Author Topic: Mayweather/Pacman likely for May 13th  (Read 1368 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Mayweather/Pacman likely for May 13th
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »
It looks like the biggest details have been sewn up in the negotiations to get Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. into the ring. March 13 is the most likely date and now the venue is the big question. The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Cowboy Stadium in Dallas, Yankee Stadium and The Superdome in New Orleans are all being mentioned. The other idea floated was to erect a temporary 30,000 seat stadium in the middle of the Las Vegas strip. That idea may be impossible now with the March date because of weather risks. This talk is intriguing but not based much in fact. Bob Arum made it clear what the biggest stumbling block is as far as a location is, the state tax man.

During the Miguel Cotto-Pacquiao postfight, Arum lectured a reporter on what states like New York would do to the Filipino's purse. He pointed out that upwards of 45-percent would be withheld when you add in city, state and federal taxes. Arum wants Pacquiao to fight in more tax friendly states like Nevada, Texas or Florida where there is no state income tax. It would nice for boxing to hold the fight in front of 30,000-50,000 fans but Mayweather will be a big factor. As a Las Vegas resident, he's got to favor a fight at the MGM. 
Predictions
 40/61

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Mayweather/Pacman likely for May 13th
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
Pacquiao vs. Clottey

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/boxing/01/08/pacquiao.clottey/index.html

It didn't take long for Pacman to put the Mayweather debacle behind him.  I'm looking forward to this fight.  Clottey is an excellent boxer who can hit hard, and take a beating.  That should make for an interesting fight with Pac.  I'd like to see Pac vs. Mosley or JMM 3 next.  Mayweather vs. Pacman would have been a great fight.  I think Mayweather is unsure of his himself vs. Pacman, and doesn't want to risk tarnishing his perfect record, so he started with the crazy blood test demands fully expecting Pacmans camp to reject them.  

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
Pacquiao vs. Clottey

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/boxing/01/08/pacquiao.clottey/index.html

It didn't take long for Pacman to put the Mayweather debacle behind him.  I'm looking forward to this fight.  Clottey is an excellent boxer who can hit hard, and take a beating.  That should make for an interesting fight with Pac.  I'd like to see Pac vs. Mosley or JMM 3 next.  Mayweather vs. Pacman would have been a great fight.  I think Mayweather is unsure of his himself vs. Pacman, and doesn't want to risk tarnishing his perfect record, so he started with the crazy blood test demands fully expecting Pacmans camp to reject them.  

the demands for the blood tests were introduced during the preliminary stages of the deal. No later. This was spoken on last night on FNF.

also floyd has to follow these same "demands" which are simply unannounced random testing. Not to mention top ranks bob arum wanted floyd to sign a 10 million dollar gag order if manny failed a drug test....again noted on FNF last night.

I'm not  a floyd fan, but this is very interesting material and details. Dig and you will find out more than what's being told to the general public. Very fishy .....Manny agreed to 3 test. one of which is 30 days before the fight.....he negotiated that down to 24...floyd said we can do 14 days prior.....they disagreed...the question is why?

yet floyd signed to fight with 8 oz gloves, smaller ring and also lose millions per pound if he comes over....and oh yeah the gag order to keep quit if manny failed a test.

Like I said...do some research on what's really going down here. Stop letting sources feed you what you want to hear and ignore all the details on what happened here.

not trying to hear the "test work" crap either.....mosley passed these same test by the commission and went on the beat delahoya in their rematch and he never failed the commission style tests. He later admitted to unknowingly taking PED's in that rematch.

random unannounced testing creates trepidation to cycle on risking that "maybe" .....you avoid this by simply not taking the fight which the manny camp has done. If you think you can beat mayweather...guess what...you sign the contract...just that simple. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
Pacquiao vs. Clottey

Hell yea!!I knew pacman would jump right back in the ring...while Floyd will just continue to do what he does best...run his mouth...I was sold on Clottey after he broke his hand early in the Margarito fight and still made it a close decision.....then after he beat Diego corrales & zab Judah I knew he could hang with top competition....good for him getting this opportunity and good for pacman for stepping up to fight a tuff competator and not letting the egomaniac mayweather drag shit out any longer....
DAWG

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
pac man is a pussy for not taking this fight because he knows he would get embarrassed just like jmm did. then he sets up a fight against clottey the starving african who cant finish a fight if his life depended on it.

if pac man refused to fight mosley at 140 then refuses to fight mayweather who agreed to 10million dollar penalty for every single pound he is over the weight limit. then the question is when is he going to fight someone who is actually good.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:31 AM »
pac man is a pussy for not taking this fight because he knows he would get embarrassed just like jmm did. then he sets up a fight against clottey the starving african who cant finish a fight if his life depended on it.

if pac man refused to fight mosley at 140 then refuses to fight mayweather who agreed to 10million dollar penalty for every single pound he is over the weight limit. then the question is when is he going to fight someone who is actually good.

