Author Topic: post some of your favorite covers.  (Read 5610 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: post some of your favorite covers.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 04:24:18 AM »
Rainbow, Since You Been Gone underrated, awesome fucking tune. Leas singer was cool as fuck.

yeah I was surprised to find out it was a cover of a headeast song.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 04:32:00 AM »

who did it better ?
F

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 05:03:30 AM »

yeah I was surprised to find out it was a cover of a headeast song.

Thanks. Never knew that was a cover.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 05:31:11 AM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 06:14:35 AM »

^^one of my faves cuz my name is mentioned in the reults section of the Boston Open Power Meet.

^^^My Carb Cycling article is in it.

^^^ MY recovery from alcoholism article.

I feel like a regular Robert "Fortress" Fortney writing tons {two} of articles for all of these old mags.  LOL  ;D

I`m almost famous................ and if my aunt had balls she`d be my uncle.  :D

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 07:06:01 AM »
Free Ride.. .another awesome tune.

Written by Dan Hartman when he was in the Edgar Winter Group. But then he covered his own song years later.

The original is better though.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2022, 07:12:43 AM »

Written by Dan Hartman when he was in the Edgar Winter Group. But then he covered his own song years later.

Hell yeah,great tune....Edgar Winter is so underrated....dude was insane and was a true master of many instruments......could blow a badass sax.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2022, 07:13:06 AM »
Alright!

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2022, 09:09:36 AM »

^^one of my faves cuz my name is mentioned in the reults section of the Boston Open Power Meet.

I feel like a regular Robert "Fortress" Fortney writing tons {two} of articles for all of these old mags.  LOL  ;D

I`m almost famous................ and if my aunt had balls she`d be my uncle.  :D

I see what you did there  ;D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2022, 02:42:35 PM »
Hendrix's cover of Dylans ''All Along the Watchtower and Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's ''Hurt

...Then all the rest...

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »

I use to by every lifting mag I could find and read them front to back over and over. I would go back years later and read them again ( this is all before the internet) I remember seeing articles by you and Fortress .

DownWithTheShip

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »

DownWithTheShip

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »
I use to by every lifting mag I could find and read them front to back over and over. I would go back years later and read them again ( this is all before the internet) I remember seeing articles by you and Fortress .
I read them all hundreds of times over Cook.....never got tired of them either.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2022, 06:53:24 PM »

One of my favorites back in the day. Dan Hartman was so underrated- and then Rick Derringer's guitar work was fantastic

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2022, 07:38:00 PM »
I saw Rick Derringer for free at a county fair and saw Johnny Winter....Johnny was a shadow of his former self.....one of his rodeies told me all he did all day was sit in a trailer drinking Jack Daniels and listening to Muddy Waters records....he only plsyed an acoustic guitar at this gig and he wasn`t very good........it was sad.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2022, 07:54:23 PM »
I saw Rick Derringer for free at a county fair and saw Johnny Winter....Johnny was a shadow of his former self.....one of his rodeies told me all he did all day was sit in a trailer drinking Jack Daniels and listening to Muddy Waters records....he only plsyed an acoustic guitar at this gig and he wasn`t very good........it was sad.

In his autobiography, “Improvising: My Life in Music,” Larry Coryell wrote about playing
at a blues festival with, among others, Johnny Winter.

He wrote that Winter played a wonderful solo on a particular tune, then proceeded to play
pretty much the same solo over the rest of the songs.  Larry concluded, “If it ain’t broke...”  :D

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2022, 01:29:08 PM »
You goddammed philistines! Try popping a couple doctor-prescribed codeines and sipping a Negroni to these mellow classics. It doesn't get better than that.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »
Any JJ Cale song

Claptons version of After Midnight and Cocaine and Skynards version of Breeze.

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2022, 09:00:38 PM »
Original

Nice cover, that most think is their song?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2022, 04:26:07 AM »
  Springsteen talks Patti Smith and the creation of 'Because the Night' on radio show
Chris Jordan
Asbury Park Press

“Because the Night,” written by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, is one of rock's greatest, and certainly most majestic, songs.

Yet, Springsteen and Smith, who are both Jersey natives, took a circuitous route to the classic. The Boss talked about it Wednesday, June 30, the latest edition of his “From My Home to Yours” radio show on SiriusXM’s E Street Radio.

The theme of the show was “The Night Time Is the Right Time.” The story begins in an orange Mercedes Benz driven by Jimmy Iovine, who was engineering Springsteen's records at the time, and producing Smith's 1978 album, “Easter.”

