why would the invasion of Afghan. be illegal?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:40:14 PM »
Why would the invasion of Afghan. be illegal?

It wasn't, which is part of the reason why Tillman's rant is factually inaccurate.  I thought his commentary was directed to Afghanistan.  If so, then he wasn't blasting the "Iraq war" like your title says.   

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 04:27:31 AM »
I don't know why the Tillman family would have anything negative to say about the war or the armed services especially considering how well Pat's death was handled.

How many times exactly was the family lied to about how he died? I can't remember if it was 5 or 6 times. Good move covering his death up and putting on that charade of a funeral service with testimonials about how he died.  ::)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 02:05:08 PM »
Pat Tillman had big balls but he was a dumbass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 08:30:52 PM »

::)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 08:57:04 PM »

CJ, that was out of line. Why was he a dumbass? Because he loved his country and his fellow citizens enough to walk away from a promising future as a celebrity athlete, in order to put his ass on the line in order to safeguard the likes of you and other Americans?  God knows the world needs more men like Tillman. And when they step up to the plate, hopefully those who call them, as well as those citizens on whose behalf they fight for, will be more worthy of their sacrifices. He was lied to, ...and he paid the ultimate price for it.

Rather than showing contempt for the victim, how about showing a little more respect?!  I say he's earned it >:(
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:44:51 AM »

It wasn't, which is part of the reason why Tillman's rant is factually inaccurate.  I thought his commentary was directed to Afghanistan.  If so, then he wasn't blasting the "Iraq war" like your title says.   

PHOENIX - The brother of an NFL player who was killed in Afghanistan after quitting the team to join the U.S. Army Rangers has spoken out.
Kevin Tillman, a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq and Afghanistan with his older brother, Pat Tillman, has remained silent since his brother's death in 2004. But this week, he wrote a scathing indictment of the war in Iraq, the Bush administration and American apathy.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 01:55:04 AM »

"Somehow, the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes," Kevin wrote on Truthdig.com, which purchased his work.
The brothers, both Arizona State University graduates, joined the Army in response to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. They served together as Rangers with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Pat Tillman, who played defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in April 2004. The Defense Department is investigating allegations of a cover-up, including failure by the U.S. Army to tell Tillman's family for several weeks that he had been killed by gunfire from his fellow Army Rangers, not by enemy fire as they initially were told.
Kevin Tillman has not spoken publicly about the war or his brother's death since his discharge from the Army. But in Truthdig.com, Kevin wrote openly about the war and America's response to it.
"Somehow, the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country. Somehow, this is tolerated. Somehow, nobody is accountable for this.".

I just read his full commentary here : http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200601019_after_pats_birthday/

Even though his comments and sentiments are nothing new to me, ...it still made me cry.  :'(
w

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 09:50:19 AM »
CJ, that was out of line. Why was he a dumbass? Because he loved his country and his fellow citizens enough to walk away from a promising future as a celebrity athlete, in order to put his ass on the line in order to safeguard the likes of you and other Americans?  God knows the world needs more men like Tillman. And when they step up to the plate, hopefully those who call them, as well as those citizens on whose behalf they fight for, will be more worthy of their sacrifices. He was lied to, ...and he paid the ultimate price for it.

Rather than showing contempt for the victim, how about showing a little more respect?!  I say he's earned it >:(

I couldn't have said it better myself. The day of 9/11 Pat Tillman made the decision he couldn't play football while other young men were going to be sent to war. He had to go himself. He did the noble thing and paid for it with his life. He can't help it that we have bungled the war on terror like a bunch of ameteurs.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 09:51:20 AM »

Come on Toxie, that wasn't called for and it certainly isn't true.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »
Anybody sick of hearing about these Tillman dudes? you played the game and your brother lost...too fucking bad...now you are bitching that it is an illegal war...funny, was it fucking illegal when you and your bro were shooting up iraq and afghanistan or just illegal after your brother's died?you tried to be john fucking wayne and now you regret it...guys die every day and they don't get a minute of the time that was spent on pat tillman's death.  be happy that he wasn't forgotten like the rest of the 2800 servicemen.
footloose and fancy free

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »
Come on Toxie, that wasn't called for and it certainly isn't true.

