Author Topic: Evans to get first crack at Griffin's 205lb title  (Read 1630 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Evans to get first crack at Griffin's 205lb title
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
Rashad Evans made the long walk from the dressing room to the Octagon at UFC 88 in Atlanta on Saturday night with an undefeated record and the dream of ascending to a light heavyweight title shot on his shoulders.

With his devastating knockout of former champion Chuck Liddell, his shoulders now bear only the weight of keeping his undefeated record intact, as the title shot is now within his grasp.

Talking about the possibility of a title shot after his stunning performance, Evans said, “I’m a patient man. I’m just enjoying the ride and whatever happens, however long it takes, it takes.”

He didn’t have to be patient for long, however, as UFC president Dana White informed the media at the UFC 88 post-fight press conference that Evans would indeed be tapped to challenge UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in the first defense of his title.

Griffin won the belt in a five-round battle with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 86 in July.

Although White stopped short of confirming when the title bout would take place, it is believed to be part of a planned twin bill, sharing the spotlight on Dec. 27 with a heavyweight interim title bout between champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and challenger Frank Mir.

Nogueira and Mir are the two coaches on tap for Season 8 of The Ultimate Fighter, which debuts on Sept. 17.
Predictions
 40/61

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
Re: Evans to get first crack at Griffin's 205lb title
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
I don't know, but I was saying it over in the other thread; I think they should put Rashad up against either Wanderlei or Rampage for the #1 contender spot. I mean I personally would rather see either of those fights than Wand and Quinton fight again. I like Rashad and I think he's definitely going to be a contender for a while but besides Chuck who has he really beat? He went to a draw with Tito and beat Bisping in a damn close fight. just my two cents..

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
he will lose against griffin. unless he connects with one of those haymakers like he did last night...you know one of those throw it and pray it lands somewhere kind of punches :D
irongearco.com

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
Subject line is a spoiler.
Z

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
I posted this, this afternoon, anyone with half a brain would expect to see stuff like this on every MMA related website the day after the event.  If this was posted last night or in the wee hours of the morning maybe that would be a concern.  Kick rocks Blutroll.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:17 PM »
I'd much rather see Wandy/Griffin...

off the top of my head I could see Evans/Franklin being a half way interesting fight....

I thank Dana's putting a little bit too much emphasis on one haymaker Evans threw and landed against his "poster boy" !

Journeyman

• Getbig II
  • BIGGER STRONGER FASTER!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »
he will lose against griffin. unless he connects with one of those haymakers like he did last night...you know one of those throw it and pray it lands somewhere kind of punches :D

Haymaker? that was a perfect punch !
Journeyman

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »
I posted this, this afternoon, anyone with half a brain would expect to see stuff like this on every MMA related website the day after the event.  If this was posted last night or in the wee hours of the morning maybe that would be a concern.  Kick rocks Blutroll.

Not on here. Spoilers been gone from here ever since I got you kicked off as a mod and took over. The minute I'm without buttons and gone for the weekend you're back at posting spoilers. That's not cool and totally unnecessary. Just put *Spoiler* in the subject line, how hard can it be?
Z

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:32:17 AM »
Not on here. Spoilers been gone from here ever since I got you kicked off as a mod and took over. The minute I'm without buttons and gone for the weekend you're back at posting spoilers. That's not cool and totally unnecessary. Just put *Spoiler* in the subject line, how hard can it be?

Stop playing Devil's Advocate all the time and just enjoy the board please, you're just starting shit to start shit.  Anyone who didn't see the fights who cared about them found out soon enough through espn or fox sports online who won the fights.  It's not the end of the world man.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
I think some old advice would be applicable here

If you haven't see the latest event - stay off the MMA board rather than complain. Since someone will inevitably leak the results on the g&O stay off getbig and get some work done offline.
Once you download it or watch it online/whatever then come back and join the discussion. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:29 AM »
All I did was to point out that out of respect, you should put *Spoiler* in the subject line. That's all. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Surely the board is better off without spoilers ruining the fun for the people who for whatever reason didn't get to see the fights just yet.
Z

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
Bluto is back and the same shit starts again.  :'( ::)

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »
griffin is one dedicated sum bitch. He trains his ass off. evans is a good fighter but i would prob have to go with griffin in this one. It would be a really good fight though.
J