“He drove me out towards Coney Island, somewhere, and he asked if he could send the E Street Band’s recording of the unfinished ‘Because the Night’ to Patti Smith, who he was producing at the time,” said Springsteen on Wednesday's show. “Now Jimmy had, has always had, and still has some very sly ears. Now me, I had a nice hook and a melody on a song that I could not finish the lyrics for. So Patti took it and turned it into the hit it became, writing a beautiful love song for her husband, Fred ‘Sonic’ Smith. Now it wouldn’t have been a hit if I had finished it and released it. It needed a woman’s voice, it needed Patti’s voice and her vision. She turned it into something that I alone could never have created. And for that, I forever thank my lovely, lovely friend.”

Bruce interview:Boss talks new songs, dialogue for these historic times

Patti Smith performs at Montclair State College on March 18, 1979.
“Because the Night,” with a succinctly epic guitar solo by Lenny Kaye, was released by Smith in March 1978 and it became a Top 20 hit in the U.S and a Top 10 hit in the U.K. The chart placings exceeded anything Springsteen had released at that point. In 1993, 10,000 Maniacs had a hit with an acoustic version.

Patti Smith Band:Remembering Ivan Kral, Patti Smith Group member and New Brunswick video store owner

“I have been at many crossroads in my life where I’ve been offered really big things, a huge amount of money or some kind of contract I’ve turned down because it wasn’t right for me,” said Smith to Billboard in 2018. “It’s not strange that I would have to think about it. But in this instance, we made the right decision. In the end, we were a good match for that particular song. I could have never written a song like that. I’d never write a chorus like that. All I’m saying is he gave us a gift … I would’ve loved (to have) written a song that captured the imagination of the people or the pulse of the people or the beat of the people — but one isn’t good in everything. I have my gifts. That’s a special gift. I really admire pop singers, people that make our hits. I love listening to hit songs. I dance to them; I listen to them. Sometimes people think that because I don’t write them that I’m snobby about it. It’s not that. If I knew how, I would. I haven’t written one. But we did write that.”

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in 1976 by David Gahr.
Springsteen performs the song often in concert — more than 500 times, according to Brucebase. The spotlight often falls on guitarist Nils Lofgen, who routinely delivers a jaw-dropping solo when the E Street Band plays it.

Springsteen delivers a jaw-dropping solo on the track below, filmed in '78.

Springsteen on Broadway review: Boss delivers big on opening night

“Because the Night” has a prominent place in the Smith concert setlist, too. Look for it Sept. 18 as Smith and her band play the first day of the Sea.Hear.Now festival in Asbury Park. Pearl Jam is the headliner that day, and Patti Scialfa, wife of the Boss, is also playing on the 18th.

Before then, Springsteen and Scialfa are starring in "Springsteen on Broadway" at the St. James Theatre in New York.

Wednesday, June 30 radio playlist     
Night by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

(Night Time Is) The Right Time by Ray Charles

Night in my Veins by the Pretenders

Night Train to Memphis by Roy Acuff

Night Train by James Brown

Night Fever by the Bee Gees

Ain't Even Done with the Night by John Mellencamp

Walkin' After Midnight by Patsy Cline

Night of the Drunken Cheerleaders by the Penetrators

Here Comes the Night by Them

Wild Night by Van Morrison

Night Moves by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Because the Night by the Patti Smith Group

A Hard Day's Night by the Ramsey Lewis Trio         

F

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2022, 05:03:26 AM »
One of my fave's. Rhett Forrester and Riot absolutely kill this one.. Epic...

Rhett was murdered by two car-jackers at a red-light in Atlanta many years ago. Sad...
Dark fella's of course...  ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2022, 05:12:23 AM »

Trust me I`m a huge Johnny Winter fan....have been since around 1970 and still am....but at the stage of his life when I saw him he wasn`t doing well health wise and it was reflected in his playing......not a knock, just reality.

Now back in the day he had to be one of the fastest players who never missed a lick......he could crank.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2022, 07:00:35 AM »
Trust me I`m a huge Johnny Winter fan....have been since around 1970 and still am....but at the stage of his life when I saw him he wasn`t doing well health wise and it was reflected in his playing......not a knock, just reality.

Now back in the day he had to be one of the fastest players who never missed a lick......he could crank.
   Some performers can keep their talents to the very end and others just lose it and become sad examples of their former selves. to name a few eddie money , lou gramm, blondie all of whom  I actually saw perform poorly. glen Campbell was performing to the very end forgetting what songs he was singing while suffering from Alzheimer's. It's almost like joe DiMaggio signing baseballs and such till his dying breath which he did.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2022, 07:04:20 AM »

F