He'll get alot of props for fighting the starving clottey who they will build up as a contender, but the fact is he didn't push himself even against cotto. That fight was there for him to take and he didn't go for it for whatever reason..he shelled up big time. He's lost ever major name fight imo with the exception of corrales, whom they'll give him credit for but vs floyd they don't even mention how floyd demolished corrales in his prime (rest his soul)

Like I said...very fishy...very fishy. This fight basically isn't going to happen over a TEN DAY difference in testing. Pac wants 24 days out (after hbo dropped the footage of him) vs Floyd said they will do 14 days out (before the fight)....40-50 million dollars guaranteed over TEN DAYS....c'mon man. LMAO ....for real. LOL.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
Last night Teddy Atlas said he had a very reliable source in the Pac Man camp who actually seemed worried about the testing and what would happen should he come out positive, and also if he did, could it be kept quiet for the sport of boxing's sake.  It's touched on in this article as well from the NYdailynews.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao haven't even signed a contract to fight yet, but Pacquiao is already losing.

Mayweather's request that Pacquiao submit to random drug testing conducted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency before he signs a contract for the fight has put Pacquiao on his heels and put the proposed March 13 bout in jeopardy.

If Pacquiao doesn't agree to the stipulation, then it looks like he's trying to cheat. Pacquiao has never tested positive for any banned substance, but the atmosphere in sports these days is that every athlete is under suspicion of cheating until proven otherwise.

Mayweather-Pacquiao has reignited the passion of the mainstream sports fans for boxing. If Pacquiao wants to keep the flames of that passion hot, he will submit to the Olympic-style testing and go forward with the fight.

If he doesn't, then everyone will assume he is dirty and his accomplishments of the last two years - knocking out Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto - will be clouded by suspicion, and boxing will have suffered yet another blow below the belt.

This isn't some issue that just came about. It has been a part of the contract negotiations for weeks. According to a source familiar with the talks, Pacquiao's representatives asked what penalties Pacquiao would face if he tested dirty, and also if a dirty test result could be kept secret so that the integrity of the fight wouldn't be ruined in the public eye.

Those are disturbing requests. It could just be due diligence on the part of the attorneys negotiating the contract or it could be that Pacquiao has something to hide. The only way to clear up the matter is to agree to the testing. Mayweather has agreed to undergo the same procedures, putting more pressure on Pacquiao.

All of Pacquiao's initial arguments against taking the test are specious at best. He's afraid of needles. (How did he get all those tatoos?) He doesn't want to be weakened by having his blood taken so close to the fight. (What happens when he gets cut in a fight?)

Bob Arum of Top Rank, Pacquiao's promoter, said the Filipino fighter doesn't mind taking urine tests, but he doesn't want to submit to the schedule of blood testing as outlined by the USADA. Arum said Pacquiao wants to do three tests - one given in January during the week the fight is formally announced, one 30 days from the fight, no later than Feb. 13, and the final one immediately following the fight, in Pacquiao's locker room.

Arum's schedule has a loophole big enough for a cheating elephant to step through. It seems Pacquiao has trouble with the term "random," which is the linchpin of any reputable drug testing program. And the argument that he would be weakened if he were to take a blood test the week of the fight doesn't hold water.

"The amount of blood taken is so small it will have zero effect on performance," said Dr. Gary Wadler, the World Anti-Doping Agency chairman of the Prohibited List Committee. "It's really inconsequential when you take into account the total blood volume in the human body. It's not a valid argument."

Pacquiao has fallen under suspicion because of his meteoric rise from featherweight to welterweight in the last two years. In 2008, he won fights at 130, 135 and 142 pounds - an incredible feat in modern boxing. And he has seemingly gotten more powerful as he has risen in weight.

Andre Ward, the WBA 168-pound champion, won a gold medal for the U.S. boxing team at the 2004 Athens Games. He was subjected to testing by the USADA, but he said it never drew blood while he was competing. Ward sides with Mayweather, but can understand Pacquiao's concern over the random testing. He said it's inconvenient, but worthwhile if it keeps you above suspicion. Ward said if there were $40 million at stake, it wouldn't even be a question for him.

"I think he needs to do it so that no one is scratching their head and wondering about him," Ward said. "He needs to clear up any doubt. I agree with Mayweather and his camp. They're doing the right thing. They should take all the precautions to make sure that everything is done right. It's good for the sport."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2009/12/25/2009-12-25_a_test_of_ethics.html#ixzz0cE917xPl
Predictions
 40/61