Bmacsys, Toxie didn't say it, CJ did.   :'(
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 10:24:25 AM »
Anybody sick of hearing about these Tillman dudes? you played the game and your brother lost...too fucking bad...now you are bitching that it is an illegal war...funny, was it fucking illegal when you and your bro were shooting up iraq and afghanistan or just illegal after your brother's died?you tried to be john fucking wayne and now you regret it...guys die every day and they don't get a minute of the time that was spent on pat tillman's death.  be happy that he wasn't forgotten like the rest of the 2800 servicemen.

dvalletti, sometimes it's not always about having a loved one killed. Sometimes it's merely a matter of having gone off thinking you were doing the right thing, only to see the reality of the situation... a reality that comes only from having a bird's-eye view of a more accurate perspective from serving in both theatres, a perspective that being state-side couldn't afford you.

But ya, it's gotta suck knowing your brother died from 'friendly-fire', ...and they lied to you about it.
About 25% of Canadian casualties in Aghanistan so far, have come from American 'friendly-fire':-\   :'(
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »
dvalletti, sometimes it's not always about having a loved one killed. Sometimes it's merely a matter of having gone off thinking you were doing the right thing, only to see the reality of the situation... a reality that comes only from having a bird's-eye view of a more accurate perspective from serving in both theatres, a perspective that being state-side couldn't afford you.

But ya, it's gotta suck knowing your brother died from 'friendly-fire', ...and they lied to you about it.
About 25% of Canadian casualties in Aghanistan so far, have come from American 'friendly-fire':-\   :'(

Sorry Jaguar..I wasn't stateside back in 2004...I was in Kuwait and Iraq from april 2004 til february 2005...so i i did see that perspective that you state I could not have had...

oh btw..in war..people die...and accidents like friendly fire happen..when you use real bullets and real weapons stuff like that happens...and when you sign your name on the contract you accept that risk.
footloose and fancy free

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 11:17:55 AM »
actually, he was tehre when it happened, he must have known it was friendly fire, because everyone else in the company did. 

Valhalla awaits.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 11:22:20 AM »
Sorry Jaguar..I wasn't stateside back in 2004...I was in Kuwait and Iraq from april 2004 til february 2005...so i i did see that perspective that you state I could not have had...

I meant that in a general public sense. I didn't mean to imply that you yourself couldn't possibly have had any other perspective than state-side, ...although, I didn't know you were serving in the Middle East. Glad to see you made it back alive.  :)

oh btw..in war..people die...and accidents like friendly fire happen..when you use real bullets and real weapons stuff like that happens...and when you sign your name on the contract you accept that risk.

Ya, ...but friendly fire has still gotta sting.  :-\  

I'm sorry it pains you to have to hear about the Tillmans, ...especially if you feel many of your fallen comrades have been ignored or forgotten in favour of Pat Tillman's celebrity. That can be hard not to resent, ...but at the same time, try to remember that despite his being a celebrity in life, as well as in death, don't lose sight of the fact that he is representative of all those fallen brethen. Consider that the spotlight on Pat Tillman can't help but shine a few rays of light on many of the seemingly forgotten 2800. It's impossible to think of Pat, and not think of them too.
w

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 01:39:21 PM »
Oh yeah walking away from millions to join the army is real smart!  ::)

I'm not questioning the man's courage or integrity, but what he did wasn't very smart. There are many other ways to help your country.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 03:47:54 PM »

I'm not questioning the man's courage or integrity, but what he did wasn't very smart. There are many other ways to help your country.

Ya, but having millions, and not being able to live in your own skin is self-destructive. You see them all the time. Celebrities who sold their souls, then self-destruct cause inside, they truly can't stand themselves, and are unable to get away from the thing they hate most...themselves. He did what he felt he needed to. His decision may not have been mine or yours, ...but the least we can do is to refrain from badmouthing or being disrespectful of the dead, ...especially considering the circumstances of his death.
w

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 03:48:50 PM »
Bmacsys, Toxie didn't say it, CJ did.   :'(

I apologize for my mistake Toxie.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

The money wasn't as important to him as doing what he thought was right.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:33 AM »

You obviously didn't read the commentary.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »
The money wasn't as important to him as doing what he thought was right.

I guess you're right. I shouldn't of judged of him from my point of view, that was pretty stupid.