Author Topic: Car People: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 7391 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Car People: Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
Mercedes is king when it comes to longevity.  Old Rolls-Royces seem to be able to take a beating and keep ticking beyond 200,000 miles.  I`m not so sure about the new ones, but the 70s and 80s Rolls-Royces are built like bank vaults and will outlive you if taken care of.
bullshit. i never never would buy a benz.
A

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »

Agreed over the last 10 years they have consistently had some of the poorest reliability ratings

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
Agreed over the last 10 years they have consistently had some of the poorest reliability ratings
I was more referring to the 70s and 80s Mercedes.  There is not a car out there today that can best the diesel engine from those times.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

I didn't know you were gay?

???

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
I was more referring to the 70s and 80s Mercedes.  There is not a car out there today that can best the diesel engine from those times.
I was at a car parts place (a yard for recently totalled out cars) and there were several Mercedes 300E's from the 90s you could see that they were over engineers by ther construction. Even with the doors stripped of leather, etc, the doors slammed shut like a bank vault. The leather smelled like quality leather. And with the doors stripped, you see how they constructed them---very block-like...
I might even invest in one one day...

Mercedes used to over-engineer their cars, but when Lexus came on the scene, for Mercedes to compete, they stopped their budget---they were spending more to over-engineer their cars. In a announcement back in 2006, the Prez of MB/D-Chrysler stated that MB's quality would be back to standard.
My mom has a 2009 E350, and no problems (she hardly drives it, so that could be a reason).

Also, Volvo's were longevity kings as well. My dad had a 76 model that had over 250k on it, and this was in the mid 90s.

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
I drove from DC to Florida last year, was great, car still seems to be working just fine LOL.

Last month my dad put his car on the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida, had very good things to say about the trip, but he had a first class ticket/ room.

did it as a passenger once and it ended up being a good time...i just need to find someone i can drag along with me to do half the driving.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:32 PM »
Why did those ass holes at VW put the engine in the front of the new beetles? 

Pissed me off big time...

For front wheel drive which is superior to rear wheel drive...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

gay, and not always true...

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
I have worked for Audi for the past 8 years, mechanical and electronic issues aside, I have never seen one rust unless it had body work done.  Considering that it's Chicagoland with all the salt and brutal winters it's very impressive. The one thing I can definetely say about German cars, is that the metal quality and treatment of the metal at the assembly plants is second to none.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
For packages---the Beetle uses the Golf chassis, so it's cheaper as well...they ain't gonna use a Rear Engine chassis anytime soon. Only Porsche does that, and has engineered the fuck out it...

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »

If you are looking for a daily commuter yes.
If you want something thats more performance oriented, absolutely not.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
If you are looking for a daily commuter yes.
If you want something thats more performance oriented, absolutely not.

Not true...If your definition of performance includes nimble handling...not true.

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
I'd suggest front wheel drive for anyone who enjoys a good penis.

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
fwd is cheaper to build und needs less space than rwd.
and it's more stable on snow and ice

rwd is better on everything else.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2011, 04:34:57 AM »
i'm not a car person but i would be willing to bet that driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car than regular city driving.

"driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car than regular city driving."...FACT !!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »
I've got plenty of money thanks but you should make a purchasing decision based on your own budget not mine. Hope this helps.
It has nothing to do with my purchasing decision...I was responding to you seemingly nonchalant view of "if it beaks down, go get another"

Not everybody has money to go buy a new car right after a car breaks down, or buy a good used cars (CPO), maybe from a private seller---like I found a '91 Mercedes 300CE for $3850 on Craigslist...the car is good condition, and they are known for being bulletproof... Or like this guy i know who got a 1990 Lexus LS400 after one of his cars went up...

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
It has nothing to do with my purchasing decision...I was responding to you seemingly nonchalant view of "if it beaks down, go get another"

Not everybody has money to go buy a new car right after a car breaks down, or buy a good used cars (CPO), maybe from a private seller---like I found a '91 Mercedes 300CE for $3850 on Craigslist...the car is good condition, and they are known for being bulletproof... Or like this guy i know who got a 1990 Lexus LS400 after one of his cars went up...

I think everyone needs a backup ride, mine is a 1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup and it will last long after all daily drivers have met the great junkyard in the sky.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2011, 07:45:42 AM »
i'm not a car person but i would be willing to bet that driving long highway miles is actually easier on your car than regular city driving.

You're quite right, but that's also a red herring.  It is easier on a car than simply driving about the city, but that doesn't mean a 1,000 klick trip isn't unreasonably hard on the automobile, too. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
I think everyone needs a backup ride, mine is a 1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup and it will last long after all daily drivers have met the great junkyard in the sky.

You can`t kill it no matter what you do!

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
Not true...If your definition of performance includes nimble handling...not true.

Maybe you dont understand this concept, so I will explain it to you in the most simple terms. Ideally in a car as far as handling is concerned you want a 50/50 weight split between the front and rear axles. On a FWD vehicle most of the weight sits right over the front axle causing the vehicle to be front heavy and nose dive into turns. On a RWD vehicle you have the  rear axle in the back to even out the weight, and more importantly the engine is mounted longitudaly ( not transverse ) so that puts the transmission toward the center of the vehicle along with the driveshaft running towards the back.

This is fairly basic shit and can be figured out with some common sense.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
Maybe you dont understand this concept, so I will explain it to you in the most simple terms. Ideally in a car as far as handling is concerned you want a 50/50 weight split between the front and rear axles. On a FWD vehicle most of the weight sits right over the front axle causing the vehicle to be front heavy and nose dive into turns. On a RWD vehicle you have the  rear axle in the back to even out the weight, and more importantly the engine is mounted longitudaly ( not transverse ) so that puts the transmission toward the center of the vehicle along with the driveshaft running towards the back.

This is fairly basic shit and can be figured out with some common sense.

I appreciate this post!

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
Not to mention torque steer on powerful fwd cars (the recent Revo Knuckle and torsen equipped cars excepted).

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Not to mention torque steer on powerful fwd cars (the recent Revo Knuckle and torsen equipped cars excepted).

Saab 9-3 Viggen is nearly undriveable under full acceleration due to monster torque steer.  Pretty good forearm workout too.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
Saab 9-3 Viggen is nearly undriveable under full acceleration due to monster torque steer.  Pretty good forearm workout too.
same with the aero 9-3, the steeringwheel shakes like crazy whem you put the pedal to the floor.